Your Morning Coffee Rodgers Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
12 Sep 2023 13:43
I'd rather spend time discussing Jordan Love and the merits of a Don Hutson jersey.
Then look for another thread Ringo. :munch: ;)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

this wouldnt have happened to 12. only 8.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
12 Sep 2023 06:28
^^^YEEESH^^^

That's the best shot of the injury I've seen and it's pretty definitive. That sucker popped and it reverberated all the way up his calf.

Feel bad for Rodgers and the Jets fanbase. His departure from Green Bay was difficult albeit necessary and relatively amicable, and it seemed the best for all parties involved. The NFL is now a worse place with him sidelined despite the baggage he brings.
I feel bad for US. We needed AR to play 65% of NY's snaps to get their #1 pick. :|

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
12 Sep 2023 11:21
So do we think Rodgers stays with the Jets or does he go silent offsite and disappear during the season like Z'darious did?

I could see it both ways actually. Though I tend to lean he will stay with the team. He cares about his image at least in that sense and disappearing would be brutal for it.
IMO it will depend upon how well he recovers from this injury if he plays again in 2024.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Sep 2023 13:55
BF004 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 11:12
Just for funsies...

Available QB's:
Matt Ryan
Phillip Rivers
Tom Brady (lol)
Carson Wentz
Nick Foles
Colt McCoy

Starters they could possibly trade for:
Kirk Cousins
Kyler Murray
Matthew Stafford

Backups who might be better than Wilson
Jacoby Brissett
Kyle Trask
Drew Lock
Teddy Bridgewater
Cooper Rush/Trey Lance
Andy Dalton
Mitch Trubisky
Davis Mills/Case Keenum

For trades, only two that would make sense to me might be Matt Stafford and Kirk Cousins, from a trying to compete standpoint for NY.

Rest aren't really going to come in and do much more for you than Zach Wilson.
Is Jamies Winston (sp?) out there too?
He is on the Saints' roster right now.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pugger wrote:
12 Sep 2023 14:31
Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Sep 2023 13:55
BF004 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 11:12
Just for funsies...

Available QB's:
Matt Ryan
Phillip Rivers
Tom Brady (lol)
Carson Wentz
Nick Foles
Colt McCoy

Starters they could possibly trade for:
Kirk Cousins
Kyler Murray
Matthew Stafford

Backups who might be better than Wilson
Jacoby Brissett
Kyle Trask
Drew Lock
Teddy Bridgewater
Cooper Rush/Trey Lance
Andy Dalton
Mitch Trubisky
Davis Mills/Case Keenum

For trades, only two that would make sense to me might be Matt Stafford and Kirk Cousins, from a trying to compete standpoint for NY.

Rest aren't really going to come in and do much more for you than Zach Wilson.
Is Jamies Winston (sp?) out there too?
He is on the Saints' roster right now.
Yeah, but he’s QB2. He could probably be had.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

BF004 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 10:00
If we didn't force that pick 13 and 15 swap, Jets would have gotten Broderick Jones, we still could have gotten Van Ness, Aaron wouldn't have gotten hurt with Jones at tackle, we'd get that first.

I blame Gute.

Lolol

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pugger wrote:
12 Sep 2023 14:24
APB wrote:
^^^YEEESH^^^

That's the best shot of the injury I've seen and it's pretty definitive. That sucker popped and it reverberated all the way up his calf.

Feel bad for Rodgers and the Jets fanbase. His departure from Green Bay was difficult albeit necessary and relatively amicable, and it seemed the best for all parties involved. The NFL is now a worse place with him sidelined despite the baggage he brings.
I feel bad for US. We needed AR to play 65% of NY's snaps to get their #1 pick. :|
We can still find a HOFer in the second round. All those other teams will pick badly. :beer2:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
12 Sep 2023 17:04
Pugger wrote:
12 Sep 2023 14:24
APB wrote:
^^^YEEESH^^^

We can still find a HOFer in the second round. All those other teams will pick badly. :beer2:
Without Rodgers we are looking at an early 2nd most likely. Still definitely sucks going from a pick in the 20s to probably early 40s. Good thing people snatched Garrett Wilson away from me every chance I got in fantasy.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Are any of you folks knowledgeable about how soon it might be when AR12 gets surgery for his Achille’s?

I’m thinking that he returns in 2024. Gonna track things like he is unless he makes any kind of official announcement. Even that would never come before March, I think.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 11:28
Are any of you folks knowledgeable about how soon it might be when AR12 gets surgery for his Achille’s?

I’m thinking that he returns in 2024. Gonna track things like he is unless he makes any kind of official announcement. Even that would never come before March, I think.
As to the first part, no.

As to the second part, while he assuredly may change his mind 7 times between now and then, he has been reported to have told the trainers he's looking to rehab asap and be ready to play next year. So your assumption holds.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If rodgers was 80% done heading into the darkness before, I think he’s done now heading into this rehab. People don’t recover from Achilles tears at 40.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Sep 2023 11:36
Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 11:28

As to the first part, no.

As to the second part, while he assuredly may change his mind 7 times between now and then, he has been reported to have told the trainers he's looking to rehab asap and be ready to play next year. So your assumption holds.
only 7 times :lol: Rodgers love of the game has him saying stuff now that will be a tough proposition to fulfil, plus this is a great example of Rodgers lack of ability to change his style of play, I think he will always want to dictate his offense over any defense he will ever face, it is truly what I adored about Rodgers, and what I will miss, even though that ability has depleted these last couple years.

a 39 year old with a Achille's tear, to me the time to come back to where he trust that ankle again probably is past the first game of the season next year, Rodgers should take the money and tutor up Wilson and just retire after this season, no one would blame him if he did.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m spending a little time contemplating why the artificial turf might be more likely to cause any injury more than a grass turf.

Regarding Rodgers’ specific injury, in looking at the video, what I see is that he planted that leg into the artificial turf in a way that his toes were more elevated, relative to his ankle/heel than usual. (This might actually be similar to how a sprinter comes out of the blocks as the start of a foot race.) As he was trying to push off to avoid the sack, that would’ve put a LOT of stress on the Achilles Tendon. And that’s not even counting whatever turn/torque he also put into it. The way that I see the artificial turf making a difference, compared to grass, is that artificial turf only has as much give as that half inch (whatever the thickness of the turf is) can afford. Below that is concrete with no give at all. If he had done the same move on grass, the grass and soil both would’ve allowed some give; certainly more than the carpet/concrete.

Are there any other considerations?

I know Bahk69 speaks out about this for a variety of injuries, not merely Achille’s problems.

I’d appreciate any insider feedback about this.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 14:44
I’m spending a little time contemplating why the artificial turf might be more likely to cause any injury more than a grass turf.

Regarding Rodgers’ specific injury, in looking at the video, what I see is that he planted that leg into the artificial turf in a way that his toes were more elevated, relative to his ankle/heel than usual. (This might actually be similar to how a sprinter comes out of the blocks as the start of a foot race.) As he was trying to push off to avoid the sack, that would’ve put a LOT of stress on the Achilles Tendon. And that’s not even counting whatever turn/torque he also put into it. The way that I see the artificial turf making a difference, compared to grass, is that artificial turf only has as much give as that half inch (whatever the thickness of the turf is) can afford. Below that is concrete with no give at all. If he had done the same move on grass, the grass and soil both would’ve allowed some give; certainly more than the carpet/concrete.

I know Bahk69 speaks out about this for a variety of injuries, not merely Achille’s problems.

Florio and Simms had a nice discussion about it yesterday on PFT on YouTube. There thoughts were grass or rather the ground absorbs a lot of shock where turf bounces a lot of that energy back up from where it came.

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Here are some things about AR8 (formerly AR12) that we can consider for a possible comeback.

1. He is a great competitor. He is always driven to compete and raise his level of play. (There are exceptions. He is human, after all.)
2. It seemed that he had a revival of sorts in NY. He knew that a team and GM went out to get him, to make him one of their own. That is something that he values a great deal. It seems clear that this energized him more than what he was the last year in GB. That leads me to next point.
3. His loyalty to NYJ will be great.
4. His competitive nature won’t allow him to “go out” like he did. He wants to go out as a competitor, not an injured guy.
5. He wants to see what would’ve happened when he was teamed with this Jets team and his friends that he had brought in.
6. He still feels the burn to want to play. He recently mentioned what it “might” be like to play until 45. Not that he’s saying he would. But he was estimating and that’s good.
7. Is there a 3% chance that he could get back in time for a playoff run? Recuperation time might be up to 6 months. We still have September (most of it), October, November, December, and then there’s the start of January. That’s four months. Don’t you suppose he’s driven enough to think there’s the smallest hope of all hopes that he could get back in time? (I might also count that toward a legacy thingy, him seeing a miraculous comeback.) I have to admit, I would LOVE this too.

Reasons that he would not be able to do this.

1. His desire to play isn’t there any more. Nah.
2. His body won’t allow as much healing as he would need. I suppose we can’t rule that out. But that’s at least a couple months down the road.
3. If he thinks the team chemistry won’t be right. Time will tell about this too.

I really think there’s a 90% chance that we see him suited up next year. No snowball’s chance in Phoenix otherwise.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
13 Sep 2023 14:51
Scott4Pack wrote:

Florio and Simms had a nice discussion about it yesterday on PFT on YouTube. There thoughts were grass or rather the ground absorbs a lot of shock where turf bounces a lot of that energy back up from where it came.
I hadn’t thought of the bounce. Thanks for mentioning that! I suppose that makes any “wobble” an additional irritant while the tendon is under severe stress?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
13 Sep 2023 14:51
Scott4Pack wrote:

I agree with that, also when on grass the cleats will break free, on turf, not so easily, turf is faster, less maintenance and upkeep cost so naturally owners prefer it.

not sure how well grass would do with roof stadiums, I read that we have a form of duo turf, part grass with some sort of fibers woven in, to many players have joint issues, soft tissue tears, if grass is in fact proven to be more forgiving then I hope every stadium switches to it.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 14:54
Here are some things about AR8 (formerly AR12) that we can consider for a possible comeback.

1. He is a great competitor. He is always driven to compete and raise his level of play. (There are exceptions. He is human, after all.)
2. It seemed that he had a revival of sorts in NY. He knew that a team and GM went out to get him, to make him one of their own. That is something that he values a great deal. It seems clear that this energized him more than what he was the last year in GB. That leads me to next point.
3. His loyalty to NYJ will be great.
4. His competitive nature won’t allow him to “go out” like he did. He wants to go out as a competitor, not an injured guy.
5. He wants to see what would’ve happened when he was teamed with this Jets team and his friends that he had brought in.
6. He still feels the burn to want to play. He recently mentioned what it “might” be like to play until 45. Not that he’s saying he would. But he was estimating and that’s good.
7. Is there a 3% chance that he could get back in time for a playoff run? Recuperation time might be up to 6 months. We still have September (most of it), October, November, December, and then there’s the start of January. That’s four months. Don’t you suppose he’s driven enough to think there’s the smallest hope of all hopes that he could get back in time? (I might also count that toward a legacy thingy, him seeing a miraculous comeback.) I have to admit, I would LOVE this too.

Reasons that he would not be able to do this.

1. His desire to play isn’t there any more. Nah.
2. His body won’t allow as much healing as he would need. I suppose we can’t rule that out. But that’s at least a couple months down the road.
3. If he thinks the team chemistry won’t be right. Time will tell about this too.

I really think there’s a 90% chance that we see him suited up next year. No snowball’s chance in Phoenix otherwise.
I'm not quite sure what the Jets cap situation is and if they have a lot of players that will be Free Agents next year too, so that could play a factor too. I know he's locked in for 2 years but was this really the year? Also, will the Jets consider moving on? I know they're locked in on money though.

Let's face it, we all know what's going to happen. The Jets are going to trade Rodgers to the Vikings and he's going to come within 1 play of going to the Super Bowl. And then the Packers are going to win the Super Bowl the next year.