Week 2 Post-Game: Falcons 25 Packers 24

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 12:03
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:43
Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 10:56

as to stopping the run, we just need better technique defending it, as Lombardi use to scream " grab, grab grab, all I see is you guys grabbing.
More than just that, the scheme was poor against ATL:
I’m not a coach. But I’d like to know what you guys see in this.

What I see is a light box (probably only 6 guys) and Bijan behind the QB. He can probably get to the LOS easily with this scheme. And then it’s easy enough for him to break a tackle and get at least 5 yards a pop. We need another heavy in there, especially if it’s 1st down or even 2nd. Third and long, maybe not. But I still think the Falcons run well enough that we should have at least 3 heavies on virtually every play. Then, keep the 7 or 8 in the box, preferring to stop the run and force Ridder to beat you passing.
It's 13 personnel for the Falcons and even with Pitts, that's not a personnel grouping that calls for nickel. If we are expecting Savage to make that tackle in what becomes a huge hole due to alignment, that's just not a winning formula.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This is just gross from Campbell. While Justis is pointing out Wooden and Enagbare, Campbell is all kinds of wrong and passive here.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Illegal chop block on Wyatt.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 10:56
Captain_Ben wrote:
18 Sep 2023 09:50
How does this team end up getting saddled with these pinhead defensive coordinators for years without any accountability? Between Capers with the 2-5 and Barry with his soft zone, it's enough to send a fan to the looney bin.
lousy talent was the biggest problem during the Capers years, we are running a 2-4/5 now, the problem is the passive zone coverages leave to much space for opposing receivers,

as to stopping the run, we just need better technique defending it, as Lombardi use to scream " grab, grab grab, all I see is you guys grabbing.

Robinson runs like a big Barry Sanders, we have to do better against guys like him.

this was a total 4th quarter let down, all 3 phases did poorly
I agree. We kept Capers on board to run his signature scheme. It's a great scheme if you have all-pro talent at every single position group. The problem was that come hell or highwater, he was going to run that scheme. And it's a dumpster fire when there is not all-pro at every single position group. I don't blame him, I blame McCarthy.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

IT would be interesting to dig into why this was. My assumption is that we played too soft and Ridder was able to hit the hot/quick route.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Labrev wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:35
Someone asked the question a few months ago if we should draft Bijan Robinson if he falls to our pick.

With the exception of me and maybe one other person, everyone was like, no, we are set at RB. :lol: :oops:

Found it! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1100&start=320 :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 12:45

We've finally gotten to the real issue. Love is great. Dillon is actually the best backup RB in the NFL. OL are all rock stars. Defense has like 15 HOF'ers.

The refs screwed us! (Please tell me everyone can see the sarcasm font I used)
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 12:45

We've finally gotten to the real issue. Love is great. Dillon is actually the best backup RB in the NFL. OL are all rock stars. Defense has like 15 HOF'ers.

The refs screwed us! (Please tell me everyone can see the sarcasm font I used)
Ya, wasn't blaming the refs, just pointing it out on this play.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

And last but not least, PH dot com choosing AJ Dillon over Bijan Robinson :rotf: ....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1100&start=320
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
18 Sep 2023 07:28
texas wrote:
18 Sep 2023 01:45
lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Sep 2023 22:28
I thought this when we first hired LaFleur and heard him talk and I’ve said it multiple times here. He doesn’t strike me as someone I would follow into battle. He stutters all over the place when we talks. He talks bigger than he is but isn’t about what he says.

As a member of the military I have seen great leaders speak and seen wannabe leaders try to speak and regurgitate what better leaders have said and that’s what LaFleur reminds me off. He’s a guy who preaches playing hard but coaches a soft team and talks accountability but hires and maintains one of the worst defensive coordinators in the history of the league.
Can you elaborate on this? I tend to prefer the LaFleur type of HC over the rah-rah type of coach but maybe that's not what you're talking about. But in today's NFL it's definitely the smart nerdy guys, the Xs and Os coaches, that win rather than the tough guy, inspire the troops coaches. Like 100% of the time.
You witnessed an example that invalidates your premise just today (yesterday) in Arthur Smith (Falcons HC). Dan Campbell is another one.

I also think you're waaay over-simplifying things with those two basic classifications of coaching types.
Arthur Smith doesn't strike me as a rah-rah coach, so you're wrong there.

Dan Campbell is definitely one. If he somehow wins a Super Bowl with Detroit, he will be the first in a while.

It's true that a coach can be varying degrees of each (rah-rah or X's & O's), but I don't think that many people would argue that LaFleur/Shanahan/etc are significantly more X/O than rah-rah. Belichick is certainly X/O. Reid is mostly X/O. Siriani idk. McVay is more X/O but he also seems to be a good motivator. If Campbell wins, he will be t exception.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Labrev wrote:
18 Sep 2023 15:37

And last but not least, PH dot com choosing AJ Dillon over Bijan Robinson :rotf: ....
Yeah this forum tends to groupthink a lot of wrong opinions when it comes to football matters.

But not to worry, I always enlighten everyone with the correct opinion!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 09:34
Yeah I am not surprised. This backs up what I thought I saw on the field.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Minus the 3rd and 1 play, I thought Dillon was OK yesterday. Not great, not #1 RB quality, but ok. This year is playing out like last year. His eyes are slow. He dances too much. He doesn't power through contact. I hope he can get back on track like last year.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
18 Sep 2023 15:37

Who wanted Dillon more than Robinson? I don’t see it on that page.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
18 Sep 2023 13:25
Labrev wrote:
Someone asked the question a few months ago if we should draft Bijan Robinson if he falls to our pick.

With the exception of me and maybe one other person, everyone was like, no, we are set at RB. :lol: :oops:

Everyone?

I saw 2-3 posters question the wisdom of drafting high on a RB, while weighing other roster priorities, and pointing out the two serviceable RB already on our roster thus making RB a low priority draft position.

That's a far cry from "everyone said we're set at RB" or "choosing Dillon over Bijan Robinson" in a vacuum.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
18 Sep 2023 13:25
Labrev wrote:

ahh this is a no win post, these rafter owls will want to know the name of the Huddle member that agreed with you, and a list of all who disagreed :thwap: Me, I new you where just generalizing to sink in your point, that Robinson will imitate Barry Sanders, and anyone that can do that would look nice in G&G. :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

What in the name of Jerry Kramer are these guys doing…?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
18 Sep 2023 18:14
This is what sucked the most about yesterday. Our two best players are Jaire Alexander and Rashan Gary.

I would put these two as close to the primary reason we lost. They were bad.

It is really hard to win when your stars don't perform.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Our game is being replayed on the NFL Network right now.