Week 14 Post-Game: Giants-24 Packers-22

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Dillon is not a bad runner/RB but even when he's running well, guys like Patrick Taylor look better running the ball in our offense than Dillon. This O is not suited to a north-and-south 'back like him. He needs an offense more like the Ravens'. We need to move on, get some guys who can make things happen on these outside/stretch run plays than Dillon who is just adequate and gets only what's blocked up.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

He averaged 3.5 yards a carry.

That is his average on the year. He is 33rd in yards - only one other rb above him has a average of 3.5 everyone else is higher.

Dillon is not good stop playing.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

3.5 yards a carry moves the chains
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2023 14:07
Dillon was performing fine in this game and he was up for the task of moving the chainst (albeit slowly and not turning the ball over)

the guys a second round pick. We should be fine without Jones from the pure RB perspective. Now, I know we will always miss Jones playmaking ability. But dillon should be, and is...plenty good to carry the load for a game.
No he isn't.

Jennings, reed, Jenkins, Nick Collins, Jordan, davante all 2nd round picks.

Dillon avgs 3.5 yards is 33rd in total yards and only 1 rb above him also averages 3.5 yards. All other rbs have a better average.

Jones is better. Should we move on from Jones? Yes at the price but we should also move on from Dillon.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2023 14:25
No it doesn't. 3.5 yards a carry is likely an 8 yard run and 3 2 yard runs.

You are off here. The guy has no one below him in avg yards that has had decent attempts.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

bud fox wrote:
12 Dec 2023 14:33
Drj820 wrote:

You are off here. The guy has no one below him in avg yards that has had decent attempts.
8-2 first down, 2-2-8, first down, 2-2-2, 4th and 4. 2/3 possessions, it does.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Dec 2023 14:16
Dillon is not a bad runner/RB but even when he's running well, guys like Patrick Taylor look better running the ball in our offense than Dillon. This O is not suited to a north-and-south 'back like him. He needs an offense more like the Ravens'. We need to move on, get some guys who can make things happen on these outside/stretch run plays than Dillon who is just adequate and gets only what's blocked up.
put Dillon behind a better run blocking OL and Dillon can dominate, Taylor will lose you games with his ignorance, just maybe we should make this OL suitable for both styles of RB's as it had been several years back, when Dillon had 900 yrds to compliment Jones 1200.

thing is that Dillon could be a relatively cheap resign, the player imho who we should look to replace is ( hate to see this big hearted kid go) Jones, he's is struggling now two years to try and stay healthy, and thats probably what we can expect in the future, give Dillon a shortish contract, draft a RB high, and make a trade for Barkley, problem solved, production restored, see this GM stuff isn't so hard :woohoo:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Even 2-2-2-8 is a first down.

I don't know why he decided to argue with a post saying Dillon is not a good fit and we should move on, but okay, here is your daily reminder that brd frx is clueless.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
12 Dec 2023 14:43
bud fox wrote:
12 Dec 2023 14:33
Drj820 wrote:

8-2 first down, 2-2-8, first down, 2-2-2, 4th and 4. 2/3 possessions, it does.
color me confused, does this mean that Dillon is a good/poor/acceptable RB #2? or all of thee above :lol:

imo as the blocking goes, so goes Dillon, versus a RB like Jones who can make a big play with poor blocking, the intangibles is what makes a RB like Jones expensive

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Dec 2023 14:50
Even 2-2-2-8 is a first down.

I don't know why he decided to argue with a post saying Dillon is not a good fit and we should move on, but okay, here is your daily reminder that brd frx is clueless.
why are you arguing he isn't? We still run between the tackles a lot, Dillon banged those gaps for near 900 yrds 2 years ago, just saying, I think he and Jones where a very effective tandem, the OL just hasn't been run blocking as well, and Dillon misses the stretch run ability of Jones, Dillon is to predictable as the feature RB.

good luck getting a play caller to stick with the run if all it produces is 6yrds on the first 2 downs, it wont happen often, 3rd and 3 is the cut off to run on 3rd down, even that doesn't happen much, even less against a defense tops at stopping the run, jmo.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

I'm not saying Love didn't suck last night. He did. But Love's bad games are a LOT more entertaining for me to watch than AR's bad games were. As a viewer, anything is better than watching the QB hold the ball for 13 seconds, roll out, get sacked, or throw out of bounds. That ultra conservative play style might have been more conducive to winning (not sure) but it was absolutely mind numbingly boring to watch game in and game out when AR was in a funk.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's take a look at Dillon in this game:
1st Q
2nd Q
3rd Q
4th Q
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
12 Dec 2023 15:11
I'm not saying Love didn't suck last night. He did. But Love's bad games are a LOT more entertaining for me to watch than AR's bad games were. As a viewer, anything is better than watching the QB hold the ball for 13 seconds, roll out, get sacked, or throw out of bounds. That ultra conservative play style might have been more conducive to winning (not sure) but it was absolutely mind numbingly boring to watch game in and game out when AR was in a funk.
nothing drives me crazier then watching a QB miss a stationary receiver less then 15 yards away, I'll take the scrambling Rodgers over that for sure, when we had receivers getting open on schedule Rodgers didn't leave the pocket, once they where gone he had little choice but to extend plays, course extending plays was his M O, he was noted to get into a funk about it as well :lol:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Take this in for a second forum ... you are saying that the rb with the worst avg in the league is a good rb.

It is like saying the person who came last in a race is good.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

I will mention one of my thoughts I had post game. When I see some of the runs Patrick Taylor made and a few of Dillons, my past eye test tells me that Young healthy Aaron Jones is ripping runs of much longer than the former mentioned RBs. The team has missed that the entire year. Now we call Jet sweeps and reverses to try to take the place of a what was a more potent running game in years past. Some are nice plays, but it seems clear you can't go to well too often. Among other things that need to happen, the team needs RB production similar to past years. Young healthy Aaron Jones was dynamic.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

bud fox wrote:
12 Dec 2023 15:46
Take this in for a second forum ... you are saying that the rb with the worst avg in the league is a good rb.

It is like saying the person who came last in a race is good.
It is saying there is some wisdom in volume even if not as effective as you would like. We have seen, particularly Rodgers/MM offenses become overly one dimensional and we know it is not a recipe for success.

Read More. Post Less.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I don't think Dillon is a bad back, it's just that he's a bad primary back. I like a bulldozer that can punish up the middle, but as a "thunder" complement to a "lightning" back. When AJ has been used in that capacity I think he even fits this offense alright. He's just not made to be a primary back in a system like ours.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Pugger wrote:
12 Dec 2023 13:21
texas wrote:
12 Dec 2023 02:34
This stuff happens with a young team like ours. Should have been able to blow these guys out, it really was a team effort in finding a way to lose.

This will cool down the Love franchise QB talk I suppose; some of those 1st half throws were probably worse throws than any Rodgers has ever made. But I still expect him to continue to improve and be the franchise QB we are all hoping, he just isn't there yet.

As disappointing as he played (and he did enough to win, he was just disappointing based on his recent play), the defense really let us down. They couldn't stop NYG in the 2nd half at all, they just moved the ball at will on us, with no-name Devito no less (who btw is annoying af, I hate that guy, idk why (probably because he beat us with dumb QB runs that don't require any talent)). I'm probably the biggest Barry defender around (by merely taking the stance that he shouldn't be fired), and I am scratching my head about that game. NYG sucks ass and we lost to them. Yuck.
I think you should reassess your stance on Barry. Even without Jaire, Stokes and Quay we have enough good players on that side of the ball who shouldn't allow a terrible NYG team run roughshod over us like countless other teams have.
I don’t agree that we have enough good players without those 3.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The best runner not named Jones is Wilson. But he is also hurt.

As for Dillon, he is not a good fit behind an Oline that does not run block well. But that does not mean he should walk. The current weak link in the Oline is JRJ and he will not be starting for the Packers next year - that alone will make Dillon look better. We should also expect that our 3 rookie TE's will be better blockers next season.

Dillon is also not 100% healthy.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Madcity_matt wrote:
12 Dec 2023 09:17
TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Dec 2023 08:58
Last week I posted that we would not really know how much of the recent success was due to a healthy Watson and how much to Love.

Now we know.

But the O still did enough to win. Fire Barry
It seems pretty clear that we are a very different team with Watson on the field. Question is if they can figure out a way to keep him on the field.
Once you have a problematic long term hammy issues. Always will