Divisional Round Games

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:51
Pugger wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:41
Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:37

I couldn't watch/consume anything football until April after the 2014 loss in Seattle...
I hear ya, but to cry?
Good thing you didn't hang out with me in January 2021 and January 2022.
:lol:

I just found it rather sad to see that man sobbing like that openly in the stands after the game. I recall feeling terrible, especially after Fail Mary and playoff loses, Even though I am a woman I never cried. I just swore like a drunken sailor. :censored: :swear:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:37
Pugger wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:33
Did any of you guys see that Bills fan after the game sobbing? It sucks to lose as we know all too well but to cry like that after a football game? This poor guy needs a hobby...
I couldn't watch/consume anything football until April after the 2014 loss in Seattle...
I still will not watch any replay of SB 32.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:30
Scott4Pack wrote: But the league cannot award a defense with possession when they never gained possession of the ball.
You can make the same argument that the offense lost possession and didn’t recover it.

I’m with @YoHoChecko. The impetus is on the offense to retain possession. If the defense makes a play causing them to lose possession and it goes through the endzone, they should receive the reward.
A loss of possession is not determined by a fumble, but by who recovers the fumble.

In this rule, the offense is penalized for fumbling while the defense is awarded for a possession that they did not earn (having not recovered the fumble).
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:08
APB wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote: But the league cannot award a defense with possession when they never gained possession of the ball.
You can make the same argument that the offense lost possession and didn’t recover it.

I’m with @YoHoChecko. The impetus is on the offense to retain possession. If the defense makes a play causing them to lose possession and it goes through the endzone, they should receive the reward.
A loss of possession is not determined by a fumble, but by who recovers the fumble.

In this rule, the offense is penalized for fumbling while the defense is awarded for a possession that they did not earn (having not recovered the fumble).
Then should fumbling out the side/back of your own end zone not be a safety? Should a punt/kick out of the end zone not be a touchback?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:10
Scott4Pack wrote:
APB wrote:

Then should fumbling out the side/back of your own end zone not be a safety? Should a punt/kick out of the end zone not be a touchback?
If you fumble out of the back of your own End Zone, then the other side still hasn't recovered a fumble. So, if I want to be consistent, I would suggest the rules could make it where the defense gains possession at the 10 or 20, and not be a safety. I don't know how you could make it where the fumbling team retains the ball because it isn't like they could be backed up further. It's an interesting thought anyhow.

At least with the Safety, that's only 2 points. But I could argue that the team that gains the possession should have an option of some kind. What about an option for a free kick from the 40 in lieu of the 2 points? (And then if they score they still kick off.)

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
APB wrote:

A kickoff or punt is a transfer of possession to the opposing team. So that team should get the ball regardless. But if the kick goes out of the back of the EZ, that's simple enough. Possession at the 25. I don't see a conflict there.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

As easily as you can say, ‘just don’t fumble’. Can just say to the D, ‘just recover the fumble’ if you want the ball.

I hate it, won’t change my mind.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:36
Pckfn23 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

A kickoff or punt is a transfer of possession to the opposing team. So that team should get the ball regardless. But if the kick goes out of the back of the EZ, that's simple enough. Possession at the 25. I don't see a conflict there.
There isn't a conflict, you are correct, because it is consistent.

A kickoff is not a simple transfer of possession. You can onside kick and you can recover a kick should the other team not possess it. On the other hand a punt is. That is interesting as variations forms of football treat it as a kick that can be recovered, resulting in a 1st down for your team.

All in all it is the most consistent to call it a touchback.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2024 14:04
go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:38
Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:29

actually what we are discussing happened prior to the enemy's house, the ball rolling through the enemy's house and then out of bounds is still possession lost and out of bounds, same as in the field of play, to me it's just a tit for tat rule by the nfl attempting parody, it's just another way to keep offenses in check.

but this is JMO :mrgreen:
It's a football rule. It's been around I believe since the beginning of the game. I don't think there was thoughts of "parody" when it was created.

All football leagues follow it for the exception fo the USFL/XLF changed the rule in its league in 2023.

It is not a new rule. It also not unique to the NFL.
when did it become the rule, I seriously see NO reason for it other then to limit the offense, which the officials where able to do by not calling Hardeman down prior to the fumble, if they had we wouldn't even be discussing this.
Talk to Walter Camp about it.

I'm just the messenger.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

My heart says LIONS. My head says RAVENS. I'm talking NFC and AFC Championship Games, respectively.

As long as the Niners lose again, and Taylor and Kelce depart the pattern ....... I'll be happy. :messedup:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:54
The bills are just like us over last decade

The chiefs are our niners
The one silver lining (silver lining isn't technically the correct phrase but it's close enough) when we lose to the 49ers is that they have never won it all either when they have beaten us. Hopefully that streak continues. When we get heartbroken, so do they.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

image.png
image.png (427.18 KiB) Viewed 453 times

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:38
All football leagues follow it for the exception fo the USFL/XLF changed the rule in its league in 2023.
What is their rule?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

found this, other articles believe we'll adopt this to in the next owners meeting.

The USFL and XFL have revised their rules to eliminate the provision by which a forward fumble out of the end zone automatically results in possession for the other team, according to a Tuesday report from the NFL officiating website Football Zebras.

According to the report, a forward fumble out of the end zone in a USFL or XFL game will reportedly result in “no change of possession and the ball (reverting) back to the spot of the fumble”—a complete break with a rule in force in the professional game for a hundred years.

Additionally, “if the ball is touched by any player who is also touching the end line, the ball will return to the fumbling team,” according to the Football Zebras report.

The invocation of the rule in the NFL is relatively rare, but it has popped up at critical junctures to widespread disapproval. For instance, the Browns had a potentially critical touchdown taken off the board in a 2020 divisional playoff game against the Chiefs when wide receiver Rashard Higgins fumbled the ball forward out of the end zone.

The XFL and USFL will begin their seasons on Feb. 18 and April 15, respectively.

Sports Illustrated

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

AFCCG...

Chiefs go for it on 4th and 1, up by 7, at Bal 10ish yard line. Trying to put game kind of away. Came up short.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’ve been saying all postseason this Ravens team is not that good. They have a good regular season team but it’s not built for the playoffs. Their receivers just aren’t good enough and Lamar isn’t the kind of passer to excel in the playoffs either.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Spags is the anti-Joe Barry.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I feel like Brian Flores established this like 3 years ago but if you blitz Lamar every play he folds up like a chair in the basement of a church for an AA meeting.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
28 Jan 2024 16:14
Spags is the anti-Joe Barry.
yep, Attack the QB, if 4 isn't enough bring another, press the receivers, make them earn every inch. :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Fug Zay.

You are so good and so just beating yourself