Post-Game: 49ers 24 Packers 21

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

The only thing that's the "same ol" is me cussing at my television during the playoffs.

This loss was just another day at the office fellas.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 00:03
Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:59
APB wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:57

:lol: :lol:

Shame you? I said some takes were hilarious. And they are.

Same old Packers? Choked another season away?

If you came away from this game thinking this is just another loser Packer team, that’s hilarious to me. These kids played their hearts out and achieved more than any of us dreamed they would. Sure, they came up short as many young teams often do but they never backed down from the challenge and arguably outplayed the mighty 49ers. On a short week. On the road. In the rain.

Be disappointed. But save the whiny, snively, “same old Packers” talk for your psychiatrist. These Packers are ballers and are just getting started.
Kids?

This is pro football.
That’s all you got? Weak.

:lol:
Wasn’t trying to argue buddy. You just called them kids. I consider them professionals and adults. This modern mental disease of extended adolescence is a communist tactic to delay the youth from building their own wealth…because once they do that, they turn conservative. I’ve never bought into it.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 00:05
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Kids?

This is pro football.

Wasn’t trying to argue buddy. You just called them kids. I consider them professionals and adults. This modern mental disease of extended adolescence is a communist tactic to delay the youth from building their own wealth…because once they do that, they turn conservative. I’ve never bought into it.
You’re hilarious.

Again.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Kids?

This is pro football.

Not your friend, buddy.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 00:07
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

Wasn’t trying to argue buddy. You just called them kids. I consider them ;) professionals and adults. This modern mental disease of extended adolescence is a communist tactic to delay the youth from building their own wealth…because once they do that, they turn conservative. I’ve never bought into it.
You’re hilarious.

Again.

;) ;)

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
extended adolescence is a communist tactic to delay the youth from building their own wealth…because once they do that, they turn conservative.
Communist China builds their own wealth far better than any conservatard country. :rotf:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

TheGreenMan wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:14
I think some of you need to go back and watch 2014. Not even on the same level.

The entire state of Wisconsin had the champagne popped then.
Agreed lol.

Also the expectations this year were just let's hope Jordan Love doesn't totally suck. Hell, the expectations 3 weeks ago were let's just hope that we slip into the playoffs for the sake of experience and fire Joe Barry in the offseason

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

German_Panzer wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:48
I thought initially we have a 10-year-window now, but upon consideration we only have a window till Love will demand big bucks bc that is usually when awesome teams collapse into just good teams bc after paying your QB a king's ransom you cannot complement his team with other game changers anymore. So how long is the window?
No, because currently, we are tying up $40 million in Rodgers this year. So at worst we just give Love that money and go into the next 4 years with the exact same team, until all of the other guys need new deals too. But in reality, it's probably even better than that.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:16
go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:12

I am going to be emotional. This one downright pisses me off. I think I'm most pissed at the football gods now.

Why do they hate us?
Being emotional is cool for fans. APB shouldn’t have tried to shame us. We all know it was a good year overall

If you came away from this game thinking this is just another loser Packer team, that’s hilarious to me. These kids played their hearts out and achieved more than any of us dreamed they would. Sure, they came up short as many young teams often do but they never backed down from the challenge and arguably outplayed the mighty 49ers. On a short week. On the road. In the rain.

Be disappointed. But save the whiny, snively, “same old Packers” talk for your psychiatrist. These Packers are ballers and are just getting started.
Sorry, they choked. They're the ones that need psychiatrists because they all played their worst when the pressure was highest. Offense, defense, and kicker: all had their worst play come at the end, despite coming into the stretch run with a lead. That's pretty much the definition of choking, and it's what the Rodgers-era Packers teams did repeatedly. We still have his losing aura. Maybe we'll shake it off but tonight was the same old Packers, despite how great of a season this was overall and how much room they have given us for optimism going forward.

You see it frequently: a young team heats up toward the end of the season, makes the playoffs (or doesn't), get beaten relatively early, then comes back the next year and dominates. 2012 Seahawks, 2022 Eagles, 2018 Niners, 2009 Packers come to mind. We could do that. But it doesn't change the fact that for right now, we still are weak losers who didn't make the tough plays that the opponent did make.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

IMO the collapse in the 2014 loss was so brutal because it all came so closely together. This one was just stretched out over a game. Dropped pick 6. Dropped pick. Couldn’t finish big kick returns or runs. Tipped INTs the 49ers did finish. Bad last pass by Love where he reverted to early season Love. Awful $%@# tackling. Poor decision to go for a 4th down and a missed kick by Carlson. Not replacing Carlson on clutch kicks in the first place.

This was a game we dominated but we clearly made too many mistakes and didn’t capitalize on the other teams. Start to finish I just got vibes of a choke job.

Ultimately this was a missed opportunity but where the team failed was in its roster building. The safety position absolutely failed in this game. Both Savage and Owens were awful tonight. Probably historically awful for a safety duo. I’m interested to see PFFs grades.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
21 Jan 2024 00:04
The only thing that's the "same ol" is me cussing at my television during the playoffs.

The same ole is the players on the field not making plays. Interceptions in this one were to be had. We turned the ball over despite dominating. We didn’t tackle.

This was less a mistake in coaching but more of the players on the field. I’ve said this all season but the coaches put players in position and they didn’t execute.

I’m proud of how this team rallied the second half of the season. I think the future is bright. At the same time this was a massive missed opportunity that could have been overcome by the players on the field making the plays they were put in position to make.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2024 02:06
TheGreenMan wrote:
21 Jan 2024 00:04

The same ole is the players on the field not making plays. Interceptions in this one were to be had. We turned the ball over despite dominating. We didn’t tackle.

This was less a mistake in coaching but more of the players on the field. I’ve said this all season but the coaches put players in position and they didn’t execute.

I’m proud of how this team rallied the second half of the season. I think the future is bright. At the same time this was a massive missed opportunity that could have been overcome by the players on the field making the plays they were put in position to make.
Sorry, the biggest mistake of the game was the failed QB sneak when SF was clearly expecting it. That is 100% on MLF and not on the players. Call a TO and change the play.

But the fact remains, the Packers massively overachieved with the youngest roster in the league and a QB entering his first season as a starter and a DC that played soft for about 8 games in the middle of the season when he should have trusted his players and played aggressive.

Another good draft, add a safety and a swing backup tackle that can play. Maybe upgrade the long snapper so the kicker gets a clean spot. And remind the DC every week of what almost got him fired. The Packers have a late 1st, 2 seconds and 2 thirds and only safety is urgent. Campbell is probably only good for 1 more season so a project at ILB needs to be drafted high too. Oh, and Nixon needs to go back to being a KR and a backup unless he improves next season, so slot CB is a draft need.

The team was tight. That was to be expected. The fact that they held their own in a game like this is a positive. The refs were not impartial either, but that is to be expected on the road also.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 22:40

This was an awful thing for Lafleur to say. Show unrelenting confidence in your kicker or find a new one
I don't have a problem with him saying this. What's he supposed to say,"I have all the faith in the world in Carlson" (under his breath saying "missing this kick")? I pray every time he comes out too. Carlson needs to know he will not be around forever if he keeps missing kicks.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Kids?

This is pro football.

Communist tactic? Actually, in the USSR the youths were treated as full adults way before they are in our society. I know this because my wife grew up in the USSR. She had her Master's in electrical engineering at the age of 20. Really bad metaphor!

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

texas wrote:
21 Jan 2024 01:25
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:16

Being emotional is cool for fans. APB shouldn’t have tried to shame us. We all know it was a good year overall

Sorry, they choked. They're the ones that need psychiatrists because they all played their worst when the pressure was highest. Offense, defense, and kicker: all had their worst play come at the end, despite coming into the stretch run with a lead. That's pretty much the definition of choking, and it's what the Rodgers-era Packers teams did repeatedly. We still have his losing aura. Maybe we'll shake it off but tonight was the same old Packers, despite how great of a season this was overall and how much room they have given us for optimism going forward.

You see it frequently: a young team heats up toward the end of the season, makes the playoffs (or doesn't), get beaten relatively early, then comes back the next year and dominates. 2012 Seahawks, 2022 Eagles, 2018 Niners, 2009 Packers come to mind. We could do that. But it doesn't change the fact that for right now, we still are weak losers who didn't make the tough plays that the opponent did make.
That's called learning what it takes to win. It's not choking. 2014 was choking. These comparisons to that 2014 team are ludicrous! Look at the better Packer teams of the past. They all needed to learn to win in big games. The 1960 Packers lost the championship but learned what it takes to win. The 1996 Packers had to learn this lesson by losing to Dallas in the big game. I hated losing this game that should have been won and I get that these kinds of chances don't come along that often, but this doom and gloom attitude is hard to understand.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 05:42
texas wrote:
APB wrote:

That's called learning what it takes to win. It's not choking. 2014 was choking. These comparisons to that 2014 team are ludicrous! Look at the better Packer teams of the past. They all needed to learn to win in big games. The 1960 Packers lost the championship but learned what it takes to win. The 1996 Packers had to learn this lesson by losing to Dallas in the big game. I hated losing this game that should have been won and I get that these kinds of chances don't come along that often, but this doom and gloom attitude is hard to understand.
Well said, [mention]williewasgreat[/mention]! :clap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:02
williewasgreat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 05:42
texas wrote:

Well said, @williewasgreat! :clap:
Ditto, we also lost in 2009 to the Cardinals, prior to every SB or champoinship we faltered the season prior, I bet if I researched the 1930's 3 peat, we probably had a strong run up to those Champs teams too.

got ta learn to walk before you can run

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Another year, another time where we have an obvious weakness that everyone knows will cost us come playoff time, and we do absolutely nothing about it but “pray” (per the head coach)

Whether it was drayton and the STs

Whether it was a terrible DL that couldn’t stop the run, when there were options to beef up the DL

Whether it was no help at WR behind davante Adams

Or this year…where the kicker has missed a kick in what-10 straight games? And we just pretended that wouldn’t cost us a game….when there are kickers on the street who could at least give Carlson competition…

that aspect was your “same ol Packers”

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:16
Another year, another time where we have an obvious weakness that everyone knows will cost us come playoff time, and we do absolutely nothing about it but “pray” (per the head coach)

Whether it was a terrible DL that couldn’t stop the run, when there were options to beef up the DL

Or this year…where the kicker has missed a kick in what-10 straight games? And we just pretended that wouldn’t cost us a game….when there are kickers on the street who could at least give Carlson competition…

Carlson cost them a tie.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:16

hard to argue about not bringing Crosby or another kicker in, thing is when your dealing with the confidence factor adding competition is a two way street, actually 3 way, it can push and inspire better performance from #1, cause him to try harder with worse results, or the worst of all, you end up with two lousy kickers that can't be depended upon.

we lost Wyatt in the 3rd Q, and Barry's track record of opting for max coverage when the going gets tough reared it's ugly head again, 4 man pass rush faltered and Purdy completed passes, and we lost, coupled with missed pics, it was to much to over come.