Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Guess we should plan on kissing Aaron Jones good bye, now.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wow

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Let's see if it works out better for them than it has for 90% of others that have done this.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

more and more it seems that your not paid so much because of the position you play, but the overall production you provide from it.

this is a bummer, Jones provides huge % of our offense, I thought 10 per might do it, now I don't think I'am even close, I have to go check McCaffery's stats, but I expect there really good.

I'am still hoping for the home town discount

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
13 Apr 2020 15:33
Let's see if it works out better for them than it has for 90% of others that have done this.
That's what worries me about signing Jones to a high priced long turn contract.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Apr 2020 15:46
more and more it seems that your not paid so much because of the position you play, but the overall production you provide from it.

this is a bummer, Jones provides huge % of our offense, I thought 10 per might do it, now I don't think I'am even close, I have to go check McCaffery's stats, but I expect there really good.

I'am still hoping for the home town discount
McCaffrey had around 130 more total touches and 800 more yards than Jones, and is a superstar and a ticket seller.

Does not mean 10M would do it for Jones. I'd guess 11-12M per year as a UFA.

If I were an RB, I'd never ever give a hometown discount, since the time to max the cash is likely super short.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

McCaffrey is nearly as much WR as he is RB.

This will change the RB market some, but not as much as if McCaffrey was a RB only workhorse back.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Affordable QB's for the next 4-5 years with Teddy and a draft pick so they could afford a little more. As much as I love Aaron Jones, no way I pay him close to those numbers. Interesting to see how much they run him vs swing passes and such. At that price you have to prevent him from pounding up the middle too much.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Well figure out the average ratio of Jones to McCafferynon things like yards, catches, total yards, TD, and offer him that.

McCaffery is a stud of studs, Jones still maybe only worth 10 per.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Maybe the value of RBs will change in the next year. It has happened in the draft. Not long ago, the saying was that you NEVER use a round 1 pick for a RB. That's changed. Maybe FA will change too. We could hope.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

McCaffrey earned every penny of that deal. There is a reason they gave it to him early too. I dont think his money affect Jones toooo much though, they havent had the same type of career at all. McCafrey has been their entire offense for 3 full seasons, stayed healthy, and certainly has a few years left in his tank. Jones has only been "most" of our offense for one year. McCafrey is everything for them and i am happy for him.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Jones was used as a wide out, but with only a couple routes, and only till DC's decided to devote more help to shut those routes down, same with the shorter routes, Lafluer was not able to design or implement more then just a handful of up tempo gadget plays for Jones or anyone else, thats why we never saw more then 2 or 3 offensive series of them per game, DC's aren't stupid, ya do something to much, and they will make you pay for it.

thats why I say, some players will benefit more then others with a 2nd season of a coaches schemes, simply due to more diversity,( lack of film to figure out how to stop the play) and player experience, course it doesn't look like we'll even have installs or Rookie Camps, possibly not even a season. so it's probably a mute point.

I think people pigeon hole this RB is a 4 year rotational thingie to death, mostly I think folks want cheap production, everyone wants a QB on a rookie contract to, to me thats a luxury that isn't always reasonable, imo production is the most important thing, then the money that ya pay for it, and ya have to do that balancing act, so if you have any doubts about replacing said production, or even coming close, then ya pony up the bucks, imho it's a pretty big gamble to even take a highly rated RB and expect that he can replace Jones Production.
and we are relying much more on the run now, so I expect we'll see a large dose of Jones.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Rumors of OBJ to the Vikings for a 2nd and 5th in 2021. If true horrible deal for Browns and how the hell do the Vikings afford this?
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
15 Apr 2020 10:15
Rumors of OBJ to the Vikings for a 2nd and 5th in 2021. If true horrible deal for Browns and how the hell do the Vikings afford this?
Kirk couldn't handle the ego of Diggs, but he is supposed to manage OBJ? okay.

However, getting OBJ for less than they traded Diggs away for is definitely a win for MN, IMO. If they don't have to give up either of their 2020 1sts to get OBJ, also a big win.

Vikings have like >12 million in cap space now after restructuring Kirk, releasing Griffin and trading Diggs.

Their cap gotta get ugly real soon, hope they draft well.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

OBJ has a cap hit of $14 million in base salary for 2020. Vikings have just over $12 in cap space. That can't afford a trade for OBJ without releasing some players or extending Reiff, Harrison, or Harris. Those are literally their only options to fit him under their cap situation.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 10:51
OBJ has a cap hit of $14 million in base salary for 2020. Vikings have just over $12 in cap space. That can't afford a trade for OBJ without releasing some players or extending Reiff, Harrison, or Harris. Those are literally their only options to fit him under their cap situation.
They can always re-do OBJ's contract, which IMO is the most likely option, probably along with something else.

Either blow up his contract and start over, or can move a majority of that $14 million base salary into a signing bonus.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 10:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
They can always re-do OBJ's contract, which IMO is the most likely option, probably along with something else.

Either blow up his contract and start over, or can move a majority of that $14 million base salary into a signing bonus.
That's true. That would be some cap magic to get his cap hit under $12 million and meet his demands (they have to be high).

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 11:06
BF004 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 10:59
Pckfn23 wrote:

That's true. That would be some cap magic to get his cap hit under $12 million and meet his demands (they have to be high).
I think the rules are you need the cap space to trade for his current contract, first, and then you could re-do the contract. So I think Minnesota would still have to make other maneuvers first.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I suppose they could trade a player like Anthony Barr and it would work out.