Packers Resign Kevin King - 1 year $6 million

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think the biggest thing to look at is potential window and ability to make moves. We are looking for a 2 year window here and we don't have a lot of room to make huge moves. If we wanted to collapse it into a 1 year window we could make some noise, but I think that would a poor strategy.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Mar 2021 12:43
I think the biggest thing to look at is potential window and ability to make moves. We are looking for a 2 year window here and we don't have a lot of room to make huge moves. If we wanted to collapse it into a 1 year window we could make some noise, but I think that would a poor strategy.
See I think we did make major moves.

It's just that the players we made the major moves for played for the Packers in 2020.

I didn't expect King, Preston, Lowry or Jones to be on the 2021 roster. All of 4 of them look like they will be which comes at a major financial cost if you look at either move through the lenses of the 2021 cap or 2022 and beyond cap.

Are they the right moves? I don't know. I think that is the larger debate. But I certainly wouldn't call them conservative moves. This is "all in" type of moves that again is really putting most of our 3 - 4 year resources in a 2 year window.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I heard this on the radio yesterday and LOL so loud! This is a typical Gute move. I have no idea how the team got to NFCCG the last two years with all the bad decisions he has made in the draft and spending money on players who didn't deserve it. I mean, signs King and not Linsley. :dunno: Wish we had pre-2011 TT back.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Mar 2021 14:27
I heard this on the radio yesterday and LOL so loud! This is a typical Gute move. I have no idea how the team got to NFCCG the last two years with all the bad decisions he has made in the draft and spending money on players who didn't deserve it. I mean, signs King and not Linsley. :dunno: Wish we had pre-2011 TT back.
I friend of mine did something very similar recently. He bought a $500K house and let some idiot stranger walk into the $1M one. What a dork.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the draft is mostly about tomorrow, UFA is about today, and in that regard Guty has hit home runs, I didn't care for using slot 12 on Gary after we just bought the Smiths, and I hate the love pick, imo those two picks should have went for more needy positions on players near ready to start or rotate in regularly, Guty is a lot more aggressive then Ted ever was, good thing because thats the kind of GM ya need with UFA.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
24 Mar 2021 14:45
I didn't care for using slot 12 on Gary after we just bought the Smiths, and I hate the love pick, imo those two picks should have went for more needy positions on players near ready to start or rotate in regularly, Guty is a lot more aggressive then Ted ever was, good thing because thats the kind of GM ya need with UFA.

How am I first hearing this now?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
the draft is mostly about tomorrow, UFA is about today, and in that regard Guty has hit home runs, I didn't care for using slot 12 on Gary after we just bought the Smiths, and I hate the love pick, imo those two picks should have went for more needy positions on players near ready to start or rotate in regularly, Guty is a lot more aggressive then Ted ever was, good thing because thats the kind of GM ya need with UFA.
The draft is mostly about tomorrow and UFA is about today. Guty has done a great job at that but I am mad he didn't use his draft to think about today and instead draft for tomorrow. ;) :rotf:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Mar 2021 15:38
Yoop wrote:
The draft is mostly about tomorrow and UFA is about today. Guty has done a great job at that but I am mad he didn't use his draft to think about today and instead draft for tomorrow. ;) :rotf:
whaaaaaaaa ha

I don't know why people don't think 1st rounders should start, look around the league, teams including us start first round rookies every season, and specially so at CB, if we hadn't bought two Smiths Gary would have started as a rookie, and a half doz rookie receivers played very well last year, and there are a half doz QB's in this draft class with about the same pedigree as Love, what was the rush.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Eh, he's better than we've had at #2 CB otherwise for quite some time.

Has to be about the most Jeckyll/Hyde player I've ever seen. There's just nothing between the hot and cold, he's pretty good one week then absolutely god awful the next.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
24 Mar 2021 16:02
Eh, he's better than we've had at #2 CB otherwise for quite some time.

Has to be about the most Jeckyll/Hyde player I've ever seen. There's just nothing between the hot and cold, he's pretty good one week then absolutely god awful the next.
I think it's because he's almost always nursing a a minor injury that allows him to play, just not at a 100%, really says alot for Jackson and Sullivan etc, that the coach's still think a diminished King is better then they are.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Didn't our defense play pretty darn well without King in the lineup early in the season? Wasn't there even a stretch of a game without both starting CBs but we still won? Am I crazy?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Mar 2021 16:24
Didn't our defense play pretty darn well without King in the lineup early in the season? Wasn't there even a stretch of a game without both starting CBs but we still won? Am I crazy?
I think I was thinking of when he left the Atlanta game, but Julio Jones also left injured... the next few games without him were a mixed bag.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Mar 2021 16:24
Overall I would say no.

Jackson got picked on pretty good vs Tampa and then we beat the Texans.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
24 Mar 2021 15:38
Yoop wrote:
I was thinking the same thing when reading that. Kinda foiled his own write-up in the very same post... :lol:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
24 Mar 2021 11:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Mar 2021 10:46
What are some examples of aggressive management? I am seriously curious.
I think the most obvious is what the Saints did in 2018 and 2019 as well as what the Eagles did in 2011.

Both failed.

I think people also like to point out what the Rams have done since 2017 and what the Bucs did in 2020. I think the Bucs was more of just Gronk and AB wanting to play with Brady.

Otherwise I don't really know. Maybe we could point at what the 9ers did in 2019 by getting Emmanual Sanders.

But again most of these teams ended up being losers.
Yeah I think this is a good point you're making. I think the best way to win a Super Bowl is to have like 2-3 really good drafts in a row rather than aggressively court FAs. But both strategies have seen success. And I suppose doing it via FA is easier.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
24 Mar 2021 14:01
Pckfn23 wrote:

It's just that the players we made the major moves for played for the Packers in 2020.

I didn't expect King, Preston, Lowry or Jones to be on the 2021 roster. All of 4 of them look like they will be which comes at a major financial cost if you look at either move through the lenses of the 2021 cap or 2022 and beyond cap.

Are they the right moves? I don't know. I think that is the larger debate. But I certainly wouldn't call them conservative moves. This is "all in" type of moves that again is really putting most of our 3 - 4 year resources in a 2 year window.
I just don’t consider signing an all pro level rb to a team friendly deal and keeping 3 guys we would be happy to see go as making major moves. But :idn:

Edited
Last edited by Drj820 on 24 Mar 2021 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Are we really only looking at the past week to determine if the front office is conservative or not? Seems a bit like cherry picking or oblivious to circumstances.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Mar 2021 22:14
Are we really only looking at the past week to determine if the front office is conservative or not? Seems a bit like cherry picking or oblivious to circumstances.
For some, only GMs who go for a risky all-in one- or two-year push count as aggressive. And I agree Gutey is not that.

But he's far from TT's extreme aversion to bringing in players from outside, and from sticking with coaches years past best before date.

Gutey has proven he utilizes all avenues of player acquisition, but he's not into sacrificing long term for the short. So, not most aggressive, not most conservative. :idn:

Funny how signing Adoree would've counted as aggressive and exciting, even when he had worse stats and injury history than King. :dunno:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Mar 2021 21:52
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I just don’t consider signing an all pro level rb to a team friendly deal and keeping 3 guys we would be happy to see go as making major moves. But :idn:

Edited
thing is WE think because of only what we see in games they should have been let go, but we don't really know what caused them to play less then perfect, King for instance was battling a injury when he played in the NFCCG.

we all would have liked to see him buy a big name FA, but he already back loaded 28 mil to keep who we did, that bill will come do some day, and we where way over the cap to start with, how far down the rabbit hole should we expect him to go with out a complete sell out that could hurt this team for 2 or 3 years after Rodgers is gone?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Mar 2021 21:52
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Edited
That's because you are judging a GM's past 4 years of work based on a week of his decisions.

The Bucs have done basically the exact same thing as the Packers this offseason by also keeping their guys. And yes. The Packers were a better team in 2020. It's just that their players played like sh*t when it mattered.

Do I think these moves will work for 2021? No I don't. Not unless we see large jumps from our 2019 draft class and the Smiths.
Yoop wrote: