Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

So, I have a Google Pixel 4XL. Unbeknownst to me, apparently there is a glitch that people are getting (for quite some time now) that causes the PIN to unlock the phone not to register. I don't use a PIN number, but facial recognition. It's fun, fast, works great.

… I'm wearing a mask today at work, facial recognition won't work of course.

Guess who sets up a PIN for the time being for easier access? This guy.

Guess who gets the glitch and can no longer access my phone? This guy.

Easy right? Just restore the phone and Google's backup stuff does the rest. Restore the phone via the recovery menu (power button, down button). Restore done no problem. Upon reactivation of my phone, it will prompt me again for my PIN due to an unauthorized restore, something I expected. No problem, I'll use my Google account to verify that it's me. The options to verify include calling with a code, texting with code, using another device, etc. None of them work. Eventually Google locks me completely out, and cannot verify for at least "a few hours".

*waits an hour*

Let's me try again and by some miracle it verified everything. Only one problem, to restore apps, text history , and photos that must be done upon the setup screen. It still wants the PIN to do that. Unbelievable.

Have to continue setup without a restore of my apps, text history, and photos. Apps no big deal, photos no big deal (actively backup to cloud services), however I've lost 5+ years of text history. I don't think I've ever been so peeved.

All because I decided to use a PIN for the day. Never again.

/rant

:bkw:

(Word of advice if you're using a Pixel device, don't use a PIN. You'll find stuff online talking about this glitch. Some weren't so lucky and needed to send in the phone for service.)
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pixel 2 XL, never had an issue in almost 2 years.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 May 2020 14:01
I had the original and now the 4. Never seen this before, but it's infuriating. First time I've ever had an issue with the Pixel line.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
05 May 2020 14:32
Pckfn23 wrote:
I had the original and now the 4. Never seen this before, but it's infuriating. First time I've ever had an issue with the Pixel line.
An update a while back completely F'ed connecting to 4G. Took about a week before they pushed out a new hotfix.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 May 2020 14:38
TheGreenMan wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
An update a while back completely F'ed connecting to 4G. Took about a week before they pushed out a new hotfix.
I heard about that one, but mine was connecting fine.
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

The nice thing about Quarantine is that you have an excuse to be away from certain people, whom you otherwise couldn't avoid, who just drain the ever loving !@#$ out of you.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Captain_Ben wrote:
07 May 2020 17:11
The nice thing about Quarantine is that you have an excuse to be away from certain people, whom you otherwise couldn't avoid, who just drain the ever loving !@#$ out of you.
Then you spend more time on here with people who do the same thing.

:lol:

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Pckfn, as a Pixel owner have you by chance purchased or checked out the new Pixel buds? I'm debating whether to pull the trigger. I hear nothing but good things.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 May 2020 12:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

Pckfn, as a Pixel owner have you by chance purchased or checked out the new Pixel buds? I'm debating whether to pull the trigger. I hear nothing but good things.
I haven't, but I am not big into ear buds. I prefer the over the ear. https://www.66audio.com/headphones I got the BTS Pro a year or 2 back and love them. Use them all the time when I work out.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I have been looking for a long time for a good pair of ear buds.

The first few generations of any brand had poor battery life and serious connection issues, but I think they are finally getting pretty damn good. I still haven't found a wireless earbud that has as good of sound or bass as pretty much any $20 wired pair.

I got a pair of airpods pro from our credit cards reward site thingy, they are okay. I like the apple interactivity, but sound still just not as good as my wired pair. Just absolutely would not pay $250 for them. Kind of regret getting them.

We also have these (below). These are really nice. I really notice no difference in sounds quality between the these and the airpods pro.

Kind of funny, half the reason i bought them was their 4.7 stars they had on a few hundred reviews. Now they are only 3.5 stars on only 24 ratings. If you can find them around for $40-45, I don't think you'll get much better bang for your buck.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 May 2020 12:24
TheGreenMan wrote:
08 May 2020 12:09
Pckfn23 wrote:

I haven't, but I am not big into ear buds. I prefer the over the ear. https://www.66audio.com/headphones I got the BTS Pro a year or 2 back and love them. Use them all the time when I work out.
Might have to check those out, definitely looking for something for my running. I've been using some JBL's for years, but looking for an upgrade.

Any other time, at home I have the over the ear headphones for sure.
RIP JustJeff

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
08 May 2020 12:52
I have been looking for a long time for a good pair of ear buds.

The first few generations of any brand had poor battery life and serious connection issues, but I think they are finally getting pretty damn good. I still haven't found a wireless earbud that has as good of sound or bass as pretty much any $20 wired pair.

I got a pair of airpods pro from our credit cards reward site thingy, they are okay. I like the apple interactivity, but sound still just not as good as my wired pair. Just absolutely would not pay $250 for them. Kind of regret getting them.

We also have these (below). These are really nice. I really notice no difference in sounds quality between the these and the airpods pro.

Kind of funny, half the reason i bought them was their 4.7 stars they had on a few hundred reviews. Now they are only 3.5 stars on only 24 ratings. If you can find them around for $40-45, I don't think you'll get much better bang for your buck.

I have yet to find a pair of ear buds that will stay in my ears. They all slip out once I start to sweat.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Most typically come with 3 different sizes of tips.

I really don’t have that problem, they stay in nice for me.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Well, I did pick up some Google Pixel buds. Haven't tested them with exercise yet, but they stayed in while mowing this weekend. Sound is pretty darn good (nothing like my over ear stuff though of course), and they're reasonably comfortable for the first 1.5hrs. Call quality was pretty good too.

So far, I think I'm keeping them. They pair nicely with the Pixel4XL.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:rotfl:

Can you imagine being a reporter, and get asked to write a long ass piece on someone flushing their toilet?

Dream job, man, dream job.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I suppose "random Stuff" might be the place to inquire about this. There is a pretty good chance i am going to get furloughed for about 6 weeks from mid June through July. I have been verbally told i will be one of the few people to be able to return in august because i do alot of fundraising projects and that season will hopefully be revamping in the fall.

I live in tennessee now. Love the fall here, the mild winters, the evenings, the scenery..all of it. But for the past few years every late spring and summer my sinuses have just been a wreck. The heat seems to be a factor, certainly the pollen, something in the air. Late summer through early spring i feel great, and then like clock work i live in some sort of hell for a few months. I just broke up with my GF so besides my dog, while furloughed i literally have nothing preventing me from using the time to go off the grid for a bit and consider whats next.

I am wanting to conduct an experiment to see if it is the climate that is causing this, or something else. I want to take 3? maybe even 4 weeks and take a pot, some can food, a fishing pole, hammock, my honda accord, my dog, guitar, french press coffee maker, and really just the bare essentials and head north. I love the great outdoors and camping and have fished for food many times. The discussion in the other thread got me thinking about the upper peninsula of michigan, before that i was considering northern Wisconsin.

For the near locals of those areas, or people familiar: Anything i should know about that im probably not considering? Is it super crowded in the summer months, or plenty of space for everyone? are there places where camping that long term reasonably priced, or are they going to drain me because its tourist season? Any camping locations to reccommend? Ive heard the mosquitos are as big as bats, any thing to know about them?

All these kind of questions are things im trying to research, and the convo in the where are you from thread got me thinking some of you guys might have some great info.

Thanks for the help!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
20 May 2020 10:40
I live in tennessee now. Love the fall here, the mild winters, the evenings, the scenery..all of it. But for the past few years every late spring and summer my sinuses have just been a wreck. The heat seems to be a factor, certainly the pollen, something in the air. Late summer through early spring i feel great, and then like clock work i live in some sort of hell for a few months. I just broke up with my GF so besides my dog, while furloughed i literally have nothing preventing me from using the time to go off the grid for a bit and consider whats next.
Can't contribute much to your inquiry but I can tell you when I was living in Clarksville, TN in the early 90's, I had the worst sinus allergy issues I've ever had. Would hit mid-spring and last about 3 weeks. I was a mouth breathing fool and miserable.

Never had allergy issues before moving there, have had only minor allergy issues since. Whatever it was for those 3 weeks every spring - spent 3 years there - it wreaked havoc with me and to this day I still have no idea what it was.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
20 May 2020 12:35
Drj820 wrote:
20 May 2020 10:40
Can't contribute much to your inquiry but I can tell you when I was living in Clarksville, TN in the early 90's, I had the worst sinus allergy issues I've ever had. Would hit mid-spring and last about 3 weeks. I was a mouth breathing fool and miserable.

Never had allergy issues before moving there, have had only minor allergy issues since. Whatever it was for those 3 weeks every spring - spent 3 years there - it wreaked havoc with me and to this day I still have no idea what it was.
Its crazy because i have lived in this general area most of my life and never really had issues, but the last three years like clock work have been awful. I want to escape for a bit and see if it is purely geographical, or climate related..or something else. Something I didnt think about was currently the national forests and state parks are closed in michigan, and i believe wisconsin. I was looking at the nicolet national forests, but no camping is allowed now. Anyone from up in that area know if they are expected to be back open by July?

I am all for safety, social distancing, and respecting this virus...but banning the great outdoors and vitamin d seems like overreach to me :?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

Was 27 degrees two weeks ago and 92 today :lol:

western NY at its finest