Veteran WR Options

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I'd rather us a 2nd round pick on WR to keep the "Rodgers doesn't throw TD's to 1st Round Picks" narrative alive.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Rodgers doesn't and never has thrown anything to first round WR picks, cause he's never had a 1st round picked WR to throw something to.

thats about to change in this coming draft, if Gute doesn't figure out a way to get one of the top 4 Rodgers probably will retire after this season, and who would blame him.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I'd rather pick a WR if there is worth one picking.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm torn between signing two and drafting two or signing one and drafting three. And either plan will put some stress on the roster numbers. But I'm game for that problem.

Julio. Sammy. AJ. Fuller.

Williams. Burks. Watson. Pierce. Bell.

Pick 4. Make it happen.

So sign one, see how the draft goes. If we like 3 and pick 3, we're done. If we only get value on 2, sign another after.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
28 Mar 2022 13:41
what the hell, you sound like me for goodness sakes and your a college educated person :rotf:

there are a half dozen receivers that according to the stuff I've read could be taken in the first round and depending on team fit would be justifiable picks.

I think all 3 of Wilson, London, and Williams even though he may not play till mid season will be gone, these guys check to many intangibles to last till our #22 slot, if we want one we'll have to trade up.

that leaves Olave, Burks, and possibly Pickens, Watkins, and maybe Metchie.

all would fit well in everything we do, of those available I like Olave and Burks I think the most, I wouldn't trade up for the injured Williams, however I would for Wilson or London.

Walters has us taking Olave at #22 and Burks at #29, would love that cept I can't see Burks dropping that far, I think they must think GM's draft according to combine workouts.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
28 Mar 2022 13:19
I'd rather us a 2nd round pick on WR to keep the "Rodgers doesn't throw TD's to 1st Round Picks" narrative alive.
:lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Mar 2022 13:44
I'm torn between signing two and drafting two or signing one and drafting three. And either plan will put some stress on the roster numbers. But I'm game for that problem.

Julio. Sammy. AJ. Fuller.

Williams. Burks. Watson. Pierce. Bell.

Pick 4. Make it happen.

So sign one, see how the draft goes. If we like 3 and pick 3, we're done. If we only get value on 2, sign another after.
I'am soooo old school when it comes to drafting injured players I guess, I know most acl's only take 10 months to heal these days, thing is though, some don't, and some players are never the same, that rules out Williams for me, at least in round one.

I don't think it matter for us though, some GM's do believe it only takes 10 months and will scarf him up, healthy and he might have went top 10 as the first WR taken.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
28 Mar 2022 14:48
NCF wrote:
what the hell, you sound like me for goodness sakes and your a college educated person :rotf:

there are a half dozen receivers that according to the stuff I've read could be taken in the first round and depending on team fit would be justifiable picks.

I think all 3 of Wilson, London, and Williams even though he may not play till mid season will be gone, these guys check to many intangibles to last till our #22 slot, if we want one we'll have to trade up.

all would fit well in everything we do, of those available I like Olave and Burks I think the most, I wouldn't trade up for the injured Williams, however I would for Wilson or London.

Walters has us taking Olave at #22 and Burks at #29, would love that cept I can't see Burks dropping that far, I think they must think GM's draft according to combine workouts.
My point, of course, is that I know we all want a WR really, really, really bad, but I am not picking a WR at 22 just to pick a WR at 22. If they need to go up to get a guy, do it. If they are content waiting until 29 or Round 2 for the right value, do that. I know this is crazy, but they do not have to pick a WR at 22 just because that is their biggest need.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
28 Mar 2022 13:11
But you will always see that with me. I am never a "draft by position or immediate need" guy. I never was and I never will be. Especially with first round selections.
I tend to be the same, but the nice thing about having two picks in the first two rounds is we can employ both strategies in each rounds: one pick can be used on the wise value pick, the other can be used to maximize immediate returns and/or plug our biggest holes. :)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
28 Mar 2022 17:51
go pak go wrote:
But you will always see that with me. I am never a "draft by position or immediate need" guy. I never was and I never will be. Especially with first round selections.
I tend to be the same, but the nice thing about having two picks in the first two rounds is we can employ both strategies in each rounds: one pick can be used on the wise value pick, the other can be used to maximize immediate returns and/or plug our biggest holes. :)
Unless you consolidate picks to move up which is the post I was referring to.

I am willing to part ways with a 3rd to move up. Nothing more though.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
28 Mar 2022 14:57
Yoop wrote:
28 Mar 2022 14:48
NCF wrote:

My point, of course, is that I know we all want a WR really, really, really bad, but I am not picking a WR at 22 just to pick a WR at 22. If they need to go up to get a guy, do it. If they are content waiting until 29 or Round 2 for the right value, do that. I know this is crazy, but they do not have to pick a WR at 22 just because that is their biggest need.
:argue: :argue: :swear: :swear: :swear:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
28 Mar 2022 18:23
Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

every GM says I pick BPA, but they don't, ya have to pick according to the needs of the team, and there are positional priority's, we all loved Thompson, but like every GM he would try and trade up or down to line up slot value and take the position of NEED, GM's have no choice to do this unless there picking top tier players which typically consist of no more then 6 or 7 player per draft class.

Gute jumped up a few times for players he liked, he jumped 8 or 9 slots for Savage, that wasn't a BPA thing, we needed a safety and he traded up to get the one he liked.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
28 Mar 2022 18:38
go pak go wrote:
28 Mar 2022 18:23
Labrev wrote:

every GM says I pick BPA, but they don't, ya have to pick according to the needs of the team, and there are positional priority's, we all loved Thompson, but like every GM he would try and trade up or down to line up slot value and take the position of NEED, GM's have no choice to do this unless there picking top tier players which typically consist of no more then 6 or 7 player per draft class.

Gute jumped up a few times for players he liked, he jumped 8 or 9 slots for Savage, that wasn't a BPA thing, we needed a safety and he traded up to get the one he liked.
okay? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Unless there is a safety, a DLmen, or a WR sitting there in reach for 3 of our first 4 picks, what good does it do to stay put and snag 4 players on a team that only has like 2 holes? I’d be happy to package picks and leap up and get somebody who can fill a hole in 2022 if the situation is Right...and the guys we have our eyes on are getting scooped up while we wait
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Mar 2022 19:00
Unless there is a safety, a DLmen, or a WR sitting there in reach for 3 of our first 4 picks, what good does it do to stay put and snag 4 players on a team that only has like 2 holes? I’d be happy to package picks and leap up and get somebody who can fill a hole in 2022 if the situation is Right...and the guys we have our eyes on are getting scooped up while we wait
I guess there's a slight difference in philosophy here, but more importantly, I think we view the roster differently.

I think this roster has a TON of holes, but very few of them are for starters.

We need a starting WR1. We need a deep threat WR. We need a second starting-caliber ILB. We need one or two rotational DLinemen. We need a RT/G depth with starting potential. We need slot defender depth. We need safety depth. We need a better return man. We need a developmental Y-TE to take over for Lewis and/or Tonyan in a year. We need EDGE depth.

Most of those are rotational, depth pieces, or role players. But you need those to get through a season. And I think we have plenty of room to improve all of those things.

Fortunately for us, rotational, role players, depth, and STs are PERFECT to find in the draft. That's exactly what MOST rookies are good for. Sure, a FEW rookies win starting jobs and perform admirably. If you get two or three in a draft you've done well.

So yeah, we only need to fill two BIG starting-caliber holes. And we can expect/hope to fill those with 4 early draft picks. But we also have a ton of lesser needs that can either remain depth pieces and role players or that can start out there as rookies and develop into more useful players.

And we can fill those positions out at minimum salaries through the draft. And that's what guys like myself and [mention]go pak go[/mention] are talking about when we say the state of this roster merits using more picks rather than packaging them.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Mar 2022 22:21
Drj820 wrote:
I guess there's a slight difference in philosophy here, but more importantly, I think we view the roster differently.

We need a starting WR1. We need a deep threat WR. We need a second starting-caliber ILB. We need one or two rotational DLinemen. We need a RT/G depth with starting potential. We need slot defender depth. We need safety depth. We need a better return man. We need a developmental Y-TE to take over for Lewis and/or Tonyan in a year. We need EDGE depth.

Most of those are rotational, depth pieces, or role players. But you need those to get through a season. And I think we have plenty of room to improve all of those things.

Fortunately for us, rotational, role players, depth, and STs are PERFECT to find in the draft. That's exactly what MOST rookies are good for. Sure, a FEW rookies win starting jobs and perform admirably. If you get two or three in a draft you've done well.

So yeah, we only need to fill two BIG starting-caliber holes. And we can expect/hope to fill those with 4 early draft picks. But we also have a ton of lesser needs that can either remain depth pieces and role players or that can start out there as rookies and develop into more useful players.

And we can fill those positions out at minimum salaries through the draft. And that's what guys like myself and @go pak go are talking about when we say the state of this roster merits using more picks rather than packaging them.
I would just say it depends on how the board falls. We dont have alot of money to go grab a difference maker, and we need a difference maker at the WR position. Could really use one on the DL, and need to start thinking about Amos replacements...all things we really need.

Now, whats better...8 new guys of various talents who can be sprinkled in as depth in the years to come...one or two eventually developing into servicable players...or say 4 or 5 new guys on the roster. 3 to 4 of them being quality depth for the years ahead and 1 of them being a bonifide stud who helps the team year one. Think Waddle, Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, Deebo. All guys who went at different places in the first round.

If there is not "that guy" in this draft...then your plan is probably best and is great. But if there is that guy, and we cant get him at 22...I think now is the time to use assets to go get who can help us win in 2022. Because currently we do not have the weapons at WR to win a SB. However, we do have the assets to obtain the weapons to win a SB by the time the season starts.

I dont think its the time to sit around and draft from our heels and bring in who is around at 22 and think about making them a good player over time. I would use the assets and get a good player right now for the 2022 season, if that player is around and obtainable.

If not, draft 8 or 9 guys and fill out the roster with labor that will pay dividends over time.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Amen Yoho.

Every team has holes. And you are always one play away from having another hole.

This team has what it needs. It has a great defense. It has a great running game. It has the MVP. It should hopefully have an improved offensive line.

The team has what it takes to win. I am very confident we will come away with either 1 1st round and/or 2 Day 2 WR selections. No matter how it comes, they are available and we will likely get one.

We will be fine. I am okay with using a 3rd rounder to trade up for one. But I don't want to give up any more than that. We need volume of players.
Yoop wrote:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
28 Mar 2022 13:31
Rodgers doesn't and never has thrown anything to first round WR picks, cause he's never had a 1st round picked WR to throw something to.

thats about to change in this coming draft, if Gute doesn't figure out a way to get one of the top 4 Rodgers probably will retire after this season, and who would blame him.
I'm actually glad that you mentioned that. Because that "Packers haven't given Rodgers enough skill guys" narrative has been around for so long. And yet, years from now, many will argue one way or the other on that based upon the 2022 draft alone. It's gonna be a very ironic situation. And I can't wait to chat about it on Packers-huddle!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Mar 2022 09:32
YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

And we can fill those positions out at minimum salaries through the draft. And that's what guys like myself and @go pak go are talking about when we say the state of this roster merits using more picks rather than packaging them.
I would just say it depends on how the board falls. We dont have alot of money to go grab a difference maker, and we need a difference maker at the WR position. Could really use one on the DL, and need to start thinking about Amos replacements...all things we really need.

Now, whats better...8 new guys of various talents who can be sprinkled in as depth in the years to come...one or two eventually developing into servicable players...or say 4 or 5 new guys on the roster. 3 to 4 of them being quality depth for the years ahead and 1 of them being a bonifide stud who helps the team year one. Think Waddle, Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, Deebo. All guys who went at different places in the first round.

If there is not "that guy" in this draft...then your plan is probably best and is great. But if there is that guy, and we cant get him at 22...I think now is the time to use assets to go get who can help us win in 2022. Because currently we do not have the weapons at WR to win a SB. However, we do have the assets to obtain the weapons to win a SB by the time the season starts.

I dont think its the time to sit around and draft from our heels and bring in who is around at 22 and think about making them a good player over time. I would use the assets and get a good player right now for the 2022 season, if that player is around and obtainable.

If not, draft 8 or 9 guys and fill out the roster with labor that will pay dividends over time.
I mean we have enough information to start putting names and draft compensation to do it rather than speaking high level "would ifs". We can be in reality.

Who is the guy you would do it for and how hard would you go get him?

If Jameson Williams is on the board after #15....I would be okay if we chased him hard, but he isn't an immediate impact guy either as he and Metchie have torn ACL's.

I just don't think there is really a WR on this board who I would give up compensation for to chase.

But this is a tangent on this thread. This thread isn't about using draft assets to get a popular draft prospect. This board is about veteran WR's available who make sense for us. I apologize for continuing the tangent.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Mar 2022 09:36
Drj820 wrote:
29 Mar 2022 09:32
YoHoChecko wrote:

I mean we have enough information to start putting names and draft compensation to do it rather than speaking high level "would ifs". We can be in reality.

Who is the guy you would do it for and how hard would you go get him?

If Jameson Williams is on the board after #15....I would be okay if we chased him hard. I'd give up a 3rd and another pick if a team #16 on down would want to deal. But that's probably about it.
I dont think WIlliams or Burks will be around at 22. I would do what needs to be done to secure either. If Gutey is feeling really perky he can jump up and go grab Garrett Wilson.

Olave may even be gone by 22. I predict a run on WRs similar to the draft a year or two ago. This run is because of their importance in modern football, their readiness to contribute...but more importantly...the rates they are now demanding in their second contracts. Teams need guys who can contribute for 4 years and then they can go somewhere else. We have to find someone who can help in 2022. We should do what needs to be done to secure that asset.