Round 1 - Pick #28, Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
30 May 2022 07:15
NFC scout: “He’s a f---up so he may slide but he is talented. He’s not as big as Gerald McCoy. He’s got more movement than Kenny Clark. A little bigger than Tommie Harris but he’s got lateral movement and explosiveness like that. Good player. I’m still working through his off-the-field. Domestic violence. (Wyatt was charged with three misdemeanors in a domestic incident in 2020 but charges were dropped) … Holy f---, is he talented. He can do whatever he wants. I rated him higher than (Jordan) Davis. He’s not as stout. More athletic.”
AFC scout: “He’s the closest in the draft to Jeffery Simmons.”
@Yoop literally has nothing to complain about anymore. :lol:
Odds are his teammates will keep him out of trouble and a change of scenery will help. But he is still a f---up that could easily earn himself a suspension or a lifetime in prison. Getting a player with 10th pick talent at 28 may be worth the risk. I hope for everyone's sake that it works out. If it does not, its going to leave a big hole in the line and Yoop won't be the only one complaining.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Kicking a door instead of a women (ie: kareem hunt) is a very smart decision. Wyatt should be praised not slandered for his self control.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 May 2022 07:15
NFC scout: “He’s a f---up so he may slide but he is talented. He’s not as big as Gerald McCoy. He’s got more movement than Kenny Clark. A little bigger than Tommie Harris but he’s got lateral movement and explosiveness like that. Good player. I’m still working through his off-the-field. Domestic violence. (Wyatt was charged with three misdemeanors in a domestic incident in 2020 but charges were dropped) … Holy f---, is he talented. He can do whatever he wants. I rated him higher than (Jordan) Davis. He’s not as stout. More athletic.”
AFC scout: “He’s the closest in the draft to Jeffery Simmons.”
@Yoop literally has nothing to complain about anymore. :lol:
he was my #1 DT prospect from pretty much the beginning, I don't know if he's as gifted technically as Simmons was, but his athletic makeup puts him in that conversation, and as with Simmons had a off field legal issue concerning a woman, woman are the down fall of many a good man :lol: , and like Simmons there have been no repeat offenses..

this should be as good a DL now as we had for the last SB run, Wyatt played on a pro style defense so he should be pro ready pretty quick, I expect he'll unseat Lowery as the #2 guy by mid season, maybe sooner.

I'am sure I'll manage to find something new to complain about, I'am always up for a challenge :)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
30 May 2022 13:11
Kicking a door instead of a women (ie: kareem hunt) is a very smart decision. Wyatt should be praised not slandered for his self control.
yep, people act as though kicking a door is the same as strangling a woman, what a bunch of over hyped nonsense, and this also was not a repeat offense crime, he was given 3 mis demeaner charges concerning the same kicking door incident.

people have completely bought into this stupidity that ya need a criminal on the defense for it to be any good stuff too, that is so insane, people like Bart Scott that promote that crap aught to lose there job.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Seattle Seahawks confirmed that they were going to trade with Green Bay at #28. But then Gute called off the trade.

Undoubtedly the deal was off when Wyatt was still available and they felt they had to take him.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
30 May 2022 17:20
The Seattle Seahawks confirmed that they were going to trade with Green Bay at #28. But then Gute called off the trade.

Undoubtedly the deal was off when Wyatt was still available and they felt they had to take him.
Seattle had 40 and 41, right? And more?

That would have really changed up everything for sure.

Also weird, because we were trying to trade up to at worst 32 to get Watson, but then also didn’t feel comfortable taking him at 28 and were gunna trade back?

Feel like something doesn’t quite add up.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
30 May 2022 20:03
go pak go wrote:

Seattle had 40 and 41, right? And more?

That would have really changed up everything for sure.

Also weird, because we were trying to trade up to at worst 32 to get Watson, but then also didn’t feel comfortable taking him at 28 and were gunna trade back?

Feel like something doesn’t quite add up.
I think they were trying to maximize value. They likely thought to get Watson meant they needed to be anywhere from 33 to 40 (closer to 33). So like I would do when on a mock simulator, they likely coveted getting two more early 2nds to replace #28 to get ensure proper ammo to get Watson and still have a lot of 2nd rounders.

But then Wyatt was sitting there and they felt they had to take him. The value was just too good. And they figured out how to get Watson after that...value be damned. Similar to the famous Thompson quote of "get the player" after they drafted Raji and he wanted Matthews.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

They also might have traced back to 40 and then up to 33 with a net increase in picks. Being willing to trace back doesn’t mean they were going to stay where they landed initially. We’ve done it before. The Vikings just did it. Moving back and then up can be a move

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wyatt is so interesting to me. I'm genuinely learning about him after the draft because I wrote him off beforehand; didn't even really watch any cut ups; just read a few things and moved on. Given the age and the off-field concerns and the coaches' comments from Bruce Feldman that essentially said teams were so worried about Carter and Davis that they didn't really notice Wyatt, I just stopped.

But looking at him moree fully, it's definitely clear that, to a lesser extent than Simmons but in a similar capacity, he really did drop because of the off-field concerns. The tape and traits of this guy are not a 28th pick, but a 15-20 type of guy. It's easy to forget when you see Wyatt standing next to Davis that he is himself a big man. I think of a smaller DT with elite quickness and first step, I assume he's 6'0" 290ish like Aaron Donald or Ed Oliver. But at 6'3" 305, he's more Quinnen Williams and, well, Jeffry Simmons.

At the time of the draft, I basically said that I'd be comparing Quay Walker's career to Leo Chenal and Wyatt's career to Travis Jones, two guys that went in the early third. My thinking being if we took one of the Georgia guys at 22 and took Christian Watson at 28, then we could have used our late second on either the LB or the DT there, and still had pick 53 to add another guy either a Jelani Woods or one of those versatile secondary players. So Walker or Wyatt had to be better than Chenal and Jones, respectively, by at least Jelani Woods' career for me to feel great about the way the first 2 rounds played out for us.

But looking at Wyatt more closely, he really is that much farther ahead of Jones to justify a gap in selection slot like this. I got so blinded by my desire to have elite size with enough quickness (instead of elite quickness with more than enough size) that I really underestimated this pick. I was also so concerned with the off field stuff at the time that I didn't let my feelings of him just as a player ever really settle. Now that they have, I think this guy might be a home run on the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 May 2022 21:19
They also might have traced back to 40 and then up to 33 with a net increase in picks. Being willing to trace back doesn’t mean they were going to stay where they landed initially. We’ve done it before. The Vikings just did it. Moving back and then up can be a move
Yeah that's what I was meaning. If you are at 40 with extra picks, you have a lot more ammo to move up if necessary.

But then when Wyatt was sitting there, they were like, "awe hell. We can't pass this up. Let's get this dude and we know we still have 2 2nd rounders to get Watson"

So their high level math likely was:

A. Draft Walker and Watson and have 3 other 2nd rounders and likely no 3rd rounder or 4th rounder (3rd round and 4th round likely goes to Seattle and to whoever they trade up with from 40 to get Watson). 5 picks in the first 4 rounds
B. Draft Walker, Wyatt and Watson and have no more 2nd rounders but do have a 3rd and 4th rounder. 5 picks in the first 4 rounds.

They maybe could have worked things to net another pick from my scenario, but overall they liked a player to stop a trade. That always makes me happy.

I'm a financial dude. So I love value. Don't get me wrong. But also, as a financial dude, I'm primarily concerned with getting what you need. If the player is good, the value is always good. Like you will never hear Packers fans complain about the "value" of using so much to trade up for Clay Matthews.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I totally agree that on the field this guy is probably a home run.

But the statements that some have made that what he did was insignificant or unlikely to be repeated are out of reality. Get a grip!

If we were to have a scale of abuse from a mildly disrespectful word to murdering a woman, and if we were to apply 100 levels in that scale we might see deliberately and obvious insults at 30. We might see veiled verbal threats at 40. We might see physical threats such as shaking a fist at 60. We might see breaking or throwing things at 90. We would see kicking down a door at 97. There are only 3 steps left, 98 = hitting the woman. 99 is putting her in the hospital. 100 is killing her.

Most people men or women, never get beyond 20.

Wyatt has already crossed 1 to 96 many many times. He crossed 97 three times, apparently. Unless there is a major change in his life, an intervention, a born again conversion, a commitment to a mental hospital or prison, he is going to cross 98, maybe more. It is not just possible, it is almost certain.

We as fans have to hope and trust that the Packers brass know what they are doing. If they do, the Packers just got a 10-15 pick at 28

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

That is a f*cked up scale.

30 degrees to get to a rude remark (which we all do) and then 3 degrees to go from kicking a door to killing a person. :messedup:

I really don't want to talk about any off the field stuff with Wyatt any longer TBH. He hasn't given any other reason to. His door kicking has been hashed enough.

I witnessed girls kick down my college doors at parties. People get emotional when partying. Also, college doors are usually not designer home solid wood doors. They are hollow and cheap. Easy to knock down.

Do I look highly at the woman who kicked down my door at my house in college that I had to pay for? No. She married my great friend and then cheated on him. She is a bad person. However....do I think she is a threat to society or can't fulfill an important role at work and not be a threat? Absolutely not. She is talented. She is troubled...but aren't we all at times?
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Devonte Wyatt is innocent and gonna be a heluva player. This DL needed a Devonte Wyatt, some people need to quit hatin. Kicking a door instead of a woman is a great choice. This is a nothing burger!!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 08:17
Devonte Wyatt is innocent and gonna be a heluva player. This DL needed a Devonte Wyatt, some people need to quit hatin. Kicking a door instead of a woman is a great choice. This is a nothing burger!!
He will be a bigger and better version of our 2010 Cullen Jenkins.

He will be who we dreamed Keke would be. A one gap slasher who can get to the QB in a hurry but not be a liability in the run game.

Our defensive line is going to be so freaking good.

Anything less than a top 5 defense this year will be a disappointment.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 08:10
That is a f*cked up scale.

30 degrees to get to a rude remark (which we all do) and then 3 degrees to go from kicking a door to killing a person. :messedup:

I really don't want to talk about any off the field stuff with Wyatt any longer TBH. He hasn't given any other reason to. His door kicking has been hashed enough.

I witnessed girls kick down my college doors at parties. People get emotional when partying. Also, college doors are usually not designer home solid wood doors. They are hollow and cheap. Easy to knock down.

Do I look highly at the woman who kicked down my door at my house in college that I had to pay for? No. She married my great friend and then cheated on him. She is a bad person. However....do I think she is a threat to society or can't fulfill an important role at work and not be a threat? Absolutely not. She is talented. She is troubled...but aren't we all at times?
Was gunna say pretty much the exact same things.

20-30 marks for insulting remarks, not even assaulting or threatening remarks by his criteria, then only 3 between kicking in a door (not even touching the person) and doing some of the most heinous, unthinkable things, imaginable. Doesn't make a tone of sense. Not trying to downplay what he did and pretend like is wasn't/isn't a concern of mine, but just a silly scale.

Pretty much already stated all before, but our scouting staff knew who this guy was in HS. Not only have they watched every snap multiple times, they been at practice, talked to head coaches, coordinators, position coaches, trainers, doctors, they have also likely met with lawyers, teachers, friends, family, police, read the reports of the incidents, etc. etc. So they just know so much more than we do in the 2-3 articles we might have seen published. For better or for worse in many cases. Probably tons of guys off boards for reasons we'll never know. But they just know so much more about this incidident/s than we ever will.

But then also this front office has earned the benefit of the doubt on this front. They haven't given us a lot of reason to not trust them on the character front. Is it a slam dunk he is going to be a choir boy? No, but they must have liked him the person enough to justify his selection and until I get a reason to not trust them, I will trust them.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 08:21
Drj820 wrote:

He will be who we dreamed Keke would be. A one gap slasher who can get to the QB in a hurry but not be a liability in the run game.

Cullen Jenkins 2.0 --- or --- Johnny Jolly 2.0?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
31 May 2022 08:45
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Devonte Wyatt 1.0

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:

Where did you see this?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
31 May 2022 09:17
go pak go wrote:

Where did you see this?
Isn't my word enough? :lol:

Sounds like this dude got it from a Seattle Seahawks website from "John Boyle" at Seahawks.com (likely their version of a Mike Spofford or Wes Hod). I couldn't find the actual source. But yet again I don't care enough to be this skeptical and find it.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
31 May 2022 08:45
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I mean come on dude. :lol:

Jolly had a drug problem and was selling drugs. That is why he is in jail. He was caught with drugs and then tried to destroy the evidence.

In no world based on the current information we have are the two correlated.

At all.
Yoop wrote: