Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Feb 2023 19:04
APB wrote:
28 Feb 2023 19:03
bud fox wrote:
28 Feb 2023 18:51
Lets all remember these questions started when the packers drafted a 1st round qb with Rodgers still on the books and no indication of impending retirement.

All the conjecture and supposed issues are media created due to having a young first round qb on the roster as a back up.
Let’s also remember that R1 QB was drafted following multiple seasons where Rodgers had shown a decline in play and was on the wrong end of his 30s.
Honestly, we've been talking about this issue for 3 years. Let's not remember it. Did we ever forget it?
You’re right, of course, for the most part. It does seem, though, that some need reminding of the full history of the current situation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I’m surprised this comment from Gute about Love isn’t getting more run:
Brian Gutekunst wrote: “I think he’s ready to play and I think he’s ready to be an NFL starting quarterback. Not every quarterback comes into this league ready to go out there and play. I think he needed a little time, but over the last year and a half or so, we’ve seen that’s the next step in his progression. He needs to go out and play,"
Sounds like about as strong an endorsement for Love to be the starter as any without actually saying it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
28 Feb 2023 19:17
Brian Gutekunst wrote: “I think he’s ready to play and I think he’s ready to be an NFL starting quarterback. Not every quarterback comes into this league ready to go out there and play. I think he needed a little time, but over the last year and a half or so, we’ve seen that’s the next step in his progression. He needs to go out and play,"
Sounds like about as strong an endorsement for Love to be the starter as any without actually saying it.
I think he’s doing a few things.

1) building trade value for love if Rodgers comes back
2) instilling confidence in Love and the fan base if Rodgers walks
3) telling Loves agent that one way or another, Love should be starting this year. Either with the Packers or after a trade.

Seems everybody understands it’s year 4 and Love needs to see the field for his own careers sake
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Feb 2023 19:20

3) telling Loves agent that one way or another, Love should be starting this year. Either with the Packers or after a trade.

Seems everybody understands it’s year 4 and Love needs to see the field for his own careers sake
I think there's also an element to reframe a narrative that made the rounds last week. After Silverstein reported that Gutey was basically openly saying it was time to play Love, Gutenkunst saying on multiple occasions (in this interview and in one earlier) "I've been telling people we need to see him play" sort of validates that narrative while also making it sound more like it's just a comment about Love's progression and evaluation and less about Rodgers.

I think honestly he is handling the media really well at this point, being open about what he doesn't know, what he thinks of Love, and respectful of Rodgers and his process. It was headed toward getting ugly again last week or so, and I think he's calming the waters.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

APB wrote:
28 Feb 2023 19:03
bud fox wrote:
28 Feb 2023 18:51
Lets all remember these questions started when the packers drafted a 1st round qb with Rodgers still on the books and no indication of impending retirement.

All the conjecture and supposed issues are media created due to having a young first round qb on the roster as a back up.
Let’s also remember that R1 QB was drafted following multiple seasons where Rodgers had shown a decline in play and was on the wrong end of his 30s.
That is not Rodgers problem. It was obviously a team issue if he comes back and wins back to back mvps. Good management should have known that.

My point remains, as people continue to blame rodgers for all the conjecture, he did not start this process. THe packers did and the media will continue with it.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Feb 2023 19:20
APB wrote:
28 Feb 2023 19:17

Last point is most important. In year 4 no GM can say a first round QB is not ready or shouldn't be playing.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

More from Gute on Love:
Brian Gutekunst wrote: “He brought an intensity week to week that we had not seen in the building before.”

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

People can downplay the situation due to looking at the timeline all they want, Gutey walked up to the mic today and said “he hasn’t heard a thing from Aaron” lol

It’s been almost two months since the packers last played, the qb is under contract, and the gm hasn’t heard a thing as he waits.

This decision or maybe just “what Aaron wants” affects everything! Affects the draft, free agency, who stays, who goes…and weeks in, the head guy in GB has heard NOTHING and patiently waits…

Embarrassing for a once proud organization

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Feb 2023 20:35
People can downplay the situation due to looking at the timeline all they want, Gutey walked up to the mic today and said “he hasn’t heard a thing from Aaron” lol

It’s been almost two months since the packers last played, the qb is under contract, and the gm hasn’t heard a thing as he waits.

This decision or maybe just “what Aaron wants” affects everything! Affects the draft, free agency, who stays, who goes…and weeks in, the head guy in GB has heard NOTHING and patiently waits…

Actually he didn't say that. He said they've exchanged some texts back and forth but haven't had a chance to have all the conversations they need to have before deciding how they'll move forward.

Honestly it's frustrating that two nationally televised press conferences, both posted to the team website, neither even ten minutes long, and the answer to the second question in one was "we've exchanged some texts and things like that" and also the second question in the other was "there's been some contact back and forth" and you still managed to come away with an incorrect narrative about whether or not they've heard from the QB.

Like this isn't hidden information or difficult to discern

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Organization is fine with timeline, Rodgers is fine with the timeline but fans aren't fine with the timeline lol.

Its like fans think "well if Rodgers tells us in January, I can get my mock draft ready and plan the packers future". Chill.

If packers come out and say we are unhappy and Aaron was supposed to tell us weeks ago, then be angry.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Feb 2023 23:16
Drj820 wrote:

Actually he didn't say that. He said they've exchanged some texts back and forth but haven't had a chance to have all the conversations they need to have before deciding how they'll move forward.

Honestly it's frustrating that two nationally televised press conferences, both posted to the team website, neither even ten minutes long, and the answer to the second question in one was "we've exchanged some texts and things like that" and also the second question in the other was "there's been some contact back and forth" and you still managed to come away with an incorrect narrative about whether or not they've heard from the QB.

Like this isn't hidden information or difficult to discern
When you text, do your lips move? Is your voice box engaged? Because lips moving, voice box engaged, and the other person to using their ears to hear are required for two people to “talk”.

We are a few days away from the combine, where all the “deals” are made…and Gutey hasn’t even got the guy on the phone for a chat before his big combine presser lol. What’s funny is Rodgers basically earned himself a no trade clause with his threat to retire…”oh you made this deal at the combine, Il just retire”. Teams aren’t forking over multiple high picks with the threat of this all being a one year rental. Rodgers has Gutey right where he wants him, like he has for the past 3 years…and yes, a conversation before Gutey heads to the combine would have been very helpful to the packers org, whether you admit it or not.
Last edited by Drj820 on 01 Mar 2023 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
28 Feb 2023 23:39
Organization is fine with timeline, Rodgers is fine with the timeline but fans aren't fine with the timeline lol.

Its like fans think "well if Rodgers tells us in January, I can get my mock draft ready and plan the packers future". Chill.

If packers come out and say we are unhappy and Aaron was supposed to tell us weeks ago, then be angry.
Organization has no choice but to say they are fine. Gutey has been neutered by rodgers at every turn for three years. He has to pretend getting a few text from the highest paid qb in the league (while that qb is under contract) 53 days after the last game is just fine n dandy. He has no choice. This is because he gave all his control away when he gave Rodgers the new contract last year. Rodgers has played the little guy like a fiddle.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
28 Feb 2023 23:39

It's insane, obviously the media need stuff like this to talk about and attract all impatient fans who think Rodgers decision affects everything and we are running out of time, nothing will or can happen till march 15th on paper anyway, but that doesn't mean conversation don't happen prior, people act as though if the media hasn't reported anything then nothing has happened, and we know thats not true, deals are often done with no prior notice, the angst that some fans have over this is beyond ridiculous.
we are not a team that someone would say are 1st day of ufa players anyway, all this insanity over a deadline to do something with or about Rodgers is nuts

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 02:18
YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Feb 2023 23:16
Drj820 wrote:
Gutey walked up to the mic today and said “he hasn’t heard a thing from Aaron” lol

Actually he didn't say that….

…two nationally televised press conferences, both posted to the team website, neither even ten minutes long, and the answer to the second question in one was "we've exchanged some texts and things like that" and also the second question in the other was "there's been some contact back and forth"
When you text, do your lips move? Is your voice box engaged? Because lips moving, voice box engaged, and the other person to using their ears to hear are required for two people to “talk”.
Ah yes, I’m sure that this semantic definition of talk is exactly what you meant when starting twice “hasn’t heard a thing.” I guess “heard” does imply sound, technically speaking :roll: We’ll just leave the quotes and let readers decide.

But you are right, of course, that it would be helpful at the combine to have the answers. I think the work of feeling out trade scenarios and partners and gauging compensation can be done without concrete information, and that will be done. But it is a slightly more complex task as it is.

I just don’t understand the “end of the world” vibe and the constant need to be pushing and reiterating your own narratives happening here. I’m one of the most “move on from Rodgers” voices on the board (not THE most, but I’ve been outspoken on that point of view for a year now), yet I see no need to push the constant talking point that he’s dragging our organization down at this juncture.

We’re not at the point where it’s late yet. Just at the point where a decision needs to come soon. It’s like the due date on the bill has arrived but the late fee doesn’t get applied right away. And they aren’t cutting off the electricity for a while yet.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 01 Mar 2023 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I absolutely hated the Love pick. Dillon too. Deguara too. :lol:

However past is past, we are where are now. So I try to figure out what we can do now instead of continually and perpetually living in that past world.

So yes, I’ll agree this offseason drama is primarily self inflicted and frankly not necessary. But I wonder how successful Love will need to be to make that pick seem justified in hindsight.

Prolly need at least 1 super bowl. That pick potentially cost us one in 2020 and 2021.

But yes, the bar going to need be very high, through no fault of Jordan. But I’m here to root for it. :munch:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 07:31
I absolutely hated the Love pick. Dillon too. Deguara too. :lol:

However past is past, we are where are now. So I try to figure out what we can do now instead of continually and perpetually living in that past world.

So yes, I’ll agree this offseason drama is primarily self inflicted and frankly not necessary. But I wonder how successful Love will need to be to make that pick seem justified in hindsight.

Prolly need at least 1 super bowl. That pick potentially cost us one in 2020 and 2021.

But yes, the bar going to need be very high, through no fault of Jordan. But I’m here to root for it. :munch:
:rotf:

“I don’t live in the past, I live in the present. But ya boy cost us at least one Super Bowl and he must atone for it.”

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If he’s only Kirk Cousins good and gets us to a handful of divisional rounds in his career. That would exceed expectations for any first round QB, on average. But it would still result in terrible process on the Packers end.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 07:31
I absolutely hated the Love pick. Dillon too. deguara too. :lol:

exactly, I'am not happy with some of the decisions our GM has made, Murphy either, but thats behind us now.

But the contract given Rodgers a year ago seemed like mostly a 2 year deal, now we hear Guty may keep Crosby ( mister automatic) and Bahk ( the best when healthy) around another season, which leads me to believe if Rodgers wants to stay then Guty is willing to go in that direction too.

we all wish Rodgers would spill his intentions sooner rather then later.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Love needs to win a SB a get some all pro consideration at some point for me to consider that pick worth it. That pick did ultimately cost us a SB and that entire draft class set us back significantly.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2023 07:46
But the contract given Rodgers a year ago seemed like mostly a 2 year deal, now we hear Guty may keep Crosby ( mister automatic) and Bahk ( the best when healthy) around another season, which leads me to believe if Rodgers wants to stay then Guty is willing to go in that direction too.

we all wish Rodgers would spill his intentions sooner rather then later.
I do wonder if they’re all related, right? Like Preston is done. Jaire is done. But Crosby is maybe and Bakh is being “worked on.” Two of Rodgers’ good buddies.

I’m not saying they’ll get rid of one or the other based on Rodgers, but the degree of a restructure for Bakh or the urgency to bring back Crosby might be awaiting this resolution to some degree. It just seems too much of a coincidence that two old the older guys closer to Rodgers are the ones who were discussed, but haven’t been resolved, yesterday.