Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Nov 2023 19:27
Also, I do want to admit that as I have watched Love's career unfold with great hope and always (and continuing to) grant the benefit of the doubt, I AMa bit concerned we're talking ourselves into QB no-man's-land akin to a Kirk Cousins where the long-term starter is "good enough" but not "great enough," ya know? I don't want to broadcast my hopes without admitting my doubts.
I think many of us are in this same boat. Liking the progress, but need to see more of it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I think we have seen enough to see that Love isn't garbage juice like lupe and budfox try to portray.

But I also had a better feeling watching Rodgers in 2008.

I think Love is giving us wow plays now. But I don't think his consistency is where it needs to be. He has too many "lows" or failed plays yet. What gives me hope is correcting the easy plays should pretty well....easy
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
19 Nov 2023 20:00
Yeah I think we have seen enough to see that Love isn't garbage juice like lupe and budfox try to portray.

I think Love is giving us wow plays now. But I don't think his consistency is where it needs to be. He has too many "lows" or failed plays yet. What gives me hope is correcting the easy plays should pretty well....easy
Yeah, a lot of QBs are limited because they are considered "game managers" who can't make the big throws.

Love is the opposite. I trust more that we'll hit a few big plays than I trusted that the Packers would be able to manage the time of possession with slow, time-consuming drives in the 4th today after the miracle fumble at around 12:30 left.

Managing the game means consistency and moving chains. And I don't trust that yet.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
19 Nov 2023 20:00

I’d agree.

I do think we can win with Love, he’s going to be good enough I think. But I’m not feeling the , carry a team style of play we’ve had for a couple decades.

It’s ok, there are a lot of ways to win, and Love I think can still be better than average with a team around him.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am not sure I still believe in the idea of the good but not good enough QB trap. Now you can be a contender with guys like Jimmy Garoppolo, Geno Smith, Jared Goff at QB, getting deep into the playoffs and even reaching the SB.

The elite QB is kind of dead. I wonder if maybe the upcoming QB class is going to plant the seeds of a generation of elite QBs, or if it will be like the 2019 draft where you had five hyped up QBs that went in the first round but only two lived up to it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

This was easily Loves best game albeit against the worst pass defense in the league that lost its best player early in the game. This in my opinion was the first game where Love really needs to be praised. He still really struggles going down the field. I mean it’s horrendous but he was nailing the short to intermediate level throws today.

Dare I say this was the only game that made me think he isn’t awful. But again the actual worst pass defense in the league so…
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
19 Nov 2023 21:54
I am not sure I still believe in the idea of the good but not good enough QB trap. Now you can be a contender with guys like Jimmy Garoppolo, Geno Smith, Jared Goff at QB, getting deep into the playoffs and even reaching the SB.

The elite QB is kind of dead. I wonder if maybe the upcoming QB class is going to plant the seeds of a generation of elite QBs, or if it will be like the 2019 draft where you had five hyped up QBs that went in the first round but only two lived up to it.
The league is littered with QBs over the years that get that second contract because they’re good enough to win games on a rookie deal but not good enough to carry a team.

Andy Dalton with the Bengals. They regretted that deal big time. Derek Carr and now Jimmy G when they were with the Raiders. Carson Wentz when he was with the Eagles. Daniel Jones is the most recent.

If you don’t have a top 10 QB there is absolutely no reason to be giving them a second deal. It’s a terrible return on investment. We are about to be in that boat next year.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Love and the receivers starting to get some chemistry, Reed looks just as good as I thought he'd be, Wicks too, we finally have a move TE, maybe two, ( Lafleur gonna love some 22 if Kraft continues to develop) Doubs is a scrappy receiver, I think we've finally rebuilt the receiver positions, hopefully Watson improves upon just being a MVS clone

IMO Love doesn't have a deep ball arm, his passes go to vertical, it's why he's late and short on deep passes, maybe that can improve, but after 3.5 years it's doubtful, still, plenty of NFL QB's lack a deep ball as well and still win in this league.

really obvious that a quality QB and receivers will expose our youth in the secondary, however minus that and these kids look OK and they get better because of the playing time, I think Valentine could be a pretty good #3 CB, these backup safety's though play flat footed, watch the receiver make the catch, then react, and naturally arrive late.

still, the performance looked better then last week, which looked better then the week before, so hopefully that intensity continues, win or lose.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Nov 2023 22:24
Labrev wrote:
19 Nov 2023 21:54

The league is littered with QBs over the years that get that second contract because they’re good enough to win games on a rookie deal but not good enough to carry a team.

Andy Dalton with the Bengals. They regretted that deal big time. Derek Carr and now Jimmy G when they were with the Raiders. Carson Wentz when he was with the Eagles. Daniel Jones is the most recent.

If you don’t have a top 10 QB there is absolutely no reason to be giving them a second deal. It’s a terrible return on investment. We are about to be in that boat next year.
they get second contracts because those that can carry a team are so few and far between, it's why we see a insurgence of the run game again, more 22 sets to block for the run game, more man gap blocking versus zone, teams are trying to run more simply because of the shortage of great QBing, jmo.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

A lot of folks are clearly still in the mentality of the past few decades of QB play here, which normalized the idea that the QB must "carry" the team. It's the same mentality the Chargers seem to have because of Justin Herbert and Rivers before him—carry us, please!!

The more magic that the QB is capable of, the better, but that model is one off-day from losing you a season. How about we instead be a team that wins games as a cohesive unit, and have Love be a QB that rallies his team to win together instead of will his team to win by himself.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I don't think there is reason to proclaim on the mountain tops this is our guy. But there is more and more stacking to give us reason to believe this could be our guy.

I know Love is making strong progress because the guys who love to see the Packers lose are having to change their tone. I'm seeing a lot yeah buts

Lupe: Yeah but it was against the worst pass defense in the league

budfox: Yeah but he still underthrew a ball that turned into a TD. Yeah but his Oline and WR's played better than Herbert's

Then you have the two who try to portray the line of moderate a bit more so they can say they weren't wrong....their language is already in transition mode.

DrJ: Love is playing better

Wally: Love is playing better (and some narration afterwards)

I think the best barometer of Love is by reading the above 4's posts and the tone in their posts. The tone is changing. The goalposts are moving and suddenly the talent around Love is getting good (which will be a challenge when they get on their anti Murphy and Gutebumst rants)

We have 3 games stacked in a row of good play. I'm expecting a regression game soon and I know the above 4 will bring out the full force of "he can play well against bad/mediocre teams but sh*ts the bed against good teams" posts but again that is better than conversations we had 4 weeks ago.

Progress. :)
Last edited by go pak go on 20 Nov 2023 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Nov 2023 06:54
A lot of folks are clearly still in the mentality of the past few decades of QB play here, which normalized the idea that the QB must "carry" the team. It's the same mentality the Chargers seem to have because of Justin Herbert and Rivers before him—carry us, please!!

The more magic that the QB is capable of, the better, but that model is one off-day from losing you a season. How about we instead be a team that wins games as a cohesive unit, and have Love be a QB that rallies his team to win together instead of will his team to win by himself.
jmo

I said we are seeing more dependence on running the ball, not that it will ever over take passing as a means to win, it's just to hard to pull off consistently enough to depend on, we are one of the worst in the league stopping it, yet if Barry schemes just to stop it we do ( most of the time anyway)

imo the goal has to be to have a QB that can at times carry the game, and also a quality running attack, having only one or the other to me is a one dimensional approach, and what doomed the 2011 offense, the best teams are good at both.

I agree with others, measuring Love to Rodgers is fools gold, A QB doesn't need to be as good as Rodgers to carry a team some and win games, they also don't need a great deep ball, plenty of QB's in the HOF never had one, perfecting short coast offense, with second level accuracy is plenty good enough.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
20 Nov 2023 06:54

I very much agree.

This fanbase has been spoiled by the past 30 years of back-to-back HOFers at QB. The performance expectations on a play-by-play basis for Love are clearly skewed based upon historical greatness from an organizational standpoint but completely ignores the typical league play trend.

It's only natural, I suppose, but it doesn't make it any less spurious.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

everyone should be a level headed fan :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

everyone should rate QB's compared to the most average in the league, course first we have to figure out what average is, and of course we have to use stats, cause where all deaf dumb and blind :rotf:

according to my eye, Love is improving, he don't have a good deep ball, but awareness, decision making, up tempo, he looking pretty good. I likey what I see, same with these receivers, chemistry developing.

trip stacks with crossers to me is a true test for a QB, &%$@ comes at ya fast, it's clogged up, and if the crossers cross at the same time, the QB goes cross eyed tracking them, I love it, and Love passed with flying colors yesterday doing it twice, once to Reed, not sure who the other was. he had pass rush getting close too. thats big show football to me.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Verrrrrrrrrrrry subjective opinion here but yesterday, I decided to watch the game mostly comparing the eye test between Herbert and Love since they were both drafted the same year and since of course, Herbert is more established as a Top 10 QB in the league. What stood out to me the most is that I did not see nearly as big of a gap as I expected. Herbert at this point of his career is better, as he should be, but I did not feel like the drop off was that large. What this means? I don't know. It was one game, but interesting to say the least.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 07:35
everyone should be a level headed fan :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

everyone should rate QB's compared to the most average in the league, course first we have to figure out what average is, and of course we have to use stats, cause where all deaf dumb and blind :rotf:

according to my eye, Love is improving, he don't have a good deep ball, but awareness, decision making, up tempo, he looking pretty good. I likey what I see, same with these receivers, chemistry developing.

trip stacks with crossers to me is a true test for a QB, &%$@ comes at ya fast, it's clogged up, and if the crossers cross at the same time, the QB goes cross eyed tracking them, I love it, and Love passed with flying colors yesterday doing it twice, once to Reed, not sure who the other was. he had pass rush getting close too. thats big show football to me.
This is what is making this year fun to watch for sure. Love is showing signs of improving, and these 4 young WR's could be really good in a year or two. Watson has had a rough year but hopefully by the end of the year, he will have gained some confidence going into the offseason. The passing offense could be a real strength in the future.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2023 07:12
Lupe: Yeah but it was against the worst pass defense in the league
I get a kick out of this one.

Last week of last season, we went up against the worst defense in the league in a gotta-have-it game... lost, with poor play at QB. I don't recall Love's current detractors saying the QB was TRAJZ JOOSE, admonishing fans for making excuses for the bad position play, and talking about replacement plans. In fact, I heard endless excuses.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Jordan Love is around a 15th or so rated QB in the league in my opinion. Love's production is very much in par with Rodgers's production last season.

This is what 12th to 16th rated play looks like. You got some good. You got some bad but you always have a desire for more.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The 1 constant with Love this season is that damn underthrown on the deep over the should throws. We know he has enough arm and it is pretty consistently short. My guess is they are throws he has time to think about it and is aiming it. It's kind of a self-perpetuating thing as he lacks confidence in hitting it, he aims it more. Boiled down, it's a confidence thing. He starts hitting that and look out!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2023 08:48
Jordan Love is around a 15th or so rated QB in the league in my opinion. Love's production is very much in par with Rodgers's production last season.

This is what 12th to 16th rated play looks like. You got some good. You got some bad but you always have a desire for more.
all you have to go on is stats and a few bloggers that had been critical of Rodgers .

last years receiver group was far worse then Love has to work with this year and that includes Lazard and Cobb, both OL's started poorly, and the defense was even worse.

I laugh at all of you guys that think Rodgers was no better then what stats showed last year, you must think you know more then FO for the Jets