2020 Dynasty League Discussion

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Of course, the two best teams have to play right away. This is rigged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

When I'm prepping for the draft and trying to figure out who is the best QB5 option to select, my failure in tanking will lead me right back to this bottom-of-the-roster surprise strength:
image.png
image.png (17.73 KiB) Viewed 314 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
10 Dec 2020 08:42
Of course, the two best teams have to play right away. This is rigged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
I don't know if I'd call Trudge the other best team. :dunno: :idn:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

[mention]BF004[/mention] [mention]NCF[/mention] [mention]Packfntk[/mention] [mention]Pckfn23[/mention] [mention]Waldo[/mention] [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] [mention]Madcity_matt[/mention] [mention]Backthepack4ever[/mention] [mention]Trudge[/mention] [mention]mnkcarp[/mention]

Also this is the last week of the regular season. I believe the playoff seeding is completely locked in at this point, short of Trudge outscoring Nick by 303.92 points, it should be 1. Nick, 2, Me, 3 Matt T, 4 Other Matt, which would be Trudge at BF and MadCity at pckfntck wild card round.

Looking forward into the offseason, there are a few things I'd like to discuss that I want other to start thinking about.

1. Moving from Flea Flicker to another host. A lot of people complain about FF and it certainly has its limitations, but if you like other sites better, list which site you like better and the reasons why. Certainly don't want to move just to move, so make your case.

2. Division Realignment. This could be either to swap some guys around to make it even, something we could revisit every time it is lopsided, or we could just all together do away with divisions.

3. Scoring Changes. Just a good examination of all the scoring, maybe just a double check to make sure everything as it is, trying not to make any one positions either irrelevant or too important. Examples, possibly TE's could use a little bump in points on yards, Kickers should be penalized for missed XP's, maybe making K's and Def's a little more important.

4. Tanking. Instead of this setup where we have now where it is up to the commissioners to make a judgement, I would like to develop perhaps more of a set protocol for penalizing people for intentional or inadvertent tanking. Will take the 'fairness' and 'feelings' out of it if it comes to that where the person will really have no reason to complain or argue. If you can't check your lineups while sitting on the &%$@ Sunday morning for 3 minutes, then maybe this isn't the league for you.

5. Trade Deadline. Should be later in the year, perhaps not even have one at all. I guess I don't know how I would feel about a big trade right before the championship game, but is there really a big downside to that? As long as both participants are completely entering the trade voluntarily, guess I don't see a big issue.

6. Playoffs. Seems like much of the year, over half the league already knows it is not going to be their year, how about adding a 5th or 6th team to the playoffs and going with a 1 or 2 seeds on bye weeks? Might keep more of the league engaged and then maybe also make it harder for the 'buyers' late in the year to get overly favorable deals from the 'sellers' should we do away with the trade deadline or move it back.

Anything else anyone want to discuss?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also, want to mention someone had expressed interest in joining the league. DrJ820 maybe?

So if you would like to bow out of the league, sooner the better to begin the transition for the new owner.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:06
Packfntk wrote:
madcity is by far the 1st or 2nd best overall team.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:26
BF004 wrote:
Packfntk wrote:

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

I like the topics. I think one thing that would be interesting, (I do it in 3 of my leagues), is the CALL OUT feature. Once you get to the playoffs, the 1 seed gets to call out their opponent. So instead of getting the 4 seed, they pick their opponent. Works sometimes, doesn't others, but it is always fun. Would be for future of course.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:28
Packfntk wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:26
BF004 wrote:

Yowzers, haha yeah that is funny. :lol: :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:20
1. Moving from Flea Flicker to another host. A lot of people complain about FF and it certainly has its limitations, but if you like other sites better, list which site you like better and the reasons why. Certainly don't want to move just to move, so make your case.
I have no preference here; once flea added an app, everything has been fine for me. But I also don't care if we set up elsewhere. If so, Yahoo would be ideal because that's where the rest of mine are, but I don't know how their dynasty and massive roster functionality works.
BF004 wrote:
2. Division Realignment. This could be either to swap some guys around to make it even, something we could revisit every time it is lopsided, or we could just all together do away with divisions.
I think after every season we should line teams up by points scored and split them into divisions going every other team. It won't always result in perfect balance, but it'll help. And it will be easy and it will be neutral. I am not aware of any rivalries so vital that we need to preserve 2-matchups per year
BF004 wrote:
3. Scoring Changes. Just a good examination of all the scoring, maybe just a double check to make sure everything as it is, trying not to make any one positions either irrelevant or too important. Examples, possibly TE's could use a little bump in points on yards, Kickers should be penalized for missed XP's, maybe making K's and Def's a little more important.
No thoughts now, but good idea to take a look
BF004 wrote:
4. Tanking. Instead of this setup where we have now where it is up to the commissioners to make a judgement, I would like to develop perhaps more of a set protocol for penalizing people for intentional or inadvertent tanking. Will take the 'fairness' and 'feelings' out of it if it comes to that where the person will really have no reason to complain or argue. If you can't check your lineups while sitting on the &%$@ Sunday morning for 3 minutes, then maybe this isn't the league for you.
I think in theory this makes sense; in practice I'm not sure what "rules" could go in place; but I'm game to discuss it because I concur.
BF004 wrote:
5. Trade Deadline. Should be later in the year, perhaps not even have one at all. I guess I don't know how I would feel about a big trade right before the championship game, but is there really a big downside to that? As long as both participants are completely entering the trade voluntarily, guess I don't see a big issue.
Maybe a little later, but the buy/sell incentive for teams in or out of it could make some things dicey
BF004 wrote:
6. Playoffs. Seems like much of the year, over half the league already knows it is not going to be their year, how about adding a 5th or 6th team to the playoffs and going with a 1 or 2 seeds on bye weeks? Might keep more of the league engaged and then maybe also make it harder for the 'buyers' late in the year to get overly favorable deals from the 'sellers' should we do away with the trade deadline or move it back.
Hard disagree; with only ten teams, I do not think more than 4 should make the playoffs. I'm never a fan of hitting 50% of the league (in fantasy or real life). Totally takes the fun and purpose out of the regular season. If we fielded some sort of re-expansion to 12 teams (which would be complicated AF) then I could maaaaybe bear going to 6, but that's still a pretty low standard of success

Any thoughts baout putting small pots of money in play to make it matter a bit more to those in multiple leagues?

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
Not the biggest fan of FleaFlicker. I do like MyFantasyLeague because it is 100% customizable, but wouldn't throw a fit if it were on Flea again. Yahoo is easy, but not sure it can contain dynasty easily.
BF004 wrote:
I am fine with whatever I guess. However the 2nd division is WAY better than the 1st, and I do not think that will change in the next 2-3 years. Feel bad for the 3rd and 4th teams in that division, as they may win the other division, but not make the playoffs in some years in their current situation.
BF004 wrote:
HAHA, I brought up missed XP's, as that HAS to change in my opinion. But I am fine with the way scoring is other than that.
BF004 wrote:
Tanking should never happen, in any league. Everything plays a factor in every matchup and it should not be tolerated. I do not like putting that power in commissioners hands, however. Maybe we set up a $10 or $20 insurance policy and if you are declared to be tanking you get $5 taken from said pot?
BF004 wrote:
Trade deadline should be right before week 14 games. We want activity right? Make it right before the Thursday night game before week 14, so people know if they are buying for this year, or selling for the future.
BF004 wrote:
Bottom half teams should never get in. I would vote NO to this, 4 teams for me.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I say do away with Divisions. Never have liked them in Fantasy. Realigning could just lead to the same situation in 3-4 years.

Move away from Fleaflicker would be great. MyFantasyLeague is customizable, but the interface is awful, or at least it was since I used it 2 years ago. I am always partial to Yahoo or ESPN. Yahoo has come a long way in allowing Dynasty.

Otherwise, I think we need to realize COVID did throw a lot of wrenches into things, so don't overreact to something that is happening this season.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

A couple things I have been thinking about during my slide to the top of the draft order. Draft order based on points scored, not standings, or standings with a draft lottery for top-3.

Those that have been around since the beginning remember we used to have 2 D's and 2 K's. It was too hard to keep that with Bye Weeks, but as I look at scores each week, it amazes me how outcomes are often defined by what teams have at TE. My team is a perfect example. When I can play Kittle, Andrews, and/or Ertz, my team has won a lot of games. A few get hurt and there are not enough decent replacements. I wouldn't mind reducing down to 1 TE starting and adding another R/W/T Flex. I am not proposing this, but in this league where QB's are absolute gold, 3 is magic and impossible for all teams to achieve 3 legit QB's. Good teams will hate this, but I would give a passing thought to reducing one of our Q/R/W/T to another R/W/T.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I gotta say I really like the ability to play up to 3 QB's. If we cap it at 2, that really limits a great strength for teams who want to build with multiple QB's. Yet only having to play one is great.

Now what I think would be a great discussion would be lowering QB points. The top 5 point scorers in the league are QB's and 6 of the top 7. So I think that would be a valid argument there I could get behind. That probably shouldn't happen. Currently it is 1 point for every 25 yards and 4 points for every TD. Both of those could be tweeked a little to level out the top better.

I think I would also be for changing a TE spot to either a TE/WR spot, or maybe even TE/WR/RB spot.

I really like giving everyone the freedom to kind of build their team how they want. You got 3 great TE's, go ahead and play them, you got 3 great QB's, go ahead and play them. Guess I never want to see good players sitting on the bench regardless, and allows each owner to go get players they like, even if they are comfortable at that position.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 11:04
Otherwise, I think we need to realize COVID did throw a lot of wrenches into things, so don't overreact to something that is happening this season.
I am not quite sure which topics you might think are being overreacted to due to COVID.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 11:41
Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 11:04
I am not quite sure which topics you might think are being overreacted to due to COVID.
Overreact is a strong word. More of a general statement than anything. COVID threw a wrench in things that may not apply to other years, specifically teams not playing during certain weeks and players going out unexpectedly. Possibly leading to some talent and record shifts that may not have occurred otherwise.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 11:40
I gotta say I really like the ability to play up to 3 QB's. If we cap it at 2, that really limits a great strength for teams who want to build with multiple QB's. Yet only having to play one is great.

Now what I think would be a great discussion would be lowering QB points. The top 5 point scorers in the league are QB's and 6 of the top 7. So I think that would be a valid argument there I could get behind. That probably shouldn't happen. Currently it is 1 point for every 25 yards and 4 points for every TD. Both of those could be tweeked a little to level out the top better.

I think I would also be for changing a TE spot to either a TE/WR spot, or maybe even TE/WR/RB spot.

I really like giving everyone the freedom to kind of build their team how they want. You got 3 great TE's, go ahead and play them, you got 3 great QB's, go ahead and play them. Guess I never want to see good players sitting on the bench regardless, and allows each owner to go get players they like, even if they are comfortable at that position.
Our QB's area already at the low for the fantasy community, no way they should be lowered even more.

I could care less on TE, and giving owners the most flexibility is the best thing. In MFL we just set minimums or maximums. Max at 3 QB's, but min at 1. Same thing at RB/WR/TE but larger maximums. If someone wants to play 1 QB/2RB/7WR/2TE/1K/1DEF let them, same thing at RB.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
10 Dec 2020 11:40
My favorite way to address QB scoring is not to lower the points for their positive output, but to increase the penalties for negative plays.

I have, in past leagues, bumped INTs to -3 rather than the standard -2. I also like (not just QBs) giving -1 point for any fumble and then -2 more if that fumble is lost (thus all turnovers count as -3 total, but fumbling and being lucky enough that a teammate recovers it still costs)

I also like -0.5 points for taking a sack as a QB.

It helps balance out QB impact, sure, but it also helps equate fantasy value to real value. If a QB takes 6 sacks and throws 3 INTs, that QB has lost the game for his team, regardless of how many yards he threw for.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Bump yards to 30 for a point and call it good.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Why would we decrease QB value? 11 of the top 20 scorers are QB's, in 2019 it was 10. We are in a league where we start 3 QB's, how is this bad? Do you only want 5 QB's in the top 20 scorers?