Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

:rotf:
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
06 Mar 2022 17:09
Since I read this on the internet it must be true:

While an iconic defense and the quarterback duo of Manning and Brock Osweiler were enough to carry the Broncos to the Super Bowl 50 championship to cap 2015, Denver has not reached the postseason since then and is coming off five consecutive losing seasons.

The Broncos’ Opening Day starting quarterbacks during their five-year losing record skid: Trevor Siemian (2017), Case Keenum (2018), Joe Flacco (2019), Drew Lock (2020) and Teddy Bridgewater (2021).

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
Not enough.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
05 Mar 2022 08:02
paco wrote:
05 Mar 2022 07:13
wallyuwl wrote:
04 Mar 2022 22:22

About where he wants to play 2022. Didn't say what the difficulties were (money, control, personality differences, etc).
I think at this point it is who surrounds him. Rodgers potentially wants a certain support group or friends. He knows that is now lacking in Green Bay. But I think he also truly loves the Packers and people in the organization, fans, and his legacy.

Denver or Green Bay are 2 very different situations. I can imagine it is a tough decision to make on where to finish out your career. But I think it has boiled down to a quality of life issue and comfort level. Then to a lesser extent, the football and money stuff.
I agree, he doesn't want to hang around if he doesn't think the FO is all in about keeping our best players together so we have a realistic chance to compete for the SB, and that probably includes Adams, I f he feels confident Guty is on board to do this then I'd think he'd love to play out his last years as a Packer, but I think he realizes that may be a impossible task.
Outside of Adams Rodgers has to notice that Gute and company are trying to create as much cap space as possible to keep the core of the team together to entice Aaron to stick around. I'm not going to put much stock into any "reports" by the media until Rodgers and the Packers make an announcement.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
06 Mar 2022 19:14
paco wrote:
Not enough.
So throw in a 3rd a year from now. Don't get too greedy and not pull it off.

Pick #9

6'3 225 4.55 approx. Very good hand size and catching radius.

However he might be available in the 15-20 range so the Packers could trade down and still get him.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
07 Mar 2022 08:49
Yoop wrote:
05 Mar 2022 08:02
paco wrote:
05 Mar 2022 07:13

I think at this point it is who surrounds him. Rodgers potentially wants a certain support group or friends. He knows that is now lacking in Green Bay. But I think he also truly loves the Packers and people in the organization, fans, and his legacy.

Denver or Green Bay are 2 very different situations. I can imagine it is a tough decision to make on where to finish out your career. But I think it has boiled down to a quality of life issue and comfort level. Then to a lesser extent, the football and money stuff.
I agree, he doesn't want to hang around if he doesn't think the FO is all in about keeping our best players together so we have a realistic chance to compete for the SB, and that probably includes Adams, I f he feels confident Guty is on board to do this then I'd think he'd love to play out his last years as a Packer, but I think he realizes that may be a impossible task.
Outside of Adams Rodgers has to notice that Gute and company are trying to create as much cap space as possible to keep the core of the team together to entice Aaron to stick around. I'm not going to put much stock into any "reports" by the media until Rodgers and the Packers make an announcement.
It's all gossip to attract a response, the people that actually know something have enough respect for all concerned that there keeping a tight lip, Rodgers knows the FO wants him back and are trying to create cap space to keep key vets, that seems pretty obvious when they extend a LT that hasn't played in almost 2 full seasons, not sure I would have done that for a 9 year vet still basically recovering from a knee injury.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Mar 2022 09:14
wallyuwl wrote:
06 Mar 2022 19:14
paco wrote:
Not enough.
So throw in a 3rd a year from now. Don't get too greedy and not pull it off.

Pick #9

6'3 225 4.55 approx. Very good hand size and catching radius.

However he might be available in the 15-20 range so the Packers could trade down and still get him.
3 firsts and a decent player or they can pound sand.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
07 Mar 2022 11:35

The first rounders in 2023 and 2024 would be in the 20s, probably mid to late. So IMO the minimum would be: 9th pick and second and third rounder this year, 2023 and 2024 first rounders. Plus, a pick in the future is typically regarded as one round lower than a current year pick. There is no point in trading just to trade unless it will be like a Walker to Dallas type of situation that sets the team up for future success.

All that said, I think he comes back as the highest paid player in the league (that sets the team up for present and future cap hell) with an "out" after 2023.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

The upcoming TV money has all the GMs spending money like drunken sailors. I said it before and I''ll say it again. Brady and Rodgers and other high profile players were pissed at the last CBA and wanted the players to have more say. They wanted the NFL to be like the NBA and that is exactly what we are getting. Rodgers may stay here but he's basically forcing the Packers hand to mortgage the future. That's what happens when you cater to the modern fans who want instant gratification.

Us old farts that remember the 70s & 80s would much rather the team be quasi-competitive for a year or two then to take one more run and suck for a number of years afterwards. I would rather have Campbell, Douglas, Preston, and Jaire stick around then keep Aaron and Tae at huge contracts. Be more like the 49ers and run the ball 40-45 times a game and play stingy defense until Love proves himself or you find a QB who can make plays when we need them.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
07 Mar 2022 11:50
paco wrote:
07 Mar 2022 11:35

The first rounders in 2023 and 2024 would be in the 20s, probably mid to late. So IMO the minimum would be: 9th pick and second and third rounder this year, 2023 and 2024 first rounders. Plus, a pick in the future is typically regarded as one round lower than a current year pick. There is no point in trading just to trade unless it will be like a Walker to Dallas type of situation that sets the team up for future success.

All that said, I think he comes back as the highest paid player in the league (that sets the team up for present and future cap hell) with an "out" after 2023.
Not sure I want all those picks this year. Maybe 1 extra one other than 9. But rather stock up in future years to keep the new blood coming.

Regardless, it all starts with #9 and firsts in 2023 and 2024. I'd love a lot more, but would be happy with that and a player like Albert Okwuegbunam in return. Which is exactly the trade I did in the group mock we are doing right now.
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

image.png
image.png (462.39 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
07 Mar 2022 13:47
image.png

Haha, just texted the picture to a few buddies of mine like 5 mins ago.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2022 13:49
IF this is true I suppose we'll find out tomorrow on Pat McAfee's show...?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pugger wrote:
07 Mar 2022 20:17
BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2022 13:49
IF this is true I suppose we'll find out tomorrow on Pat McAfee's show...?
Maybe, but this was reported even last year. I expected we'd hear by last Friday. Wouldn't doubt we hear tomorrow.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
07 Mar 2022 22:08
Maybe, but this was reported even last year. I expected we'd hear by last Friday. Wouldn't doubt we hear tomorrow.
I have a hunch AR will do a favor for Davante Adams and wait on his decision until the franchise tag deadline passes. That way there's almost no chance for GB to tag Adams. Players hate the tag, and tag and trade is way worse for them than just hitting the market and being able to choose their destination.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 00:28
paco wrote:
07 Mar 2022 22:08
I have a hunch AR will do a favor for Davante Adams and wait on his decision until the franchise tag deadline passes. That way there's almost no chance for GB to tag Adams. Players hate the tag, and tag and trade is way worse for them than just hitting the market and being able to choose their destination.
I think you are probably right and Rodgers and Adams will be playing together next season in Denver. And all GB will get for Adams is a comp pick.

Of course GB could trade Rodgers tomorrow but that would require that Denver (or someone similar with a lot of cap) agree. Why should Denver agree, they want both Rodgers and Adams and if they allow GB to tag and trade Adams, they have to pay a lot more than a 3rd for the best WR in the league.?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Giving up either the league MVP or the league's top receiver makes no sense. :bkw:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
08 Mar 2022 07:02
Giving up either the league MVP or the league's top receiver makes no sense. :bkw:
it's easier to replace a Adams then it is a Rodgers, this coming draft is loaded with potential Adams replacements, if he wants to be the highest paid WR it wont be with GB, I hoped we'd be able to tag and trade him, initially I hoped we could figure out a way to keep him, but neither seem likely now, this is why I think spending a high pick on a WR every 3 or 4 seasons is wise, that way when they become over priced ya have a fall back player of comparable talent ready to take over the #1 receiver roll.

If Cousins can turn rookie Jefferson into one of the best rookie receivers ever Rodgers can do the same thing, and if he choses to remain a Packer imo he'll have to

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I will say we have no answer today as expected.

I can't envision a scenario where not tagging Davante is the right thing to do. So just tag him.

If Rodgers plays here, extend Davante and play cap gymnastics and lets run it back a few more years.

If we trade Rodgers, I'll wanna cut some vet contracts anyways, try to extend Davante or trade him for another 1 and 4.

If Rodgers retires, I'll wanna cut some vet contracts anyways, try to extend Davante or trade him for another 1 and 4.

Don't think the Davante things matters much on Aaron personally, already rumored like December we'd tag him if no contract. Packers notoriously wait till the 11th hour to do everything.

So yeah, my guess is no Aaron decision either way today.