Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The Love pick did not cost us a SuperBowl.

We had what we needed to win it at least once, maybe twice, and we squandered it all by ourselves, or the issues that cost us one (e.g. historically bad STs in 2021, Rodgers's Favrian/Peytonesque choke routine in '20 and '21) are not ones that would have been fixed by drafting someone else late in Round 1.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Mar 2023 07:57
Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2023 07:46
But the contract given Rodgers a year ago seemed like mostly a 2 year deal, now we hear Guty may keep Crosby ( mister automatic) and Bahk ( the best when healthy) around another season, which leads me to believe if Rodgers wants to stay then Guty is willing to go in that direction too.

we all wish Rodgers would spill his intentions sooner rather then later.
I do wonder if they’re all related, right? Like Preston is done. Jaire is done. But Crosby is maybe and Bakh is being “worked on.” Two of Rodgers’ good buddies.

I’m not saying they’ll get rid of one or the other based on Rodgers, but the degree of a restructure for Bakh or the urgency to bring back Crosby might be awaiting this resolution to some degree. It just seems too much of a coincidence that two old the older guys closer to Rodgers are the ones who were discussed, but haven’t been resolved, yesterday.
I see your point as well, it does seem like the time to move on.

but what happened last season was a culmination of things that didn't work.

lack of experience at WR.
Lack of consistency with the OL
loss of pass rush ability and communication with the secondary.

these are major issues that would derail any team, yes Rodgers play declined as well, but is probably do to in large part to the WR and OL issues.
just maybe Gute agree's and his time frame to move on with Love is next year.

some of us have felt this way and voiced it before, only to be shot down with rationality, but when in your experience Yoho has rational been a part of this process, lol, not often in my recollection, GM's do irrational things all the time in the quest to win, just saying :aok:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Love doesnt have to win a SB to be worth the pick to me. That will be determined by a lot more than just Love.

Like Rodgers SB was determined by a lot more than just Rodgers. The talent on that team was very strong.

However, the Rodgers situation being settled before the combine would have been helpful for Love, so he can know if he will be elsewhere or in GB, and so the team can know if they will have more picks or less, and think about who they want to draft based on who is at QB.
Last edited by Drj820 on 01 Mar 2023 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
01 Mar 2023 08:00

We had what we needed to win it at least once, maybe twice, and we squandered it all by ourselves, or the issues that cost us one (e.g. historically bad STs in 2021, Rodgers's Favrian/Peytonesque choke routine in '20 and '21) are not ones that would have been fixed by drafting someone else late in Round 1.
ohh BS, one less dropped pass and we win that PO game in 2020, how can you say Rodgers choked in a game with at least 5 dropped passes and 2 that would have amounted to TD's, get off the hate wagon.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 08:14
Love doesnt have to win a SB to be worth the pick to me. That will be determined by a lot more than just Love.

Like Rodgers SB was determined by a lot more than just Rodgers. The talent on that team was very strong.

However, the Rodgers situation being settled by the combine would have been helpful for Love, so he can know if he will be elsewhere or in GB, and so the team can know if they will have more picks or less, and think about who they want to draft based on who is at QB.
so your more concerned with Love then you are with team, and don't worry about how we plan for draft picks or any of that other stuff, we have a team ffull of experts that work on draft process, they don't need a month to work that out, lets face it your just looking for something to complain about.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Saying AR has all the power is unrealistic. Is he in a good position? Sure. He has some veto power. If they want to send him to a team that has no shot or is totally rebuilding. Yes. He can say I’ll just retire. And we say, “Fine, let us know if you ever want to unretire and we’ll try to facilitate a trade or you can sit behind Love.” We still have his rights. But if we are sending him to a team that is on the rise, one where an Elite QB can get them over the edge, he is going to go. Because it works for both sides.

Rodgers doesn’t want to burn his way out of town like Favre did. He wants to be regarded more like Starr, when his time is over. Stabbing the club in the heart doesn’t endear yourself to the fans.

If he insists on coming back, assuming you don't want him to, you come right out and say to AR we are building this team for Love. Big Dog, Lazard, Cobb, and Mason will be gone. While we hope for the playoffs, realistically we are looking 2-3 years down the line to make a serious run. If you want to stay, you are doing so with a bunch of kids cause that’s who we can afford. The team that could have advanced in the last 3 years will be gone so if you really want a ring, here are the teams that you can win with and that want you. Do you have preference and we’ll try swing it. To get this thing working we might take less to make him happy.

Time is not on AR's side. If he wants a ring he'll be wasting one of his few remaining years with us this year. Moving on gives him two solid years to win. It gives the Pack a fresh infusion of high draft picks. It works for everyone.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2023 08:15
ohh BS, one less dropped pass and we win that PO game in 2020,
Or if Rodgers didn't miss wide-open Adams streaking down the sidelines for a sure-TD. Or if he threw to a red-hot MVS more.

"coulda, woulda, shoulda" cuts both ways. Don't play that game if you won't also apply it to Rodgers.

Notice I don't actually deny or try to cover for the WRs when you criticize them, like you do Rodgers's errors. I just think our stars playing like stars is the key to winning games, and that QB is the position that affects the game most, so a star QB's play is the biggest deal.

Now if the QB plays well yet we still lose, then maybe you can move on to other players. On two or three occasions, that has been the case, Rodgers played fine in both our AZ playoff losses. In that case, I blame D collapse, not Rodgers.

That has *not* been the case since 2019.

how can you say Rodgers choked in a game with at least 5 dropped passes and 2 that would have amounted to TD's,
Because Rodgers played poorly, not in the sense he was not statistically productive (in which receiver drops is the issue), not like the first half of the DET game we just played. No, Rodgers was individually and in his own capacity playing stupid football. Tampa double- and triple-covered Adams all game and Rodgers rather than throwing elsewhere forced 15(!) passes to Adams.

It was especially stupid considering MVS was red-hot that day, a few more passes his way could have won the game for us, and when we needed a score, he should have went to his big sure-handed TE target who was $$ in the red-zone rather than forcing passes to Adams over and over (who, again, was double/triple-covered all game and had even less space to get open in the red-zone).

In contrast, Mahomes threw like half as many passes to his star receiver (Kelce) in the AFCCG because Mahomes recognized he was not open as much, and instead threw to his other receivers more, receivers that are not star players (in the AFFCG, MVS was the guy who stepped up).

That's the beauty of what the Chiefs and Mahomes do, they have different guys step up at WR depending on the game, even if they are not all star players, as Rodgers fans believe is required to deserve being thrown to at all.

get off the hate wagon.
NO.
Last edited by Labrev on 01 Mar 2023 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Rodgers isn’t going to be a backup. If we are paying $60M to a backup QB that’s a fireable offense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The Rodgers as Backup is the dumbest idea yet

Its Trade or cut Rodgers

Or start Rodgers and trade Love

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2023 08:15
Labrev wrote:
01 Mar 2023 08:00

ohh BS, one less dropped pass and we win that PO game in 2020, how can you say Rodgers choked in a game with at least 5 dropped passes and 2 that would have amounted to TD's, get off the hate wagon.
That dropped pass would have net us 4 points, so technically we still would have lost. And that drop was by a 2014 2nd Round Draft Pick, now Jordan Love.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Mar 2023 09:00
Rodgers isn’t going to be a backup. If we are paying $60M to a backup QB that’s a fireable offense.
Telling AR he can back up Love is one thing to get the ball rolling. Telling Favre he'd be sitting was a factor in him accepting the trade to the Jets. He knew how good AR was. Did he really want to risk sitting? Now another old man if given a choice has to factor this into the mix. Are they really going to do this or even have a true competition for starter? What if I start slow? What if I get some nagging injury? The possibility exists that I could get benched by for younger guy. That's the nature of the game. If AR moves on, the bench isn't even a remote possibility. Plus he has the ready made excuse. New system, new receivers, and new opponents that buys him breathing space if he starts slow till he puts it together.

Of course if he does stay that might give him the Bump Bailey boost and get him work on his own game and to engage in the young receiver's development more.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 08:24
He may have been correct to think this in 2020 and 2021, when we had a guy like Adams on the team (who not only was an incredible talent, but also had a mental connection with Rodgers's mind yet unseen by any other receiver to ever play with him).

In 2022 though, he needed adjust for the loss of that player and embrace that game manager role rather than stubbornly keep play for stats and his ego. And when he did, I thought he looked excellent. I would be willing to hold onto that Rodgers a few years more and take a few more shots at a 'chip, even at the expense of Love.

But he just couldn't stick with it, too much ego ball. And for that, we are better off moving on and seeing what if anything we have in Love.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lets face it, if Gute is so confident Love is ready to start...and Love is very cheap...the only thing making this situation difficult is the contract restructure HE gave Rodgers last year.

Colossal error.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, you gotta think Belichick with maybe 1-3 more years left (he's turning 71 in April) can't be excited about finishing out his career with Mac Jones and gotta be having real discussions about Aaron.

They also appear to have a little more freedom with their picks than does the Jets.

image.png
image.png (17.06 KiB) Viewed 285 times
image.png
image.png (12.26 KiB) Viewed 285 times

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 10:07
Lets face it, if Gute is so confident Love is ready to start...and Love is very cheap...the only thing making this situation difficult is the contract restructure HE gave Rodgers last year.

Colossal error.
Yep, the minute we gave him that contract, I immediately thought "we're all going to hate that in a year". Tough call for Gutey though. Rodgers was coming off of back to back MVP's.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If we get a 1st or 2nd and change out of it and are only out $8 million extra in 2023 cap dollars, I am not going to be too critical of it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 10:33
If we get a 1st or 2nd and change out of it and are only out $8 million extra in 2023 cap dollars, I am not going to be too critical of it.
Agreed. It was a mistake of holding on a year too late. But I understand why they did it. As long as we can get some decent compensation for Rodgers this year, I still won't mob too hard.

But if I see Rodgers, Cobb, Crosby and friends in GB in 2023... :swear: :swear: :mob: :mob: :mob: :suicide:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2023 10:07

Colossal error.
Disliked it then. Hate it now. Always wanted Adams over Rodgers if forced to choose at that time juncture. The restructure given was a complicated albatross.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I really can’t agree with all the Monday morning quarterbacking going on.

What other kind of contract would we expect a team to give a guy coming off two MVPs?
Why would we be harsh on Rodgers for 2022, when most of us anticipated a slow down to the Packer offense (with the rookies)?
Why would we think Rodgers is in serious decline when he battled over several injuries, including throwing with a broken thumb?

Whether Rodgers plays in GB or someplace else in 2023, a lot of people are going to be surprised when he plays quite well. I’m not expecting a 2011 version of Rodgers. (His arm might be in slight decline and he surely doesn’t run like before.) But he’s going to be fine.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!