Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
29 Jul 2023 03:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jul 2023 23:40
If the top priority for every player is money, why did Rodgers just give back $35 million?
If winning is more important than money he would play for nothing.

Taking a reduction in money shows how important winning is for him but money is still top just like it is for everyone.
Alright, so then winning is more important to him now than it was over the last several years.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jul 2023 08:19
FFS, Rodgers took a pay cut because the Jets are interested in acquiring Cooks and other offensive players, and he wouldn't with us because all we cared about was bringing in defensive players, thats our history, Rodgers renegotiated his contract several times, what did the FO do, resigned a defensive player or two, duhh

the amount of money a player makes translates to there standing in the league, Aaron Donald is the best and his contract says so, is he taking a pay cut? hell no. :rotf:

we watch and see what players actually play for, recognition, we watch them jump for glee the most when they or a team mate make a great play, a play that only a very few are capable of, imho that turns them on like no amount of money could ever hope to, that is what I love about this game.
If AR had marched into Gutey's office and said: I will take a pay cut ON THE CONDITION that ALL of the cap savings go towards the O. I will ONLY give you this discount IF you use it for weapons for me.

Now. Why would Gutey have said no to that!? It would've been free money! It would've simply been more talent for the O.

I don't think AR ever offered a discount for GB. He milked every dime after GB got his first years on the cheap. That, I'm fine with.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 09:07
Yoop wrote:
29 Jul 2023 08:19
FFS, Rodgers took a pay cut because the Jets are interested in acquiring Cooks and other offensive players, and he wouldn't with us because all we cared about was bringing in defensive players, thats our history, Rodgers renegotiated his contract several times, what did the FO do, resigned a defensive player or two, duhh

the amount of money a player makes translates to there standing in the league, Aaron Donald is the best and his contract says so, is he taking a pay cut? hell no. :rotf:

we watch and see what players actually play for, recognition, we watch them jump for glee the most when they or a team mate make a great play, a play that only a very few are capable of, imho that turns them on like no amount of money could ever hope to, that is what I love about this game.
If AR had marched into Gutey's office and said: I will take a pay cut ON THE CONDITION that ALL of the cap savings go towards the O. I will ONLY give you this discount IF you use it for weapons for me.

Now. Why would Gutey have said no to that!? It would've been free money! It would've simply been more talent for the O.

I don't think AR ever offered a discount for GB. He milked every dime after GB got his first years on the cheap. That, I'm fine with.
please supply the names of players that you've heard of that have ever done that? and how do you know that Rodgers never did?

again 2 or 3 times Rodgers has diverted money to the future in order to HELP this team, in return he got a never ending cycle of very raw WR recruits.

your right Rodgers after getting pacifier money from Murphy to stay in FEb or March of 2018 was disappointed when Gutekunst idea of fixing the WR position was to bring in 3 mid round raw receivers, if Rodgers didn't dislike Guty prior that surely didn't warm his heart, 2017 made beyond obvious that we lacked the receiver talent to make McCarthy's passing schemes work, Guty dropped the ball in that draft, and now everyone is defending that. and just blaming Rodgers.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Brady took a reduced value contract repeatedly through his career. Nobody talks about how few championships the Pats won when they had him.

I'm never going to fault a player for getting all they can, but if winning is truly the most important thing, it can't be all about the money as well.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Aaron Jones
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
29 Jul 2023 09:48
Brady took a reduced value contract repeatedly through his career. Nobody talks about how few championships the Pats won when they had him.

I'm never going to fault a player for getting all they can, but if winning is truly the most important thing, it can't be all about the money as well.
and the team actually brought in offensive help when he took the pay cuts, thats how this stuff is suppose to work.

lack of money didn't stop us from adding a ready to play receiver over the years, that is such a lame excuse, Stevie Wonder could see where we used most resources :dunno:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Plenty of examples over the years of adding FA offensive talent.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 09:51
Aaron Jones
Aaron Jones What? you throw this name out as though he walked into the office and said I want a pay cut so you can bring in a player, and that is hardly accurate since he pushed the money just as Rodgers did towards a future settlement, least thats how I remember it :idn:

people dissing Rodgers for not doing a Brady thing don't want to deal with the fact that the Patriots actually did reward Brady for doing it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Aaron Jones actually took a pay cut to stay on the Packers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Brady took a cut with the Bucs to bring in both Gronk and AB. It’s been done.

In many ways, Mahommes is doing it right now. So is grossly underpaid Travis Kelce.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 10:13
little different then walking into the GM's office and saying I'll take a pay cut if you bring in such and such.
a pay cut to remain on the team, or deferring contract money to the future helps the team, but it's not the same as a pay cut to bring in specific talent.

Rodgers took a pay cut, and the Jets announced that there bringing in Cooks for a try out.

same as Brady did to bring in several different receivers over the years.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

<Conspiracy mode>

I think they had to give Rodgers the 2018 extension because he practically revolted when he heard they wanted to make Russ Ball the GM.
https://totalpackers.com/2018/01/aaron- ... ball-camp/
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... g-m-in-g-b
Ironically, Rodgers actions lead to Gutey being named the GM, whom he ended up disliking anyway.

<end conspiracy mode>
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Jul 2023 12:04
<Conspiracy mode>

I think they had to give Rodgers the 2018 extension because he practically revolted when he heard they wanted to make Russ Ball the GM.
https://totalpackers.com/2018/01/aaron- ... ball-camp/
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... g-m-in-g-b
Ironically, Rodgers actions lead to Gutey being named the GM, whom he ended up disliking anyway.

<end conspiracy mode>
Russ Ball wasn't qualified to be a GM, I read both articles years ago, basically he's just a contract guy, almost zero scouting ability, so where's his eye for talent come from? sitting next to Teddy T. doesn't make him Teddy T. :rotf:

I remember other articles that said Rodgers preferred GM was Highsmith or Eliot Wolf, I never read that he didn't like Gutekunst until after the 2018 draft.

your right in that all that stuff is second hand rumor, who knows unless a insider gives us legit info.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jul 2023 10:28
Pckfn23 wrote:
little different then walking into the GM's office and saying I'll take a pay cut if you bring in such and such.
a pay cut to remain on the team, or deferring contract money to the future helps the team, but it's not the same as a pay cut to bring in specific talent.

Rodgers took a pay cut, and the Jets announced that there bringing in Cooks for a try out.

And there is no evidence what so ever that Rodgers did walk into the GMs office and asked for that, or did and was denied, or even entertained the notion of a pay cut.

That facts are as [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] outlined.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

What are we even talking about here?

Is there another push that the Jets are doing right by Rodgers so Rodgers took a pay cut because he believes the Jets are giving him a squad superior to what he had in GB?

The Jets are literally modeling their offense to the 2020 and 2021 Packers offense for the exception that the Jets have a worse #1 WR and an even older Randall Cobb.

The Jets are getting praised on this thread for going after Dalvin Cook when knowing BG would get slammed for this move because it's the "wrong position". Breece Hall is expected back early in the season. Double dipping at RB would get slammed here. How do I know that?...because I read our forum boards after Round 2 in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2023 13:16

Is there another push that the Jets are doing right by Rodgers so Rodgers took a pay cut because he believes the Jets are giving him a squad superior to what he had in GB?

The Jets are literally modeling their offense to the 2020 and 2021 Packers offense for the exception that the Jets have a worse #1 WR and an even older Randall Cobb.

The Jets are getting praised on this thread for going after Dalvin Cook when knowing BG would get slammed for this move because it's the "wrong position". Breece Hall is expected back early in the season. Double dipping at RB would get slammed here. How do I know that?...because I read our forum boards after Round 2 in the 2020 NFL Draft.
So why do you think rodgers squeezed the packers for every Penny he could and then landed in New York and took one of the largest paycuts in league history?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 13:07
Yoop wrote:
29 Jul 2023 10:28
Pckfn23 wrote:

And there is no evidence what so ever that Rodgers did walk into the GMs office and asked for that, or did and was denied, or even entertained the notion of a pay cut.

That facts are as @YoHoChecko outlined.
those are not facts per se, they are Yoho's opinions of what he thinks.

people act like Brady was some sort of Saint and Rodgers was a descendent of Satan :thwap:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 10:09
Not offensive talent. We brought in offensive players. There’s a difference. Jimmy Graham got paid and was &%$@. Billy Turner got paid significantly more than he should have, as referenced by the contracts he received after GB, and he was &%$@. Sammy Watkins was brought in and was &%$@.

Let’s go back even further to the TT days. Marcellus Bennett. Cedric Benson way past his prime. Jeff Saturday.

I can honestly say the only good FA I can think of that we brought here on offense in the Rodgers era was Jared Cook for a single season.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2023 13:16

Aaron Jones= Dalvin Cooks, they want that type versatility, plus they have Garrett and Hardeman and just maybe they will use Cooks more then we've used Jones as a receiver

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jul 2023 13:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 10:09
Not offensive talent. We brought in offensive players. There’s a difference. Jimmy Graham got paid and was &%$@. Billy Turner got paid significantly more than he should have, as referenced by the contracts he received after GB, and he was &%$@. Sammy Watkins was brought in and was &%$@.

Let’s go back even further to the TT days. Marcellus Bennett. Cedric Benson way past his prime. Jeff Saturday.

I can honestly say the only good FA I can think of that we brought here on offense in the Rodgers era was Jared Cook for a single season.
never will understand dropping Cooks to go after a very controversial Bennett.