Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 08:55
The 1 constant with Love this season is that damn underthrown on the deep over the should throws. We know he has enough arm and it is pretty consistently short. My guess is they are throws he has time to think about it and is aiming it. It's kind of a self-perpetuating thing as he lacks confidence in hitting it, he aims it more. Boiled down, it's a confidence thing. He starts hitting that and look out!
no he doesn't, in fact he's famous for not having deep accuracy, when you see a QB throwing with so much air, it's because he doesn't have the arm to throw flatter, he aint aiming nothing, those are all out throws for distance.

good god this has always been known, no one is inventing a dang thing here.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 08:58
Pckfn23 wrote:
The 1 constant with Love this season is that damn underthrown on the deep over the should throws. We know he has enough arm and it is pretty consistently short. My guess is they are throws he has time to think about it and is aiming it. It's kind of a self-perpetuating thing as he lacks confidence in hitting it, he aims it more. Boiled down, it's a confidence thing. He starts hitting that and look out!
no he doesn't, in fact he's famous for not having deep accuracy, when you see a QB throwing with so much air, it's because he doesn't have the arm to throw flatter, he aint aiming nothing, those are all out throws for distance.

good god this has always been known, no one is inventing a dang thing here.
Yoop argue to argue time! :roll:
He has the arm to stick throws into tight windows... His size, mobility and arm talent combined with his 2018 flashes could be a winning hand

Arm strength to dime it into windows

Arm talent and swagger to attack field side Cover 2 hole
He is an “athletic passer with a strong arm who displays bigtime NFL potential,” according to Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network. His arm wasn’t doubted by any NFL scouts and was always seen as a guy who had the arm strength to make any throw on the field.
For NFL.com, he wrote: “Love has ideal size, arm strength and athletic ability. He operates in the gun and he's very fluid and smooth in his setup.

“He throws from a variety of platforms and arm angles. The ball jumps out of his hand. He is at his best on skinny post drive throws and over the top deep balls.
“Love is a case study in traits vs. production. He has the traits scouts love (arm strength, mobility, big-play mentality), but he threw 17 interceptions in 2019. No matter which team drafts him, Love is a sit-and-develop type quarterback, not a rookie starter.

“He must work on cleaning up his decision-making while also growing into a professional quarterback after coming from a conference where his arm strength and athleticism were good enough to win.
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/what-did- ... -draft-535
Pro scouts love Utah State junior Jordan Love’s size (6-foot-4, 224 pounds), mobility and arm strength. They see tight spirals delivered from a variety of arm slots, 50-yard flick-of-the-wrist bombs into tight windows on the run, an ability to make off-schedule plays at the next level
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... ft-concern
As it so happens, Jordan Love has the strongest arm in the class per Dix’s tape analysis, and by a healthy margin. This is not a controversial opinion, and Love is commonly known to possess elite arm strength. Where he struggles is in “trigger time,” and here we see how the most useful comp for Love may in fact be Josh Allen.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021 ... -the-beach

Jordan Love DOES NOT lack the arm strength to make deep throws. Never has.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

The argument "A QB has a weak arm because he throws the ball higher" is a brand new one for me.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:26
The argument "A QB has a weak arm because he throws the ball higher" is a brand new one for me.
then way isn't he throwing a flatter pass? why are his passes short? why are receivers waiting on the ball?

throwing higher is a result of not being able to throw flatter, that has always been known.

and 23: according to some other reports deep ball accuracy is the weakest part of Loves resume, Pauline, OMG you must of dug deep for that one, I quit reading his stuff 10 years ago.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
I have a feeling he is the kind of guy that is going to do workouts with his guys over the offseason and get that down.

From a personality and leadership standpoint...I think Love has it. It's why I tend to think this guy is our guy - even with the lumps.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:37
Acrobat wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:26
and 23: according to some other reports deep ball accuracy is the weakest part of Loves resume, Pauline, OMG you must of dug deep for that one, I quit reading his stuff 10 years ago.
Accuracy, not arm strength. I addressed the deep ball accuracy and a possible reason why it is lacking right now. Read this slowly: Jordan Love does not lack the arm strength to throw the deep ball.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I think it's more of a deliberate throw to let the receiver track and run under and he's just off right now with them, than it is a function of not having the arm strength to get it downfield.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

What sucks about Love is he puts too much air on balls when he needs to dime it and then dimes it when he should just air it.

The Doubs deep ball...way too much air. There was tight coverage. Get that ball there NOW.

The Musgrave wheel route....way to flat!!!! There was NOBODY there. Air that ball so Musgrave can run under it. We are looking at 40 yards on that play easily.

But these are correctable. These are the lumps you take. But it also means he can do both. Because he shows he can do both. Sometimes for the right. And sometimes for the wrong.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

everything over 40 yrds is a lofted pass, very little lazar, in fact I doubt I've seen Love lazar anything over 25 or 30 yrds, the throw to Doubs was a great example of what most deep passes look like from Love, easy pickings type throws, easier for DB's to recover and break up.

again, this is not unique with Love, other starters and good QB's don't have a deep ball either, and win games, this isn't so much a diss on Love, simply pointing out that he is limited, and will never bee a accurate deep ball passer.

I'll eat the crow if I'am wrong, no blem.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yeah, this isn't an arm strength issue, it's mechanics and is coachable.

I'm not a science major by any means, but I do know that if a ball is thrown 40 yards but has a higher trajectory, it travels as far as a ball thrown 50 yards with a lower trajectory.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:10
Yeah, this isn't an arm strength issue, it's mechanics and is coachable.

I'm not a science major by any means, but I do know that if a ball is thrown 40 yards but has a higher trajectory, it travels as far as a ball thrown 50 yards with a lower trajectory.
you throw higher to get distance, Loves deep balls will hit the feet of his deep targets if he tried to throw a flatter pass, your right obviously the ball will go farter with more elevation, so why are our receivers waiting on the ball, and some of Loves deep passes are everything he has, he's not taking anything of em, yet we see Musgrave even, waiting on the ball, we see DB's totally beat, catch up to make plays on the ball.

It's fine, I expect a defense for Love, and I'am not dismissing him as our starter for years to come, but I won't fool myself into thinking he has a strong NFL arm, I don't think he does, and thats obvious to me with these deep passes.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 09:56
everything over 40 yrds is a lofted pass, very little lazar, in fact I doubt I've seen Love lazar anything over 25 or 30 yrds, the throw to Doubs was a great example of what most deep passes look like from Love, easy pickings type throws, easier for DB's to recover and break up.

again, this is not unique with Love, other starters and good QB's don't have a deep ball either, and win games, this isn't so much a diss on Love, simply pointing out that he is limited, and will never bee a accurate deep ball passer.

I'll eat the crow if I'am wrong, no blem.
Yoop you gotta manage expectations dude.

A pass greater than 40 air yards is a LONG throw. Rodgers has a reputation of being the best of the best in terms of getting a ball deep and even his "max limit" is usually 45 - 55 air yards. Though he does have a few outliers that are just insane throws in that 60+ range. He was truly remarkable.

I mean Rodgers was simply incredible. But I wouldn't classify any of his 40+ yard throws as "lasers". They usually had pretty good air under them.

The largest difference I see between Jordan's balls and Aaron's balls on deep throws is simply the speed. Rodgers did seem to have more speed on his throws. Even when they were at the same height.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:31
some of Loves deep passes are everything he has
Which?

Jordan Love does not lack arm strength.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:38
His first time nominated for the honor. :)

I remember how fun it was to watch Aaron get these until they became old hat. This is a cool thing!
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:39
Yoop wrote:
Which?

then why is he throwing sky balls? course he lacks arm strength, I've re watched every game, and every ball over 40 yrs is lofted or as hard as he can throw.

GPG, the only other reason to be late beside to much air under the ball is late trigger, thats it, and I admit he has been late to often, but it still is no excuse for air balls.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Which?

then why is he throwing sky balls? course he lacks arm strength, I've re watched every game, and every ball over 40 yrs is lofted or as hard as he can throw.

GPG, the only other reason to be late beside to much air under the ball is late trigger, thats it, and I admit he has been late to often, but it still is no excuse for air balls.
Which throws? Give me an example of one of his throws that was thrown as hard as he could down the field?

Of course 40+ yards down field is going to be loft. There is not a QB in the league that can throw the ball 40+ yards down field and not loft it.

No, Jordan Love does not lack arm strength. Why do his long balls come up short so often? Confidence, rapport with his receivers, and some footwork issues, would be a good guess.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:57
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Which?

Which throws? Give me an example of one of his throws that was thrown as hard as he could down the field?

Of course 40+ yards down field is going to be loft. There is not a QB in the league that can throw the ball 40+ yards down field and not loft it.

No, Jordan Love does not lack arm strength. Why do his long balls come up short so often? Confidence, rapport with his receivers, would be a good guess.
might have a little loft at 40, course a 40 yrd completion is often 46 yrds, sure most QB's will have a little loft, Loves balls tend to have much more.

and if you want to know which long balls I'am referring to, all of em, you and others here are defending Love having a strong NFL arm, and I havn't seen it yet, why don't you tell me of a pass you think he does thats plus 40 yrds, ya wont cause ya can't.

IMHO Love will never be a accurate deep ball passer, at best he'll need his receivers to make contested catches and wait for his deep passes to arrive.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2023 11:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2023 10:57
Yoop wrote:

No, Jordan Love does not lack arm strength. Why do his long balls come up short so often? Confidence, rapport with his receivers, would be a good guess.
might have a little loft at 40, course a 40 yrd completion is often 46 yrds, sure most QB's will have a little loft, Loves balls tend to have much more.
A little loft on a 40 yard down field throw? That's such a ridiculous comment that proves you are just arguing to argue. EVERY QB to ever play the game of football has had to put loft on a 40+ yarder down the field.
and if you want to know which long balls I'am referring to, all of em, you and others here are defending Love having a strong NFL arm, and I havn't seen it yet,
No, I want you to tell me which long balls you think were short because of arm strength. It can not be all of them as exemplified below.
why don't you tell me of a pass you think he does thats plus 40 yrds, ya wont cause ya can't.

I just did! :aok:
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 20 Nov 2023 11:32, edited 2 times in total.