Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jul 2023 13:51
go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2023 13:16
What are we even talking about here?

Is there another push that the Jets are doing right by Rodgers so Rodgers took a pay cut because he believes the Jets are giving him a squad superior to what he had in GB?

The Jets are literally modeling their offense to the 2020 and 2021 Packers offense for the exception that the Jets have a worse #1 WR and an even older Randall Cobb.

The Jets are getting praised on this thread for going after Dalvin Cook when knowing BG would get slammed for this move because it's the "wrong position". Breece Hall is expected back early in the season. Double dipping at RB would get slammed here. How do I know that?...because I read our forum boards after Round 2 in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Aaron Jones= Dalvin Cooks, they want that type versatility, plus they have Garrett and Hardeman and just maybe they will use Cooks more then we've used Jones as a receiver
Right so you're just confirming what I already said.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 13:37
go pak go wrote:

Is there another push that the Jets are doing right by Rodgers so Rodgers took a pay cut because he believes the Jets are giving him a squad superior to what he had in GB?

The Jets are literally modeling their offense to the 2020 and 2021 Packers offense for the exception that the Jets have a worse #1 WR and an even older Randall Cobb.

The Jets are getting praised on this thread for going after Dalvin Cook when knowing BG would get slammed for this move because it's the "wrong position". Breece Hall is expected back early in the season. Double dipping at RB would get slammed here. How do I know that?...because I read our forum boards after Round 2 in the 2020 NFL Draft.
So why do you think rodgers squeezed the packers for every Penny he could and then landed in New York and took one of the largest paycuts in league history?
Yoho already answered this pages ago.

Rodgers signed a contract in the offseason of 2022 that was gauarnteed to be re-worked and likely reduced in amount if he wanted to play football in 2023. The contract was outrageous and the "paycut taken" by Rodgers was easy to look large because the contract wasn't real and had such a long length to get back to reality. No team was going to let Rodgers play at that contract and Rodgers knew it.

Rodgers didn't do the Packers massive favors on contracts - he was paid what he was worth unlike a guy like Brady who perinnealy accepted less than his worth but Rodgers isn't being a charity case in New York. He is getting more money in New York than he did in GB. Yes there is inflation. But also yes Rodgers isn't viewed as the same QB in the league like he was a few years ago.

Before everyone goes Aywall on the Cap Hit difference between the Jets and Packers...understand the Jets can do this because Rodgers is a new player in New York. But you better believe that the Jets fans will be complaining eventually about Aaron Rodgers cap hit when he is no longer on the team just like we are experiencing right now as well.
image.png
image.png (26.08 KiB) Viewed 454 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 08:42
bud fox wrote:
29 Jul 2023 03:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jul 2023 23:40
If the top priority for every player is money, why did Rodgers just give back $35 million?
If winning is more important than money he would play for nothing.

Taking a reduction in money shows how important winning is for him but money is still top just like it is for everyone.
Alright, so then winning is more important to him now than it was over the last several years.
Yes but I don't think his actual play will be different.

However if there is any truth to that ownership rumor I would say no and I suspect we will see rodgers get a small piece of the jets when he retires.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2023 15:20
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

So why do you think rodgers squeezed the packers for every Penny he could and then landed in New York and took one of the largest paycuts in league history?

Rodgers signed a contract in the offseason of 2022 that was gauarnteed to be re-worked and likely reduced in amount if he wanted to play football in 2023. The contract was outrageous and the "paycut taken" by Rodgers was easy to look large because the contract wasn't real and had such a long length to get back to reality. No team was going to let Rodgers play at that contract and Rodgers knew it.

Rodgers didn't do the Packers massive favors on contracts - he was paid what he was worth unlike a guy like Brady who perinnealy accepted less than his worth but Rodgers isn't being a charity case in New York. He is getting more money in New York than he did in GB. Yes there is inflation. But also yes Rodgers isn't viewed as the same QB in the league like he was a few years ago.

Before everyone goes Aywall on the Cap Hit difference between the Jets and Packers...understand the Jets can do this because Rodgers is a new player in New York. But you better believe that the Jets fans will be complaining eventually about Aaron Rodgers cap hit when he is no longer on the team just like we are experiencing right now as well.

image.png
Rodgers was expected to “rework” his deal once he got to NY. No one expected him to hand back 35 million dollars that he was guaranteed to have in his bank if he didn’t metaphorically hand it back to the Jets.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

^^^^^

You tried arguing that in the off-season too saying nobody would trade for that contract when Yoho kept saying the deal will get reworked. Rodgers also said it would get reworked on the McAfee show.

The final result was we did get good trade value. He did get traded. And he did take a cut
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2023 18:00
^^^^^

You tried arguing that in the off-season too saying nobody would trade for that contract when Yoho kept saying the deal will get reworked. Rodgers also said it would get reworked on the McAfee show.

The final result was we did get good trade value. He did get traded. And he did take a cut
I said the original deal would hurt trade value…Jets, probably knowing 12 would rework the deal, def tried to use the original deal to reduce the compensation needed to get him.

That said, the fact remains..sure the deal may have been inevitable to be redone…that does NOT mean Rodgers was expected to take a 35m pay cut. Maybe he would take a 12m cut, or maybe his deal would get spread out over several years to help the cap. However one thought it would happen, 2 year deal that involved Rodgers pocketing 35m less than he already had guaranteed is not what anyone expected.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Colts RB Jonathan Taylor has requested a trade
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2023 15:20
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

image.png
Thanks for the chart.
If AR plays TWO seasons (23 and 24), that still leaves two further seasons where his cap hit is crazy high. Not as much in 25. But either way he is very unlikely to be playing with the Jets in 25 and 26. The Jets are 100% robbing Peter to pay Paul for 23 and 24.

By comparison, maybe the Jets and the Packers suffer a similar cap hit. But even with inflation, that hit the Jets take of >$60M is OUCH. They better hope they are playing a starting QB on a rookie salary then.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2023 07:07
To me, trading Bakh made all the sense in the world until he again restructured his contract. He’ll count $20M if he doesn’t play for us at all this season. He’d count $30M for us if he plays for us for half the season and then gets traded.

I wanted to go more fully toward rebuild and trade Bakh. But once his contract was adjusted, it became almost moot. Just no big upside to the move anymore.

If we’re 2-6 or something and want to open up $9-10M in rollover funds for 2024… sure. But otherwise I think the die is cast.
Bakhtiari's base salary and per game roster bonus only accounts for a total of $1.765 million this season. Therefore the Packers could save a maximum of close to $1 million in cap space for this season by trading him before the deadline. I don't see him on the roster in 2024 anymore though.
NCF wrote:
28 Jul 2023 09:27
Three straight years where the biggest Packers narrative during draft weekend was would Rodgers be traded or Rodgers has been traded. Partially, if not entirely, timed and orchestrated by Rodgers camp.
It was Schefter who broke the "news" on draft day in 2021 that Rodgers possibly wanted out of Green Bay. I don't think it's fair to blame him for that. I can't remember there was any talk about the team trading him last year. This year was obviously different though.
NCF wrote:
28 Jul 2023 09:28
Even on this site, we had the 13th pick in this Draft and the discussion continues to center around our former QB. Have we really even discussed LVN in any detail yet? I haven't seen it if we have.
Well, LVN hasn't played a single snap for the team so far, he will be talked about once the season starts though.
YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2023 21:52
  • He talked openly about what he was looking for and why he wanted out with the Packers dozens of times. He never mentioned a Super Bowl--not once--as a motivation or determining factor, nor a lack of it as the reason he wanted to leave
I honestly don't remember Rodgers ever publicly saying that he wanted out of the Packers until he mentioned it on the McAfee show this year.
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 10:13
Aaron Jones actually took a pay cut to stay on the Packers.
While that's true I'm quite sure the Packers approached Jones to take a pay cut as they would otherwise move on from him this offseason.
Scott4Pack wrote:
30 Jul 2023 10:26
Thanks for the chart.
If AR plays TWO seasons (23 and 24), that still leaves two further seasons where his cap hit is crazy high. Not as much in 25. But either way he is very unlikely to be playing with the Jets in 25 and 26. The Jets are 100% robbing Peter to pay Paul for 23 and 24.

By comparison, maybe the Jets and the Packers suffer a similar cap hit. But even with inflation, that hit the Jets take of >$60M is OUCH. They better hope they are playing a starting QB on a rookie salary then.
The Jets would take a total of $49 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2025 if Rodgers plays another two years with them. They have the benefit of him counting only a combined $26 million against their cap in 2023 and '24 though, which is extremely cheap for a HOF QB.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jul 2023 22:17
Colts RB Jonathan Taylor has requested a trade
I heard he is having a very public feud with Irsay over Twitter. This could get ugly.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I just learned our old pal Amari Rodgers got cut by Houston. What a waste of a pick this was for us. :P

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Might as well. Nearly everybody I know here in VA still refers to them as the Redskins or ‘Skins. I don’t know anybody who calls them Commanders.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I still call them Redskins as well. People need to stop being so pussy lips. When someone calls me white I don’t get all pissy pants. When a my girl friends kids try and call me daddy I don’t get mad and tell them “only your momma gets to call me daddy.” I let it slide because who the hell cares?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Just had a WR go down, now this.
Screenshot_20230802-031651_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230802-031651_Chrome.jpg (532.99 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
01 Aug 2023 21:23
Might as well. Nearly everybody I know here in VA still refers to them as the Redskins or ‘Skins. I don’t know anybody who calls them Commanders.

seems this is a thing again because the name Commander clashes with the the annual game between Army and the Airforce

The Commanders have already started a three-month appeals process, but should that get denied, the franchise will have to either decide to rebrand for the second time in four years or leave themselves vulnerable to merchandising issues.

If Washington loses the appeal and decides not to rebrand, the Commanders wouldn’t be able to protect their name. Though its logo would be protected, outside sellers could use Washington’s name and colors to create knock-off merchandise, leaving the Commanders to lose out on potential revenue from their official merchandise.

https://www.betus.com.pa/nfl/news/will- ... 6-14-2023/

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I still call them Washington Football Team. :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So what does it sound like when you use the term Redskins "with ultimate respect" vs like just saying the name regularly?

How does one go about that?
Last edited by go pak go on 02 Aug 2023 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
02 Aug 2023 09:15
I still call them Washington Football Team. :mrgreen:
They really should have just called themselves the Pigskins.

Sounds similar. Means Washington Football. And people literally dressed up like pigs - the tradition was already there.

Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2023 09:24
So what does it sound like when you use the term Redskins "with ultimate respect" vs like just saying the name regularly?

How does one go about that?
It means you are totally comfortable with the name, but still want people to think you are a good person and wouldn’t say other names.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

fans still call them the Redskins or Skins because Commanders is something that team hasn't been in many years, they passed over some good names in hopes of sounding superior, that sure doesn't fit.