Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jun 2022 11:59
NCF wrote:
24 Jun 2022 11:53
Realist wrote:
24 Jun 2022 11:49

Keep extending everyone and stack up superbowls. Or not. Not my money I guess.
Is there a point in there?
Our strategy of trying to draft good players, then trying to resign those good players, hasn't resulted in recent Super Bowls. We should probably try to do something different.
OK, I'll bite, The Ramets don't have a first round draft pick till your child graduates from HS, possibly college and they did win a SB.

now I'am not advocating that approach, but they did get it right, if only for a season. :)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jun 2022 11:58
NCF wrote:
Realist wrote:

just the word stacking got me excited, I've been stack less to long :lol:

I hope Gary has his best season and doubles his sack count and continues with his high pressure totals, even though his contract demands will go through the roof, money aint coming out of my wallet either.
Pass rushers are tougher because they are very, very expensive and it is a position that sees production from younger players too.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Gary. If we're looking at $30 million per year or more....

The math does start to get harder. Yet again, if he produces consistent pressure, especially in the postseason, he would be worth it like Donald was for the Rams this past year.

It's tough for sure.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jun 2022 12:40
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

I hope Gary has his best season and doubles his sack count and continues with his high pressure totals, even though his contract demands will go through the roof, money aint coming out of my wallet either.
Pass rushers are tougher because they are very, very expensive and it is a position that sees production from younger players too.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Gary. If we're looking at $30 million per year or more....

The math does start to get harder. Yet again, if he produces consistent pressure, especially in the postseason, he would be worth it like Donald was for the Rams this past year.

It's tough for sure.

Everything depends on Rodgers. I have zero trust in him. Hope I am wrong but extending everybody is a losing proposition.We have seen it year after year after year. The good news is that the Diva has gotten alot of players paid. Maybe Big Bob gets a crazy extension this year? Lock him up. Bak loves Aaron for sure and owes him some cabbage.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Realist wrote:
24 Jun 2022 13:39
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

It's tough for sure.

Everything depends on Rodgers. I have zero trust in him. Hope I am wrong but extending everybody is a losing proposition.We have seen it year after year after year. The good news is that the Diva has gotten alot of players paid. Maybe Big Bob gets a crazy extension this year? Lock him up. Bak loves Aaron for sure and owes him some cabbage.
Sober up and think again. Happy Midsummer! :beer2:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Realist wrote:
Hope I am wrong but extending everybody is a losing proposition.
Don't Adams and MVS factor heavily into what you are saying?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Realist wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

It's tough for sure.

NO, you can trust Rodgers to be what he's always been, conservative and mistake adverse, to the point of anguish for many.

we saw what happens when he deviates from that plan when constantly throwing into double covered Adams in last years PO loss, it's my impression that he didn't trust his other receivers as much after Lewis fumbled for the 2nd time in his career, and Jones took himself out of position for a clean catch and scoot for a TD prior, some call it tunnel vision, and there some truth to that, but it also had to do with lack of time to fully scan the route tree do to the porous pass pro OL, Rodgers never new where the pressure would come first.

we'll keep extending the best till we can't any more, or at least till Rodgers is gone, if there is any one thing I like about Gute is that he seems all in, has a sense of urgency, I don't like how he's built some of this roster, his lack of resources donated to the WR position till this draft infuriates me, the dependence on Rodgers and Adams, and the 2 RB's and thats about it doesn't make sense to me at all.

Diva :rotf: please name non Diva nfl football players? there all Diva's, they all make more money then there IQ should allow, Rodgers persona these last few years seems complicated, but he's hinted plenty that he was not happy with the direction of the team, and without saying so was not happy with McCarthy's offense, made comments that we needed to run more , we needed better balance, more deception, and he finally got that and look at the difference in the last 3 years, Rodgers has been at his best , even with one #1 WR and a bunch of #3's and the RB's he's been MVP twice, so I don't know whats not to trust, except if he ups and retires prior to the season, which doesn't seem likely.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

NCF wrote:
24 Jun 2022 14:42
Realist wrote:
If u beleive the media the Packers actually offered Adams more money than the Raiders and he saved Gute from himself. MvS doesn't exist in this convo.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Realist wrote:
24 Jun 2022 16:19
NCF wrote:
Realist wrote:
If u beleive the media the Packers actually offered Adams more money than the Raiders and he saved Gute from himself. MvS doesn't exist in this convo.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jun 2022 17:17
Realist wrote:
24 Jun 2022 16:19
NCF wrote:

To get to another sb in my lifetime. Not even asking to win it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Looks like the USFL will make it to the end of their first season, with the Birmingham Stallions facing the Philadelphia Stars in the final on July 3rd.

Has anyone paid any attention to it? My main interest is: are there any players worth signing for at least a camp try out? I'm guessing some ST guys could get a look...

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Jun 2022 12:52
Looks like the USFL will make it to the end of their first season, with the Birmingham Stallions facing the Philadelphia Stars in the final on July 3rd.

Has anyone paid any attention to it? My main interest is: are there any players worth signing for at least a camp try out? I'm guessing some ST guys could get a look...
It's a tough watch for me. I gave it ten minutes yesterday and Victor Boldin Jr stood out. He returned a KO for a td but the tackling effort was non extistion.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Realist wrote:
26 Jun 2022 15:46
salmar80 wrote:
26 Jun 2022 12:52

It's a tough watch for me. I gave it ten minutes yesterday and Victor Boldin Jr stood out. He returned a KO for a td but the tackling effort was non extistion.
No intensity at all. It is like watching a 1990s Pro Bowl where the players kind of care but mostly are just trying to not get hurt.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

FWIW (to Yoop mostly), I have a hard time calling Rodgers "risk averse" when he's throwing 35-45 TDs per year. I hear what you are saying. I just wish there was a better way to state that. Maybe "highly efficient" or something like that.

Now if you want to say that he doesn't throw enough TDs in the playoffs, then we can discuss that term further. But I'll take any QB who throws that many TDs while hardly throwing any INTs all year long, every day of the week.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Jun 2022 04:53
FWIW (to Yoop mostly), I have a hard time calling Rodgers "risk averse" when he's throwing 35-45 TDs per year. I hear what you are saying. I just wish there was a better way to state that. Maybe "highly efficient" or something like that.

Now if you want to say that he doesn't throw enough TDs in the playoffs, then we can discuss that term further. But I'll take any QB who throws that many TDs while hardly throwing any INTs all year long, every day of the week.
ya maybe that isn't the best description, but imo it describes McCarthy's schemes he played under for most of his career, and Mike was considered conservative, and his route tree reflected that, mostly designed to spread the field which results in mostly single coverage, which amounts to less risky throws, lol, is that better?

but your right, even then Rodgers was a master at fitting the ball between two defenders into the hands of Nelson, Jones, Cobb etc. his accuracy rivals any QB I've seen.

I think sometimes fans like us just don't really appreciate the increased amperage PO games exude, almost ever facet of teams seems better, maybe we don't notice as much because if ya take away our offense many seasons we had no right to be there, our defense and ST's where huge liability's our offense had to over come, and are the major reasons we lost those games, so when I hear stuff like "if only Rodgers played better" it doesn't register to well for me, it's like blaming a pizza maker when all he had to make it was dough and sauce, wheres the meat :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jun 2022 11:59
NCF wrote:
Realist wrote:

Our strategy of trying to draft good players, then trying to resign those good players, hasn't resulted in recent Super Bowls. We should probably try to do something different.
The strategy is sound but executed poorly.

It was the same thing under TT. He and Gute will land some absolute stars. Best at the position type players. The problem is that the rest of the class will be so atrocious it makes the roster unsustainable. When TT was at his peak he was not only nailing his 1st round picks, but he was getting steals in the 2nd, and then finding even greater steals in the 4th and 5th rounds. His problem was his inability to recognize the value of mercenary free agents after the CBA signed in 2011. Shouldn’t be a surprise shortly after that was when we began to struggle maintaining our roster.

Gutey issue is he has had two absolute stinkers of a draft in 2018 and 2020. Even in 2019 it’s starting to look like we are only coming away with just Gary and Jenkins in that one. I’m not extending Savage after what I saw last season in year 3. Comparatively the 2021 was much better and I have a lot of faith in this 22 class. But for Guteys sake he needs to come away with more than just 2 players worth retaining.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Gutey and TT are not comparable.

Gutey has a much higher hit rate in the 1st two rounds of the draft and much lower hit rate on Day 3. Gute also supplements his drafts with FA signings really, really well. He doesn't rely on UDFAs to fill holes. He signs veterans to do it.

Gutey is very, very different from TT. Yes we are still a D&D team at our core. But nothing like the TT D&D teams.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jun 2022 18:13

Gutey has a much higher hit rate in the 1st two rounds of the draft and much lower hit rate on Day 3. Gute also supplements his drafts with FA signings really, really well. He doesn't rely on UDFAs to fill holes. He signs veterans to do it.

Gutey is very, very different from TT. Yes we are still a D&D team at our core. But nothing like the TT D&D teams.
In terms of building a sustainable roster they’re the same. Neither one hits well enough in the draft to win the only difference is Gutey does better in FA but that’s because he does so much worse in the draft.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Jun 2022 19:01
go pak go wrote:
27 Jun 2022 18:13

Neither one hits well enough in the draft to win.
I mean is there a GM in the league other than Bellicheck who can say otherwise?
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Savage, in the conversation for ROTY, year two, 5 picks, about 14 PDs and 80 tackles, 3rd year, new scheme, tasked with staying deep center, production declines, so does he suck? sure didn't appear that way first two seasons, if the price is right we'd be fools to let him walk, and I expect Barry will make adjustment to get him more involved with the defense as he was under Pettine.