Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2022 08:23
go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2022 07:06
Labrev wrote:
24 Apr 2022 21:56
Brett Kollman did an OL video that made me pretty okay with taking Johnson, could be a nice piece inside while Jenkins moves over to RT. At 28, would not mind the pick.

But man, if I didn't have a serious man-crush on Kenyon Green before watching it, I definitely do now. He's pretty much like "put him at G, point him at the opposing defense and tell him, 'go kill some people' -!"

I want that on our OL. I want it something fierce.
As far as immediate impact, I think a mauler and dominant Olineman (guard) will bring more dividends to the 2022 Green Bay Packers than a 1st Round WR will.
Jenkins was a freak in the 2nd round, all rookie team, probably one of the best G/T's the team has ever drafted, this is not the normal, there are several quality G prospects in this class, imo it's debatable that they will have the rookie season of Elkton.
So you start by giving guards a qualifier noting that Elgton Jenkins was a freak and an outlier...not normal.

But then immediately follow that up with Justin Jefferson to justify the WR position. One who is also known as a freak, not normal, had a comparable first 2 years as Randy Moss in MN (Randy largely regarded as the best rookie WR to enter the game), etc.

....okay yoop. :lol: :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, it is truly bananas to me how often people say "WRs these days can come right in and make an impact like Chase and Jefferson" ignoring that literally 5 WRs are drafted in the first every year and there are 2-3 examples that get relied on as proof (CeeDee Lamb being the sometimes third).

It remains an outlier for a rookie WR to be truly impactful as a starter (rather than "good year for a rookie" impactful)

That said I am out out out on Green. A first round iOL with subpar athleticism? Absolutely not. You want a mauler at guard? Take Cole Strange in the 3rd. You don't spend first round picks on subpar athletes at non-premium positions. That is madness.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2022 11:37
Yeah, it is truly bananas to me how often people say "WRs these days can come right in and make an impact like Chase and Jefferson" ignoring that literally 5 WRs are drafted in the first every year and there are 2-3 examples that get relied on as proof (CeeDee Lamb being the sometimes third).

It remains an outlier for a rookie WR to be truly impactful as a starter (rather than "good year for a rookie" impactful)

That said I am out out out on Green. A first round iOL with subpar athleticism? Absolutely not. You want a mauler at guard? Take Cole Strange in the 3rd. You don't spend first round picks on subpar athletes at non-premium positions. That is madness.
Yeah.

Zion Johnson I would be excited about at 28. But a no on Green for me.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

There have been 77 wide receivers taken in the first round of the draft this century. The most taken in any year was seven in 2004. Six times there have been six or more wide receivers taken in the first round, but over the past decade, the number of first-round wideouts has been consistently lower than six.

So now we get into the discussion of what makes a first-round pick at WR a successful pick?

If you use first-team All Pro selections, then only nine of the 77 first-round picks have qualified and only eight of those were as wide receivers (Corderelle Patterson made first team All Pro as a punt/kickoff returner).

If you use first team Pro Bowl selections, then 21 of these first-round wide receivers have done that. Here’s the full table with current career stats for those who are still playing:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/4/2 ... eivers-thi

thats 30 of the 77 taken in round one that made the PB or better or about 40%, 19 where busts that leaves 28 that had at least some sort of production, I never said whomever we chose in the first had to become chase or Jefferson.

but the Vikings used Jefferson about the same as we would have, the Vikes used the wide zone PA offense that we do, just look at the success Tae had out of the slot, same with JJ, anyone that tells me we shouldn't expect those type of results from Olave, Williams, or Wilson is blowing smoke screens, they are prototypical slotsters.

the schemes are what separates the successful guys like Jefferson from others
Last edited by Yoop on 25 Apr 2022 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
You want a mauler at guard? Take Cole Strange in the 3rd.
I don't want "a mauler at guard." That's what you and go pak go want. *I* want THEE Mauler at Guard. We are not the same.

So yeah, I don't want Cole Strange in the 3rd or Ethan Cabbage in the 5th or whoever else. You do. *I* want The Dude in Round 1.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
25 Apr 2022 12:55
YoHoChecko wrote:
You want a mauler at guard? Take Cole Strange in the 3rd.
I don't want "a mauler at guard." That's what you and go pak go want. *I* want THEE Mauler at Guard. We are not the same.

So yeah, I don't want Cole Strange in the 3rd or Ethan Cabbage in the 5th or whoever else. You do. *I* want The Dude in Round 1.
I think THEE guy is Tyler Smith in this draft. I'd be happy with him at 28, I think he belongs in the first and probably doesn't last till then.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
25 Apr 2022 13:00
I think THEE guy is Tyler Smith in this draft. I'd be happy with him at 28, I think he belongs in the first and probably doesn't last till then.

*snip*
Yeah he's interesting for sure, a little scary though. Andy Herman's video says he needs to rework his technique from the ground up.

You love to see aggression out of an OL, but there comes a point where you have to rein it in and keep the technique under control. I'm glad we brought him in for a visit because that's a guy you need to assess on a personal level.

as the wise msmre once said, OL should be assassins, not rabid dogs.
—Magneto

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

I think I would be comfortable with Olave at 22 if he is still there. 3 sport athlete in high school and didn't play wr ever until his junior year. Just listened to an interview with him on Rome and enjoyed what he had to say. He may go b4 22 me thinks though with all the wr buzz.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
25 Apr 2022 13:16
Yeah he's interesting for sure, a little scary though. Andy Herman's video says he needs to rework his technique from the ground up.

You love to see aggression out of an OL, but there comes a point where you have to rein it in and keep the technique under control. I'm glad we brought him in for a visit because that's a guy you need to assess on a personal level.

Wait, but aren't you yearning for the leaner with 7 penalties this year?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2022 13:47
Labrev wrote:

Wait, but aren't you yearning for the leaner with 7 penalties this year?
Penalties are just the tip of the iceberg with over-aggressive play, and less of a concern to me with Smith as him just flat-out being a liability in pass pro (or even in the run for that matter if savvy defenders can exploit his sloppy play). And not a concern to me with Green.

If the play is otherwise clean, I can accept penalties from time to time if the aggression is within an acceptable range -- small price to pay for taking the other team's will to fight away and running/passing all over them. :mrgreen:
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
Now there is a call back that I have not heard in a really long time.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 17:27
why would the league shut that down
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Can't trade a tagged player for another player.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

So how do people feel if we give up a 2nd and give a soon to be 30 year old TE(a damn good one), over $14M/year?
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 17:39
So how do people feel if we give up a 2nd and give a soon to be 30 year old TE(a damn good one), over $14M/year?
Not as good as before I realized he was that old. The Baltimore/Hendrickson connection does make me wonder, though.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Waller for a 2 when you only have Rodgers for few more years and the only satisfactory result is a Súper bowl is a no brainer

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I would pass on Waller.

A 2nd and the money is too rich. We don't have much money so I would like to keep it.

I just think the value we get of Bobert Tonyan on the cheap and potential resign is better value for us.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2022 18:29
I would pass on Waller.

A 2nd and the money is too rich. We don't have much money so I would like to keep it.

I just think the value we get of Bobert Tonyan on the cheap and potential resign is better value for us.
Robert Tonyan had 200 yards receiving last year through 8 games, pre knee injury.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Big NO on that trade. Don't give Rodgers good receivers, take them away from him.
—Magneto