Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Mar 2023 20:15
Cdragon wrote:
06 Mar 2023 20:02
Drj820 wrote:
06 Mar 2023 16:07

You are exactly right, great point.
There should be no fear. You get a total pass when you move on from Rodgers. You're eating the dead cap, you've got a starting QB who most people would expect to struggle a bit. And you don't have an owner, so you've got at least two years to make a run before the brass even thinks about moving on.
The fear is that you may never get back to what you are kicking out the door
It's not like he is going to play forever. Make the deal or lose the asset to age anyway. Grab the picks and build a team that can compete with an average QB and hope Love plays better than that. Screw fear, make the call you think is best for the team and live or die with it.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
06 Mar 2023 20:30
Drj820 wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
06 Mar 2023 20:02

There should be no fear. You get a total pass when you move on from Rodgers. You're eating the dead cap, you've got a starting QB who most people would expect to struggle a bit. And you don't have an owner, so you've got at least two years to make a run before the brass even thinks about moving on.
It's not like he is going to play forever. Make the deal or lose the asset to age anyway. Grab the picks and build a team that can compete with an average QB and hope Love plays better than that. Screw fear, make the call you think is best for the team and live or die with it.
The problem is you get one year to win with cheap QB pay. After that it sky rockets and god forbid you end up in QB purgatory and have Daniel Jones problems.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Mar 2023 20:52
The problem is you get one year to win with cheap QB pay. After that it sky rockets and god forbid you end up in QB purgatory and have Daniel Jones problems.
The number of players who won a Super Bowl on their rookie deals since the 2011 CBA changed the draft salary rules and this allegedly became an advantage is....

Pat Mahomes (who has now also won not on a rookie contract) and Russell Wilson

I think the goal is to draft great QBs and extend them in a way that gives you some below-market cap years, not to maximize their 3-4 rookie contract years

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Mar 2023 21:41
lupedafiasco wrote:
The number of players who won a Super Bowl on their rookie deals since the 2011 CBA changed the draft salary rules and this allegedly became an advantage is....

Pat Mahomes (who has now also won not on a rookie contract) and Russell Wilson

I think the goal is to draft great QBs and extend them in a way that gives you some below-market cap years, not to maximize their 3-4 rookie contract years
Plus Mahomes just blew the 13.4% for 1 player rule out of the water.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Acrobat wrote:
06 Mar 2023 23:12
Would be massive if true. Means packers gave permission and no going back from that.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Well whose fault is that? Remember that Denver offered TWO first round draft picks for Rodgers and the Packers would not have that ridiculous contract to deal with now. Had the Packers taken Denver up on their offer, Love would have 2 years of experience and be entering his prime and the Packers would have the cap room to easily exercise Love's 5th year option so they still would have 2 more seasons with cheap QB pay.

I am not an expert on how the Packers can trade Rodgers and find 20 mil for Love's 5th year option now, but it might still be possible.

Of course the Packers would not have won the Super Bowl the last 2 years with Rodgers... Oh wait...

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Mar 2023 04:39
lupedafiasco wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

Well whose fault is that? Remember that Denver offered TWO first round draft picks for Rodgers and the Packers would not have that ridiculous contract to deal with now. Had the Packers taken Denver up on their offer, Love would have 2 years of experience and be entering his prime and the Packers would have the cap room to easily exercise Love's 5th year option so they still would have 2 more seasons with cheap QB pay.

I am not an expert on how the Packers can trade Rodgers and find 20 mil for Love's 5th year option now, but it might still be possible.

Of course the Packers would not have won the Super Bowl the last 2 years with Rodgers... Oh wait...
No doubt it’s Gutenbumst fault. He has no plan. He drafts Love to be the future, then signs Rodgers to a deal that’s kind of tough to get out of, and just a year later wants to trade him and going back to Love for the future.

You can say the same thing for RB and WR. He drafts Dillon and then resigns Jones. He doesn’t draft any WRs and trades Adams.

This guy has no long term plan in a position you need to have a long term plan. The guys a buffoon.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:

I am not sure why this still comes up, but they don't need to give the $20 million for Love now. They pick up the option this year and it hits the books in 2024.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I'll be pissed if any deal with the Jets doesn't include Quinnen Williams.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 06:58
TheSkeptic wrote:

I am not sure why this still comes up, but they don't need to give the $20 million for Love now. They pick up the option this year and it hits the books in 2024.
He’s been told this in quotes posts probably close to 5 times now? Not sure if he’s trolling, willfully being ignorant, not sure how to check notifications, or doesn’t read any of our posts? But it’s getting kind of weird at this point.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 06:51

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lol. I’m so tired of having to roster 3-4 washed crappy players a year just to placate the hippy.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

packman114 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 07:11
I'll be pissed if any deal with the Jets doesn't include Quinnen Williams.
Then get used to disappointment. Quinnen Williams is a building block. No team moves their building blocks.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I was feeling skeptical that we could still get a 1st for Rodgers, but now that Carr has signed with the Saints I like our chances again. It's now Rodgers or Bust for the Jets. I think they will definitely offer us theirs (and make other teams have to beat that offer).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If true, is actually incredibly significant.

Means the packers gave Aaron and other teams and permission to discuss trades.

Not something you do if you are bringing him back.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

But seriously though.

Where we gonna find the $20 million to 5th year option Love?

But even more seriously, the Jets ain't trading players and we shouldn't want players. We want draft picks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
07 Mar 2023 07:54
This goes back to what I said before, and as impatient as I am it makes so much sense.

Rodgers needs to know his options in order to decide his future. He’s now having conversations about those options, which I’m sure Gutey and staff scoped out and cultivated at the combine

We’ve got like five days maximum. We can do this
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 07 Mar 2023 08:22, edited 1 time in total.