Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

musclestang wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:25
Acrobat wrote:
27 Nov 2023 07:49
dsr, to your point, I had mentioned this to a buddy before the season started that following Rodgers is actually MORE difficult than following Favre, not only because Rodgers had a TD/INT ratio that was out of this world compared to history, but now we've had 30 years of HOF QB's, which would make the come down from that even steeper.
I'm not going to argue that the come down could be steeper, but I don't think it's been more difficult. The overall feel thru all of this to me, has been much different than when Rodgers took over. Generally speaking there was a lot of animosity by half the fan base towards Rodgers when he replaced Favre and Favre un-retired. I think there were even protests so to speak at training camp. Lots of hate towards the new guy.

When Love was taking over I got a sense that even with most of the most loyal Rodgers fans, they knew it was time for things to happen. Might not like it, but can accept it, and it makes sense. Sure Rodgers had set an almost unattainable bar for performance for whoever would follow, but overall I think the situation was much more calm and to me, less stressful for Love to step in.

If I were the new guy, I'd take this transition vs the prior one.
Yup. I was at camp in 2008. Saying it was ugly is an understatement.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:33
musclestang wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
27 Nov 2023 07:49
dsr, to your point, I had mentioned this to a buddy before the season started that following Rodgers is actually MORE difficult than following Favre, not only because Rodgers had a TD/INT ratio that was out of this world compared to history, but now we've had 30 years of HOF QB's, which would make the come down from that even steeper.
I'm not going to argue that the come down could be steeper, but I don't think it's been more difficult. The overall feel thru all of this to me, has been much different than when Rodgers took over. Generally speaking there was a lot of animosity by half the fan base towards Rodgers when he replaced Favre and Favre un-retired. I think there were even protests so to speak at training camp. Lots of hate towards the new guy.

When Love was taking over I got a sense that even with most of the most loyal Rodgers fans, they knew it was time for things to happen. Might not like it, but can accept it, and it makes sense. Sure Rodgers had set an almost unattainable bar for performance for whoever would follow, but overall I think the situation was much more calm and to me, less stressful for Love to step in.

far worse in 08, a few here though wanted to retain Favre for another season, mostly because just as with Rodgers, he gave us the best chance to win that season, again like Rodgers, one last bite of the apple is more attractive, then tossing it and grabbing a un ripe one. I think that is more normal, more so then grabbing that green apple, 3 years later we won a SB, hope thats the case this time

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:46
go pak go wrote:
musclestang wrote:

far worse in 08, a few here though wanted to retain Favre for another season, mostly because just as with Rodgers, he gave us the best chance to win that season, again like Rodgers, one last bite of the apple is more attractive, then tossing it and grabbing a un ripe one. I think that is more normal, more so then grabbing that green apple, 3 years later we won a SB, hope thats the case this time
People don't like unknowns. People are also emotional.

Combine them and you usually see irrational angst about the future.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Neither Favre nor Rodgers gave us the best chance to win when we got rid of them.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:23
Neither Favre nor Rodgers gave us the best chance to win when we got rid of them.
according to who, you? let me right that down in granite

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

According to who/what did they give us the best chance?
Last edited by Labrev on 27 Nov 2023 12:56, edited 2 times in total.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:51
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:46
go pak go wrote:

People don't like unknowns. People are also emotional.

Combine them and you usually see irrational angst about the future.
oh please, spare me your 30 yr old logic :rotf: , Favre had years left of top nfl QBing, so did Rodgers minus this injury, the main reason to move on was neither Rodgers or Love would have been happy sitting another year, and both did a lot of he hawing there last off season.

JJ, me and others where willing to keep Favre, same way myself and several others where fine keeping Rodgers

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:33
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:30
Labrev wrote:
according to who, you? let me right that down in granite
According to who/what did they give us the best chance?
why do you think they didn't? right off the top of my head experience is number one, chemistry with receivers, recognizing defenses, and ability to adjust plays, blocking schemes just to name a few

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:36
oh please, spare me your 30 yr old logic :rotf: , Favre had years left of top nfl QBing, so did Rodgers minus this injury, the main reason to move on was neither Rodgers or Love would have been happy sitting another year, and both did a lot of he hawing there last off season.

JJ, me and others where willing to keep Favre, same way myself and several others where fine keeping Rodgers
So, according to opinion.

Those 2008 opinions would seem to have been debunked. Rodgers had 4k yards, 32 TDs, 12 INTs; Favre had less than 3.5k, 22 TDs, 22 INTs (lol).

As for this year, Rodgers proved unreliable at keeping himself upright. 'Hard to give your team the best chance to win from the trainer's room.

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:44
why do you think they didn't? right off the top of my head experience is number one, chemistry with receivers, recognizing defenses, and ability to adjust plays, blocking schemes just to name a few
Age was rapidly catching up with them, and had caught up enough by that point that young QB with less experience but better physical talent and roughly similar performance would be about the same or better. Or in Favre's case, somebody who cut down the turnovers significantly.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
27 Nov 2023 13:16
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:36

So, according to opinion.

Those 2008 opinions would seem to have been debunked. Rodgers had 4k yards, 32 TDs, 12 INTs; Favre had less than 3.5k, 22 TDs, 22 INTs (lol).

As for this year, Rodgers proved unreliable at keeping himself upright. 'Hard to give your team the best chance to win from the trainer's room.

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:44
Age was rapidly catching up with them, and had caught up enough by that point that young QB with less experience but better physical talent and roughly similar performance would be about the same or better. Or in Favre's case, somebody who cut down the turnovers significantly.
Farve with Minny showed he still had what it takes to win, unfortunately he still couldn't resist making game bad decisions, Rodgers as well, still the positives I just mentioned gave them more advantage. jmo, your welcome to any opinion you have

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Labrev wrote:
It doesn’t hurt that Rodgers was worth a #1 and a #2 pick.

Could have been more if Gutey would have traded him the year before.
Love is the answer…

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Foosball wrote:
27 Nov 2023 20:07
Labrev wrote: ↑27 Nov 2023 12:23
This is fairly arguagble. If my memory serves Favre was still easily better IMO for the next two years than Rodgers. Favre fell off 2010 and Rodgers kicked ass. I am not holding flukey injuries into account. Love could tear his ACL (god forbid) in practice this week. I would take a motivated healthy Rodgers in a heartbeat over Love to win a game right now with out moments notice.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's such a weird thing to come to a place where fellow fans share their thoughts and opinions about the team and players and then someone makes a statement--such as "neither Favre nor Rodgers gave us the best chance to win" and the response is "says who?"

Says the person who posted his opinion on the opinion board.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

MY_TAKE wrote:
27 Nov 2023 20:23
Foosball wrote:
27 Nov 2023 20:07
Labrev wrote: ↑27 Nov 2023 12:23
This is fairly arguagble. If my memory serves Favre was still easily better IMO for the next two years than Rodgers. Favre fell off 2010 and Rodgers kicked ass. I am not holding flukey injuries into account. Love could tear his ACL (god forbid) in practice this week. I would take a motivated healthy Rodgers in a heartbeat over Love to win a game right now with out moments notice.
Favre almost got them to the SB in 2009, if not for, well, Favre doing Favre things.

But idk, I am still taking Rodgers in a win-now game in 2008/2009. Or 2007 for that matter. Had we played him instead of Favre, I bet we beat NYG (but then lose to NE).

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

texas wrote:
28 Nov 2023 00:08
Favre almost got them to the SB in 2009, if not for, well, Favre doing Favre things
Yup. Favre had a great year that year with the hated Vikings and almost got them to the SB. He definitely kicked our ASSES much to my dismay that year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Nov 2023 22:31
It's such a weird thing to come to a place where fellow fans share their thoughts and opinions about the team and players and then someone makes a statement--such as "neither Favre nor Rodgers gave us the best chance to win" and the response is "says who?"

Says the person who posted his opinion on the opinion board.
this whole conversation is weird, never thought I'd hear fans hate on past QB's the way some Packer fans do, and mostly just to support the new QB, which the responder has done countless times

your right, a simple everyone has a opinion would have been better, which I said a couple post later
Last edited by Yoop on 28 Nov 2023 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

your right, a simple everyone has a opinion would have been better

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

The Packers pass rush overwhelmed one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and relentlessly pursued Jared Goff, who was stripped-sacked not once but twice in key moments. Green Bay totaled 33 pressures on Thursday compared to just 13 back in Week 4. The offensive line also had a much better performance, as the Packers had a much more successful day on the ground and kept game-wrecker Aidan Hutchinson in check for most of the day. Hopefully, this physical brand of football is a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... nksgiving/

not sure if this was posted, 33 pressures is fabulous, topped only by the 36 recorded against Chicago 1st game

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."