Rank the Roster 2022: #33

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the two next best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 21 Jul 2022 19:35

Tyler Davis
12%
Ty Summers
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
4%
Amari Rodgers
4%
Josiah Deguara
16%
Kylin Hill
24%
Dominique Dafney
4%
Sean Rhyan
28%
Romeo Doubs
8%
Zach Tom
No votes
Shemar Jean-Charles
No votes
Isaiah McDuffie
No votes
Juwann Winfree
No votes
Henry Black
No votes
Shawn Davis
No votes
Tariq Carpenter
No votes
Jonathan Ford
No votes
Cole Van Lanen
No votes

Total votes: 25

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2022: #33

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2022 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (62%)[--]
2. Kenny Clark (43%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (44%)[--]
4. David Bakhtiari (40%)[--]
5. Elgton Jenkins (29%)[+3]
6. Rashan Gary (51%)[+4]
7. DeVondre Campbell (51%)[+26]
8. Aaron Jones (53%)[-1]
9. Adrian Amos (40%)[--]
10. Eric Stokes (41%)[+10]
11. AJ Dillon (42%)[+5]
12. Preston Smith (52%)[+2]
13. Rasul Douglas (42%)[+29]
14. Darnell Savage (42%)[-1]
15. Alan Lazard (33%)[+5]
16. Josh Myers (20%)[+3]
17. Sammy Watkins (23%)[FA]
18. John Runyan (30%)[+6]
19. Quay Walker (25%)[R]
20. Devonte Wyatt (30%)[R]
21. Robert Tonyan (35%)[-9]
22. Christian Watson (37%)[R]
23. Dean Lowry (46%)[+3]
24. Randall Cobb (28%)[FA]
25. Royce Newman (28%)[+10]
26. Jarran Reed (29%)[FA]
27. Yosh Nijman (41%)[+15]
28. Marcedes Lewis (24%)[+1]
29. TJ Slaton (32%)[+10]
30. Jordan Love (38%)[-6]
31. Krys Barnes (27%)[-14]
32. Keisean Nixon (19%)[FA]
33. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2021 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Its been a while since a rookie went up. Of those remaining I like Enagbare's chances of seeing the field and making plays the best. Doubs might eek out some production too. But Enagbare appears to be the #3 OLB and will get rotational time.

Hill is my other guy here.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I hope our OL is healthy all year but when has that ever been true? I expect we will see Rhyan play at some point, and that he will impress.

I could go a number of ways here but Deguara is a guy who could make a big jump and outplay this spot. This is the first season he will be coming in mentally and physically ready.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Labrev wrote:
20 Jul 2022 20:31
I hope our OL is healthy all year but when has that ever been true? I expect we will see Rhyan play at some point, and that he will impress.

I could go a number of ways here but Deguara is a guy who could make a big jump and outplay this spot. This is the first season he will be coming in mentally and physically ready.
I also went with those two.

Deguara has a role as the FB/TE. When you need a blocker that can run... Needs a breakout year in pass-catching department to stick.

Rhyan or one of the other rookie OL are bound to see some action, and I guess I'll go with the draft order.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Doubbs and Rhyan again

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Doubs and Davis, the 2 most likely to get snaps NOT on ST and unless someone gets hurt.

Rhyan on deck since it is possible someone gets hurt before Jenkins and Bakh are both back.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Forgive me if I've missed it. But why is Rhyan getting love before Tom?

My vote is still Kylin Hill and Tyler Davis.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
21 Jul 2022 12:21

My vote is still Kylin Hill and Tyler Davis.
Folks like me are just guessing. Impossible to say anything meaningful about rookie OL before pads come on, so just going by draft position.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

paco wrote:
Tom is listed as just "OL" on the Packers' roster, and he's the only guy they've done that for. I don't think that's a great sign...makes it sound like he's a tweener.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
21 Jul 2022 12:44
paco wrote:
Tom is listed as just "OL" on the Packers' roster, and he's the only guy they've done that for. I don't think that's a great sign...makes it sound like he's a tweener.
Ah, ok. I hadn't looked at depth charts yet. They may see him as a swing guy to start with. Will be interesting to see where people line up in camp. I'm sure it'll shuffle for a while as they try out different combos.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
paco wrote:
Not only that, I think most think that Tom just needs a year physically to be ready to play. The long-term prospects are there, but this was never a pick for 2022. Rhyan is definitely more of a full-grown man and you could easily pencil him in at RG if you are not a believer in Newman.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Rhyan and Hill

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
21 Jul 2022 13:11
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
paco wrote:
Not only that, I think most think that Tom just needs a year physically to be ready to play. The long-term prospects are there, but this was never a pick for 2022. Rhyan is definitely more of a full-grown man and you could easily pencil him in at RG if you are not a believer in Newman.
Newman could easily wind up at RT before Jenkins returns. If Bakh still isn't 100% they will keep Nijman at LT. Or Rhyan could start at RT. I seriously doubt that Tom makes the 53, but a late round Olineman should be safe on the PS since they are basically useless on ST.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jul 2022 05:13
I seriously doubt that Tom makes the 53
I would consider him a mid-round pick and even if he projects to be fairly useless this year, I all but guarantee he makes the 53-man roster.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
I seriously doubt that Tom makes the 53,

Saying that after casting doubt about Bak and/or Jenkins beginning the year on the PUP.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

I can't seem to vote, maybe I need a few posts under my belt.

I would go with Hill and then Deguara. Not sure about hill after injury, but he looked like he belonged.

Deguara, you have to look at carefully. A TE is a close 2nd to the most difficult position for a young player to learn. You have to know all the routes like a WR and all the blocking of an OL. Both take time. And the way MLF runs his scheme, more is expected from a TE. He caught more passes than Tonyan in his first 2 years despite missing time due to injury. I thought he looked promising and flashed high potential. In college he holds the school record for receptions by a TE. Which is impressive considering Travis Kelce and Brent Celek both went there.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jul 2022 08:29
TheSkeptic wrote:
I seriously doubt that Tom makes the 53,

Saying that after casting doubt about Bak and/or Jenkins beginning the year on the PUP.
First of all, IMO there is less than a 1% possibility that Bakh starts on the PUP. I never said anything of the sort. I said he might not be 100% and that is likely but he will start even if he is only 90%. The point is that if he is only 90% the Packers might keep Nijman as the LT backup and not ask him to play 2 positions in the same game. If he is only 90% I can see the Packers giving him a break now and then, or even playing him only in the first half.

Secondly, if Jenkins is close, why PUP him and wait 4 or 5 weeks?

Thirdly why do you assume that the Packers will keep Tom and cut Hanson and Cole Van Lanen ( drafted last year late and was activated to the 53 late in the year)? Can Tom play center if Myers gets hurt - I think not, so why not put Tom on the PS rather than cut Hanson after they groomed him for 2 years? The Packers have 14 Olinemen on the roster, why do you think that they will keep a rookie when the consensus is that he needs a year of grooming?

Basically you can't keep everybody and you have to cut good players or potentially good players. IMO Tom is potential and there is little risk of cutting him. Have him start the season on the PS.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

When was the last time a 4th rounder didn’t make our roster?

I feel like the odds are so heavily stacked against it, like considerably less than 1% chance historically.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jul 2022 11:52

I feel like the odds are so heavily stacked against it, like considerably less than 1% chance historically.
Cory Rodgers in 2006 maybe?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jul 2022 11:52

Good point but when was the last time the Packers were this deep?
Locks:
Bakh
Jenkins
Myers
Runyan
Nijman
Newman
Rhyan

On the bubble
Hanson
Van Lanen
Tom

Long shots
Menet
Schneider
Moore
Jones
Walker

Assuming the Packers keep 9 and assuming that both Bakh and Jenkins are on the 53 to start the season, I keep experience and put the rookie on the PS. Of course if Jenkins starts on the PUP, probably the Packers keep all 3. Of course it is possible one of the long shots looks really good. Fyi, Jones is 6'9" and 370 pounds. Maybe if he dedicates himself and comes to camp at 350 he has a chance.