Favre and Rodgers as Packers After 16 Seasons

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Favre and Rodgers as Packers After 16 Seasons

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Seasons: Favre 16, Rodgers 16
First Team All-Pro: Favre 3, Rodgers 4
All-Pro: Favre 6, Rodgers 5
Touchdown Passes: Favre 442, Rodgers 449
MVPs: Favre 3, Rodgers 4
Interceptions: Favre 289, Rodgers 93
Passing Yardage: Favre 61,655, Rodgers 55,360
NFC Championships: Favre 2, Rodgers 1
Super Bowl Wins: Favre 1, Rodgers 1
Playoff Wins: Favre 12, Rodgers 11
Playoff Losses: Favre 10, Rodgers 10
Consecutive Games: Favre 253, Rodgers
:idn:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

4 only sat a little over a year, 12 sat 3 years. But still surprised how many lean toward 4.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah. Definitely have to acknowledge that Favre has two seasons on Rodgers.

But I was very, very confident Rodgers would have a significantly better career than Favre.

Surprised to see the outcome.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Favre was epic. No surprise to me his numbers look like they do. Also gotta remember the state of the franchise before Favre came. He resurrected the body. Rodgers came in and took the keys to a luxury sports car.

Favre just threw picks, played loose, and took a lot of risk. He was so fun to watch. I don’t think 12 is clearly better than him at all.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 20:58
Favre was epic. No surprise to me his numbers look like they do. Also gotta remember the state of the franchise before Favre came. He resurrected the body. Rodgers came in and took the keys to a luxury sports car.

Favre just threw picks, played loose, and took a lot of risk. He was so fun to watch. I don’t think 12 is clearly better than him at all.
While I respect your opinion oh man do I think you are wrong that Brett and AR are on the same level. I really don't think it's close. Brett was was so fun to watch I agree he let it loose. He also did some of the biggest turd headed plays that cost way more then many want to remember or admit. The guy really was reason why we lost key games.

And Rodgers has also. Trust me his conservative play in key moments drives me nuts and I still haven't forgave him for the playoff game last year but. But.. the comparison really isn't that close for me. Look at game to game instead of season. Though the playoff heartache is equal and that really sucks Rogers is a surgeon compared to the fun gunslinger. Give AR those Brett defenses and he wins three hands down. Yes that can't be proven as much fun Brett was he's a tier or 2 down

There is almost 100 game difference between the two of them let's be real

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
24 Jul 2022 21:25
Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 20:58

While I respect your opinion oh man do I think you are wrong that Brett and AR are on the same level. I really don't think it's close. Brett was was so fun to watch I agree he let it loose. He also did some of the biggest turd headed plays that cost way more then many want to remember or admit. The guy really was reason why we lost key games.

And Rodgers has also. Trust me his conservative play in key moments drives me nuts and I still haven't forgave him for the playoff game last year but. But.. the comparison really isn't that close for me. Look at game to game instead of season. Though the playoff heartache is equal and that really sucks Rogers is a surgeon compared to the fun gunslinger. Give AR those Brett defenses and he wins three hands down. Yes that can't be proven as much fun Brett was he's a tier or 2 down

There is almost 100 game difference between the two of them let's be real
I agree, Rodgers may not have done enough to win several PO games, but he didn't out right lose them the way Favre did.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Favre is 2 - 2 in NFC Championship Games. And Brett can be blamed for the 2007 season NFCCG loss. But the loss to the Cowboys (1995 season) was pretty much a team effort loss.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Jul 2022 10:53
Favre is 2 - 2 in NFC Championship Games. And Brett can be blamed for the 2007 season NFCCG loss. But the loss to the Cowboys (1995 season) was pretty much a team effort loss.
And the loss in 2014 in Seattle was a total team effort too.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah. I think the only player I have seen that I think could be "higher" than Rodgers is Peyton Manning, but Rodgers is far more talented than Manning.

I think Rodgers and the Packers suffer more from "snake bitten" than anything. I can't think of franchise with more heartbreaking losses they had no business of losing.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jul 2022 10:59
Yeah. I think the only player I have seen that I think could be "higher" than Rodgers is Peyton Manning, but Rodgers is far more talented than Manning.

I think Rodgers and the Packers suffer more from "snake bitten" than anything. I can't think of franchise with more heartbreaking losses they had no business of losing.
Rodgers has done more with less then Favre, for most of Rodgers career he dealt with terrible ST's and only twice to my knowledge had a top 10 defense, often not even top 20, both had quality WR groups for only a limited portion of there careers, it had less affect on Favre because the rest of the team could pick up the slack.

bad luck imo is used to defend poor coaching and personal decisions, McCarthy had a one dimensional approach, spread vertical passing, run to keep a defense (honest)set up short to open up spread vertical routes deep.

Rodgers finally had to get vocal to get out from under McCarthy, and Ted ( Bless his soul) had some terrible defensive draft picks, to me thats the biggest difference.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:

At some point when you are snake bit and can’t overcome it, you gotta point the finger at leadership. Whether you want to blame HC or QB is a debate worth having, but I’m
Willing to give some scrutiny to the 50m per year man when everybody comes out tight every big playoff game

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think they are about even. Especially when you consider that Favre has "two extra seasons" in 93 and 94 over Rodgers until they actually started playing.

Favre enjoyed a good defense with White. But the defenses became far more hit and miss after Reggie left.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Also gotta remember Favre was slangin it in an era when that wasn’t really the most common way to play. I would Marino was also ahead of his time in terms of throwing long and often. But Favre too was doing it when the rules weren’t set up for it. Favre and Marino both would destroy the current era with the rules that tilt success toward offense.

Fave also probably would have played longer as he would be dealing with Less CTE most likely.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, in another two seasons when Rodgers PLAYS as many seasons as Favre did in green and gold, THEN we can compare apples to apples stat wise.

One thing is certain, we have been very, VERY fortunate as fans.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jul 2022 11:50
go pak go wrote:

At some point when you are snake bit and can’t overcome it, you gotta point the finger at leadership. Whether you want to blame HC or QB is a debate worth having, but I’m
Willing to give some scrutiny to the 50m per year man when everybody comes out tight every big playoff game
I think this forum knows full well where I stand on this topic. Roughly half the games we lost were due to poor defense. And the other half is due to the offense not doing enough. That's just the facts.

STs "cost" the team in the two best team seasons (2014 and 2021) but this comes on the heels of the offense not doing enough when the defense played elite level ball.

Offense Didn't Do Enough: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2021

Defense Didn't Do Enough: 2009, 2012

Both Didn't Do Enough: 2011, 2016, 2019, 2020
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the reason we are near 500 in PO games had very little to do with the QB's, and almost everything to do with the QB's :idn: :rotf:

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

IMO, Favre all the way. He has 3 times the heart of Rodgers. If Sterling Sharpe hadn’t had the career ending neck injury, Brett’s numbers would have been even better. Favre played when the defenses could actually hit and tackle. Would Favre make boneheaded plays? Absolutely. But he could throw 2 picks and still win the game.

Favre played with 4 different coaches and 3 GMS. Holmgren could keep him somewhat under control. If Holmgren would have stayed…well who knows. Rarely would Favre call out one of his players in front of millions of people. Brett was much more fun to watch and I believe he had more come from behind victories.

Favre took over a team that hadn’t won the SB in 30 years and brought home the Lombardi Trophy.

That being said I’ve really enjoyed watching Rodgers. He also brought home the Lombardi Trophy. Statistically he’ll go down as the greatest passer (QB Rating). So yes statistically Rodgers has made sure he doesn’t throw interceptions…sometimes early in his career to the detriment of the team.

But If I had to choose between them on who would start a championship game or SB, I’d take Favre over Rodgers.

Side note: Payton Manning played in a dome most of his career. Same with Brees. That brings them down a notch in my view.
Love is the answer…

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Foosball wrote:
25 Jul 2022 20:36
But If I had to choose between them on who would start a championship game or SB, I’d take Favre over Rodgers.
A wise choice .......... a very very wise choice (with Mike Holmgren as Head Coach of course).

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Packfntk wrote:
25 Jul 2022 11:56
Yeah, in another two seasons when Rodgers PLAYS as many seasons as Favre did in green and gold, THEN we can compare apples to apples stat wise.

One thing is certain, we have been very, VERY fortunate as fans.
I would say the rules changes should give 4 at least a 2 year head start.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Foosball wrote:
25 Jul 2022 20:36
IMO, Favre all the way. He has 3 times the heart of Rodgers. If Sterling Sharpe hadn’t had the career ending neck injury, Brett’s numbers would have been even better. Favre played when the defenses could actually hit and tackle. Would Favre make boneheaded plays? Absolutely. But he could throw 2 picks and still win the game.

Favre played with 4 different coaches and 3 GMS. Holmgren could keep him somewhat under control. If Holmgren would have stayed…well who knows. Rarely would Favre call out one of his players in front of millions of people. Brett was much more fun to watch and I believe he had more come from behind victories.

Favre took over a team that hadn’t won the SB in 30 years and brought home the Lombardi Trophy.

That being said I’ve really enjoyed watching Rodgers. He also brought home the Lombardi Trophy. Statistically he’ll go down as the greatest passer (QB Rating). So yes statistically Rodgers has made sure he doesn’t throw interceptions…sometimes early in his career to the detriment of the team.

Side note: Payton Manning played in a dome most of his career. Same with Brees. That brings them down a notch in my view.
:aok:

Rodgers would have retired 4 years ago if he got hit the way Favre got hit.