Name Your Surprise Cut

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Name Your Surprise Cut

Post by APB »

With training camp complete we're coming down to the nitty-gritty as far as roster cuts are concerned. Every year we see some players cut that raise some eyebrows. We've already seen a couple players go earlier than expected. Whose next? Time to call your surprise cut.

Ready, GO!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

My pick: Mason Crosby

Coming off a season where he completed just 73% of FG attempts AND is recovering from surgery, Mason's career comes to an end. Too many talented players under consideration for the Packers to hold onto two kickers. New ST coordinator Rich Bisaccia, with no ties to tenured players, starts his rebuild of the unit from scratch. Mason has had a fine career but in the immortal words of Kevin Greene...it is time.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I think, based on his locker room interview yesterday and self-assessment that he will be ready to kick in Week 1, I would be shocked. I think Mason is our kicker and this will be his final season.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Aaron Rodgers

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I don't know the level of surprise, but I think Jack Coco might not be our LS after Gute sees who else is available after cut downs.

I also think there is a chance one of Watkins/Cobb/Rodgers is gone. That would be the big surprise. I know QB1 and Gute have made comments reassuring the spots for these guys, but with the numbers game at WR, we can't really say, "Yeah, I like this guy, and that guy, and that guy, and that guy + the rookies." I would say Rodgers is the most likely, but I would still put him at like 75% odds of sticking.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
24 Aug 2022 08:30
I don't know the level of surprise, but I think Jack Coco might not be our LS after Gute sees who else is available after cut downs.

I also think there is a chance one of Watkins/Cobb/Rodgers is gone. That would be the big surprise. I know QB1 and Gute have made comments reassuring the spots for these guys, but with the numbers game at WR, we can't really say, "Yeah, I like this guy, and that guy, and that guy, and that guy + the rookies." I would say Rodgers is the most likely, but I would still put him at like 75% odds of sticking.
I see Watkins, possibly Lazard or Cobb as mid year trade options if the young ins step to the plate

Crosby's problems had more to do with supporting cast, but it's anyones guess

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I honestly got no one.

I just reviewed the 53 I made in the other thread and none of the guys I even hesitated on would be a "surprise," or at least not a shock.

I think a pair of DFA Joneses might be surprise roster additions (Kobe and/or Caleb), but I don't see many surprises going the other direction. I know... I'm no fun.

I will say again that there is absolutely no chance that Watkins gets cut. None.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Every year we all seem to gravitate toward the same final 53 roster predictions but there always seems to be that one cut that catches everyone by surprise. Josh Sitton. Mike Daniels. Going back a few years there was Nick Barnett. Going further back there was Lynn Dickey and Paul Coffman.

Nobody is gonna hold you to your prediction. Just curious to see who people here think could be this year's surprise roster cut.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
24 Aug 2022 10:28
Every year we all seem to gravitate toward the same final 53 roster predictions but there always seems to be that one cut that catches everyone by surprise. Josh Sitton. Mike Daniels. Going back a few years there was Nick Barnett. Going further back there was Lynn Dickey and Paul Coffman.

Nobody is gonna hold you to your prediction. Just curious to see who people here think could be this year's surprise roster cut.
I think it is actually fairly rare. Daniels was cut at the beginning of TC, but that was a major surprise. Barnett was released prior to training camp, as well, but that was not that surprising as word had got out that Ted was trying to trade him. The Josh Sitton one was the biggest during final cut downs that I can remember. I just don't think it happens that much.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Here is my second surprise cut: Dean Lowry

Don't get me wrong. I like Dean. A lot. He's the lunch pail type player you like having on your team.

But at what cost?

With an $8m cap hit, he's an expensive backup and that is likely the role he's going to assume now that Reed and Wyatt are on the roster. If the Packers are eyeing a larger role for TJ Slaton and also feel like Chris Slayton and/or Jack Heflin could fill the dwindling snaps now projected for Lowry, he could be gone.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
24 Aug 2022 10:33
APB wrote:
24 Aug 2022 10:28

I think it is actually fairly rare. Daniels was cut at the beginning of TC, but that was a major surprise. Barnett was released prior to training camp, as well, but that was not that surprising as word had got out that Ted was trying to trade him. The Josh Sitton one was the biggest during final cut downs that I can remember. I just don't think it happens that much.
The degree of "surprise" is subjective. I thought Devin Funchess was a surprise last year. Jake Kumerow and freshly drafted Jake Hanson the year before that. J'Mon Moore in 2019 was a minor surprise considering the Packers gave up on him so early after investing considerable draft capital on him just the year before. Aaron Ripkowski in 2018 caught many off guard considering McCarthy's crush on FBs.

None of these guys were shocker type cuts but I think many believed they'd make the cut. They didn't. Who will it be this year?

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

APB wrote:
24 Aug 2022 10:43

Don't get me wrong. I like Dean. A lot. He's the lunch pail type player you like having on your team.

But at what cost?

With an $8m cap hit, he's an expensive backup and that is likely the role he's going to assume now that Reed and Wyatt are on the roster. If the Packers are eyeing a larger role for TJ Slaton and also feel like Chris Slayton and/or Jack Heflin could fill the dwindling snaps now projected for Lowry, he could be gone.
I thought Lowry should have been cut yrs ago. Not worth the money he makes period. The Coco thing is concerning. If he can't do it then what? The fact that he is in the conversation is bad.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Realist wrote:
24 Aug 2022 11:30
APB wrote:

But at what cost?

I thought Lowry should have been cut yrs ago. Not worth the money he makes period. The Coco thing is concerning. If he can't do it then what? The fact that he is in the conversation is bad.
maybe traded, but we aint giving away a 5 sacker and 40 plus tackler, simply because we've brought in Reed and drafted Wyatt, do you think those stats are easily replaced?

imo Lowry has always been under appreciated, till last year struggled with pass rush, but has had 40 plus tackles almost every season, theres value in that as a rotational DT

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
24 Aug 2022 11:43
Realist wrote:
APB wrote:

But at what cost?

maybe traded, but we aint giving away a 5 sacker and 40 plus tackler, simply because we've brought in Reed and drafted Wyatt, do you think those stats are easily replaced?

imo Lowry has always been under appreciated, till last year struggled with pass rush, but has had 40 plus tackles almost every season, theres value in that as a rotational DT
You don’t think Reed, Wyatt, Slayton, Slaton, or Heflin are capable of making up those tackles and sacks?

Hell, there are only so many snaps to go around. I’d be surprised if Lowry himself produces those numbers again. And then it becomes a question of value. Are his diminished snaps and production worth $8m? That is a question the FO is gonna have to ask themselves.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Amari Rodgers - I don't know that he really deserves a spot, but I feel it would be out of character for Gute to cut him in the initial cutdown. That said, I could see Amari being cut or traded after a few games if he continues to have drops or mistakes.

Jon Garvin - I would be mildly surprised if he was cut in favor of the smaller Galeai and/or the raw Kobe Jones.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Barnes

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
24 Aug 2022 12:09
Yoop wrote:
24 Aug 2022 11:43
Realist wrote:

You don’t think Reed, Wyatt, Slayton, Slaton, or Heflin are capable of making up those tackles and sacks?

Hell, there are only so many snaps to go around. I’d be surprised if Lowry himself produces those numbers again. And then it becomes a question of value. Are his diminished snaps and production worth $8m? That is a question the FO is gonna have to ask themselves.
like us, teams are shifting around OL in these PS games, tends to make DLiners look better, Lowry imo is ahead of everyone except maybe Reed, I believe Wyatt should be a quick transition, but DT traditionally isn't, my point is it would be nice to get something for Lowry.

another point, we know how strenuous the job of DT is ( 34 scheme DE are actually DT's) so the goal is the fresher they are, the more productive they can be, with that in mind, here are the snap counts of out DT's last year' (average Defensive snap count per season 1000 give ot take a few)
Clark = 782
Lowry =674
Keke= 393
Lancaster= 319
Slaton- 255

Clark's numbers are to high, Lowry numbers are better, between Lancaster and Keke we already have to replace 700 plus snaps, which can be divided more easily among Reed, Wyatt, Slaton, Slayton, Heflin should they all make the team and hopefully lower Kenny's snaps by a 100 or so, obviously personal production counts, so obviously the best 4 will get the most snaps my thinking is that Lowry is one of those 4.
Last edited by Yoop on 25 Aug 2022 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Amari should be cut but I do5see Gute doing it. Therefore, if he does get cut then it would be a surprise cut. I could see Crosby cut at this point.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Tyler Goodson
Sammy Watkins (but this would be a predetermined team/player cut and Watkins returns quickly for roster management)

Honestly I don't see anyone else. I don't expect a significant surprise this year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kind of a tough one this year.

I was thinking Khrys Barnes before TC started, but he's looked good and Tariq Carpenter has not.

Amari might be my next shocker I could see?

Maybe a Daguara or a Jake Hanson.