Aaron Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Aaron Rodgers

Post by TheSkeptic »

NFL.com says:

Perhaps Rodgers will learn from his awkward early seasons with Brett Favre and truly embrace being a mentor for quarterback Jordan Love, the Utah State product who was taken No. 26 overall on Thursday night. But the Packers' decision to move up four spots to secure their QB of the future will inevitably lead to a lot of annoying questions for Rodgers over the next few years. Because of the guaranteed money in Rodgers' contract, it's hard to imagine the Packers moving on from him before 2022, when Rodgers will turn 39. That's a fair guess for when Love could take over, if he develops under Packers coach Matt LaFleur.

Love was a fascinating prospect to evaluate. Perhaps the most talented quarterback in this class, his arm and movement ability reminds me more of Patrick Mahomes than anyone since Patrick Mahomes. It's ideal that Love can sit on the bench for a few years to clean up his decision-making and mechanics, just like Rodgers once did in Green Bay. (Love was far less accurate and made worse decisions than Rodgers or Mahomes did in college.) It's now up to Rodgers to make like Favre and make the decision as difficult as possible.

Clutch Point says:

Aaron Rodgers is 36-years old and still playing at a high level. He is coming off a 4,000 yard season with 26 touchdowns and four interceptions. His touchdown numbers are low because of the Green Bay Packers lack of skill position weapons. Rodgers has made his feelings known about addressing this need in the draft and the Packers dropped the ball.

Green Bay drafted Jordan Love with the No. 26 pick in the NFL Draft. And they traded up to do it. So, not only did they not get Rodgers any weapons, they drafted his replacement. The Packers obviously did the same thing back in 2005 when they drafted Rodgers to sit behind Brett Favre. Love is an intriguing prospect, but he is no Rodgers.

But the Packers said something else entirely. Not only with the selection of Love but with the 2nd and 3rd round picks also. What they said was that it is useless to give Rodgers more weapons because he is either unwilling or unable to use them. Rodgers was either unwilling to do what he is told last season or his body has failed him and he is unable to throw the ball where he should throw it and is dependent on receivers getting wide open, not just open.

And so now the Packers are a run first team and play action YAC team only when necessary. Probably Rodgers remains the starting QB this season, but lets face it, Love can hand the ball off now. And Love can complete a 5 yard pass to a TE or a RB or Lazard now and let them pick up a few extra YAC.

One thing is certain. Should either Love or Boyle play light out in this coming pre season, Rodgers is tradeable. Any trade after July 1 results in a small cap savings. https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/can-the-p ... o-when-520. Getting a decent draft pick for Rodgers in the 2021 draft for an aging player you have no confidence in could look very attractive to Gute.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Green Bay drafted Jordan Love with the No. 26 pick in the NFL Draft. And they traded up to do it. So, not only did they not get Rodgers any weapons, they drafted his replacement. The Packers obviously did the same thing back in 2005 when they drafted Rodgers to sit behind Brett Favre. Love is an intriguing prospect, but he is no Rodgers.

Thompson took Greg Jennings in his first draft class, (did he forgot) this situation of drafting Love only comparison is that we drafted a guy to replace a long tenured QB, thats it, nothing else is the same.

I hope thats the plan, in fact do it sometime in July, trade Rodgers, that way he can go to a team that actually wants to win a SB, instead of replacing guys like Rodgers and Jones, Rodgers would have been much better off to have just played out the old contract and left, he wasted the last 4 years here with us.

Look at Bree's, Payton understands that his QB needs receivers to win, and the QB is the most important player on the field, something our front office has told Rodgers he isn't that guy, how idiotic, we should fire everyone from Murphy on down, guess these guys showed Rodgers who's the boss.

<snip>

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 06:56
Thompson took Greg Jennings in his first draft class, (did he forgot) this situation of drafting Love only comparison is that we drafted a guy to replace a long tenured QB, thats it, nothing else is the same.
Jennings was 2006. Rodgers was 2005.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
25 Apr 2020 07:10
Yoop wrote:
the point is Ted Drafted Jennings to help Favre, and Gute gave Rodgers the 3 stooges, thats it, this crap that gute is helping Rodgers by drafting a RB that Jones will keep on the bench, or this receiving TE/HB is going to walk on and do what most TE/HB's take a year or more to accomplish is a hope at best, all gute did was replace soon to be departing players, Rodgers I expect much sooner then people expect.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

As always, I'm late to the dance on this but Florio is falling into Skip Bayless/Colin Cowherd territory.

I'm as confused about the strategy of this draft as anyone but I just HATE when the media jumps on it in this fashion. Until Rodgers says with his own mouth he wants out of Green Bay I'll assume he doesn't. As much of an ass as Rodgers can be at times, I don't know of another professional athlete that has to deal with the crap that he does. Anyway...

The Packers and Aaron Rodgers seem to be on a collision course for a divorce
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2020, 10:31 AM EDT

In January, the Packers learned the hard way that a team with a great running game will beat a team with an all-time great quarterback in a single-elimination setting. So instead of using their first three picks to bolster the run defense or to give their all-time great quarterback more help in the passing game, Green Bay’s approach is, essentially, “If you can’t beat ’em, copy ’em.”

The commitment to bolstering the run game, evident in rounds two and three of the draft, has left Aaron Rodgers with no immediate assistance when it comes to either helping him do his job better or giving him a chance to do his job at all. When dealing with their brilliant, cerebral, and strategic Cal quarterback, the Packers surely are smart enough to know what they’re doing. But what they’re doing is, essentially, standing under a nest of hornets with a stick and repeatedly poking.

Tackle David Bakhtiari provided a warning as to what was coming after Thursday night’s selection of quarterback Jordan Love via the 30th overall pick and the fourth-round pick used to jump up a few spots.

“Let me tell y’all something right now: Look out!” Bakhtiari said during the NFL’s Draft-A-Thon live stream. “Aaron is about to be on fire.”

Bakhtiari explained that the anger would become motivation for Rodgers.

“He’s already great when he is just chill,” Bakhtiari said. “But when I’ve seen him when he gets riled up. . . . Woooo! Getting my hair raised up right now, thinking about this.”

That was before rounds two and three, when the Packers made a long-term investment not in passing the ball but running it. And with no fourth-round pick (thanks to the Love trade), the Packers are left with a fifth-rounder, three sixth-rounders, and two seventh-round selections. And, as a result, Rodgers may be even more upset after Friday night than he was after Thursday night.

Again, that’s possibly precisely what the Packers want. They knew how to get Brett Favre to retire in 2008 (i.e., ask him for a firm decision in February, when they knew he’d be inclined to walk away), and they know (or at least believe they know) how to get Rodgers to be the one to ask for a divorce.

So when will it all come to a head? Every team has a clear-cut starting quarterback and/or a rookie to groom for the job in 2020. But several teams certainly would consider tearing up their current plans if they could land Aaron Rodgers now. The Patriots, obviously. The Raiders, definitely. Washington, most likely. The Jets, Chargers, Dolphins, and Jaguars, possibly.

Other teams would be left to think about what may have been if they’d only known there was a chance to try to shake Rodgers free from the land of beef and cheese. The Colts surely would have preferred Rodgers to Philip Rivers. The 49ers, who considered signing Tom Brady and throwing Jimmy Garoppolo overboard, surely would have done more than consider Rodgers. The Buccaneers would have been better off with Rodgers over Brady. The Saints may have been a little more willing to nudge Drew Brees into a broadcast booth.

But a trade for Rodgers would not be easy to accomplish, from a cap standpoint. Trading Rodgers now would trigger a $45.9 million cap charge. However, waiting until after June 1 (which isn’t very far off, especially with no offseason program) would result in only $14.352 million hitting the cap in 2020. The remaining $31.548 million would land on the salary cap in 2021.

As the cap pushes past $200 million, that’s a lot of dead money to carry in 2021. If/when the cap shrinks next year due to the pandemic, that becomes an even bigger pill to swallow.

The more likely reality is that the Packers will try to hold it all together with Rodgers for another two seasons. Come 2022, the cap hit would be only $17.204 million. The bigger question is whether they’ll be able to keep Rodgers from agitating for a trade, privately or publicly, before the end of the 2021 season. If so, the Packers may learn that there are worse things than taking a major cap charge.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 07:34
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
the point is Ted Drafted Jennings to help Favre, and Gute gave Rodgers the 3 stooges, thats it, this crap that gute is helping Rodgers by drafting a RB that Jones will keep on the bench, or this receiving TE/HB is going to walk on and do what most TE/HB's take a year or more to accomplish is a hope at best, all gute did was replace soon to be departing players, Rodgers I expect much sooner then people expect.
I mean if you want to compare apples to apples then wouldn't you need to do what Gute does to help Rodgers "next year"?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

The media is looking for a story, when the Packers just made a sound business decision. They were not sending Rodgers a message, they were not trying to ruin his tenure here. People are idiotic. They were doing what they thought was the best thing for the organization. Sheesh.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lulu wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:56
As always, I'm late to the dance on this but Florio is falling into Skip Bayless/Colin Cowherd territory.

I'm as confused about the strategy of this draft as anyone but I just HATE when the media jumps on it in this fashion. Until Rodgers says with his own mouth he wants out of Green Bay I'll assume he doesn't. As much of an ass as Rodgers can be at times, I don't know of another professional athlete that has to deal with the crap that he does. Anyway...

The Packers and Aaron Rodgers seem to be on a collision course for a divorce
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2020, 10:31 AM EDT

In January, the Packers learned the hard way that a team with a great running game will beat a team with an all-time great quarterback in a single-elimination setting. So instead of using their first three picks to bolster the run defense or to give their all-time great quarterback more help in the passing game, Green Bay’s approach is, essentially, “If you can’t beat ’em, copy ’em.”

The commitment to bolstering the run game, evident in rounds two and three of the draft, has left Aaron Rodgers with no immediate assistance when it comes to either helping him do his job better or giving him a chance to do his job at all. When dealing with their brilliant, cerebral, and strategic Cal quarterback, the Packers surely are smart enough to know what they’re doing. But what they’re doing is, essentially, standing under a nest of hornets with a stick and repeatedly poking.

Tackle David Bakhtiari provided a warning as to what was coming after Thursday night’s selection of quarterback Jordan Love via the 30th overall pick and the fourth-round pick used to jump up a few spots.

“Let me tell y’all something right now: Look out!” Bakhtiari said during the NFL’s Draft-A-Thon live stream. “Aaron is about to be on fire.”

Bakhtiari explained that the anger would become motivation for Rodgers.

“He’s already great when he is just chill,” Bakhtiari said. “But when I’ve seen him when he gets riled up. . . . Woooo! Getting my hair raised up right now, thinking about this.”

That was before rounds two and three, when the Packers made a long-term investment not in passing the ball but running it. And with no fourth-round pick (thanks to the Love trade), the Packers are left with a fifth-rounder, three sixth-rounders, and two seventh-round selections. And, as a result, Rodgers may be even more upset after Friday night than he was after Thursday night.

Again, that’s possibly precisely what the Packers want. They knew how to get Brett Favre to retire in 2008 (i.e., ask him for a firm decision in February, when they knew he’d be inclined to walk away), and they know (or at least believe they know) how to get Rodgers to be the one to ask for a divorce.

So when will it all come to a head? Every team has a clear-cut starting quarterback and/or a rookie to groom for the job in 2020. But several teams certainly would consider tearing up their current plans if they could land Aaron Rodgers now. The Patriots, obviously. The Raiders, definitely. Washington, most likely. The Jets, Chargers, Dolphins, and Jaguars, possibly.

Other teams would be left to think about what may have been if they’d only known there was a chance to try to shake Rodgers free from the land of beef and cheese. The Colts surely would have preferred Rodgers to Philip Rivers. The 49ers, who considered signing Tom Brady and throwing Jimmy Garoppolo overboard, surely would have done more than consider Rodgers. The Buccaneers would have been better off with Rodgers over Brady. The Saints may have been a little more willing to nudge Drew Brees into a broadcast booth.

But a trade for Rodgers would not be easy to accomplish, from a cap standpoint. Trading Rodgers now would trigger a $45.9 million cap charge. However, waiting until after June 1 (which isn’t very far off, especially with no offseason program) would result in only $14.352 million hitting the cap in 2020. The remaining $31.548 million would land on the salary cap in 2021.

As the cap pushes past $200 million, that’s a lot of dead money to carry in 2021. If/when the cap shrinks next year due to the pandemic, that becomes an even bigger pill to swallow.

The more likely reality is that the Packers will try to hold it all together with Rodgers for another two seasons. Come 2022, the cap hit would be only $17.204 million. The bigger question is whether they’ll be able to keep Rodgers from agitating for a trade, privately or publicly, before the end of the 2021 season. If so, the Packers may learn that there are worse things than taking a major cap charge.
I suspect Florio is hoping the Packers and Rodgers are on a collision course for divorce.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:58
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

I mean if you want to compare apples to apples then wouldn't you need to do what Gute does to help Rodgers "next year"?
you mean the 2021 draft? tomorrow is promised to no one, and thats what we hear every year, wait till next year, Rodgers was the last 1st round impact offensive position pick, Adams the last 2nd rounder, this defense wins championships hasn't worked for us, and we have ridden Rodgers the whole time, and now we'll hate on him if he wants more then just the money we are paying him to end his career, I'd leave to, and I didn't read that article from Florio LuLu brought prior to my thinking Rodgers wouldn't necessarily take this like a OL pro that Guty suggest.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The media spent all offseason indicating there might be trouble between MLF and Rodgers. There wasn't. We went 133 and both guys have confirmed that they have a good working relationship.

I bet Rodgers is peeved right now; that's fine. But if the media wants to spend all offseason assuming Rodgers is going to be a personality problem again, let them. He thrives in proving people wrong. Maybe it'll even help keep him in line to squelch the doubters.

The offense is in no way worse than it was last year. Graham was a non-factor whose production should easily be replaced by the rising development guys (Sterny and Tonyan). Funchess is a slightly better version of Allison. Deguara is an upgrade over Vitale and adds a lot more than Vitale did. Dillon is a better option to spell Jones than Williams. And EQSB is a 6'5" 4.48 WR with very good hands who was on IR for the year. Plus we're in year two of the system.

Did we get him a top flight rookie WR? No. But have we stripped Rodgers and the offense of anything? Not at all. He'll be fine.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:30
go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:58
Yoop wrote:

you mean the 2021 draft? tomorrow is promised to no one, and thats what we hear every year, wait till next year, Rodgers was the last 1st round impact offensive position pick, Adams the last 2nd rounder, this defense wins championships hasn't worked for us, and we have ridden Rodgers the whole time, and now we'll hate on him if he wants more then just the money we are paying him to end his career, I'd leave to, and I didn't read that article from Florio LuLu brought prior to my thinking Rodgers wouldn't necessarily take this like a OL pro that Guty suggest.
Okay. Then can we agree at least that your Greg Jennings comparison is wrong? Because Jennings was drafted in 2006. Not 2005. I don't argue your want for a WR. But your history facts to back it up are wrong and that's what we are saying. Years are important. Just as you go from 2 years to 7 years of no WR help for Rodgers you can't mix Jennings to help Favre when TT drafted Rodgers. Because that didn't happen. You would have to wait a year.

If you want to state TT helped Favre. Then the better one to use is Terrence Murphy who was indeed selected in 2005 and I still believe to be the best Packers WR to never catch a touchdown pass in my lifetime.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:41
The media spent all offseason indicating there might be trouble between MLF and Rodgers. There wasn't. We went 133 and both guys have confirmed that they have a good working relationship.

I bet Rodgers is peeved right now; that's fine. But if the media wants to spend all offseason assuming Rodgers is going to be a personality problem again, let them. He thrives in proving people wrong. Maybe it'll even help keep him in line to squelch the doubters.

The offense is in no way worse than it was last year. Graham was a non-factor whose production should easily be replaced by the rising development guys (Sterny and Tonyan). Funchess is a slightly better version of Allison. Deguara is an upgrade over Vitale and adds a lot more than Vitale did. Dillon is a better option to spell Jones than Williams. And EQSB is a 6'5" 4.48 WR with very good hands who was on IR for the year. Plus we're in year two of the system.

Did we get him a top flight rookie WR? No. But have we stripped Rodgers and the offense of anything? Not at all. He'll be fine.
Yup. Plus I am really excited for the Dillon and Jones dynamic. It will be a significant upgrade over the Jamaal Williams dynamic. We saw our offense sputter so much when Jones wasn't in.

What I think I am most excited about is if a guy like Dillon can get us that 4 to 5 yards on 1st down consistently....we have seen what our offense can do when faced with 2nd and short. We are lethal there.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Or better yet, Jones gets us 6 yards on 1st down and we are 2nd and 4 and trot out Dillon. That could potentially be a guaranteed first down and boom...play action.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:

All good points. The only position on O likely to have been degraded is RT.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:48
Or better yet, Jones gets us 6 yards on 1st down and we are 2nd and 4 and trot out Dillon. That could potentially be a guaranteed first down and boom...play action.
By the 4th quarter Rodgers will have all day on play action.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I was happy to skip right over that crap from Florio. That’s malpractice for him to publish that baloney. It shows that he has a very low standard of quality and truth.

His trash hardly deserves any more explanation than that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
25 Apr 2020 02:38
Perhaps the most talented quarterback in this class, his arm and movement ability reminds me more of Patrick Mahomes than anyone since Patrick Mahomes. It's ideal that Love can sit on the bench for a few years to clean up his decision-making and mechanics, just like Rodgers once did in Green Bay. (Love was far less accurate and made worse decisions than Rodgers or Mahomes did in college.)
:thwap:

Jordan Love is just like Patrick Mahomes!! ... only, much less accurate and worse as a decision-maker.

You know, the two most important aspects of being a quarterback. :|
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:

why should I think that Dequara is going to walk on and do what most, almost all TE/H-B's can't in there first year or that every down that Dillon is on the field leaves more production on the bench? it doesn't even make sense to me Yoho, to me Dillon is a attempt to replace the soon to be expensive Jones, just as Love is for Rodgers, so to say the offense got better while possibly true to a extent, is it enough?

I tend to agree, Rodgers isn't likely to ask for a trade, or even make a stink over this, he'll accept the fact that he really has no choice but to accept this, not like anyone would pick up this contract, and I don't see Rodgers giving back millions to break it to force a trade, hopefully Rodgers will just do his best with the limited receiver talent he'll have, and let this offensive evolution take it's course.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:24
why should I think that Dequara is going to walk on and do what most, almost all TE/H-B's can't in there first year or that every down that Dillon is on the field leaves more production on the bench? it doesn't even make sense to me Yoho, to me Dillon is a attempt to replace the soon to be expensive Jones, just as Love is for Rodgers, so to say the offense got better while possibly true to a extent, is it enough?
In other threads, I have made a realistic case for exactly what role I think these guys would play AS A ROOKIE.

Deguara: I pointed out that Danny Vitale played 170 snaps for us, and that rookie 4th round pick Foster Moreau, who had a very siumilar skillset and profile, played 250+ snaps for the Raiders this year. Expecting a rookie to be a fulltime starting TE is WAY too much. Expecting a FB/H-back to have a defined role that is mostly blocking and underneath safety valve receiving is perfectly acceptable. Gutey said Deguara could do what Vitale did but would play more snaps. This is a 3rd round guy who is likely to have a defined role on about 25-30% of our offensive snaps this year.

Dillon: I pointed out that in short yardage and late in games/late in the season, this guy will have a valuable role. I pointed out that Jamaal Williams had a role on our team and this guy is a better rusher than him. I pointed out that the 49ers did a RB committee last year. Dillon is CLEARLY a complementary back to Jones; like, CLEARLY. If anyone thinks that we're replacing a 5'9" 209 pound explosive back with a 6'0" 250 pound north-south runner, they're wildly off base. I can't even IMAGINE the negative mentality you'd have to ingraine in your head to see Dillon as a year-away replacement for Jones rather than a big powerful counter/complement to him.

These guys are not year one game-changers. But they'll have a defined role in the offense from year one. Rookie RBs often contribute. The FB/H-back role has specific examples as to how he might contribute.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yeah, i take no stock in anything cowherd or florio says. There is a video clip of Cowherd saying repeatedly on his show that Love is the one with real star potential in the draft, and if he falls the packers should be bold and take him. That was about a month ago. Now that the packers do it, he blasts them non stop. It is just his thing. He is a city boy and we are his mid west whipping boys. I think even lower of Florio.

Rodgers may be mad. But i believe Rodgers when he says he is most interested in winning. He signed the big deal that he wanted, and he is getting paid to do a job. I could see this thing being over after the 2021 season, but any talk of it ending before that is media sewage.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23