Pony Package isn’t working?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Pony Package isn’t working?

Post by Scott4Pack »

Please take a quick read about whether the Packer Pony Package (Jones and Dillon on the field together in the backfield) is working. I’d appreciate hearing from you guys about this.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022 ... -aj-dillon
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Way too small a sample size at this point. I don't think we used it much at all in week 1. We used it like 12 times in week 2 and did well. Did it a lot last week and didn't do well.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Sep 2022 15:21
Way too small a sample size at this point. I don't think we used it much at all in week 1. We used it like 12 times in week 2 and did well. Did it a lot last week and didn't do well.
The writer says this was what we used on the play where Z’Darius nixed our 4th and goal.

To Green Bay’s credit, they haven’t consumed the playbook on this yet either. Still a number of variations likely to come. But so far, it isn’t impressing.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Sep 2022 15:24
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Sep 2022 15:21
The writer says this was what we used on the play where Z’Darius nixed our 4th and goal.
That makes no sense as only Dillon is in the game. Otherwise it is Lewis, Doubs, Cobb, and Rodgers

**Edit** Oh, I see, that example was not pointing to the pony package, but to edge rushers hard off the edge.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m not a fan. The Packers kind of have to resort to it because the lack of talent.

To me both Dillon and Jones aren’t going to be as good as a WR as a route runner or a pass catcher. Neither is going to block as well as a FB or TE. To me it’s not an efficient formation and you aren’t getting value from the personnel you’re placing in the field.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Sep 2022 21:01
I’m not a fan. The Packers kind of have to resort to it because the lack of talent.

To me both Dillon and Jones aren’t going to be as good as a WR as a route runner or a pass catcher. Neither is going to block as well as a FB or TE. To me it’s not an efficient formation and you aren’t getting value from the personnel you’re placing in the field.
Def is necessary due to lack of talent at skill positions. So makes sense even if it’s not ideal overall. I just think they need to be less predictable with it. I’ve often been able to call who is getting the ball before it’s snapped just how things look at lineup. Thus, it’s predictable at this point, but it doesn’t have to be in the long run.

So, while it’s not ideal to need two running backs on the field because of lack of talent elsewhere, Jones and Dillon def are two great players and at this point we need all the great players on the field as we can get.

I mean when a rookie, cobb and Lazard are your receivers, there is def room for both Jones and Dillon on the same field at the same time
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

It worked finally.

This slow start does not seem to have any accountability associated with it. Too much lackadaisical behavior at 1265. No one is willing to put the screws to Gutey and LaFleur...likely because Murphy is becoming a lame duck as he approaches age 70.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pony package isn't working ..... again

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
06 Nov 2022 14:46
Pony package isn't working ..... again
The Clydesdale plays like a pony.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

What, you mean like every other package? xD
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Maybe it hasn't made it over to the USA, but "pony" is English rhyming slang. Short for "pony and trap", which rhymes with ....
Which means the entire GB offense is in permanent "pony" package. :(