Packers Next Quarterback

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Packers Next Quarterback

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Well....we went 4 years with Hunter, Tagge and Hadl until Lynn Dickey settled in. Then after Dickey finished we endured Randy Wright until Majik came on the scene.

Should Gutey go get a veteran QB, or just let Jordan Love sink or swim?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Oct 2022 18:22
Well....we went 4 years with Hunter, Tagge and Hadl until Lynn Dickey settled in. Then after Dickey finished we endured Randy Wright until Majik came on the scene.

Should Gutey go get a veteran QB, or just let Jordan Love sink or swim?
We should let fantastically selective reading of history guide us: Trade a 1st rounder for a drunkard of a backup QB. That has worked 100% of time.

Or we COULD enjoy Aaron Rodgers while he's still playing for the Packers, and talk about this in the off-season. :roll:

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

AR's 2023 dead cap would be 99,000,000 and change. Really.

And I doubt that GB trades him.

Jordan Love may start in 2024 (move AR after 2023 and apply the tag to Love or sign him long term).

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
23 Oct 2022 19:47

Jordan Love may start in 2024 (move AR after 2023 and apply the tag to Love or sign him long term).
2022 POST-6/1 TRADE
2022 Dead Cap: $27,383,569
2023 Dead Cap: $121,348,568
2022 Cap Savings: $1,150,000
2023 PRE-6/1 TRADE
2023 Dead Cap: $40,313,568
2023 Cap Savings: $-8,690,000
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Not sure what if would do to the cap but I see about a 99% chance of a rodgers retirement if the season continues down it’s current path
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

gawd I wish we moved on from each other last spring.

We are going to have roughly $65 million of dead cap between Aaron Rodgers and David Bakhtiari alone after this season.

We took a gamble to try and right some postseason wrongs from 2020 and 2021 and it is looking very bleak now. This was our risk.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
23 Oct 2022 19:47

No, that isnt correct from my understanding.

All for discussing the future, but we gotta be accurate and informed.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

No idea why this topic was raised week 7 of the season. On top of that, Love hasn’t even played yet to make any sort of judgement.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Eh idk I'm not writing off the season yet. We look like garbage, but we've looked like garbage before and found our way out of it. Rodgers is an old dog, so it's unlikely he learns any new tricks (or rather, snaps out of some long-held habits that are holding him back and become more apparent without WRs to hide them behind), but it's possible. Plus these WRs do really suck.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
23 Oct 2022 22:48
Eh idk I'm not writing off the season yet. We look like garbage, but we've looked like garbage before and found our way out of it. Rodgers is an old dog, so it's unlikely he learns any new tricks (or rather, snaps out of some long-held habits that are holding him back and become more apparent without WRs to hide them behind), but it's possible. Plus these WRs do really suck.
The line is worse. That is saying something.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

It's always been a WR problem, problem here is that since the FO wouldn't supply better talent most here blame the QB.
this idea that it takes a top 5 defense to win, and spending almost all the high picks on that side of the ball to get a defense that good has robbed the offense of talented impact receivers.

our RB's are amongst league leaders for yrds after first contact, if that doesn't say something about our ability to run block, what does, our goal is pass pro, yet if Rodgers doesn't get the ball out within a 2.5 count he's buried or running for his life, we saved a couple mil letting Turner go, great move. :thwap:

we let go of Adams also to save money, we really had no choice, problem is the remaining WR talent was a huge down step, and we had not done anything leading up to his eventual departure, huge failure, so Guty spent 4 picks to get 3 more mediocre receiver prospects, the most expensive one more raw then 10 day old road kill.

plenty of blame to go around, but why the hell give a QB the bank as we did the off season of 2018? was it to teach 7 drafted WR's how to play in this league? to date Scantling is the only one succeed, and we couldn't afford to keep him either,and all the other jags that rotated out after proving there worthlessness.

now some want to fold up and sell off all remaining talent, my question is whats the rush? mediocrity can last a long long time, I wouldn't be so quick to think rebuilding to what we've had these last 12 years is so easily achievable, specially since we just watched how long it takes to build a defense, thompsons last 5 years and Guty's first 5 years are a great example of what doesn't work, you can tool up every other aspect of the team, but if you skimp with talent at WR, eventually the QB wont be able to be the difference maker any more, this last 10 years have provided us with winning seasons, but lots of futility in the PO's, like yesterday, the 2020 PO loss had 7 dropped passes, so to lay the blame at Rodgers feet is non sensical, like some others around here I do not like what the FO has done building this team.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

APB wrote:
23 Oct 2022 22:35
No idea why this topic was raised week 7 of the season. On top of that, Love hasn’t even played yet to make any sort of judgement.
It looks as though we can't win with AR, so what is the downside with seeing what he has?

He just got outplayed by Heinike who was working with WRs on par with the Packers.

Man, I thought the Packers should trade him this last offseason. Gute's biggest mistake as a GM so far is not getting that done. What an albatross AR is on the Packers neck. Now his value is plummeting and his outlook is bleak. It's not impossible for him to turn it around, but I don't think he will. It's far easier to blame the WR corps than to focus on playing with what he has.

For goodness sakes! The last play we had 5 or 6 laterals. Some from OL. Some not pretty, but they were legal. And Rodgers should be the smartest guy on the field. And he can't do a legal and accurate lateral?

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

AmishMafia wrote:
24 Oct 2022 07:20
APB wrote:
23 Oct 2022 22:35
It looks as though we can't win with AR, so what is the downside with seeing what he has?

He just got outplayed by Heinike who was working with WRs on par with the Packers.

Man, I thought the Packers should trade him this last offseason. Gute's biggest mistake as a GM so far is not getting that done.
What an albatross AR is on the Packers neck. Now his value is plummeting and his outlook is bleak. It's not impossible for him to turn it around, but I don't think he will. It's far easier to blame the WR corps than to focus on playing with what he has.

For goodness sakes! The last play we had 5 or 6 laterals. Some from OL. Some not pretty, but they were legal. And Rodgers should be the smartest guy on the field. And he can't do a legal and accurate lateral?
Firstly, I completely agree with you that moving on from Rodgers after the 2021 season would have been the correct move to begin the re-build.

Secondly, I also completely agree that the Packers decision to re-sign Rodgers to a lucrative new deal has made him an albatross, albeit an albatross that Packer management eagerly sought to tie themselves to.

Thirdly, in no world is a Washington receiving corps with Terry McLaurin on it on par with the Packers WRs.

Leaving aside the fact that the Commanders also gashed the Packers for 166 yards rushing, compared to the Pack's 38 yards, with McLaurin on the field Heinicke had both a reliable and deep threat at WR that does not exist on the Pack's 2022 roster.

Rodgers was throwing to WRs Lazard, Toure, Doubs, Watkins, and Amari Rodgers. If the Pack offered all 5 of those McLaurin, Washington would laugh in their face and rightly so.

Don't let the fact that the Packers blundered by not moving on from Rodgers blind you to just how horrible the current stable of WRs truly is.

As this is a thread about the future Packer QB, I can say with full confidence I have no desire for any future Packer QB to be saddled with this collection of WRs.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Terry McLaurin is good, better than anything we have, but let's not overstate how much of an advantage one *good* (not overwhelmingly so) receiver is. This team still felt the need to go out and draft a Jahan Dotson, who we didn't have to face.

He is not elite, and between Jaire, Stokes, and Douglas, we should have had the ability to eliminate him the way all the playoff teams we recently lost to took away our actually elite receiver (Adams) and forced our purportedly much better QB (Rodgers) to throw to other guys.

We don't have a McLaurin, but WAS wasn't fielding some great DB group anyway. Of course, when you are in a losing mindset as we are, you think in terms of what you can't do rather than what you can do.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
23 Oct 2022 21:23

We are going to have roughly $65 million of dead cap between Aaron Rodgers and David Bakhtiari alone after this season.

We took a gamble to try and right some postseason wrongs from 2020 and 2021 and it is looking very bleak now. This was our risk.
I totally agree. It was a huge mistake to resign Rodgers. Maybe worse than the John Hadl trade and that is saying a lot. It was a gamble and the gamble lost. Rodgers is a shell of what he was last season and the decline was already visible last season. But the fans and the Packer brass had rose colored glasses and refused to see the obvious. Now we are stuck with a below average NFL starter who is too much of a diva to admit that he has to change his game to become a slightly better than average NFL QB which he is still capable of being. He insists on playing as if he were 32 years old and in his prime. He insists on playing as if he were the best and can hit the deep pass which he cannot reliably do any more.

And NO, the WR's are not the problem. He has a top 5 TE, he mostly ignores him. Tonyan got 4 targets, caught 3 of them. Lazard got 7 targets and caught 6 of them. And as a result the Packers went 0-7 on third and 4th down. Those 2 players and that stat are why the Packers lost, because Rodgers is looking for the big play rather than the 1st down. Or a 5 yard completion on 1st down or a 4 yard rush on first down. Anything but a 20 yard incompletion on any down.
Commanders TOP 37:07 Packers 22:53
Commanders First Downs: 22 Packers 16
Commanders Rushing attempts: 38 Packers 12

It starts with the Packers O not staying on the field and the reason why is 12 rushing attempts and 0 of 7 3rd and 4th down conversions. And the reason why there were only 12 rushing attempts and so few targets of the possession receivers, Tonyan and Larard is very simple, a QB that can't hit the deep pass anymore and insists on trying. A QB that thinks he is the GOAT and plays like a stubborn goat.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 24 Oct 2022 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I'm both not willing to give up on the season or even this staff/roster moving into next year. People are way too prone to giving up and saying we should just blow it all up.

We have talent on the roster and for some reason, it's not clicking. It could still click and this team could get hot so let's just see where this all goes. But blowing up the roster mid season makes zero sense.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Acrobat wrote:
24 Oct 2022 08:59
I'm both not willing to give up on the season or even this staff/roster moving into next year. People are way too prone to giving up and saying we should just blow it all up.

We have talent on the roster and for some reason, it's not clicking. It could still click and this team could get hot so let's just see where this all goes. But blowing up the roster mid season makes zero sense.
It is true, there is plenty of talent on this roster. But talent does not win games, a smart game plan and a QB that follows it would do wonders. A HC that has the balls to sit that QB when he does not and goes 3 and punt would help too. The plain fact is that the QB is calling the plays, not the HC and it is not working.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Oct 2022 09:08
Acrobat wrote:
24 Oct 2022 08:59

It is true, there is plenty of talent on this roster. But talent does not win games, a smart game plan and a QB that follows it would do wonders. A HC that has the balls to sit that QB when he does not and goes 3 and punt would help too. The plain fact is that the QB is calling the plays, not the HC and it is not working.
Yep, obviously something needs to change, just not ready to fire or trade anyone yet.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
23 Oct 2022 21:23

It is a shame about Bak. I have a feeling he may have to retire. Too bad because he is one of the best I've ever seen at his position.

I can understand why they paid AR. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight we over drafted Love big time. But IMO the bigger sin this past offseason was not adequately addressing the WR position. Unless Gute couldn't find a dance partner so we could move up in the first round he still should have secured a FA veteran other than fragile Watkins.