4th and 1: Rodgers, Stones, and Glass Houses

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

4th and 1: Rodgers, Stones, and Glass Houses

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

AR decides pre-snap to throw to Doubs. He misses Watkins wide open, pitch and catch, for an easy TD.

And no, Watkins was not supposed to be blocking here. True pass set from the OL. And a Watkins block at the snap would be a penalty for offensive pass interference. Watkins ran the correct route. Rodgers made the wrong decision. It cost the team 7 pts.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We wouldn't have converted if Doubs caught it, anyway.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Labrev wrote:
26 Oct 2022 20:56
The ball never should have gone to Doubs. The correct read was to throw to Watkins.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Don't think AR trusts the line to block. He only has a few passes per game past 10 yards. Was just going for the first to live another down.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
26 Oct 2022 20:57
Labrev wrote:
26 Oct 2022 20:56
The ball never should have gone to Doubs. The correct read was to throw to Watkins.
Wrong play call was to go round doubs.

Go freeze frame before Rodgers is starting throwing motion and corner is not breaking. Corner breaks once throw happens.

Great play by the corner on sammy - quick reaction and seeing the ball out. Rodgers doesn't throw it then the corner goes with sammy and no play.

Doubs just needs to catch a ball.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Correct play was to run it or pass to the RB. Whether the call was run or pass we will never know.

Had Love been the QB or Rodgers been 5 years younger, the correct call was a QB option to the right, probably would have gone 20 yards and maybe more. And that is just the point, Love can't be any worse than Rodgers IF the offense is set up for him and not Rodgers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I can't understand the thought process on this play.

Watkins does a route so to me the absolute worst thing the QB can do is throw the ball right away and allow the outside CB to choose who to cover. Rodgers made it way too easy on the defense. Wait just another second and the decision will be clear either to 87 or 11 of which one to throw.

Honestly I love the play design. But the execution was just terrible.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

This is why tequila is the only answer for the Dallas game. Bad offensive play execution and play calling.

Back to the Seventies and Eighties for the Packers maybe. It'll likely end up being Casamigos. An upgrade from 'Jose Cuervo you are a friend of mine' from the Seventies and Eighties :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Oct 2022 06:19

Watkins does a route so to me the absolute worst thing the QB can do is throw the ball right away and allow the outside CB to choose who to cover. Rodgers made it way too easy on the defense. Wait just another second and the decision will be clear either to 87 or 11 of which one to throw.

hard to figure why Rodgers was in such a hurry on this play, no pressure and didn't even wait for any separation, Doubs had about as much chance at getting a first down as we did sitting on the couch watching. :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Oct 2022 07:21
go pak go wrote:
27 Oct 2022 06:19

hard to figure why Rodgers was in such a hurry on this play, no pressure and didn't even wait for any separation, Doubs had about as much chance at getting a first down as we did sitting on the couch watching. :thwap:
I mean immediately when he throws it...it looks like the right call because you just assume Watkins is blocking. But then Watkins just keeps going.

So it is either Watkins did the wrong play or Rodgers just released the ball way too soon. My guess is, based on Amari Rodgers also doing a route, that this was not a WR screen and was in fact a great WR bunches play to force the defense to cover 3 guys with 2 players.

Again. I thought it was a beautifully designed play. Washington was absolutely screwed on that play. But it couldn't have been executed worse by the QB.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

What woulda been beautiful on that play is a pump fake to the flat, and then throw deep to wiiiide open Watkins.

AR messed up on that play.*

*Legal Yoop disclaimer: Regardless of what was written, shown on video, or happens in a game, Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is never at fault of anything. Salmar80 acknowledges this play was actually the fault of the WR, GM for not picking Simmons, coach, turf, circumstance, witchcraft or salmar80.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The exact moment both DBs over the stab take a step forward:
image.png
image.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 530 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
27 Oct 2022 10:39
What woulda been beautiful on that play is a pump fake to the flat, and then throw deep to wiiiide open Watkins.

AR messed up on that play.*

*Legal Yoop disclaimer: Regardless of what was written, shown on video, or happens in a game, Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is never at fault of anything. Salmar80 acknowledges this play was actually the fault of the WR, GM for not picking Simmons, coach, turf, circumstance, witchcraft or salmar80.
what exactly are you blabbering on about now, I just said Rodgers looks at fault on that play :lol:

in fact this season does resemble some of the stuff he did in 2018, not throwing check downs= not throwing to the right receiver, missing deep throws by a country mile, throwing hard to catch passes, it's hard for me to accept he has declined this much in one off season, in fact I can't and wont accept that just yet, you and others can if ya want to, but I'll wait a little longer for that. :beer2:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

If we really want to get Rodgers back to MVP form, we need to get Love to do something to !@#$ him off. Maybe Love could call him "old man", or insult his haircut, or put Icy Hot in his underwear!

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

This is...again...more reason why Rodgers shouldn't be talking about other players screwing up in interviews.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Oct 2022 10:44
The exact moment both DBs over the stab take a step forward:
image.png
Rodgers motion was starting back foot gets planted and it's out.

Just as play was designed by MLF to get 1 yard.

Pump fake would've been great in hindsight but un reality the odds on play was to go to Doubs.

Corner made good play and read knowing pack needed 1 yard and wouldn't risk something big.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Oct 2022 13:40
This is...again...more reason why Rodgers shouldn't be talking about other players screwing up in interviews.
Rodgers didn't screw up. Do you think that play wasn't designed for Doubs with a 4th and 1 at pivotal moment in the game?

You think it was pump fake risk corner not biting and then having option?

Rather than the wr catch a out and fall over or reach forward?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

bud fox wrote:
27 Oct 2022 15:40
Acrobat wrote:
Rodgers didn't screw up. Do you think that play wasn't designed for Doubs with a 4th and 1 at pivotal moment in the game?

ok

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

The play was designed for any of the three options depending on who ended up being open. If it was meant for Doubs only...then have your WRs block for a screen.

But that wasn't the case. All three ran routes and it is up to the QB to determine the weak spot to put the ball. Rodgers got outplayed by the CB. Plain and simple.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

bud fox wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

An out in that situation depends on the corners biting. The CB smelled that play coming a mile away. Which is why he bit early on the out route, and left Watkins all alone.

Still, AR shoulda seen it was real crowded there, the out was covered, and not thrown it. A 3 vs 3 screen has only 2 blockers for 3 defenders. Bad odds. There was a high chance at an INT on that play, something AR hates.

There was a better chance at a 1st down with AR running it than him throwing that exact one.

I just can't find an excuse for Aaron Rodgers with all my might.

He screwed up.