Round 6 (192) - Jon Runyan, OT/OG Michigan

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Round 6 (192) - Jon Runyan, OT/OG Michigan

Post by NCF »

Discuss.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yes! I'm very happy with this one. Obvious good bloodlines.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Safest Day Three Pick in the draft.

There is zero doubt he will be on an NFL roster for a decade or so. He should be a starting iOL within 2 years. He has a great character, attitude, demeanor. He hit every single athletic benchmark we have for OL. We've got Billy Turner's replacement on board.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

:clap:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Here's a post I made about 2 weeks ago:
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2020 12:20
Jon Runyan, Jr. is the safest Day Three pick in the draft.

He hits every athletic benchmark, he has the smarts, the attitude, the toughness. He grew up around the game.

This position is tough with the massive lack of agility drills conducted this year. A startlingly low number of lineman hit the Packers' traditional thresholds, though I'm not sure how strictly we're sticking to those anymore.

Jon Runyan, ranked as a 5th-7th rounder, is one of those.

Would also like to see Danny Pinter as a PS candidate to learn C (was mostly an OT in college, has to move to OG, but C would be even better).

Kyle Murphy and Matt Hennessy would be good gets, also.

The only pure OT prospect that hits all the marks is Cleveland, and I'm concerned that his draft stock has risen too far above his value

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:22

There is zero doubt he will be on an NFL roster for a decade or so. He should be a starting iOL within 2 years. He has a great character, attitude, demeanor. He hit every single athletic benchmark we have for OL. We've got Billy Turner's replacement on board.
Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if he outplays Turner this year. I still think it's Turner's spot, but Runyan is the guy of the future.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I like this pick. He should have a chance to unseat Turner (which would in turn give Turner a chance to compete with Wagner at RT).
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:22

Sweet
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:29
I like this pick. He should have a chance to unseat Turner (which would in turn give Turner a chance to compete with Wagner at RT).
Given that Jenkins wasn't even given Taylor's job until Taylor got injured, I doubt that for this year. But yes.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

This is the first good pick they’ve made this draft.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:34
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:29
Given that Jenkins wasn't even given Taylor's job until Taylor got injured, I doubt that for this year. But yes.
You're probably right, especially if we don't have a full offseason.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Somone tweeted that they could ask him to learn center. Interesting thought too.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:39
Somone tweeted that they could ask him to learn center. Interesting thought too.
Yeah, I'm fine with that, too.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:49
paco wrote:
Especially when Linsleys future isn't set in stone.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:53
YoHoChecko wrote:
paco wrote:
Just drafted a C, so maybe not haha

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 16:02
TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:53
YoHoChecko wrote:

Just drafted a C, so maybe not haha
But, still, maybe. Flexibility is key when counting on these lower-round guys.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Runyan (and the Michigan offensive line as a whole) turned in one of his best showings of the year on Nov. 30 against Ohio State, when he and the rest of U-M’s front five held OSU junior defensive end Chase Young — who was widely viewed as the best defensive player in the nation — in check.

He racked up 16.5 sacks and 21 tackles for loss on the year, and the Wolverines’ offensive line limited him to zero sacks, no TFLs and zero tackles.

Then-redshirt freshman right tackle Jalen Mayfield was the primary Wolverine working against him, but Runyan saw his share of action against Young as well.

“I came to understand Chase’s game and found he’s not a big bull-rushing guy, but instead wants to beat you with speed,” Runyan explained.

“If he beats you, he’s going to hit the quarterback hard. He once beat me and hit [U-M quarterback] Shea [Patterson], and I felt so bad because I heard Shea exhale when Chase threw him on the ground.

“That was the one hit I let up on him and I apologized to Shea. It was on a third down and late in the game, but I got into a rhythm against him.

“I knew I had to get him on the snap count, and I feel like I did pretty well for myself going against the [likely] second overall pick.

“We wanted to slide to where he was, and OSU figured that out early. We would then slide toward the three-technique, and they found out our plan and we started incorporating the chip stuff in there and it worked.

“We’d go empty protection and slide away from him, and just tried to give him different looks. Some people said we triple-teamed him, but I don’t think you can ever triple-team someone because it doesn’t make sense mathematically.

“I have a lot of respect for him and know he’s going to do great in the NFL.”
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Gutey said he's starting outside at OT and may experiment with him inside. MLF said sliding him inside suits his skillset. So... versatility!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:05
Gutey said he's starting outside at OT and may experiment with him inside. MLF said sliding him inside suits his skillset. So... versatility!
I’d love to see Runyon trying outside!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!