Play the Packer GM (Thanksgiving version)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Play the Packer GM (Thanksgiving version)

Post by Scott4Pack »

Scenario: The Pack has just lost to the Titans. They are all but mathematically eliminated (already) from the playoffs. If you were the GM of the Packers and your job depended upon you making wise moves and doing what you can to instill confidence in the entire organization, what would you do?

This scenario can be revisited after every remaining game. I just had many thoughts wrestling in my head, so I wanted to start a thread for this now.

Please be KIND and REALISTIC on this thread. Let’s make the rest of this year and the 2023 Packers better!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Nov 2022 14:52
Scenario: The Pack has just lost to the Titans. They are all but mathematically eliminated (already) from the playoffs. If you were the GM of the Packers and your job depended upon you making wise moves and doing what you can to instill confidence in the entire organization, what would you do?

This scenario can be revisited after every remaining game. I just had many thoughts wrestling in my head, so I wanted to start a thread for this now.

Please be KIND and REALISTIC on this thread. Let’s make the rest of this year and the 2023 Packers better!
I don't think there is much to do until the offseason for the GM. One thing to NOT do is go spend on any FAs. This maybe would be a better convo by replacing GM with coach (or coaching staff).

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:

1) Clean house.
2) Bring in a new "Ron Wolf-like" GM starting in 2023
3) Hire a new coach starting in 2023.
4) Bring in a new assistant coach staff starting in 2023.
5) Get the Packers to at least 11 and 6 in 2023 with Rodgers still here.
6) Crank up the acquisitions ala Reggie White, Frank Winters, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, Bruce Wilkerson, Andre Risen, Keith Jackson.

An atmosphere has to be created where players WANT TO COME TO GREEN BAY. Who should be the next Reggie White-type acquisition that makes Green Bay a place that players really really want to play? Of course the next Brett Favre / Aaron Rodgers would help as well.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 19 Nov 2022 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

My first thoughts are:

1. Aaron Rodgers. He still has quite a lot of value on this team. Ride that horse while you can.
A. He starts every game, but may yield in the second half to the backup QB. Depends on how each game unfolds.
B. Put Aaron out there in public media, as the face of the Packers. He’s still very popular, even if his skills are declining.
C. I know this is unheard of, but make a case to decrease his pay, while assuring him that you want him on your team next year. Sorry to think this, but I think he will (again) want assurances. Identify the parts of his game, with his input, that are in decline. Heck, let him tell you what isn’t working better, even regarding other players.

2. MLF and coaching staff.
A. Ask them for a specific action plan moving forward. Yeah, it’s a hassle for the staff to do this, but we aren’t making the playoffs. So, re-evaluate and give them live/die input opportunities. Yes, they need to justify their jobs, at least for next year.
B. Make a strong push that the defensive scheme must change for next year. It clearly hasn’t met expectations. Line up a new DC, as much as you can prior to season’s end.

3. Players to demote or promote:
A. Savage. He is clearly struggling in coverage as the nickel back. But he was struggling a bit too at Safety. What can you do to help him this year and then possibly trade him for next?
B. Ford. If Packers want a pressure-creating defense, this guy should be in the mix. Experiment with him this year to see what works best for him and the scheme.
C. Enegbare (sp?). This guy is strong enough to create pressure and hold the edge. With our star rusher out, give him all the opportunities he needs to succeed.
D. Shop Dean Lowry.
E. Toure. Give him more opportunities. With Watkins clearly not working out, promote this kid and give him more opps.
F. Watkins. I really think all we can do is hold onto him this season in case the WRs get more dinged up. No reason to keep him for next year and he isn’t producing this year. Let him warm the bench for now.
G. Watson. Make a plan to feature this guy to continue to increase his confidence. Not ready to call him WR1. But he should see the ball a lot.
H. Doubs. See plan for Watson above. These two guys have a bright future, especially with a vet like Lazard.
I. Lazard. Give him a pay raise. He’s a great soldier, blocks well, has improved his hands well. Yeah, he isn’t a WR1 on most teams. But he lays it out there for your team. You know he always has your back (or front).
J. Bahktiari. Determine whether he can remain healthy next year or not. Do what you can to keep him and keep him healthy.

4. Team
A. Design a new uniform. Sometimes an organization needs a lift from unexpected places. Go with a modern look of some sort by mixing up the colors and patterns. Make them with the mindset that this will help to attract free agents this winter too!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Nov 2022 15:12
My first thoughts are:

1. Aaron Rodgers. He still has quite a lot of value on this team. Ride that horse while you can.
A. He starts every game, but may yield in the second half to the backup QB. Depends on how each game unfolds.
B. Put Aaron out there in public media, as the face of the Packers. He’s still very popular, even if his skills are declining.
C. I know this is unheard of, but make a case to decrease his pay, while assuring him that you want him on your team next year. Sorry to think this, but I think he will (again) want assurances. Identify the parts of his game, with his input, that are in decline. Heck, let him tell you what isn’t working better, even regarding other players.

2. MLF and coaching staff.
A. Ask them for a specific action plan moving forward. Yeah, it’s a hassle for the staff to do this, but we aren’t making the playoffs. So, re-evaluate and give them live/die input opportunities. Yes, they need to justify their jobs, at least for next year.
B. Make a strong push that the defensive scheme must change for next year. It clearly hasn’t met expectations. Line up a new DC, as much as you can prior to season’s end.

3. Players to demote or promote:
A. Savage. He is clearly struggling in coverage as the nickel back. But he was struggling a bit too at Safety. What can you do to help him this year and then possibly trade him for next?
B. Ford. If Packers want a pressure-creating defense, this guy should be in the mix. Experiment with him this year to see what works best for him and the scheme.
C. Enegbare (sp?). This guy is strong enough to create pressure and hold the edge. With our star rusher out, give him all the opportunities he needs to succeed.
D. Shop Dean Lowry.
E. Toure. Give him more opportunities. With Watkins clearly not working out, promote this kid and give him more opps.
F. Watkins. I really think all we can do is hold onto him this season in case the WRs get more dinged up. No reason to keep him for next year and he isn’t producing this year. Let him warm the bench for now.
G. Watson. Make a plan to feature this guy to continue to increase his confidence. Not ready to call him WR1. But he should see the ball a lot.
H. Doubs. See plan for Watson above. These two guys have a bright future, especially with a vet like Lazard.
I. Lazard. Give him a pay raise. He’s a great soldier, blocks well, has improved his hands well. Yeah, he isn’t a WR1 on most teams. But he lays it out there for your team. You know he always has your back (or front).
J. Bahktiari. Determine whether he can remain healthy next year or not. Do what you can to keep him and keep him healthy.

4. Team
A. Design a new uniform. Sometimes an organization needs a lift from unexpected places. Go with a modern look of some sort by mixing up the colors and patterns. Make them with the mindset that this will help to attract free agents this winter too!
Nope on #4. There is no place for such foolishness at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, Green Bay, Wisconsin. The existing home (green jersey) and away (white jersey) uniforms (the Lombardi era uniforms, not the new gimmick uniforms, have ZERO downside).

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Nov 2022 15:21
4. Team
Nope on #4. There is no place for such foolishness at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, Green Bay, Wisconsin. The existing home (green jersey) and away (white jersey) uniforms (the Lombardi era uniforms, not the new gimmick uniforms, have ZERO downside).
[/quote]

I love it, man! Lol.

To be sure, if a uni design change was to occur, it must not be with some kind of girly, non-macho idea. Yes, keep the traditional green and gold. But make it have more of a modern warrior appearance. Not a Michael Jackson or Flash Gordon kind of thing.

You made me smile. Thanks!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Nov 2022 15:08
Scott4Pack wrote:

1) Clean house.
2) Bring in a new "Ron Wolf-like" GM starting in 2023
3) Hire a new coach starting in 2023.
4) Bring in a new assistant coach staff starting in 2023.
5) Get the Packers to at least 11 and 6 in 2023 with Rodgers still here.
6) Crank up the acquisitions ala Reggie White, Frank Winters, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, Bruce Wilkerson, Andre Risen, Keith Jackson.

An atmosphere has to created where players WANT TO COME TO GREEN BAY. Who should be the next Reggie White-type acquisition that makes Green Bay a place that players really really want to play? Of course the next Brett Favre / Aaron Rodgers would help as well.
What’s sad is zadarius kind of gave the vibe of “make you want to come to Green Bay”. He bled green and yellow. Then we cut him. I bet he wasn’t happy about the rodgers uncertainty either. Z is having a great year in minnesota by the way
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I was gonna say Z was your Reggie White type of player but we mismanaged him. He was changing the defensive culture. He came in and made them fun. I thought the D Train thing was corny but the players loved it. On top of that he was a great player.

The fact the team didn’t automatically make him a captain to me was dumb. Should Z have thrown a hissy fit that he didn’t make captain? Probably not but I do think he was right in believing he deserved that spot.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Nov 2022 21:51
I was gonna say Z was your Reggie White type of player but we mismanaged him. He was changing the defensive culture. He came in and made them fun. I thought the D Train thing was corny but the players loved it. On top of that he was a great player.

The fact the team didn’t automatically make him a captain to me was dumb. Should Z have thrown a hissy fit that he didn’t make captain? Probably not but I do think he was right in believing he deserved that spot.
Green Bay wants choir boys unless they are the MVP QB. Everyone else gets to be captain by being the biggest yes man. Has nothing to do with ability. Ask marcedes Lewis and Crosby

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Don’t the players select the team captains? I thought they did…?

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-e ... 022-season

If that’s the case, and I believe it is, why is Z’s failure to be named a captain being laid at the feet of management? Is it just because we like to invent reasons to bitch about this staff?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
20 Nov 2022 06:58

If that’s the case, and I believe it is, why is Z’s failure to be named a captain being laid at the feet of management? Is it just because we like to invent reasons to bitch about this staff?
spot on, I said this a while back when posters complained about the terrible way we treated Z by cutting him and not making him a capitain after his season on IR, Z new full well that when we drafted Gary, and if he showed some promise he would be history whether he lost a season to injury or not, all of his belly aching over it was all for show, and as expected a bunch of posters bought that crap hook, line , and sinker :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think the Z thing was more about his dumba$$ injury and not being available while also throwing a hissy fit on the contract when he still had a year left to prove it.

Teammates likely got annoyed by that. Both sides absolutely had faults. The Packers were hostage to Rodgers and couldn't extend Z and then Z hurt his back and didn't get the proper medical attention in time resulting in a no-show all season.

It was a combination of a lot of crappy things. But yet that is honestly the Packers in a nutshell since December 31, 2020.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Honestly not a whole lot from a GM'ing standpoint right now.

I would keep Ford out there. I would start asking Wyatt to take more of Lowry's snaps. I would also ask Toure to take snaps in place of Watkins.

The obvious question is what to do at QB1. I would push on IR'ing Rodgers with his broken thumb at the bye week. Assuming we drop to Philly, one more loss will mathematically eliminate us. So if we drop to Chicago going into the bye, I would IR Rodgers and start seeing Jordan Love.

As for the offseason, there too isn't a whole lot we can do. You need to depend on a good draft. But otherwise, you cut as many players as you possibly can and replace them with drafted players and UDFA's. I would limit deferring as much cap into 2024 as possible. You establish 2023 as a rebuilding year. The one player that makes the most sense to trade / cut is Aaron Jones. But he is also the one player I want to let go of the LEAST. So that will be challenging.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Kind of an ironic thread. Our gm is the reason we are in this spot. As long as he remains gm, we can fast forward to thanksgiving again next year and do the same thread. No cap space so same characters with another draft by said gm. Hamster wheel.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:

And if Rodgers was the pariah so many claim he is he wouldn't be a team captain.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
20 Nov 2022 14:54
APB wrote:

And if Rodgers was the pariah so many claim he is he wouldn't be a team captain.
A pariah is a bit too far. Devicive is more like it. That might even be worse and I think that is what we are seeing.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:

To play devils advocate, if a coach has any inclination that the players got the vote wrong and it is to the detriment of the team, it is on the staff to make that right.

I think many foresaw issues with the vote immediately, both in the media and on this site. The fact that the coaches ignored what many could see says something. I’m not sure what and to what degree, but it’s not nothing.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2022 10:02
I think the Z thing was more about his dumba$$ injury and not being available while also throwing a hissy fit on the contract when he still had a year left to prove it.

Teammates likely got annoyed by that. Both sides absolutely had faults. The Packers were hostage to Rodgers and couldn't extend Z and then Z hurt his back and didn't get the proper medical attention in time resulting in a no-show all season.

It was a combination of a lot of crappy things. But yet that is honestly the Packers in a nutshell since December 31, 2020.
Hostage, both sides where willing to do the deal, Hostage is a term when one side is captive, you use words that simply don't apply to strengthen your opinion.

and while you'd dump all the talent to start over your setting yourself up for disappointment cause thats not what will happen, Guty would be a fool to do that, two wrongs don't make a right, he's already on the hot seat for some of his decisions, tanking and cutting all the talent is the last thing he'd do.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:08
APB wrote:

To play devils advocate, if a coach has any inclination that the players got the vote wrong and it is to the detriment of the team, it is on the staff to make that right.

I think many foresaw issues with the vote immediately, both in the media and on this site. The fact that the coaches ignored what many could see says something. I’m not sure what and to what degree, but it’s not nothing.
Issues like what? All I see is rodgers and his two unproductive buddies always get captain…Lewis and Crosby.

Z basically lost the captains spot to Jaire, which Jaire came into the year as a preseason all pro candidate

Just sayin, yes Z was a true leader and should have been a captain, but I don’t see some “irregularity” when Lewis and Crosby have always been rewarded for being nice guys in the community

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:08
APB wrote:

why would the coaches step in, Z didn't play for the team the year prior, and the players had to know Z was on his way out, why would we continue to keep him when Gary's ability became evident the season Z was on IR? why would the players vote Z to be a captain when it was likely he wouldn't be here.