2020 UDFA Signings

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

2020 UDFA Signings

Post by NCF »

I bet we get a few WRs here that will actually have a shot.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Patriots are the only other team to not draft any. Was considered a sizable need for them too. does that mean anything?
RIP JustJeff

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

According to the NFLPA site, the Packers had 66 players on their roster before drafting nine more. They can agree to sign 15 more players.

Stanford Samuels, CB: The Florida State defensive back is 6-1, 187 pounds and ran a 4.65-second 40 at the combine. - Jim Owczarski

Marc-Antoine Dequoy, DB: PackersNews.com confirmed the Packers agreed to bring in the Canadian football player. The 25-year-old reportedly ran a 4.35-second, 40-yard dash and had a 37-inch vertical.

Zack Johnson, OT: The Packers dipped back into familiar waters at North Dakota State and PackersNews.com confirmed the 6-4, 317-pound offensive linemen will come to Green Bay as a tackle.

Patrick Taylor, RB: Per his agency, the Packers agreed to terms with the 6-1, 217-pound runner out of Memphis. He ran a 4.57-second 40-yard dash at the combine and had a 34-inch vertical.

Krys Barnes (LB, UCLA) reportedly will sign with the Packers

Will Sunderland, Jr. (DB, Troy) says he has signed with the Packers

WR Darrell Stewart, Michigan State

Jordan Jones(TE/FB) Prairie View has signed with the Green Bay Packers, per agent Kevin Fitzpatrick

Travis Bruffy, OG: According to Texas Tech, the interior linemen agreed to terms with the Packers. He is 6-6 and 305 pounds.

Tipa Galeai, Edge : PackersNews.com confirmed the Packers picked up Jordan Love's teammate from Utah State. He is 6-5 and 235 pounds.

Willington Previlon, DE, Rutgers, 6-4, 290 pounds. Honorable mention all-Big Ten. Ended career with 71 tackles, 11.5 tackles-for-loss, four sacks and three pass breakups
Last edited by kampmanfan4life on 25 Apr 2020 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I like Zach Johnson and I really, really like Patrick Taylor.

Hell of a signing for with Patrick Taylor

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 19:31
I like Zach Johnson and I really, really like Patrick Taylor.

Hell of a signing for with Patrick Taylor

Oh neat, one of those highlights happened a couple hundred yards from my house (Navy's stadium)

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

This corner has pretty intriguing speed for his size.

Marc-Antoine Dequoy, S, Universite De Montreal: 6-2 ½, 198, 4.36.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Interesting write-up by McGinn on one of our UDFAs (usually he has a full "what the scouts said" on the UDFAs; dunno if that will be coming later)
CB Stanford Samuels highlights the Packers’ undrafted free agents
By Bob McGinn Apr 26, 2020 26

Every cornerback that folds into his sprinter’s stance at the NFL Scouting Combine fully understands what’s at stake. No position is judged more on the 40-yard dash than theirs.

Stanford Samuels III of Florida State ran 4.65 seconds, which is a kiss of death for cornerbacks. It’s largely why he was quietly agreeing to a free-agent contract with the Packers early Saturday night rather than celebrating draft day with family and friends.

“I had a fourth-round grade on him,” an executive in personnel said not long after the combine. He added: “Before he ran.”

Ten days before the combine, another executive said of Samuels, “Good one-on-one cover ability, press and off. Good tackler. He’s got some talent.”

That veteran scout, one of many who takes pride in his ability to estimate accurately a player’s 40 time by watching him play, thought Samuels would clock 4.45 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

“I had given him like a third-round (grade) because he’s quick and is in position, but he ended up running 4.7,” that same scout said with some exaggeration of Samuels’ clocking. “When you run bad, there’s nothing to hang your hat on for the guy.”

As a result, that personnel man buried Samuels as a free agent. Apparently, the Packers and the rest of the league did the same thing.

Samuels isn’t looking for sympathy or an excuse. In an interview Saturday night from Weston, Fla., he acknowledged that his two equally slow 40 times wrecked his chances to be drafted.

In the weeks leading to the NFL Draft, Samuels ran another 40 and said he was clocked in 4.50, a time not far off from the scout’s estimate. Samuels blamed himself for “going away from my technique” in setting up on the line in Indy. He also explained that a portion of his ultra-thorough medical examination about 36 hours before the 40 left him feeling ill-prepared.

“The biggest thing of all was my legs were a little dead,” Samuels said. “They made me do a stress test like a day and a half before I had to run. It consisted of me getting hooked up to a bunch of cords and having to ride a resistance bike for 30 or 40 minutes.

“They said when they tested me that I had an abnormal heartbeat. So, in order for me to even participate in any on-field event that Sunday, I had to do this stress test.”

Samuels isn’t wallowing in self-pity. “It happened, it’s over with,” he said. “We can’t change anything now. But a lot of people will get a chance to see that I’m not that slow.”

Like any astute undrafted player, Samuels was well aware the Packers didn’t draft a cornerback. He had studied their depth chart that shows Jaire Alexander and Kevin King as starters and Chandon Sullivan, Josh Jackson and Ka’dar Hollman still trying to establish themselves.

With offers from the Jets, Vikings, Rams, Chargers and Packers, he chose Green Bay over New York.

“I definitely feel like I was slighted,” Samuels said. “That’s going to put a chip on my shoulder. I thank the Packers for giving me an opportunity. Now it’s on me to take advantage of that opportunity.”

Described by one scout as “a good program kid,” Samuels played for two state championship teams at Charles W. Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, near Miami. His father Stanford coached him as a senior. Last season, the father served as a defensive analyst at Florida State under coach Willie Taggart. Presently, he’s coaching cornerbacks at Florida Atlantic.

Samuels turned down offers from Alabama, Georgia and Michigan to play for the Seminoles. His father played cornerback under coach Bobby Bowden before going on to a six-year career in the CFL.

As a freshman, Samuels played extensively as the No. 3 corner. He started at free safety in Taggart’s first season (2018) before starting at corner last season in a system that called for press-man coverage.

During the season, the 6-foot-1 Samuels played at about 183 pounds before hitting 187 at the combine and 195 now.

After a 7-6 finish in 2017, Jimbo Fisher’s final campaign, the Seminoles went 5-7 for their first losing season since Bowden’s debut in 1976. Nine games into a 6-7 season last year Taggart was fired.

Samuels, who declared a year early, wasn’t shy about suggesting that rock bottom in Tallahassee affected the draft status of him and other Seminoles.

“Definitely,” he said. “Everybody wants a winner. If you haven’t won, how can they say that you’re a winning guy? I can’t say that’s the whole reason behind it but I definitely feel that’s something that played a role in it. It was definitely not a Florida State season as you would recall it.”

According to PackersNews.com, 12 other players agreed to terms with the Packers either as a full-fledged free agent or a potential tryout player. Nothing’s official until a player passes a physical examination.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2020 18:00
Patriots are the only other team to not draft any. Was considered a sizable need for them too. does that mean anything?
I still think people are waaaay underselling the supplemental draft, and I find it almost likely that GB's strategy in part involves that. Like it wasn't plan A, but its a real plan B where usually plan B is more like plan Z.

By the time FA rolled around, it was quite clear that there was very real potential that the 2020 season was going to be cancelled. If not cancelled, there was going to be a severe impact. The NFL is far more able to roll with those punches (play without fans for example) than the NCAA.

Gute clearly used a maximize comp pick strategy in free agency (they will get 2, possibly 3), as every guy they signed didn't count in the formula.

Green Bay has to be more strategic about Covid than the average team, lacking a deep pockets owner. They likely hashed out the scenarios in far more depth than the average team out of necessity. It was pretty clear from the get go that:

- Live (in-person) sports were the first to go
- Live (in-person) sports will be the last to reopen
- Full reopening is not likely without a widely available vaccine
- A widely available vaccine is very unlikely in 2020
- A widely available vaccine is ridiculously unlikely before labor day
- A widely available vaccine has zero chance before the supplemental draft cutoff

College seniors face the very real chance that their draft stock today will be exactly what it would be in 2021. If they get an extra year of eligibility and take it, there will be double the senior class, and there will be recruits nipping at their playing time. They also will be a year older (23-24) by draft day, which hurts their stock a bit. It is an incredibly sound business decision to enter the supplemental draft, and its quite possible the NCAA won't yank their eligibility if they do it.

Put yourself in the shoes of player that got a draftable grade from the DAC but decided to go back to improve it, but now facing the very real chance the season is going to be cancelled. Which gamble do you make, supplimental draft, extra year of eligibility, or that the season is still going to go on?

Now think about GB for a minute. Teams gorged themselves on WRs this weekend. Most teams aren't going to need more (NE being the other outlier). GB is well positioned for the suppliemental draft WR market, given their competition will be relatively low and they will have extra picks so they can afford to be aggressive. They also happened to take the one guy that if everything goes wrong this season and they end up in the "we need to replace the QB" market, its already taken care of, so they don't need to be trigger shy because of that.

Just saying. Since I heard Gil Brandt mention the supplemental phenomenon likely coming, GB has basically played their cards exactly as you'd expect to for a team looking to use it to their advantage. They lacked urgency to fill holes far more than they have under Gute. GB often talks about liking guys on tape (or in person) from years prior, and follows HS recruits they like. They are well prepared for it. They also know who got draftable grades from the DAC but went back.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here are some WR names who are thought to maybe enter the Supplemental Draft:

But I still would be surprised if this becomes a major thing. I mean. I love, love, love Jaylen Waddle.
Wide Receivers

1. Jaylen Waddle, Alabama

2. Rondale Moore, Purdue

3. Devonta Smith, Alabama

4. Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State

5. Justyn Ross, Clemson

6. Tamorrion Terry, Florida State

7 Jamarr Chase, LSU

8. Marquez Stevenson, Houston
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Full list:
Delontae Scott, EDGE, SMU
Henry Black, DB, Baylor
Travis Bruffy, OL, Texas Tech
Darrell Stewart, WR, Michigan State
Jordan Jones, TE, Prairie View
Willington Previlon, DE, Rutgers
Patrick Taylor, RB, Memphis
Stanford Samuels, CB, Florida State
Tipa Galeai, DE, Utah State
Marc-Antoine Dequoy, DB, Canada
Zack Johnson, OL, North Dakota State
Kyrs Barnes, LB, UCLA
Will Sunderland, DB, Troy
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2020 00:31
Full list:
Henry Black, DB, Baylor
Kyrs Barnes, LB, UCLA
I'm glad to have at least 2 highly intriguing DBs (haven't looked at the other 2 yet)
I'm not sure what we'll do with a top UDFA RB given our circumstances
I need to look into our LB selection, given our circumstances.
Disappointed not to get any big DT bodies to push the group.

More thoughts will likely follow
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 27 Apr 2020 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
26 Apr 2020 22:29
Here are some WR names who are thought to maybe enter the Supplemental Draft:

But I still would be surprised if this becomes a major thing. I mean. I love, love, love Jaylen Waddle.
Wide Receivers

1. Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
2. Rondale Moore, Purdue
3. Devonta Smith, Alabama
4. Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State
5. Justyn Ross, Clemson
6. Tamorrion Terry, Florida State
7 Jamarr Chase, LSU
8. Marquez Stevenson, Houston
My understanding of the supplemental draft is that the 3-year eligibility rule would still apply. Thus all of these rising true juniors or redshirt sophomores are unlikely to be added. Devonta Smith, Tylan Wallace, and Tamorrion Terry I think are the only ones on that list that should be eligible, though I was checking those pretty late last night and feel like I missed someone. Tylan Wallace appeals to me.

But again, I don't want to count on anything until I actually see it unfold. I hear you, Waldo. I understand you. But it's not going to be part of my plan or mental conception until/unless some announcements tart getting made.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So here's the chance of each making the team, based upon their NAMES only:

Delontae Scott - We just drafted a Scott. I don't know if there's room for another Scott. Plus, I'm Scott. So how's that gonna work!
Henry Black - I'm not sure that Henry is a football name. Let him go by Hank and then we're talking.
Travis Bruffy - Sounds too much like Buffy. He's outta here.
Darrell Stewart - Stewart is a real good football name, as long as it's the LAST name and not the first name.
Jordan Jones - I'm getting confused by the Jones guys in Green Bay. Does this mean another would fit or not?
Willington Previlon - Sounds too much like Provolone. That might actually work in a cheesehead state. He has a chance! But then the Willington part?
Patrick Taylor - Yeah, Patrick is another one of those names. I think he should just go and play volleyball.
Stanford Samuels - Another first name that just doesn't work. If he drops the ford part, it might work out. (No offense to those pickup owners who should've bought a Tundra.)
Tipa Galeai - Have we ever had a Samoan (or whatever nationality that is) in Green Bay? I think it's time that we had one!
Marc-Antoine Dequoy - If he can dee-coy the opposition, he can remain.
Zack Johnson - Zack is one of the all time best sports names for guys. It works for football, golf, NASCAR, you name it.
Kyrs Barnes - Doesn't Kyrs belong to the Vikings? Like Lars? Hey, we need to feed the Vikes somebody for them to pick up, right?
Will Sunderland - This sounds like a guy who likes to write poetry. Not good on a football field.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Full list:
Henry Black, DB, Baylor
Kyrs Barnes, LB, UCLA
Isn't this an underwhelming list just in terms of sheer numbers?

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
28 Apr 2020 12:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
Full list:
Henry Black, DB, Baylor
Kyrs Barnes, LB, UCLA
Isn't this an underwhelming list just in terms of sheer numbers?
It is contingent on the 90 man roster. Until we cut that QB (forget his name already), we were at 90. Now we are at 89.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Apr 2020 12:14
It is contingent on the 90 man roster. Until we cut that QB (forget his name already), we were at 90. Now we are at 89.
I didn't realize our numbers were that high. That was my thought. Why are we not pushing up to 90, but it sounds like we did, so let's go.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly disappointed that we went with an UDFA QB as the 4th camp arm over Manny Wilkins. It makes literally zero difference long term, but I enjoyed Wilkins.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2020 12:33
Honestly disappointed that we went with an UDFA QB as the 4th camp arm over Manny Wilkins. It makes literally zero difference long term, but I enjoyed Wilkins.
Me too. Although, it could be a situation where he or his agent requested his release after drafting Love and still sitting behind Boyle.

Read More. Post Less.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

It makes sense that the supplemental draft will only be for seniors only plus any guys who would normally qualify for the supplemental draft in a normal covid19 free year.

As for the UDFA numbers, It normally looks alot bigger but because of covid19 there are no minicamps therefore no tryouts opportunities.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I have no idea what to expect from the supplemental draft, but coming away with a quality ILB and/or DL will drastically change my opinion of this offseason. Not holding my breath, though.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto