Packers Extend Elgton Jenkins 4/$68M

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Thoughts?

Was thinking he would have gotten more
5%
Perfect
59%
Ok with the money, would have waited till offseason
5%
A little more than I wanted
18%
We got fleeced
14%

Total votes: 22

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Re: Green Bay Packers News 2022

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Jenkins signing today

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
23 Dec 2022 09:35
Jenkins signing today
Good news!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Last edited by Pckfn23 on 23 Dec 2022 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wherever Elgton Jenkins lines up for the Green Bay Packers, he will be one of the highest paid players at either guard or tackle after he agreed Friday to a four-year, $68 million contract extension, a source told ESPN.

As part of the deal, which could be worth up to $74 million with incentives, the 26-year-old Jenkins will get a $24 million signing bonus, a source told ESPN.

The deal will keep him with the Packers through the 2026 season at an average of $17 million per year. It is expected to be signed Friday.

If he stays at guard, he will be the second-highest paid at the position behind only the Colts' Quenton Nelson ($20 million per year). If he moves to left tackle, where he played last season in place of David Bakhtiari, he would be among the top-10 highest paid.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Dec 2022 09:57
Is that Guty’s first FA signing for 2023?
:-)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

15th highest paid OL by contract average. Not sure what the guarantees are, but with a signing bonus of $24M it is sure to be far below 15th.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

All 11, not just starters.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Dec 2022 10:09

All 11, not just starters.
Guty deserves a lot of praise for that!
:-)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Rodgers is going to have to take a cut in pay for this to work, no way around that :rotf: :rotf:

hope this works out better then the Bahk contract, which I think it will, Jenkins is younger and has played well the last 4 games.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

SOMEBODY is going to go to make this work, yoop. I hope you realize that.

Like when we extended Davante Adams years ago and then cut Jordy soon thereafter and every low-info Packer fan had a heart attack.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
23 Dec 2022 10:53
SOMEBODY is going to go to make this work, yoop. I hope you realize that.

Like when we extended Davante Adams years ago and then cut Jordy soon thereafter and every low-info Packer fan had a heart attack.
It'll be someone on the down side of there career, If I had to guess, it'll be Bahktiari with a injury settlement.

BSA explained Rodgers cap dollars well, his cap money seems to be less then Aaron Donalds, others showed that he is 6th or 7th highest paid QB.

and I understand full well that having a QB on a cheap contract helps to pay other expensive players, again though I also under stand that QB is the most important player, and having a good one cost a lot of money, we'll see what happens this off season.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BSA wrote:
20 Dec 2022 14:27
Packers will most certainly sign Jenkins to an extension, its a core part of their draft & develop DNA.
Exactly as predicted.
And I don't say that to suggest I'm some sort of savant, I'm certainly not. Its just how the Packers operate and anybody paying any attention at all would have come to the same conclusion.

As far as paying OGs, that's in line with the current NFL- the shortest distance to the QB is up the middle and defenses are putting a lot of resources into that NT/DT area.

Previously, the Edge rushers were the biggest threat...but every year the time-to-throw gets shorter & shorter and the ball is gone by the time the Screamers come screaming around the edge. In- your- face pass rush is all the rage and stopping that requires top notch guards who can handle pass pro and run block well enough to knock the interior DLs on their arse. Repeatedly.

Great move by GB front office and completely predictable for a draft & develop team.
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I could have seen this either way.

On one end, I think Packers fans overstate Jenkins value. He is a top 10 guard in the league but he has never been an All Pro level guard in his career (though I think fans assume he is)

On the other end, he is one of Gute's best draft picks and those have been few and far between. You need to keep your successful draft picks.

Our offense is starting build a solid foundation around the QB. I think we may want to look at either a tackle or interior lineman next year. I like the idea of drafting a college team's best tackle on Day 3 with short arms to compete at RT or Guard and I also like the idea of drafting a true guard or Center to bring more competition to the room.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm not in horror of the deal. I think it's fine for both parties. It also helps that he has been playing really well again. I hope we keep him at LG and he just dominate that position.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Here's the top of the market by average annual for guards.

I'm actually quite okay with this, I would have guessed we would have done it for more to be honest.

image.png
image.png (125.18 KiB) Viewed 467 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
23 Dec 2022 11:08
BSA wrote:
Packers will most certainly sign Jenkins to an extension, its a core part of their draft & develop DNA.
Exactly as predicted.
And I don't say that to suggest I'm some sort of savant, I'm certainly not. Its just how the Packers operate and anybody paying any attention at all would have come to the same conclusion.

As far as paying OGs, that's in line with the current NFL- the shortest distance to the QB is up the middle and defenses are putting a lot of resources into that NT/DT area.

Previously, the Edge rushers were the biggest threat...but every year the time-to-throw gets shorter & shorter and the ball is gone by the time the Screamers come screaming around the edge. In- your- face pass rush is all the rage and stopping that requires top notch guards who can handle pass pro and run block well enough to knock the interior DLs on their arse. Repeatedly.

Great move by GB front office and completely predictable for a draft & develop team.

Yep, I was right there with you. I had kind of forgotten about that Nelson contract, was thinking top of the line guard was around 17 or 18, so I am cool with this.
BF004 wrote:
20 Dec 2022 16:53
BSA wrote:
Packers will most certainly sign Jenkins to an extension, its a core part of their draft & develop DNA. They'll find a middle ground on $$ - and while there is some merit to the "don't pay top guards top $$" comments- you do pay top guards who can also play OT and OC.

Packers have had a nice run of 4th/5th rounders that panned out on the OL - but you'll notice that Gute & Co have recently spent a 2nd on Myers, a 2nd on Jenkins and a 3rd on Rhyan as they put additional resources into the OL. They have to either protect an aging Rodgers or protect a young Love - and Gute has put additional emphasis on the OL.

Not worried one bit about Rodgers contract, it was designed to be a place holder and give him some leverage- it will not be the deal he plays on in 2023 and it won't impact Gary or Jenkins' deals.
I agree, Jenkins will be back, maybe as the top paid guard in the league, we do reward our successful draft picks and we rarely if ever get it at any sort of discount.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Could he have tested the market this offseason?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

He got top 10 tackle as a guard. And he isn't even currently a top 10 guard, has only made 1 pro bowl. Deals like this are why Gute will never lead the Packers to the SB, much less win one.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

very good LG, with ability to play else where in a pinch, imo he was cheated out of pro bowl his 2nd season, I'am fine with this contract.