Hackett Fired

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Hackett Fired

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I suspect Hackett is one of those guys who is a better coordinator than HC. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in GB as our OC again.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I was a skeptic of him as HC, but watching Denver, I just feel like the real issue is Wilson has stunk, and his bad play predates Hackett.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Russ is a coach killer and Pete Carrol/John Schneider knew it.
So they absolutely fleeced the broncos instead of letting Russ win the power struggle in Seattle.

Hackett was in over his head...like many 1st time HCs - but I think Hackett would still be the broncos coach if Russ wasn't such a crappy QB.
I never bought in to The Cult of Russ, but many did. He's a charlatan and self-promoter and that works fine in the media- but on the field- its put up or shut up and Russ did neither. Many of his own team mates saw through his charade, both in Seattle and now in Denver.

The broncos will try again, but they're not gonna get a shot at the Top HC candidates because those guys don't want to be saddled with Russ the player, Russ the media maven, Russ the cap killer. Somebody will give it a go, but I doubt it works much better until Russ is flushed.
IT. IS. TIME

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Some guys are good coordinators and not HC’s. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

They wanted to be rid of him. Fine. Fire him in 2 weeks. I just think it's classless to fire him with 2 games remaining in a lost season.

There will be all those things working against the organization, as [mention]BSA[/mention] so succinctly summarized, but now they'll also have the reputation of being the team that will hang you out to dry in humiliating fashion when things go south.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wow, that was quick.

Can’t imagine many had shorter tenures.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
26 Dec 2022 13:20
Wow, that was quick.

I just saw the list

Bill Belichick, Urban Meyer, George Allen, Bobby Petrino, Lou Holtz all had shorter stints as NFL HCs

One defensive guy who is now free: Ejiro Evero and he was one of MLFs choices at DC before hiring Barry
IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BSA wrote:
26 Dec 2022 13:23
BF004 wrote:
Wow, that was quick.

I just saw the list

Bill Belichick, Urban Meyer, George Allen, Bobby Petrino, Lou Holtz all had shorter stints as NFL HCs

One defensive guy who is now free: Ejiro Evero and he was one of MLFs choices at DC before hiring Barry
That thought crossed my mind, as well. I'd love to see MLF get a second shot at him.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Would love to have him back. Even better would be to have our current OC go back to OL where he was absolutely brilliant. Tough thing to pull off such a demotion though.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
26 Dec 2022 14:09
BSA wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Wow, that was quick.

I just saw the list

That thought crossed my mind, as well. I'd love to see MLF get a second shot at him.
That was the first thing I thought of. Every has done more with considerably less.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

BSA wrote:
26 Dec 2022 12:35
So they absolutely fleeced the broncos instead of letting Russ win the power struggle in Seattle.

Hackett was in over his head...like many 1st time HCs - but I think Hackett would still be the broncos coach if Russ wasn't such a crappy QB.
I never bought in to The Cult of Russ, but many did. He's a charlatan and self-promoter and that works fine in the media- but on the field- its put up or shut up and Russ did neither. Many of his own team mates saw through his charade, both in Seattle and now in Denver.

The broncos will try again, but they're not gonna get a shot at the Top HC candidates because those guys don't want to be saddled with Russ the player, Russ the media maven, Russ the cap killer. Somebody will give it a go, but I doubt it works much better until Russ is flushed.
The guy sleep with your girlfriend or something? He played great in Seattle. Great example of how much more important coaching is to talent. Meanwhile Carroll takes in a marginal roster QB in Geno Smith and has his QBR higher than Rodgers.

Russ was a better than average QB who was made great through great coaching. He is now playing poorly with poor coaching.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:

Um, the quality of play by Wilson over the years has been pretty good. Maybe not elite. But he sure burned Green Bay enough to know it. Even this year, he’s been getting hit as much or more than he ever did in Seattle. (And that was bad some years.) He is not alone in his bad play this year. Their offense simply is dreadful from top to bottom.

Now the other issues you mentioned, those were chatted up a bit for sure. If you have a good write up about it, please share. I’d actually be interested in reading it.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

AmishMafia wrote:
26 Dec 2022 14:18
BSA wrote:

The guy sleep with your girlfriend or something? He played great in Seattle. Great example of how much more important coaching is to talent. Meanwhile Carroll takes in a marginal roster QB in Geno Smith and has his QBR higher than Rodgers.

Russ was a better than average QB who was made great through great coaching. He is now playing poorly with poor coaching.
…The inverse of Baker Mayfield?

Lol.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

AmishMafia wrote:
26 Dec 2022 14:18
BSA wrote:

Pass rush pressure is a QB's worst enemy, and Denvers patch work OL is a sieve, on top of that the run game sucks, all stuff he had going for him in Seattle has been absent in Denver, no pressure, good QB.

Not to defend Hackett or any coach, just don't think coaching with Russell since going to Denver has been the biggest problem, injury and lack of talent seem imo to be main cause of his decline.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from Mike Klis

" Broncos first offered interim HC job to Ejiro Evero. He declined. He's going to be a HC candidate this offseason. Preferred to stay with defense. Rosburg then made sense as he can oversee entire operation while coordinators run each phase."
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The Sean Payton sweepstakes has begun. Firing a coach now has to do with beginning the recruiting process for him.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Broncos thought they were getting someone from the McVay/Shanahan tree (through MLF) but they were actually getting someone from the Doug Marrone tree. I was never a fan of Hackett before he came here, but while he was here I became a fan simply because we won a lot. So I'd probably bring him back in ASAP, like today, to see if he wants an advisory role or something. Things just worked when he was here. Idk why they worked, but at the very least he didn't screw anything up, which is more than can be said for a lot of coaches.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

texas wrote:
26 Dec 2022 15:55
Broncos thought they were getting someone from the McVay/Shanahan tree (through MLF) but they were actually getting someone from the Doug Marrone tree. I was never a fan of Hackett before he came here, but while he was here I became a fan simply because we won a lot. So I'd probably bring him back in ASAP, like today, to see if he wants an advisory role or something. Things just worked when he was here. Idk why they worked, but at the very least he didn't screw anything up, which is more than can be said for a lot of coaches.
It would be difficult. Previous boss now looking over the shoulder of his successor? I don't know their personalities, but it would likely be a bad atmosphere for the team.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BSA wrote:
Sounds like the Broncos are giving Evero every opportunity to take over as HC. They offered him the interim HC position, which he declined, but are also interviewing him to fill the full-time vacancy. He will interview for that.

That's not to say Broncos management, in their coaching search apparently led by part-owner Condoleezza Rice, wont go after candidates like Sean Payton and others but they're also showing Evero the respect he's earned by giving him his opportunity.

That, or he's simply a Rooney-rule fulfill-the-requirement check mark. :idn: