Black Monday - Coaching Changes

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Black Monday - Coaching Changes

Post by BF004 »

Known
Panthers - Rhule out
Denver - Hackett out
Colts - Reich out

Watch list
Cardinals - Kingsbury

Maybes
Texans - Smith
Raiders - McDaniels
Saints - Allen
?????

Feel like I gotta be missing someone.

Might be less vacancies than a normal year. I think around 6-7 are common, might only be 4 this year. Was 8 in 2019 when we got LaFleur

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
03 Jan 2023 15:53
Feel like I gotta be missing someone.
McVay has hinted about retirement, we'll see about that. He has network offers already
Ron Rivera- new owners on the horizon, we'll see how they view Riverboat Ron

Long shot

Mike McDaniels in Miami, Owner Steven Ross is a huge Michigan/Harbaugh fan and Miami has cratered recently.
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yes, had thought of Rivera when I started the thread and forgot by the end. 😛

McVay I didn’t think about, but where there is smoke, there is fire.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Gotta keep a close eye on our good friend Mike McCarthy depending on how Dallas does in the postseason and whether or not Payton is in play.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Bowles in Tampa? Belichick retire? Carroll? There could be a few shockers.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
03 Jan 2023 19:18
Gotta keep a close eye on our good friend Mike McCarthy depending on how Dallas does in the postseason and whether or not Payton is in play.
I could absolutely envision Jerruh canning MM following a WC round defeat.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
03 Jan 2023 19:40
I could absolutely envision Jerruh canning MM following a WC round defeat.
Its kind of crazy that MM and Payton are having such parallel careers...and one might replace the other.
Both coaches worked with HOF QBs and both enjoyed a fair amount of success, including a SB Title.
Both were hired into their 1st HC job the same year, 2006. Both are 59 years old and they were born a month apart.
Payton's reputation is awesome, he's one of the most sought after HCs in the league, but you can't say the same for MM

Yet their coaching records/results are remarkably similar:

MM... 155-96-2 for a .617 winning %
SP.... 152-89 for a .631 winning %
IT. IS. TIME

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Cause Payton spent year after year fighting to try to get Brees that second ring. MM was just...meh, Rodgers knew how to practice, they were good.

Edit: Oh, forgot this /s
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Trudge wrote:
04 Jan 2023 12:37
Cause Payton spent year after year fighting to try to get Brees that second ring. MM was just...meh, Rodgers knew how to practice, they were good.
Agree. Between the 2, Payton does seem to be viewed more favorably in general. I'd guess that's because he is more charismatic. But it is pretty interesting that when you look at the bottom line, their success is pretty comparable.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Payton is a lot better behind the microphone and has “the look”. Also his offenses have always had the reputation of being innovative and he’s known to be a good game planner.

While I agree I never feared the saints in the playoffs because I assumed Payton would get too “cute” and overthink the situation and lose, i this his reputation as an…offensive mind…is well earned.

Let’s not forget, Brees was not a HOFer before he came to Nola, and Nola was a little tougher place to win based on their history.

McCarthy’s reputation may be a little worse than deserved..and Payton may be a little overrated as a “head coach”, but I think he is the offensive guru that he is advertised to be. Not sure anybody thinks of McCarthy as a guru of anything
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Captain_Ben wrote:
04 Jan 2023 13:05
when you look at the bottom line, their success is pretty comparable.
indeed.
Payton had more non-winning seasons (6) including 3 seasons in a row they finished 7-9
MM never had 2 bad seasons in a row, he got fired during his 2nd consecutive poor season in 2018
MM took his team to the playoffs 9 times, exact same as Sean Payton.
MM took (2) QBs to the NFCCG, both Favre and Rodgers. We'll see what Payton can do with his next QB

2 great coaching careers and the next/final ? chapters for both men will go a long way towards their NFL legacy. If either one wins another Superb Owl with a different team - I think their chances for HOF are greatly enhanced.

I could see Sean Payton in a lot of different places in 2023, but the rumors I read said he returns to the Saints with Vic Fangio in tow.
Then it comes down to his choice for QB. Youngster or a vet ?
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Payton's side of the ball (offense) wasn't the issue in his losing seasons; their putrid defenses were (as evidenced by the fact that the D coordinators were canned). The O was still highly productive through those losing years, just couldn't outscore opponents due to awful defense.

McCarthy's side of the ball (also offense) was *bad* in his losing seasons with us. 2018, no Capers, Rodgers healthy all year, still sucked on O.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

And tbh, I don't accept Rodgers's injury as an excuse for the first bad season. If the roles were reversed, I'm sure Sean Payton would have put together an offense that Hundley could run way better than Mac did, who clearly didn't have a clue how to run the O without Aaron at QB.

I also liked how we traded for Deshonne Kizer thinking Mac couldn't have been the problem that year, had to be Hundley, then traded Hundley away even though he outperformed Kizer. Kizer was abysmal in the limited times we played him. Hundley was able to stick around here and there as a backup; Kizer never made a roster after he was with us.
—Magneto

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Lovie is gone.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Well now Joe Barry is toast, even though it's not his fault we can't score 21 on the league's worst defense.
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Labrev wrote:
08 Jan 2023 22:57
Well now Joe Barry is toast, even though it's not his fault we can't score 21 on the league's worst defense.
Watch us fire Barry and hire Lovie Smith. Tampa-2, baby! :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I just want us to fire somebody. Gutekunst probably deserves it the most out of anybody, and he probably doesn't deserve it overall. But this season was pathetic and weak and somebody needs to get fired. So I vote for him.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
08 Jan 2023 23:22
I just want us to fire somebody. Gutekunst probably deserves it the most out of anybody, and he probably doesn't deserve it overall. But this season was pathetic and weak and somebody needs to get fired. So I vote for him.
One losing season after back to back 13 win seasons and somebody has to get canned? I'm sorry but I don't see it happening (unless they finally get rid of Barry).

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I’m sick to death of LaFleur looking like he’s on the verge of tears while we get bounced once again by a team we shouldn’t have. If anyone needs to go, it’s him IMO. He doesn’t have control over his teams. Idc about winning percentage at Lambeau or whatever the stat is. He’s lost in the biggest moments when the team needs him the most.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lovie Smith out in Houston