VERY early: Building the 2023 Packers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

VERY early: Building the 2023 Packers

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yeah, I know the 2022 Packer season just ended. But I wanted to post this while it seems to be hovering in my mind a lot.

Regarding our WR corps, it seems that is going to possibly be the most important position group for the 2023 Packers, at least as far as which group must show the most improvement over the 2022 squad. I think this is true, whether Aaron Rodgers is a 2023 Packer or not.

Our WR group will most likely include Watson, Doubs, and Toure. Whether or not it also includes Cobb and/or Lazard, we will see.

Above all, I would love to see us add a veteran and dependable WR. Some are floating the name of DeAndre Hopkins, assuming we fit him in cap-wise. I think he’s worth it. But perhaps a different guy would also open up the field.

I’m not against using a round 1 or 2 draft pick for a WR also. In fact, I really favor that, especially if we do not find a FA WR veteran. The key point here is to (finally) land a dynamic WR and/or TE for our offense. This must become a very urgent priority, I think. More than ever.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Start the build with bringing in Sean Payton as Head Coach. And a suitable replacement for Gutey. Cuz right now the dog ain't huntin' too good.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
17 Jan 2023 17:23
Start the build with bringing in Sean Payton as Head Coach. And a suitable replacement for Gutey. Cuz right now the dog ain't huntin' too good.
It's a bit dated, but explains why Bree's became a great QB, Payton new how to convert the original Bill Walsh WCO into even more potent passing attack.

I liked him over McCarthy in 06, not sure he's as good any more though, depending on receiver talent Payton used every inch of the field in his passing attack schemes

ahhh, forgot Bleacher report wont allow copy and paste of there articles, easy to find though by just goggling Sean Payton

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
I don't think you fire a HC if he has one down year after back to back 13 win seasons. And do we really want to relinquish a first round draft pick to NO to get Payton?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
18 Jan 2023 10:43
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
I don't think you fire a HC if he has one down year after back to back 13 win seasons. And do we really want to relinquish a first round draft pick to NO to get Payton?
no on both counts, Lafleur uses basically the same schemes as Shanahan, and our offense is designed the same way, why bring in a coach who's schemes favor pass so much over the run, we should improve upon what coach Lafleur needs to make what he does more successful imho.

Good chance that the QB who would have thrived under a Sean Payton wont even be a Packer next season, instead we have Love who will need the protection of a strong run concept approach, we got the right coach, mostly we need to improve or get a second year jump from the talent we already have.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Trade Rodgers to LV for their next 2 first round picks. Draft a WR and S in the first round this year. Then focus heavily on offensive and defensive lines in the draft and free agency. Also, I'm all for drafting a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm all for keeping Jones, but it would be nice to have a 3 man rotation as well as grooming Jones' eventual replacement. And yeah, find a veteran QB in case Love flops.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The best course of action is to probably tear down instead of build. Two straight season we have fallen short of where we were. We went from NFC championship, to divisional round exit, to 3rd place in the division. This team isnt on the upswing. The drafts tell the story of why we are where we are. On top of that constant pushing of dead money from bad contracts that should have been cut earlier or contracts that should have never been made still haunt us.

I had said in my mocks for quite some time the Packers needed to come up with a two year plan and get their cap right. They would absorb a ton of dead money the first year and probably be as competitive as this year but you would have money and picks to operate the next season. We just keep on restructuring and pushing bad money.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am definitely in the camp in the camp of rip the bandaid.

I would offer a trade of Bakh and Rodgers as a package deal to sweeten things. The players would like it and the team would like it. I would then start cutting the fat where I can and defer as little of dead cap into future years as possible.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Acrobat wrote:
18 Jan 2023 10:54
Trade Rodgers to LV for their next 2 first round picks. Draft a WR and S in the first round this year. Then focus heavily on offensive and defensive lines in the draft and free agency. Also, I'm all for drafting a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm all for keeping Jones, but it would be nice to have a 3 man rotation as well as grooming Jones' eventual replacement. And yeah, find a veteran QB in case Love flops.
Actually, Patrick Taylor looks like a solid RB3. He runs with some power, almost as well as Dillon. Yeah, bring in another guy if needed. But Taylor will, I think, surprise some folks if he gets enough opportunities.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I truly think that Guty intends to keep Rodgers. No trade on the table; at least not this year. If Rodgers wants to also play in 2024, now that’s a different cookie!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Jan 2023 14:03
Acrobat wrote:
18 Jan 2023 10:54
Actually, Patrick Taylor looks like a solid RB3. He runs with some power, almost as well as Dillon. Yeah, bring in another guy if needed. But Taylor will, I think, surprise some folks if he gets enough opportunities.
I agree, but I'd rather have another potential stud in that RB room, especially with Rodgers gone. If Jones is gone in 2024, I don't like the combo of Dillon/Taylor whatsoever.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 Jan 2023 11:31
I am definitely in the camp in the camp of rip the bandaid.

I would offer a trade of Bakh and Rodgers as a package deal to sweeten things. The players would like it and the team would like it. I would then start cutting the fat where I can and defer as little of dead cap into future years as possible.
are you guilty of texting and posting while operating a automobile :lol:

for what we could possibly get for these two age ed vets it's cost affective just to keep them, Bakh like Rodgers has one maybe two good to great seasons left in them, and It seems Guty wants to roll the dice and keep as many players again if possible and shoot for a owl again.

I like that plan because tomorrow is promised to no one, as Eastwood would say, and predicting the future is folly only people your age entertain :lol:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
LaCoach lacks the ability to inspire greatness. He's missing the intangibles needed to consistently motivate play execution and overall excellence. Not really sure the players are ALL IN with LaCoach. No are the fans ALL IN with LaCoach. Time to cut bait I think.

Maybe I'm wrong and y'all can have fun reminding me this time next year.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
18 Jan 2023 10:53
Pugger wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
no on both counts, Lafleur uses basically the same schemes as Shanahan, and our offense is designed the same way, why bring in a coach who's schemes favor pass so much over the run, we should improve upon what coach Lafleur needs to make what he does more successful imho.

Good chance that the QB who would have thrived under a Sean Payton wont even be a Packer next season, instead we have Love who will need the protection of a strong run concept approach, we got the right coach, mostly we need to improve or get a second year jump from the talent we already have.
Nope Yooper. Sorry. We do NOT have the right coach. Holmgren was the right coach. McC was the right coach for awhile ......... now look at McC, he's thriving even working under Jerrah. Sherman was the wrong coach. Ray Rhodes was the wrong coach. The coaches after Curly and before Vince were the wrong coaches. If Bart, Forrest and Lindy were the wrong coaches, then how can LaCoach be the right coach? That's how I see it anyway.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You don't fire a coach for going 8-9 after 3, 13 win seasons. If next year is an unexpected bust, then yes, possibly, but not this off season. That's how you become the Texans and Browns...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 18 Jan 2023 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Jan 2023 14:41
Pugger wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
LaCoach lacks the ability to inspire greatness. He's missing the intangibles needed to consistently motivate play execution and overall excellence. Not really sure the players are ALL IN with LaCoach. No are the fans ALL IN with LaCoach. Time to cut bait I think.

Maybe I'm wrong and y'all can have fun reminding me this time next year.
He had 3 excellent years. I would like to see how he does without Rodgers undermining the team chemistry. With Love we will again be able to have a QB with an accurate deep ball which should open other things up.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The front office and head coach sink or swim with Jordan Love.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
18 Jan 2023 15:07
If they survive that long.
:-)

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
I am more than ok, excited even, with giving them all - GM, coach, and player - that opportunity.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

APB wrote:
19 Jan 2023 10:29
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
I am more than ok, excited even, with giving them all - GM, coach, and player - that opportunity.
100%. Let's see a QB run what ML wants to run.

As far as building. I always emphasize trenches and getting after QBs. DL came on late with Clark Wyatt and stayton. Add another piece always try to get better on the OL

If Robinson is there at 15 I take him. He's the best back in 15 years easy. Plus he's a wr make teams commit to stopping the run and then use the speed of the young wrs.

I don't think this team is light-years off. Add some talent and play within the system.