Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Green Bay Packers News 2023

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... ent-class/
It’s going to be an interesting offseason once again for the Green Bay Packers. In addition to not knowing what is going to happen at the quarterback position just yet, they again are going to be limited in what they can do in free agency.

Over the Cap currently has the Packers at about $20 million over the projected 2023 salary cap. In terms of creating cap space via roster cuts, the Packers are limited in what they can do, especially if they want to remain competitive, which I believe is the case, regardless of who the quarterback is.

So in order to get out of the red while also having enough cap space to function, as Brian Gutekunst alluded to when speaking to reporters last Friday, there again will be a number of contract restructures that will lower the 2023 cap hits for several players, but push those cap charges into future seasons.

I certainly wouldn’t expect any big free agent signings because of their limited spending power, and with what I’m guessing is very few, if any, roster cuts, this team could look quite similar in 2023, especially if Rodgers gets his way with players like Allen, Lazard, Marcedes Lewis, and Randall Cobb returning. If Green Bay is going to bounce back from an 8-9 season, internal development will be a must.

With that said, before the Packers can begin entertaining the idea of bringing in new faces once free agency begins, they have 17 of their own free agents to make decisions on–some, of course, easier than others.

There are three free agent classes, unrestricted, restricted, and exclusive rights. This offseason, the Packers’ free agent class fits into either the unrestricted or restricted categories. An unrestricted free agent is the most well-known kind, where the player has the ability to negotiate a contract with any team and can sign wherever they choose.

A restricted free agent (RFA), on the other hand, is a player with three accrued NFL seasons, and he has a few, well, restrictions in free agency. The Packers have the ability to place a first-round, second-round, original-round, or right-of-first-refusal tender on their restricted free agents. If a second-round tender is placed on a player, for example, that RFA can still negotiate with other teams, and if they receive an offer, the current team – or the Packers, in this situation – would be able to either match the contract or decline and the new team would owe Green Bay a second-round pick since that was the tender placed on the RFA.

These RFA contracts are one-year deals, and the player will become an unrestricted free agent the following offseason. Their salaries are predetermined by the CBA and are dependent on which tender they receive. For some context, in 2022, a first-round tender came with a contract of $5.562 million.

On top of all of that, several of the Packers’ pending unrestricted free agents have voids on their contracts. In short, this is a bookkeeping measure that allowed Green Bay to add on “fake” years to the contract as part of restructures, so they could lower the current year’s cap hit. However, those added-on years don’t actually extend the life of the contract, and when it’s up, all of the cap charges that were pushed into those voided years come due, and in this case, will be carried on the 2023 salary cap, even if that player is playing elsewhere. The only way to avoid this is to come to a new contract agreement, which would then allow the Packers to spread those cap hits out over the contract term.

So now that we have all of that out of the way, let’s take a closer look at each of the Packers’ 17 unrestricted or restricted free agents this offseason.

Unrestricted free agents

Adrian Amos (Voided Contract)

Amos has been one of the most steady and reliable players, not only on this Packers’ defense during his tenure in Green Bay but at the safety position throughout the NFL. However, 2022 was certainly a down year for him, with missed tackles and coverage breakdowns on the back end (which certainly wasn’t all on Amos) occurring more often than usual. The safety position for the Packers in 2023 is very thin, with only Darnell Savage and Tariq Carpenter under contract.

Dean Lowry (Voided Contract)

I think Lowry gets more grief than he should. The depth of the interior defensive line room over the last few years forced him into a larger role than what he probably should have had, and for a player who is more of a run defender, he was asked to get after the quarterback quite a bit. The Packers need to add to this position in the offseason, but on a cheaper deal and with a reduced role, I do think re-signing Lowry makes sense.

Mason Crosby (Voided Contract)

This is a tough one. Crosby was still very good throughout the season on field goal attempts, but it’s clear he doesn’t have the same power he once did. 50-yard attempts at Lambeau late in the season were barely making it over the cross-bar, and he also had one of the highest kickoff return rates in the NFL.

Marcedes Lewis (Voided Contract)

Lewis is still an elite blocking tight end and a key part of the Packers’ run game. I have to think that if he wants to return, Green Bay will happily welcome him back.

Allen Lazard

I would guess that the Packers would want Lazard back, given his impact both on the passing game and as a run blocker. We know he’s not a No. 1 wide receiver, but he’s reliable. With that said, with the wide receiver market exploding last offseason, it is very possible that Lazard will be out of the Packers’ price range.

Robert Tonyan (Voided Contract)

Of the Packers’ tight ends, Tonyan was the only consistent threat in the passing game. However, this position very much lacked playmaking ability. Although Tonyan was reliable, he ranked 35th out of 43 tight ends in yards per catch last season, although in his defense, to the degree that was impacted by how he was utilized. Getting more dynamic at this position should be high on the to-do list, but Tonyan is one of the names that Rodgers mentioned he wanted back.

Jarran Reed (Voided Contract)

The play of the interior defensive line, against both the run and the pass, was a big reason behind the defense’s success at the end of the season, and Reed’s emergence was a key part of that. He recorded eight pressures in the final three games and five stops per PFF. I know Green Bay just drafted Devonte Wyatt in the first round but adding more high-end talent to this position, that for much of the season, struggled against the run and creating pressure will be important. Whether or not Reed is back will, of course, depend on contract value, but also what other options are out there for the Packers.

Randall Cobb (Voided Contract)

Follow the flow chart:

Is Aaron Rodgers back? Yes. Then so is Randall Cobb.

Is Aaron Rodgers back? No. Then neither is Randall Cobb.

Dallin Leavitt and Eric Wilson

Let’s put these two together since their situations are similar. Both were core special teams players and played key roles in the Packers’ turnaround on special teams. This past offseason, Gutey mentioned that the Packers took a different approach on special teams by prioritizing special teams-specific additions. Fast forward to last Friday, and Gutey said that the Packers would take a similar approach this offseason. Would guess that Green Bay would like to have both players back if they could.

Rudy Ford

Ford was a difference-maker as a flier on special teams, and started to see regular playing time at safety during the second half of the season. He was a turnover magnet and a very willing tackle. With the safety room lacking depth, and his ability to contribute on special teams, I would guess that Ford is back.

Corey Ballentine

Ballentine ended up playing 106 special teams snaps for the Packers, all of which came in Week 10 and beyond after being promoted from the practice squad. If the Packers were happy with his play, Ballentine would be an inexpensive contributor to the special teams unit in 2023.

Keisean Nixon

For the first time since I don’t even know when, the Packers had a game-changing presence on special teams. Nixon was an All-Pro and the best kick returner in the NFL. I don’t care how; just find a way to re-sign him.

Justin Hollins

Hollins was a sneaky in-season addition for the Packers. In six games with the Packers, Hollins logged nine pressures, including three sacks. Once again, the edge rusher depth is a concern entering this offseason.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Love that commentary about Cobb. As Rodgers goes, so does Cobb. I love Cobb and all. But his game is limited. We need a slot guy who produces more than a few catches against zone defenses. What did he have in 2022, about 30+ catches? That isn’t enough.

Also, I’m wondering if the Pack would let one major player go, in an effort to keep Lazard. You know, with the cap space…

I 100% agree about keeping Lewis. The guy has a specific role and he does it very well. Throw in a few sneaky catches too and you have a guy who is very affordable.

100% on board with doing whatever it takes to keep Nixon. No, make that 150%.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

As for Rodgers’ comment about being able to play at MVP level (as in not Super Bowl level, as some are saying), I say, so what! The point he was making is that he can still play very well. Good grief.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Jan 2023 14:22
As for Rodgers’ comment about being able to play at MVP level (as in not Super Bowl level, as some are saying), I say, so what! The point he was making is that he can still play very well. Good grief.
we tried to replace Cobb, his replacement was also the highest pick we'd used on a WR in ages, he failed and we brought Cobb back, cheap insurance, but he just can't stay healthy, pretty sure I read he had had the best catch to target ratio on the team.

agree, all that stuff that Gronk said concerning MVP and playing for a SB was mostly Gronk hunting for head lines, now he's crying about his old team the Patriots, Gronk is really all about himself and no better then Rodgers.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I'll just say it. I fear that Nixon might be a one year wonder. He doesn't look particularly quick or fast out there. Can't argue with his results, but it was a small sample size. That being said, this is only a fear of mine, not my overall outlook, and if I had to bet, I'd bet on him being actually good and not a one year wonder.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
19 Jan 2023 15:40
I'll just say it. I fear that Nixon might be a one year wonder. He doesn't look particularly quick or fast out there. Can't argue with his results, but it was a small sample size. That being said, this is only a fear of mine, not my overall outlook, and if I had to bet, I'd bet on him being actually good and not a one year wonder.
You’re insane. Nixon has speed, confidence, and instincts. Not to mention he’s a good dime DB too. I could see him developing as a CB if he sticks around a bit kinda like Sam Shields.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Jan 2023 16:16
texas wrote:
You’re insane. Nixon has speed, confidence, and instincts. Not to mention he’s a good dime DB too. I could see him developing as a CB if he sticks around a bit kinda like Sam Shields.
he doesn't look fast, maybe because no one is around him once he jets past everyone, runs 4.4, thats fast enough.

the difference between Nixon and say a Rodgers or most other returners is that Nixon recognizes how his blocking is forming up, has the patience to allow that to happen, and then commits to it, Rodgers simply took off as soon as he caught the ball, unless he put the ball on the ground.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
texas wrote:
Let's hope so.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
19 Jan 2023 15:07
Scott4Pack wrote:
we tried to replace Cobb, his replacement was also the highest pick we'd used on a WR in ages, he failed and we brought Cobb back, cheap insurance, but he just can't stay healthy, pretty sure I read he had had the best catch to target ratio on the team.

agree, all that stuff that Gronk said concerning MVP and playing for a SB was mostly Gronk hunting for head lines, now he's crying about his old team the Patriots, Gronk is really all about himself and no better then Rodgers.
Isn't Gronk trying to get approved USAA insurance? :rotf:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
texas wrote:
Completely agree. Especially so with his instincts. He has an innate ability to read and set up blocks on the fly which, for a guy as inexperienced as he is, makes him special.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
If he can return to MVP level we'll be back in the playoffs again. The million $ question is can he play like that in the post season?

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Yep, it’s nothing new. Rodgers has been talking about his legacy from day 1. He cares a lot about his stats and passer rating almost to the detriment of the team in his early years. He demands that the front office consult him regarding personnel decisions.

Rodgers wants everything done in his own ego centric way. I’m sick of the guy. He can’t win the big games anymore. He holds on to the ball too long instead of hitting the open receiver. As I’m watching the playoffs, I see all these QBs consistently getting rid of the ball quickly. And hitting the wrs on the run.

Everything is about him. I think half of the team is sick of his antics. Send him packing…please.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Worst defeat in the history of the Packers...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Jan 2023 00:34
Worst defeat in the history of the Packers...
Thanks for that... :puke:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Andy Herman's Final Grades of the 2023 season (cumulative)

*please don't spend the next 7 pages typing he's a blogging warrior because his results hurts your feelings*

Highest Graded Player - Aaron Jones 5.5
Highest Graded Player per snape - Rashan Gary (and not even close)
Most Improved Graded Player from 2021 - Josiah Deguara
Most Regressed Graded Player from 2021 - Aaron Rodgers

Also keep in mind, Herman does not give a negative grade on the play if Rodgers is pressured on the play, no receivers are open, etc. He watches All 22 tape and negative grades are given when a play is available and the player doesn't do anything with it or something bad with it.

Also keep in mind if the receiver drops the ball but it is a good throw and ball placement, Rodgers receives a very high grade on the play. Examples include the Week 1 pass to Christian Watson or the pass to Doubs in the EZ vs NE. Both balls were dropped but Rodgers got graded as if they were TDs.
Last edited by go pak go on 20 Jan 2023 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2023 06:36
Andy Herman's Final Grades of the 2023 season (cumulative)

*please don't spend the next 7 pages typing he's a blogging warrior because his results hurts your feelings*

Highest Graded Player - Aaron Jones 5.5
Highest Graded Player per snape - Rashan Gary (and not even close)
Most Improved Graded Player from 2021 - Josiah Deguara
Most Regressed Graded Player from 2021 - Aaron Rodgers

Also keep in mind, Herman does not give a negative grade on the play if Rodgers is pressured on the play, no receivers are open, etc. He watches All 22 tape and negative grades are given when a play is available and the player doesn't do anything with it or something bad with it.
Yeah but Rodgers can’t help that his WR’s do 5-7 passes per game!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

well since Herman said it, I must rethink my evaluation of Aaron Rodgers, well at least I know where this zero sum grade stuff came from, I've felt for a long time that Herman can't stand Rodgers, the person, I have agreed with that, sure he does a good job of disguising or acting neutral, but imo this grade is over the top, and if in fact he's right, which I don't think he is, then why do Guty or Lafleur get a pass, there the ones who allowed him to continue playing and ruin the season.

Rashan Gary +4.40
Kenny Clark +4.25

these grades don't show Gary being the best defender by a long shot, even though I tend to agree, one reason though is that it's more difficult for a DC to compromise the ability of a edge rusher the way he did all season to our secondary players.

I take your post as a way to shut me up GPG, ya even asked me please not to respond, thing is Herman is nothing more then a OPINION former, and I'am not as sold in as you are.

why not just list the players by position with there grade, instead of his attempt to muddle it up with this best player by position, worst player by position, or any of the other sub titles he used, just give us the player grades, we can figure out the rest on our own, if Love was so much better then Rodgers, why wasn't he the guy getting the snaps, why do Lafleur or Guty still have a job?

and anyone that refutes the 5 to 7 dropped passes I called out in the first 5 to 6 games of this season, or the to many that continued as the season progressed do it in attempt to just blame Rodgers, it was beyond obvious it happened.

how can I take his grades seriously? he has Mercedes Lewis as our 2nd best offensive player, did Lupe see these grades yet :thwap: :rotf: ( actually Lewis rarely does have a negative play)

We all wanted to see more of Love this year, and we probably will next year, one way or another.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
20 Jan 2023 09:12
Rashan Gary +4.40
Kenny Clark +4.25

these grades don't show Gary being the best defender by a long shot, even though I tend to agree, one reason though is that it's more difficult for a DC to compromise the ability of a edge rusher the way he did all season to our secondary players.
His grades are a bit weird because they are cumulative. If Gary hadn't been hurt and he played at the same level all year his grade would have been more like 8 or 9. The way Gary is best defender by a long shot is by taking his grade for 2022 divided by games played. So he earned the highest grade per game is the statistical way of reconciling that statement.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Blogger Andy's grades mean very little to me.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23