Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Labrev
Reactions:

Rodgers Watch 2023

Post by Labrev »

Trade rumors picking up steam. It will be interesting to hear what Rodgers says on McAfee today.

A new update, Packers rumored to only be considering trading Rodgers to the AFC:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/br ... b295521789
Last edited by Labrev on 24 Jan 2023 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2023 12:26
It will be interesting to hear what Rodgers says on McAfee today.
Is he still going on there? I think last year once our season wrapped, he was done for the year.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
Trade rumors picking up steam. It will be interesting to hear what Rodgers says on McAfee today.

A new update, Packers rumored to only be considering trading Rodgers to the AFC:
This would be so dumb. Just trade him to the highest bidder. Don't hamstring yourself to out of conference.

If there is anything we have learned from the Favre saga it is that it doesn't matter in the long run if he plays us and beats us. The more important thing is the Packers in the long run are set up for and is successful. If the Packers are good...who cares on anything else.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2023 12:39
Labrev wrote:

This would be so dumb. Just trade him to the highest bidder. Don't hamstring yourself to out of conference.
I would prefer trading him in conference. Preferably to the Vikings.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2023 12:39
I agree, but I also had the thought that this could lead an NFC team that wants him (namely SanFran, who make sense and wanted him bad not long ago) to sweeten the deal.

And [mention]NCF[/mention] I don't know tbh.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

To be honest, I am just ready for this whole saga to be over with. As a Packer fan, we have been ridiculously lucky with Favre and Rodgers, but nearly a decade of my life has been the "Will he, or won't he", or "Trade watch" offseasons. I love Rodgers, and would welcome him back, but would be happy if he moved on and we could watch Love.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

doesn't matter where we trade him, as long as he's playing football on this planet some Packers fans will smear the guy or say he's a dirt bag dirty rotten SOB (which I think is actually true to some extent) whatever, this group deserves to have a different QB to complain about.

marks the end of another era of GBP history for us either way.

watch though, all smoke, no fire, and he's back for another go around.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
24 Jan 2023 13:01
To be honest, I am just ready for this whole saga to be over with. As a Packer fan, we have been ridiculously lucky with Favre and Rodgers, but nearly a decade of my life has been the "Will he, or won't he", or "Trade watch" offseasons. I love Rodgers, and would welcome him back, but would be happy if he moved on and we could watch Love.
Yea, pretty much 3 straight drafts have been just overshadowed with drama. Warranted or not.

Love Aaron, we are better with him. But given decisions that have already been made (contracts, cap, draft picks). We aren’t going to be competing for a SB next year. Probably gets even a further struggle in ‘24.

Just the best move now to gather as much capital you can from Aaron. Get the cap back in order, see what a hand picked QB looks like in LaFleur’s scheme. We’ll be competitive regardless of QB (also won’t be competitive regardless of QB) until we fix the culture of our ST and D. ST seems maybe headed in the right track. D just needs to change its attitude, confidence, culture.

Anyways. QB isn’t even our biggest concern. But either way. Im prepared to move on and I hope we get a kings ransom. Guessing I’d expect value similar to Davante, but hoping for much more.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m sure that Rodgers on McAfee’s show today will add fuel to the fire for some. But again, I think it’s a nothingburger. Some say he’s teasing a restructured deal. Maybe. But he said nothing that is concrete or projecting as planning for him or the Packers.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we should just develop a trend of flopping QB's every 7 or 8 years like we do feature wide receivers, know what I mean ? :rotf:

No way the FO will want to trade him to a NFC North team, what Favre did with the Vikings probably still ticks a lot of uppity up's Packer Brasso's, no repeats of that can possibly happen if they have a say.

IT seems the Jets have the most to give and pay, though while it will cost us 60 m next year, a trade I don't think would cost his new team as much, it would be a whole new contract, right?
outside of the North Division and we may never even play him the rest of his career, as long as we don't trade him to Minny or Detroit, who cares, take the loot and scoot, we don't have to worry about Chicago, they hate Rodgers worse then we do. :kaboom:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I think he is going to come back to the Packers for 2023. I thought that same thing each of the last 2 seasons, despite everyone else thinking the opposite, and I was correct, and I think I am going to be correct again and all of yall will be wrong again like you were last season.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jan 2023 13:43
We’ll be competitive regardless of QB (also won’t be competitive regardless of QB) until we fix the culture of our ST and D. ST seems maybe headed in the right track. D just needs to change its attitude, confidence, culture.

Anyways. QB isn’t even our biggest concern. But either way.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2023 15:05
I think he is going to come back to the Packers for 2023. I thought that same thing each of the last 2 seasons, despite everyone else thinking the opposite, and I was correct, and I think I am going to be correct again and all of yall will be wrong again like you were last season.
I haven’t seen anyone predict he’ll be traded that I recall. Someone have desires. Not sure I remember many last year.

I was in the same ball park, never really thought he’d go anywhere else last few off seasons.

This year I’m indifferent on expectation, however.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Sounds like he said he's be willing to restructure his contract to return.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Acrobat wrote:
24 Jan 2023 15:36
All a restructure is going to do is prolong the cap pain. His "willingness" to restructure doesn't do him any harm and certainly doesn't help the Packers, at least long term. I guess he's open to a restructure to allow going "all-in" once again, bringing all his bro's back, and really, really screwing the Packers future cap.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Acrobat wrote:
24 Jan 2023 15:36
That’s the one thing I’ve always predicted, his contract is getting redone, stay, trade or retire.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

My ignorance leads me to recollect that cap hits are a result of money that has already been paid, not money that would be contracted to be paid in the future. Is that not correct?

Either way, Rodgers indicated that he believes that a restructure would be necessary for him to stay. That isn’t to say that a restructure WILL occur, or that he WILL be traded. Only conjecture on his part.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
24 Jan 2023 15:40
All a restructure is going to do is prolong the cap pain. His "willingness" to restructure doesn't do him any harm and certainly doesn't help the Packers, at least long term.
Disagree.
Myself and others here have said for a year now - that deal was structured to give Rodgers leverage in case they wanted to trade or cut him.
Both parties knew 100 % that if he played in GB in 2023 - the deal would be re-done. His future deal will actually provide cap relief to the Packers in both the short term and the long term. That was always the plan and Gute even commented on it while he was in London.
(Reporter asked him how they would handle the Rodgers $$ moving forward, if he retired)

Even if Rodgers is traded, that place-holder deal will be re-done. Also, Ken Ingalls can kiss my ample ass
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
24 Jan 2023 18:17
APB wrote:
24 Jan 2023 15:40
All a restructure is going to do is prolong the cap pain. His "willingness" to restructure doesn't do him any harm and certainly doesn't help the Packers, at least long term.
Disagree.
Myself and others here have said for a year now - that deal was structured to give Rodgers leverage in case they wanted to trade or cut him.
Both parties knew 100 % that if he played in GB in 2023 - the deal would be re-done. His future deal will actually provide cap relief to the Packers in both the short term and the long term. That was always the plan and Gute even commented on it while he was in London.
(Reporter asked him how they would handle the Rodgers $$ moving forward, if he retired)

Even if Rodgers is traded, that place-holder deal will be re-done. Also, Ken Ingalls can kiss my ample ass
Why would Aaron Rodgers sign a new deal that pays him less?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."