New York Jets and Trade Compensation

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

New York Jets and Trade Compensation

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Jets will go ‘all out’ to trade for Packers’ Aaron Rodgers
Last week from Shrine Bowl practice, PFN reported that the New York Jets will make a move to acquire Aaron Rodgers in a trade this offseason. That has been further confirmed here in Mobile. In fact, one source said that general manager Joe Douglas is admitting to people in the league the franchise will go all out in the attempt to bring Rodgers to Gang Green. And it only makes sense. The team is in desperate need of a signal-caller, with Zach Wilson looking more and more like a draft bust. Factor in owner Woody Johnson’s comments not long ago that he’d be willing to pay whatever is necessary for a quarterback, and it all adds up.
The Packers will want at least two 1st round picks in a trade for QB Aaron Rodgers, Peter King shares in his column. King adds that Jets owner Woody Johnson would happily pay that price. The question remains if Rodgers even wants to play for NY.
I'll admit that I don't buy the idea that GB has no leverage. Trade him to the Jets. If he refuses to play or accept the deal, then he can retire. Oh, not retiring? Then you are traded to the Jets. Repeat, as much as needed. Jordan Love is the starting QB. Rodgers can accept a trade or retire. Yes, that is a dick move that forces him out. It is business; sometimes you have to be a dick. No different than Lombardi immediately trading away players that signed with an agent during that era.

Rodgers has an enormous ego. Douglas, Hackett, and Woody Johnson will feed his selfdom* to get him to play for NJ - and Rodgers will love it.

As a side note, NJ needs a LT too. Bak and AR for two 1sts, a 2nd, and WIlson as a back up to love. Wilson is very cheap. Or no Wilson and another young player or draft compensation. It is time to clear the books of the over 29s who were paid for past performance and won't be part of the 2025 World Champion GB Packers.

*Mod edit

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Feb 2023 09:57
Last week from Shrine Bowl practice, PFN reported that the New York Jets will make a move to acquire Aaron Rodgers in a trade this offseason. That has been further confirmed here in Mobile. In fact, one source said that general manager Joe Douglas is admitting to people in the league the franchise will go all out in the attempt to bring Rodgers to Gang Green. And it only makes sense. The team is in desperate need of a signal-caller, with Zach Wilson looking more and more like a draft bust. Factor in owner Woody Johnson’s comments not long ago that he’d be willing to pay whatever is necessary for a quarterback, and it all adds up.
The Packers will want at least two 1st round picks in a trade for QB Aaron Rodgers, Peter King shares in his column. King adds that Jets owner Woody Johnson would happily pay that price. The question remains if Rodgers even wants to play for NY.
I'll admit that I don't buy the idea that GB has no leverage. Trade him to the Jets. If he refuses to play or accept the deal, then he can retire. Oh, not retiring? Then you are traded to the Jets. Repeat, as much as needed. Jordan Love is the starting QB. Rodgers can accept a trade or retire. Yes, that is a dick move that forces him out. It is business; sometimes you have to be a dick. No different than Lombardi immediately trading away players that signed with an agent during that era.

Rodgers has an enormous ego. Douglas, Hackett, and Woody Johnson will feed his selfdom* to get him to play for NJ - and Rodgers will love it.

As a side note, NJ needs a LT too. Bak and AR for two 1sts, a 2nd, and WIlson as a back up to love. Wilson is very cheap. Or no Wilson and another young player or draft compensation. It is time to clear the books of the over 29s who were paid for past performance and won't be part of the 2025 World Champion GB Packers.

*Mod edit
What if Rodgers wants to return to GB? Everyone is assuming Packers' management feels Love is ready to take over the reins. 'What if they feel Love needs a little more grooming? It took Rodgers 3 seasons before he was ready to take over for Favre and Love's rookie season was lost IMO. I may be wrong but I have a gut feeling Rodgers will be back this coming season and Love will take over in 2024. Perhaps it is my woman's intuition? ;)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
'll admit that I don't buy the idea that GB has no leverage. Trade him to the Jets. If he refuses to play or accept the deal, then he can retire.
why did you add PLAY in that comment, cause he does want to stay and play, in fact that is exactly what Rodgers has hinted all along

refuse the trade, wont retire, so we cut him and get nothing, right, like our GM is brainless, no one wins, and that isn't a favorable solution to this.
nope, we work out a trade to a team he accepts that gives us the best compensation, every player on this team, and the whole league will be watching how we handle this, screwing Rodgers is saying " don't come here, because when we are done with you, this is how we'll treat you.

treating players that where for many years the face of the franchise as though they are nothing but a meal ticket to the future is wrong any way you slice it, it's what Rodgers said just prior to that draft hold out 2 years ago.

and your idea that players didn't have agents during the Lombardi era isn't true either, your thinking that these players are property to be dealt with as you wish, wtf is that all about Ghost? I'am a union man, been a union man all my life, and thats partly the reasons for unions, owners of a business don't also own the employee's, just as the Packers don't own Aaron Rodgers

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Pugger wrote:
05 Feb 2023 10:28
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

*Mod edit
What if Rodgers wants to return to GB? Everyone is assuming Packers' management feels Love is ready to take over the reins. 'What if they feel Love needs a little more grooming? It took Rodgers 3 seasons before he was ready to take over for Favre and Love's rookie season was lost IMO. I may be wrong but I have a gut feeling Rodgers will be back this coming season and Love will take over in 2024. Perhaps it is my woman's intuition? ;)
We need to roll the dice with Love as our best chance to win the SB. We haven't seen enough from Love yet, but we are at a point where he needs to play more to improve. We have seen enough of Rodgers to know he has slipped. I believe we won't win a SB with Rodgers so what do we have to lose?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If BG still finds a way to get 2 1st rounders for Aaron...

I too think Bakh as a package deal to the Jets makes a LOT of sense. You are at least looking at 2 1sts and a 2nd for that. Personally, I don't think it makes sense to bring Zach to GB because if I am the Jets, part of the allure of bringing Rodgers is both immediate play as well grooming Wilson. It is already well known the good relationship between Rodgers and Wilson and I think you would want to keep that in NY.

I don't know if trading players to GB from the Jets make a ton of sense. I think we want more draft capital than anything (and future year draft capital at that).
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

why would a GM give up two first for Rodgers when he is incapable of winning a SB, or is it that our GM's over the years have made it to hard a task for the QB to over come there poor decisions, and the GM's that are interested know this.

everyone in a hurry to dump Rodgers for Love simply refuses to believe that, they also refuse to accept that the odds of Love ever QBing a Packers team to a SB win are almost zero to none, just as it is for almost every QB in the league

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 11:53
why would a GM give up two first for Rodgers when he is incapable of winning a SB, or is it that our GM's over the years have made it to hard a task for the QB to over come there poor decisions, and the GM's that are interested know this.

everyone in a hurry to dump Rodgers for Love simply refuses to believe that, they also refuse to accept that the odds of Love ever QBing a Packers team to a SB win are almost zero to none, just as it is for almost every QB in the league
GMs of teams that are way worse than us. If you think this FO is stupid as you routinely claim, I wonder how stupid the FOs of teams that do even worse than us every year must be. But sure, let's trust their judgment going all out for Rodgers, clearly Denver showed how smart a move that is.

FFS, Rodgers is 39 and showing it. Love doesn't need to have a better career than Rodgers to justify us moving on now, he just needs to be better than him now (which isn't actually that high of a bar to clear, Geno Smith did it this past season) *OR* offer more good years for us than Rodgers will.

Rodgers has like 3 more good years in him, if even that (this past season was not one). Love is the same age as some QBs in the coming draft (and he's not staying to ride pine another year). Do the math. If Love can play then the ~12 years is way more valuable than just 1-3 (more like 1-0). Even if he can't, losing one or two good years of an old QB really isn't that big of a deal.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

For the ones who are so scared "shirt"'-less ( ;) ) about life after Rodgers... what more can you ask for to position yourself nicely for that circumstance, than to get a boatload of draft picks, which can either be used to draft a great QB and/or put together a supporting cast so strong that any QB will thrive, ala SF?

Clinging to Rodgers is far more likely to bone us for the future. We will have less money to rebuild because his cap hits for us go way (I mean like wayyyyyy) up if he plays for us next year, plus we miss out on extra draft picks while Rodgers still has high trade value (we almost did miss out not trading him this past offseason but we are getting another chance).

And it likely costs us Love bc he ain't staying another year to be QB2, so we go from maybe having a replacement to having nothing.
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

"Feed his selfdom" is quite a euphemism! :lol:

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
05 Feb 2023 11:40
If BG still finds a way to get 2 1st rounders for Aaron...

I too think Bakh as a package deal to the Jets makes a LOT of sense. You are at least looking at 2 1sts and a 2nd for that. Personally, I don't think it makes sense to bring Zach to GB because if I am the Jets, part of the allure of bringing Rodgers is both immediate play as well grooming Wilson. It is already well known the good relationship between Rodgers and Wilson and I think you would want to keep that in NY.

I don't know if trading players to GB from the Jets make a ton of sense. I think we want more draft capital than anything (and future year draft capital at that).
I am 100% for keeping Bakhtiari. Love and running game needs all the OL help they can get, and Bak is still elite. Think I saw Jonah Williams gave up 12 sacks this year. I doubt Bak gave up 12 pressures. I doubt he’s given up 12 sacks in his career.

He’s only 31, he could have a legit 6 quality seasons left.

If we move on from Aaron, think we gotta cut some weight, mainly anyone who isn’t gunna be competing at a high level in the 2024-2026 seasons. But I could absolutely see Bakhtiari be a main stay on the new generation. Just like Chad Clifton.

Aaron does a lot we don’t see to make life easier on the OL, really don’t want to throw Love out there with random LT’s.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Yoop wrote:
05 Feb 2023 11:19
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
'll admit that I don't buy the idea that GB has no leverage. Trade him to the Jets. If he refuses to play or accept the deal, then he can retire.
why did you add PLAY in that comment, cause he does want to stay and play, in fact that is exactly what Rodgers has hinted all along

refuse the trade, wont retire, so we cut him and get nothing, right, like our GM is brainless, no one wins, and that isn't a favorable solution to this.
nope, we work out a trade to a team he accepts that gives us the best compensation, every player on this team, and the whole league will be watching how we handle this, screwing Rodgers is saying " don't come here, because when we are done with you, this is how we'll treat you.

treating players that where for many years the face of the franchise as though they are nothing but a meal ticket to the future is wrong any way you slice it, it's what Rodgers said just prior to that draft hold out 2 years ago.

and your idea that players didn't have agents during the Lombardi era isn't true either, your thinking that these players are property to be dealt with as you wish, wtf is that all about Ghost? I'am a union man, been a union man all my life, and thats partly the reasons for unions, owners of a business don't also own the employee's, just as the Packers don't own Aaron Rodgers
Rodgers CAN'T refuse the trade. If he does that he doesn't get paid AND he doesn't play. I think this has been confused in the reporting. Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract.

That said, it isn't an issue. With his vanity all the owner and new team needs to do is stroke his big ass ego. Jets fan and the NY media will be thrilled, as will their owner and their OFF coordinator.

As someone else pointed out, we can lose now and later with AR or trade him for picks and lose in 2023 but MAYBE have another 10+ year window for the playoffs and the SB.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

NY owns the #13 and the #44

Las Vegas owns the #7 and the #38

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

*Mod edit
Its been three years for Love. If he needs more grooming its time we trade HIM, or just fire the people who selected him instead of a WR.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Does New York still have a vax mandate? That could be a factor

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I really think that for Rodgers fanboys, having him as our starting QB and playing above-average is about equal in enjoyableness as an actual SuperBowl season. Like, I think they would honestly rather have a decade of great Rodgers play without a SuperBowl win like 2011-2022 than to win it all with Trent Dilfer at QB (they will never admit it, but you can just hear them saying "eew!!" to the thought of the latter).
—Magneto

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:14
Pugger wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

*Mod edit
Its been three years for Love. If he needs more grooming its time we trade HIM, or just fire the people who selected him instead of a WR.
It's really been only 2. Love's rookie season was during the height of COVID restrictions. Was there TC that year? If memory serves he was the #3 QB and never even dressed for a game so I'm guessing he didn't get a lot of reps during the week.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:46
Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2023 13:14
Pugger wrote:

What if Rodgers wants to return to GB? Everyone is assuming Packers' management feels Love is ready to take over the reins. 'What if they feel Love needs a little more grooming? It took RuBs wrill be back this coming season and Love will take over in 2024. Perhaps it is my woman's intuition? ;)
It's really been only 2. Love's rookie season was during the height of COVID restrictions. Was there TC that year? If memory serves he was the #3 QB and never even dressed for a game so I'm guessing he didn't get a lot of reps during the week.
I NEVER hear this excuse for any other rookie. Not any QBs heading into year 4, not any other players. Just for Love.

Guy misses a regular rookie offseason and we want to pretend the entire year didn’t count.

Craziest thing ive ever heard.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Jalen Hurts all taken in the same class. I never hear their rookie years dont count.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Feb 2023 12:59
NY owns the #13 and the #44

Las Vegas owns the #7 and the #38
LV offers better picks. But NYJ is only a few spots behind and has more attractive players to offer.

Some Jets I could see them offer and could help us out: Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Tyler Conklin, CJ Uzomah, John Franklin-Meyers, a few other guys as throw ins including potentially Zac Wilson.

Raiders, ehh... maybe Foster Moreau since they already have Waller (and Rodgers will not use the traditional TE much, but he might use Waller), then it's mainly throw-in guys like maybe a Jerry Tillery, but it's a pretty meh group. Renfrow and/or Waller would rock, but I doubt they want to part with either of them.
—Magneto

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but any trading partner out there isn't giving you "picks" and "players" for a 39 soon to be 40 yr QB that could be/most likely is 1 and done. If you get a 1st and a 5th or something along those lines I would take it and run for the hills quickly.

After how badly Denver got fleeced in the Wilson deal a lot of teams aren't even going to sniff him now not to mention the cap implications. :idn:

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

Not a chance in H E double hockey sticks is #12 retiring this off season. Second fiddle, especially to another #12, 5 years from now at the HOF induction doesn't work!!!