Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

Post by NCF »

2022 is in the books.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
13 Feb 2023 09:23
2022 is in the books.
By my calculations we still have 30 days, 5.5 hours...

:hide:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
13 Feb 2023 09:20
Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2023 09:16
BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 08:51

Already over the cap, 10 starters are FA’s, losing their DC and OC, and Jalen Hurts needs a contract.

They aren’t going to be the same team, by a good stretch, going forward.

Like any team, depends upon restocking talent. They got a couple of firsts, so they could make some noise there, but a tall order nonetheless. I think we can all appreciate here in GB how hard it actually is to get there.
wow, didn't realize that, all along I thought they where a young team, to bad, it probably will be hard for them to get back to the dance, they'll be in our boat, kicking dead money to keep players.

that offense when clicking is a bull dozer, those RPO's are brutal, really hard to defend a guy like Hurts, the Eagles punted only twice, if they get third and short it's practically automatic first down, great game.
It's a pretty tough list for them.

Yikes, 6 guys on the DL? And 2 more LB's. And a corner and a safety.

They still got two bookend rushers, Sweat and Reddick. Then also you hope 13th pick Jordan Davis steps up, he didn't do anything this year. But that is gunna be a very different D, no way around it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 09:51
NCF wrote:
13 Feb 2023 09:20
Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2023 09:16

wow, didn't realize that, all along I thought they where a young team, to bad, it probably will be hard for them to get back to the dance, they'll be in our boat, kicking dead money to keep players.

that offense when clicking is a bull dozer, those RPO's are brutal, really hard to defend a guy like Hurts, the Eagles punted only twice, if they get third and short it's practically automatic first down, great game.
It's a pretty tough list for them.

Yikes, 6 guys on the DL? And 2 more LB's. And a corner and a safety.

They still got two bookend rushers, Sweat and Reddick. Then also you hope 13th pick Jordan Davis steps up, he didn't do anything this year. But that is gunna be a very different D, no way around it.
holy molly, there in worse shape then we are, cept for Rodge, least we wont have to worry about the Eagles for a while :thwap:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's largely Defense on that list. Their D will take a hit, for sure. All their starters on O other than AJ Brown were draft picks.

Their O should be fine, but they need to plant seeds to grow some long-term talent on D.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Guessing he chose base salary to for maximum effect, but I’d guess the message doesn’t change much if looking at AAV or cap hit.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 10:21

Guessing he chose base salary to for maximum effect, but I’d guess the message doesn’t change much if looking at AAV or cap hit.
It doesn't change much until you get to Percy Harvin:

Harvin - CONTRACT:6 yr(s) / $64,245,000 signed in spring of 2013
Rice - CONTRACT:5 yr(s) / $35,000,000 signed in summer of 2012
Bradshaw - CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $18,000,000 signed in summer of 2011
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ray Rice the only big RB contract. Percy certainly no RB.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 11:28
Ray Rice the only big RB contract. Percy certainly no RB.
Percy was a WR who they used as a RB.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So any chance the Raiders keep Derek Carr past tomorrow?

Take on that $40M or so bonus that hits tomorrow.

Doesn't seem to make sense, but if you think you can possibly pawn off some of that money to the new team and still end up getting draft capital, it might?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 12:07

Doesn't seem to make sense, but if you think you can possibly pawn off some of that money to the new team and still end up getting draft capital, it might?
"2023 salary + $7.5M of 2024 salary fully guarantees 2/15/2023 (injury guaranteed at signing)
Full No Trade Clause"
I would assume that the full $40.4 million would be on the books for the Raiders and that plus the remaining $3,750,000 of signing bonus would be their dead cap should they cut/trade him after tomorrow?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I hear that Carr has a bonus due at 4 today. So it makes sense that he will officially be a FA today.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:

I don't think that would balance out well, to pay 40 mil. maybe get 20 mil. back and a draft compensation of what 1 first, maybe another 2nd still seems like a loss to me, I think they'll just cut him.

I didn't say anything, but I was shocked that Tae went to such a disfunctionel organization, If AR goes there we'll know it's just the money, I don't see a ice cubes chance in hell that team wins a SB any time soon.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:

Carr has said he won't accept a trade. So they either have to pay him, or cut him.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Carr is now officially a FA.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The 13.1% rule for 1 player just got blown out of the water.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Interesting XFL rule to encourage kickoff returns while decreasing injuries (tl;dr: nobody moves until the returner catches the ball, or the ball has been on the ground for 3 full seconds)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/xf ... e339f9a0df

It would be nice if the NFL sees what works in other football leagues and adopts the same sorts of rules.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Patrick Queen may be on the outs in Baltimore...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ra ... 2dbc760f9a

I remember wanting him bad in the draft that year (2020, yep, the Love draft). Haven't watched him at all as a pro. His PFF grade in his first couple years was abysmal but more recently has been very good. His stat line most recently: 117 tackles, five sacks, nine tackles for loss and two interceptions.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
16 Feb 2023 13:47
Patrick Queen may be on the outs in Baltimore...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ra ... 2dbc760f9a

I remember wanting him bad in the draft that year (2020, yep, the Love draft). Haven't watched him at all as a pro. His PFF grade in his first couple years was abysmal but more recently has been very good. His stat line most recently: 117 tackles, five sacks, nine tackles for loss and two interceptions.
Queen hasn't been all that good, and Roquan was traded for to basically take his place. No real interest in a veteran free agent at one of our strongest defensive positions, but I'm sure in the right scheme, he'll have some use to someone.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »