Aaron Jones to Return To Green Bay in 23

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Aaron Jones to Return To Green Bay in 23

Post by BF004 »

:banana:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Now remember, nearly all of us wanted him gone because we wanted him and also cared about the $$. :lol:

:poke:

:beer2: :beer: :thumbr:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Numbers kind of confuse me.

He already had an 8.1 million salary and an 11 million salary next year.

Sounds like his ‘23 cap hit won’t be going down much unless there is more to this.

I wonder if this makes him more or less likely to be around in ‘24.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wow, if this is true.

Leading by example, but 12 already in isolation, he won’t have this information to dwell on. :lol:

Someone should slip him a little note whilst emptying his poop bucket.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sounds like they are doing away with the roster bonus and converting some of that to signing bonus.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Starting to make the case for best RB in Packers history and one of the most likable human beings, as well.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 06:57
Now remember, nearly all of us wanted him gone because we wanted him and also cared about the $$. :lol:

:poke:

:beer2: :beer: :thumbr:
not me, I wanted to resign him, he was barely used, and with almost every touch ya could see how explosive he could be, also showed soft hands as a receiver, normally my plan is draft them and play them till there legs fall off, which often is only 3 to 5 years, but McCarthy thankfully didn't go by my plan.

so glad to have Jones for another season, he is huge production, great news :banana:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Should Rodgers move on, having Jones around will be huge for Jordan Love. Jones provides so much in this offense and will provide a nice offensive security blanket.

The fact he took a pay cut to stay says a lot about the man. He clearly values family and environment over financial status among superstars who already have more money than they'll ever spend. :aok:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

In effect, doesn’t this just kick the can one year down the road? Yeah, we’ll keep AJ in 2023. But they’ll have to renegotiate again next year or release him (WITH a cap hit).

I’m not a fan of the phantom years on contracts as that creates a snowball to avalanche that’ll be hard to overcome.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
17 Feb 2023 08:39
Should Rodgers move on, having Jones around will be huge for Jordan Love. Jones provides so much in this offense and will provide a nice offensive security blanket.

The fact he took a pay cut to stay says a lot about the man. He clearly values family and environment over financial status among superstars who already have more money than they'll ever spend. :aok:
Agree, I’m all for clearing some cap and what not if we go to Jordan, be a little long term thinking. But not having Aaron around would be detrimental for Jordan’s growth, ability to have success, gain some confidence, etc.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Feb 2023 08:46
In effect, doesn’t this just kick the can one year down the road? Yeah, we’ll keep AJ in 2023. But they’ll have to renegotiate again next year or release him (WITH a cap hit).

I’m not a fan of the phantom years on contracts as that creates a snowball to avalanche that’ll be hard to overcome.
It just doesnt make sense. We arent a SB team next year with or without Rodgers so why not just tear down and rebuild. Last years draft class was a step in the right direction in getting this team cap under control but all we are doing is holding on for dear life to be competitive enough to win a division but not enough to make any real noise. Gutenbumst has to know hes on the hotseat after years of atrocious decision making is doing his best Ryan Pace impression to keep his job.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:02
Scott4Pack wrote:

It just doesnt make sense. We arent a SB team next year with or without Rodgers so why not just tear down and rebuild. Last years draft class was a step in the right direction in getting this team cap under control but all we are doing is holding on for dear life to be competitive enough to win a division but not enough to make any real noise. Gutenbumst has to know hes on the hotseat after years of atrocious decision making is doing his best Ryan Pace impression to keep his job.
It makes a ton of sense. He is the only playmaker on our offense other than Watson, who himself is a second-year player thus far from a sure thing.

If we bring back Rodgers, we are playing for the SB. If we go with Love, we need some talent around him so he can succeed, and with a 7-seed playoffs you gotta play for the postseason at least if he turns out to be just a solid starter.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Aaron just gets called out on social media for having such a high cap hit (Packers fault for can kicking). He takes note publicly.

Takes a $5M pay cut to stick around, social media still questions him. Better team, locker room, culture, with him.

The money he is making and the 4 spots we lose in next year's draft absolutely worth keeping him around.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Ultimate teammate. Best locker room guy you can have. Big time playmaker. Brilliant all the way around.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

You have this really weird obsession with tanking.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Packfntk wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:27
Ultimate teammate. Best locker room guy you can have. Big time playmaker. Brilliant all the way around.
Agree. I've said it before but he is the best RB I've seen in green and gold since Ahman Green.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:46
lupedafiasco wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

You have this really weird obsession with tanking.
This has nothing to do with tanking. I have said this for 3 or 4 years now. The Packers need to take their medicine, have a 2 year plan, and swallow their dead cap and bad contracts. Long term that will solve the problems with the cap and ultimately the talent problem with this team. Last year we carried $32M in dead cap. This year we are staring down $17M in dead cap from voided contracts not including what may happen with Rodgers.

if anyone has a weird obsession it’s Packers fans. We saw this during the TT era. Bad drafts led to a huge talent gap and cap struggles and we couldn’t compete with the rest of the league. Packers fans are just too stupid to see what’s happening in front of them.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I agree that I am stoked to have him back.

I agree that the void year dead cap situation on the team is pushed too far.

This is a win-win and a lose-lose.

Embrace dissonance

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:09
lupedafiasco wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

It makes a ton of sense. He is the only playmaker on our offense other than Watson, who himself is a second-year player thus far from a sure thing.

If we bring back Rodgers, we are playing for the SB. If we go with Love, we need some talent around him so he can succeed, and with a 7-seed playoffs you gotta play for the postseason at least if he turns out to be just a solid starter.
If the Packers don't trade Rodgers it is not to win a SB. That is simply not going to happen, it can't happen with what Rodgers will do to the salary cap and signing our UFA's, Jones or no Jones. Not trading Rodgers, IMO, is just the opposite, it is tanking the season, taking a 2-15 season and blaming it on Rodgers. But the Packers would only do that if they think that Love is a bust that they have to get rid of.

If as you say, the Packers go with Love he will need talent around him, as you say. But they still are not a SB contender in the 2023/24 season. Ideally they get 1 playoff win for Love's experience. But if Love's first season turns out to be 8-9 none of us should be disappointed. It is 2024/25 when the investment in Love and the extra 1st round pick pays dividends and Jones should be a big part of a SB victory.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:

are you a fan of winning? Jones provides a 1/4 of our production.