Packers Prospect Interest and Meetings

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Packers Prospect Interest and Meetings

Post by BF004 »

That’s a big boy that moves quick for his size.

If he can provide some consistent pressure on pass plays, he’s gunna be a really valuable player.

I could definitely get behind him around our 45 pick.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Knowing who the Packers choose for their 45 formal interviews is definitely not *useless* information…

And the change this year with the coaching staff staying home and so the informal pit interviews are done by scouts and over zoom, so the dynamic might change…

But I've said this before and I’ll say it again. The Packers had approximately 85% of the combine attendees on their “want to meet with” list the year I went with them. So take “met with” information with the corporate grain of salt.

That said, Mazi Smith is totes our type

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

There was some debate over Branch. From the information I have come across on him, I like him, and don't think he's bad value at 15, yet I doubt he will be one of my top choices of the players that will be available.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
02 Mar 2023 07:47

That’s a big boy that moves quick for his size.

If he can provide some consistent pressure on pass plays, he’s gunna be a really valuable player.

I could definitely get behind him around our 45 pick.
Smith tweaked a hammy; no workout today. He was expected to be an athletic beast

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

With Branch I feel like if he plays the same position as Bama like the nickel or star position I think he will be a good player. He’s super physical there. The snaps I see him at safety he looks like a different player. He doesn’t look interested in mixing it up the same as when he’s already closer to the LOS.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Mar 2023 16:36
With Branch I feel like if he plays the same position as Bama like the nickel or star position I think he will be a good player. He’s super physical there. The snaps I see him at safety he looks like a different player. He doesn’t look interested in mixing it up the same as when he’s already closer to the LOS.
Have you watched his tape? I haven’t. But when I read the writups about him, I wonder how he compares to LeRoy Butler.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Mar 2023 11:49
I appreciate you posting this. But at this point, if the Packers aren’t looking for a WR, I’d be very surprised. In fact, if we don’t use a high draft pick and/or pickup a proven WR, I’d almost call for Guty’s head. It’s no surprise to me if Guty would invest in a WR. He wants to give Love every chance to succeed.

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Mar 2023 10:25
But I've said this before and I’ll say it again. The Packers had approximately 85% of the combine attendees on their “want to meet with” list the year I went with them. So take “met with” information with the corporate grain of salt.
I look at it this way: Its the one best chance they have to meet face- to- face with these athletes... whether they draft them or not.
When this class hits FA in a few seasons, they'll have a full dossier on the player, including these interviews. Always building the database
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
03 Mar 2023 16:03
YoHoChecko wrote:
I look at it this way: Its the one best chance they have to meet face- to- face with these athletes... whether they draft them or not.
When this class hits FA in a few seasons, they'll have a full dossier on the player, including these interviews. Always building the database
Oh yeah, and the reported ones at the combine are true private interviews, which means there is some level of interest or some question that NEEDS answering. Those definitely matter. I just like to give caveats especially to "seen talking to at the Senior Bowl" or other events or informal combine stuff. Because if I could find it, I could literally show you the list where there was a dot next to everyone they wanted to talk to; it's literally almost everyone.

I'm shocked that the Packers coaches are staying home and that they are one of 11 teams doing so. I actually hate it. Getting face time with these guys matters so much. I guess since the scouts are the ones making the picks, that makes some sense, but man, the assistant coaches really seemed to enjoy their meetings.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Mar 2023 16:14
BSA wrote:
03 Mar 2023 16:03
YoHoChecko wrote:
Oh yeah, and the reported ones at the combine are true private interviews, which means there is some level of interest or some question that NEEDS answering. Those definitely matter. I just like to give caveats especially to "seen talking to at the Senior Bowl" or other events or informal combine stuff. Because if I could find it, I could literally show you the list where there was a dot next to everyone they wanted to talk to; it's literally almost everyone.

I'm shocked that the Packers coaches are staying home and that they are one of 11 teams doing so. I actually hate it. Getting face time with these guys matters so much. I guess since the scouts are the ones making the picks, that makes some sense, but man, the assistant coaches really seemed to enjoy their meetings.
I was hoping to hear a reason why, went and did a quick look and found nothing, personally I think it's a time restraint thing, not enough time to interview prospects and to many people asking the questions, just a thought.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
I don't see it. Watson is WR#1 and Doubs is WR#2. Why would you draft another receiver high to compete for WR#3 when you also need a TE who, if they pick the right guy, would get more targets?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TE Darnell Washington in GB for a pre-draft visit.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
04 Mar 2023 02:52
YoHoChecko wrote:
I don't see it. Watson is WR#1 and Doubs is WR#2. Why would you draft another receiver high to compete for WR#3 when you also need a TE who, if they pick the right guy, would get more targets?
you sir have the perfect mindset to be a Packer GM, we don't need no more receivers :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

A broken record ( ;) ) is correct a couple times a day. I really like all three of Watson, Doubs, and even Toure but the cupboard is pretty bare even if you are high on those guys and needs to be restocked.

Also, the flip side of pointing out that Rodgers's contract took up too much space to make the position appreciably deeper than it was over the past couple years is.... now we won't have that problem in the foreseeable future, so let's get the benefit of it, such as, carrying more WR talent.

I think I actually would prefer to sign or trade for two vets (one slot, one boundary) rather than rely on draft picks to fix it, because it is an inexperienced group as it stands, and that problem isn't solved with rookies. You need some guys in the WR room who will show the younger guys how to be a pro.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Mar 2023 08:57
A broken record ( ;) ) is correct a couple times a day. I really like all three of Watson, Doubs, and even Toure but the cupboard is pretty bare even if you are high on those guys and needs to be restocked.

Also, the flip side of pointing out that Rodgers's contract took up too much space to make the position appreciably deeper than it was over the past couple years is.... now we won't have that problem in the foreseeable future, so let's get the benefit of it, such as, carrying more WR talent.

I think I actually would prefer to sign or trade for two vets (one slot, one boundary) rather than rely on draft picks to fix it, because it is an inexperienced group as it stands, and that problem isn't solved with rookies. You need some guys in the WR room who will show the younger guys how to be a pro.
right, we need our draft picks for defense, defense wins championships, :thwap: we'd be better off buying defensive players and drafting receivers, the hit rate is higher on WR's.

I expect Gute to furnish Love with better receivers then he did Rodgers

a broken record is never right, are you thinking of a clock? :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
21 Mar 2023 09:08
right, we need our draft picks for defense, defense wins championships, :thwap: we'd be better off buying defensive players and drafting receivers, the hit rate is higher on WR's.
:lol:

I didn't know (or particularly care) what the hit rate is in the draft per position, but I figured I would look it up to see if you had a point.

Turns out, no, you are way off the mark on something you could have easily looked up in just a few seconds on Google.

--> WR has the lowest hit rate behind only TE and QB;
--> all three levels of defense have a better hit rate than any level of offense, the only exception is G and T are safer than DL;
--> WR has the lowest Round 1 pro-bowl rate of any(!) position;
--> WR has the fourth highest bust rate, the only position on defense with a higher bust rate is DL.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/244 ... -nfl-draft
I expect Gute to furnish Love with better receivers then he did Rodgers
That comparison is a non-starter. We have more resources to add talent with Love than Rodgers. Basic logic.

If Love gets an Elite QB deal while Gute is GM, then the circumstances will actually be comparable enough to make 1:1 comparisons.

Of course if one is convinced of some wild conspiracy to purposefully deprive Rodgers and just wants to be a wet blanket 24/7, logical thinking is not only unnecessary but undesirable.
a broken record is never right, are you thinking of a clock? :rotf:
A broken record is right about the part of the song it repeats. It just doesn't get anything else right. :mrgreen:
—Magneto