Rank the Roster 2020: #1

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 28 Apr 2020 20:14

Aaron Rodgers
48%
David Bakhtiari
No votes
Kenny Clark
No votes
Davante Adams
No votes
Jaire Alexander
No votes
Aaron Jones
13%
Za'Darius Smith
39%
Adrian Amos
No votes
Corey Linsley
No votes
Preston Smith
No votes

Total votes: 23

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #1

Post by Waldo »

Welcome to Rank the Roster 2020, a chance to talk about football and haggle over the roster until (hopefully) camp opens.

As always, the starting 10 are the top 10 players remaining from last year's poll. This year 3 players are gone from the top 10; Brian Bulaga, Blake Martinez, and Mike Daniels.

Might we have a new #1 this year for the first time, or at least real competition for the spot? Last year was the first year it wasn't unanimous (minus the troll picks).

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I totally came here to vote for Jordan Love.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Well I'm not sure where to go here. Jones, Za'Darius, and Rodgers all make sense. Going to think about it until tomorrow, listen to the arguments. Leaning Jones tho because I love me some RB's and that kid is special.

Next up tho is a slam dunk for me, Elgton Jenkins. He's clearly going to go in the top 10 IMHO.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2020 20:19
I totally came here to vote for Jordan Love.
I mean obviously he's going to be unanimous #1 from 2023-2038, but for now, its a bit premature to put him this high.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Waldo wrote:
27 Apr 2020 20:21
Well I'm not sure where to go here. Jones, Za'Darius, and Rodgers all make sense. Going to think about it until tomorrow, listen to the arguments. Leaning Jones tho because I love me some RB's and that kid is special.

Next up tho is a slam dunk for me, Elgton Jenkins. He's clearly going to go in the top 10 IMHO.
I went with Z. He is the only one who has a legit case that he should have been in the All Pro consideration, not just Pro Bowl consideration. I know he wasn't. But if I feel like he should have been, and if healthy should be in that range again this year, how can I not vote for him?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

For the first time in this poll's creation, I did not vote 12.

Z'adarius Smith had the largest impact on the Green Bay Packers in 2019. When we needed someone to step up, 55 answered the call. That game at US Bank Stadium was the best performance by a Packers defender I have ever seen.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Tier 1
Rodgers

Tier 2
Z
Clark
Bakhtiari
Adams
Jones

4 blues on O, 2 on D

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think Z as well. Best player on the field last year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Rodgers no matter what criteria you’re using for this thing. If he goes down this teams $%@#. The opposition has to put a lot more work in to stop Rodgers than it does Z. I got no problem with Z being 2nd even though I still think Bak is the better player.

Anything other than Rodgers here is trolling. I used to troll with the Jordy Nelson votes on the old one but that’s because Rodgers was damn near unanimous. This is silly.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That we have no one behind Rodgers does not equate to Rodgers being the best on the team.

That said, it's an interesting way of thinking about it because if Z went down for any length of time it would have been this bum sauce Gary and garbage juice Fakrell taking his place.

To subscribe to the theory that Rodgers has no talent around him and thus that is why he has not played particularly well in the last 2 years, one would have to ignore Davante Adams and Aaron Jones. Also, if one believes Rodgers is the best, shouldn't the best be lifting up the talent instead of there needing to be much better talent for him to be the best?
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 27 Apr 2020 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

AR has the most impact on our game. Another year in the O. Giving young guns an actual shot should bring him closer to the top. He's still our #1

Is anyone voting for a draft pick before #30 this year?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I went Jones.

My vote was based upon last year’s performance and where I see this offense going this year. It’s apparent MLF is intent upon reducing our dependence on Rodgers and who do you think is going to get more of a load? You guessed it. And with Rodgers’ reduced role, Adams suffers also.

Not only that, I think Jones is still an ascending player both as a player overall and within this offense. He’s getting better, folks. That’s almost scary to think about.

Rodgers? Not so much.

Z was a strong consideration and a worthy pick. I think he’s next for me but this year’s no.1 is Jones.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

AJ Dillon might change it this year, but I would say the one person on offense who I am most concerned of losing short term to an injury is Aaron Jones.

Aaron Jones was without question the scariest and most impactful player on offense for the 2019 Green Bay Packers.

Like I said. AJ Dillon will hopefully reduce the dependency on Jones in 2020.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
27 Apr 2020 21:38
AJ Dillon might change it this year, but I would say the one person on offense who I am most concerned of losing short term to an injury is Aaron Jones.

Aaron Jones was without question the scariest and most impactful player on offense for the 2019 Green Bay Packers.

Like I said. AJ Dillon will hopefully reduce the dependency on Jones in 2020.
Dillon may get some of those short yardage carries but my money says the Packers ride their soon-to-be FA like the stallion he is.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2020 21:04
That we have no one behind Rodgers does not equate to Rodgers being the best on the team.

That said, it's an interesting way of thinking about it because if Z went down for any length of time it would have been this bum sauce Gary and garbage juice Fakrell taking his place.

To subscribe to the theory that Rodgers has no talent around him and thus that is why he has not played particularly well in the last 2 years, one would have to ignore Davante Adams and Aaron Jones. Also, if one believes Rodgers is the best, shouldn't the best be lifting up the talent instead of there needing to be much better talent for him to be the best?
For the first time in a while we might have someone behind Rodgers. I feel a hell of a lot better with Love backing up Rodgers than Boyle.

I voted for Rodgers. Z didn't have to learn a new defense for the first time in his career in 2019. IF Rodgers embraces MLF's offense fully this year this could be a special season.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Aaron Jones kinda *is* our offense. Then again, when Rodgers is on his game, he's still our MVP, but overall, he is kind of in, like, Derek Carr(?) territory or something. Good, at the most important position, but not elite or hands-down our best.

I also feel like Adams deserves consideration here. I feel like we can win without Jones or without Adams, but not without both.

Za'Darius was dominant, but defense was our undoing last year and Z is not unlike the rest of our D in the sense that when it's not the pass that they're trying to stop, they're much less impressive.

Yeah, real tough call here. I gotta go with Jones, first vote for someone other than Rodgers at #1.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we'll live without z, or Jones, where dead in the water without Rodgers, not even close.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I voted Z. I just can't vote for a guy who was in the 12-18 range for his position last year.

Z was probably a top 3 pass rusher in the whole league, whereas Rodgers was a league-average QB.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Simply answering the question, who is the best player on the Packers, for me, it has to be Rodgers.

He's also still the 'most valuable' to us, which is kind of how I view this process. Without him our season is over. Not the case with other players.

In fact Rodgers may more more valuable now because if he went down we might have to throw in Jordan Love and his career might get ruined. Love is clearly not ready, but with 2 years learning his craft, could be a star. It's vital he's not thrown in too soon.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I went with Z. The Packers are more likely to be able to win a playoff game without Rodgers than they are to win a playoff game without Z