Day 2 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Which positions should we add (choose 3)

WR
30%
TE
33%
T
8%
IOL
2%
QB
2%
DL
9%
LB
No votes
CB
2%
S
11%
K
No votes
Shut up BF
5%

Total votes: 64

BF004
Reactions:

Day 2 Draft Discussion

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 23:59
You're fired!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:munch:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Happy TE day!
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don't think anyone really had an amazing night.

Unfortunately maybe Philly. Although you got a lot of undersized redundancy with Reddick and Smith and Smith doesn't really have the pass rushing prowess or talent... High ceiling, but he has a long ways to go. But two really BPA's at positions of both short term and long term need for them.

I think Arizona got amazing value for their trade back. Not sure if they needed to go back up to 6 to get Paris Johnson, but they got the player they wanted in the draft and Houston's first next year (maybe Clevelands).

I think the Bears did amazing if you consider the whole draft process and everything they got from #1.

I'd say the Patriots did awesome too and trading back and still getting Christian Gonzalez AND they got to stick it to the Jets by letting Pitt get a tackle ahead of them.

I think Texans and the Lions were the big losers.

Still can't find for sure if the Texans gave up their first next year or Cleveland's to Arizona. But to give up their first to essentially get Will Anderson instead of Lukas Van Ness, a first which could honestly be a top 5 pick. Just silly. Although if CJ Stroud pans out, it'll be a good draft no matter what I guess.

Lions had 2 top 18 picks and got an RB and an off ball LB. They just made a fairly significant FA signing in Montgomery. (3 years 18 million) and had the worst D in the league, and have next to nothing at IDL and CB, and there were a lot of solid options for them at all their slots. You can literally get proven pro bowlers in FA at both positions for $20-$25 million total. Laughably bad value for picks 12 and 18.

Also think the Jets really really did want to get and OL, and they just missed out when Pitt traded up ahead of them. They let that clock run like all they way down and they had to take somewhat of a raw edge player, a position they are quite deep. Odd choice for a team looking to go all in and build around Aaron. I think they desperately wanted to move down after that, they let that clock run down all the way. Joe Douglas looking real bush league last ~3-4 days.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Oh God, we are gunna take Levis today, aren't we?

Brian Brohm 2.0, but with big arm.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went through the process with him more or less, and had a couple of scouts/staff combing back through all their notes and some film last night and today just to make sure they are more prepared for the possibility.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 05:08
:munch:
We can probably cross Adebawore off the list, LVN is a better version of the same thing, and our need at the position wasn't big enough to warrant double-dipping.

I think the names that stand out to me as a cut above the rest are Branch, Mayer, Porter, and Benton. Any of those guys were arguably good enough to have been picked last night. CB isn't really worthwhile, so no to Porter. I could maybe include Washington and LaPorta in that mix.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 08:57
Oh God, we are gunna take Levis today, aren't we?

Brian Brohm 2.0, but with big arm.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went through the process with him more or less, and had a couple of scouts/staff combing back through all their notes and some film last night and today just to make sure they are more prepared for the possibility.
It would be pretty on-brand for us, yes. :?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Not meaning to duplicate Salmar’s post, but I wanted to show how much talent is available for our two picks tonight.

WR
Tillman
Rice
Perry
Mingo
Downs
Scott
Reed
Hyatt
Nahuatl
Mims
And more…

TE
Mayer
Washington
Kraft
Musgrave
LaPorta
Schoonmaker
Whyle
Strange
Kuntz
Allen

We will definitely be able to get some play makers today.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 08:53
I don't think anyone really had an amazing night.

Unfortunately maybe Philly. Although you got a lot of undersized redundancy with Reddick and Smith and Smith doesn't really have the pass rushing prowess or talent... High ceiling, but he has a long ways to go. But two really BPA's at positions of both short term and long term need for them.

I think Arizona got amazing value for their trade back. Not sure if they needed to go back up to 6 to get Paris Johnson, but they got the player they wanted in the draft and Houston's first next year (maybe Clevelands).

I think the Bears did amazing if you consider the whole draft process and everything they got from #1.

I'd say the Patriots did awesome too and trading back and still getting Christian Gonzalez AND they got to stick it to the Jets by letting Pitt get a tackle ahead of them.

Still can't find for sure if the Texans gave up their first next year or Cleveland's to Arizona. But to give up their first to essentially get Will Anderson instead of Lukas Van Ness, a first which could honestly be a top 5 pick. Just silly. Although if CJ Stroud pans out, it'll be a good draft no matter what I guess.

Lions had 2 top 18 picks and got an RB and an off ball LB. They just made a fairly significant FA signing in Montgomery. (3 years 18 million) and had the worst D in the league, and have next to nothing at IDL and CB, and there were a lot of solid options for them at all their slots. You can literally get proven pro bowlers in FA at both positions for $20-$25 million total. Laughably bad value for picks 12 and 18.

Also think the Jets really really did want to get and OL, and they just missed out when Pitt traded up ahead of them. They let that clock run like all they way down and they had to take somewhat of a raw edge player, a position they are quite deep. Odd choice for a team looking to go all in and build around Aaron. I think they desperately wanted to move down after that, they let that clock run down all the way. Joe Douglas looking real bush league last ~3-4 days.
I think the Seahawks had a great night
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I was thinking saying Seattle too.

If they could have finagled that trade back Detroit got at 6 and still got Witherspoon, even with a small trade back. Probably would have been better value. 5 was quite rich for Devon.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Jets just getting ripped on ESPN for like the last 5 minutes.

Strang to get complete consensus from like 10 different guys contributing, but everyone got their shots in.

I love it. :lol:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 08:53

It was their's not the one from Cleveland.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

What if Mayer and Washington are both off the board when we get to 42? Who should we pick then? Is one of the other TEs a reach? And would we reach for Mingo or a “type” of WR?

I don’t know why, but Schoonmaker keeps getting into my head. Wonder if we don’t get a TE before his tier.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I expect a mild run on TE's early 30's for Mayer, Musgrave, Washington and even Laporta, so imo we'd have to trade up for one of them

a 4th round brute

BREVYN SPANN-FORD, MINNESOTA (RS SENIOR | 6-7, 270)
2022 Grade: 90.6
Play Style: Inline People Mover
Initial Round Projection: Early Day 3
You want a run-blocker in this class? Spann-Ford is your man. He’s nearly an offensive tackle, and with how well he moves at his size, it may be in his best financial interest to consider a move to the position. That’s because he’s never going to be a dynamic threat with the ball in his hands to warrant a big-money deal. But what he can do is erase smaller edge defenders in the run game. His 82.8 run-blocking grade ranked third in the FBS this season and his 13 big-time blocks led the nation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think we have to go all offense from here. I am very concerned we won’t get any evaluation on Love if this offense stays the way it is. We have a bottom 5 WR room and a bottom 1 TE room.

I will say it’s interesting to see Levis still there considering I think he’s basically the same guy as Love. Kind of goes to show you wait to take a toolsy QB who sucks in the field.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Apr 2023 09:49
Not meaning to duplicate Salmar’s post, but I wanted to show how much talent is available for our two picks tonight.

WR
Tillman
Rice
Perry
Mingo
Downs
Scott
Reed
Hyatt
Nahuatl
Mims
And more…

TE
Mayer
Washington
Kraft
Musgrave
LaPorta
Schoonmaker
Whyle
Strange
Kuntz
Allen

I’d be OK holding off on TE for a later round. Something like Schoonmaker in the 4th, for example.

I think the gain of, say, Branch or Mauch and one of those WRs outweighs the gain in getting a WR along with Washington over Schoonmaker.

I definitely want a pick from one of those two position groups in R2, though. Preferably a WR.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Reach?
Attachments
IMG_2889.png
IMG_2889.png (4.1 MiB) Viewed 363 times
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Apr 2023 11:41
What if Mayer and Washington are both off the board when we get to 42? Who should we pick then? Is one of the other TEs a reach? And would we reach for Mingo or a “type” of WR?

I don’t know why, but Schoonmaker keeps getting into my head. Wonder if we don’t get a TE before his tier.
Mayer. But I think both are probably gone. We can probably get LaPorta, which wouldn't be the worst. Musgrave might even be there and I think he will be pretty good.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
28 Apr 2023 12:13
Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Apr 2023 09:49

WR
Tillman
Rice
Perry
Mingo
Downs
Scott
Reed
Hyatt
Nahuatl
Mims
And more…

TE
Mayer
Washington
Kraft
Musgrave
LaPorta
Schoonmaker
Whyle
Strange
Kuntz
Allen

I’d be OK holding off on TE for a later round. Something like Schoonmaker in the 4th, for example.

I think the gain of, say, Branch or Mauch and one of those WRs outweighs the gain in getting a WR along with Washington over Schoonmaker.

I definitely want a pick from one of those two position groups in R2, though. Preferably a WR.
no to Branch, we have a hell of a safety clone in Savage, imo his problems last year centered on his position coach that we let go.

I don't mind a later TE to groom as a blocker, but our biggest need are receiving skills, using a 4th or 5th to move up for say Mayer would make sense to me, as you've shown there are still pretty good receivers available to, plus a few OL

we can fix up a few positions tonight for sure.