2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

BF004
Reactions:

2024 Draft Discussion

Post by BF004 »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Mid-late 1st from the Jets and #32 after Love's MVP season and :lombardi: will be a nice way to start off the 2024 draft.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
01 May 2023 12:06
The 2024 draft seems to be full of funny name potential... :rotf:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Looks like I am not the only one who thinks AR will have a great regular season and his normal playoff performance. I suppose getting to watch their team win regular season games will be a refreshing change for their fans, but they should not get their hopes too high in a playoff game

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
02 May 2023 06:06
Looks like I am not the only one who thinks AR will have a great regular season and his normal playoff performance. I suppose getting to watch their team win regular season games will be a refreshing change for their fans, but they should not get their hopes too high in a playoff game
Think I could get a little behind some deep playoff run if he was in the NFC, AFC East just so stacked and they play the AFC West and NFC East.

And I know this will be pure blasphemy for some here, but the Jets roster isn’t that good, particularly on O. WR’s OL and RB noticeably worse than he’s had in GB in recent years.

Is Wilson > Davante? :lol:
MVS >>> Hardman or Davis
Cobb >> Hardman
Maybe Lazard is better now than he was as a youngling.
Aaron Jones >>> Hall
Dillon >>> ?
When healthy our OL exceeds theirs by a fair margin.

I’d say they have a very large lean at TE.

It’s not by accident Aaron won two MVPs recently. Our O in hindsight was insanely talented.

D on the other hand…. Be interesting to see how Aaron plays at this much older age, lesser talent on O, much more reliance on the D.

I’d probably says 29-32 in the NFC, but 19-28 for me.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
02 May 2023 07:23
Maybe they expect a meltdown from Rodgers's Jets?! :idn:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
02 May 2023 07:36
TheSkeptic wrote:
Think I could get a little behind some deep playoff run if he was in the NFC, AFC East just so stacked and they play the AFC West and NFC East.

And I know this will be pure blasphemy for some here, but the Jets roster isn’t that good, particularly on O. WR’s OL and RB noticeably worse than he’s had in GB in recent years.

MVS >>> Hardman or Davis
Cobb >> Hardman
Aaron Jones >>> Hall
Dillon >>> ?

It’s not by accident Aaron won two MVPs recently. Our O in hindsight was insanely talented.

D on the other hand…. Be interesting to see how Aaron plays at this much older age, lesser talent on O, much more reliance on the D.

our O was not insanely talented, our QB was, and that was the reason he was designated the most valuable player, he did more with less then anyone else in the league, he had one great receiver, that he had a hand in making great, that when it came time for the PO's dropped a game winning TD pass, in every PO game we lost Rodgers is blamed for not being able to over come poor play or injury's of the best players on the team, or brain farts from jags.

when Favre left he said the team finally had enough talent to win it all, I imagine the same thoughts are going through Rodgers head, I'am about out the door and ya finally draft some receivers

I was hoping I wouldn't have to defend Rodgers from people here that over look the reality's just to blame that damn QB.

I should know better, Skeptic is just looking for any chance to pour salt on a dead horse :thwap:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
02 May 2023 08:16
BF004 wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

MVS >>> Hardman or Davis
Cobb >> Hardman
Aaron Jones >>> Hall
Dillon >>> ?

our O was not insanely talented, our QB was, and that was the reason he was designated the most valuable player, he did more with less then anyone else in the league, he had one great receiver, that he had a hand in making great, that when it came time for the PO's dropped a game winning TD pass, in every PO game we lost Rodgers is blamed for not being able to over come poor play or injury's of the best players on the team, or brain farts from jags.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to defend Rodgers from people here that over look the reality's just to blame that damn QB.

I should know better, Skeptic is just looking for any chance to pour salt on a dead horse :thwap:
Take a deep breath, Mike, you don't have to resort to your copy and paste opinions. I spoke zero ill of Rodgers, no need to get all crazy.

Both things can be true, Rodgers was amazing and he was surrounded by great talent.

Instead of just shouting the same 8 opinions you've said 300x now, refute my points. I gave specific examples, you just shouted thoughts.

Is Garrett Wilson >> Davante?
Is Breece Hall >> Aaron Jonoes?
Is ?? >> AJ Dillon?
Is Mechi Becton >>> Bakhtiari?
Is Mecole Hardman >>> MVS?
Is Laken Tomlinson >> Elgton?

Packers were clearly better at WR, miles ahead at RB, and had a solid lean on OL as well, 20/21 vs Jets today.

I know is messes with a narrative many want to be really really true, but our offense, particular in 2020 and 2021 was really really good. And that shouldn't be surprising given our W-L%, offensive statistics, MVPS's given. Rodgers is the best QB I've even seen, but even he doesn't win MVP's without awesome talent. Likewise we don't get that without amazing QB play. That is not a knock on Rodgers saying a team that won 27 games in 2 years, had the MVP twice, and had a top offense by nearly every metric. If anything, it is clearly showing his dominance.

If your only response is to ignore what I wrote and basically just copy and paste your last post, ask yourself if it is worth it before hitting submit.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
02 May 2023 08:39
Yoop wrote:
02 May 2023 08:16
BF004 wrote:

MVS >>> Hardman or Davis
Cobb >> Hardman
Aaron Jones >>> Hall
Dillon >>> ?

Take a deep breath, Mike, you don't have to resort to your copy and paste opinions. I spoke zero ill of Rodgers, no need to get all crazy.

Both things can be true, Rodgers was amazing and he was surrounded by great talent.

Instead of just shouting the same 8 opinions you've said 300x now, refute my points. I gave specific examples, you just shouted thoughts.

Is Garrett Wilson >> Davante?
Is Breece Hall >> Aaron Jonoes?
Is ?? >> AJ Dillon?
Is Mechi Becton >>> Bakhtiari?
Is Mecole Hardman >>> MVS?
Is Laken Tomlinson >> Elgton?

Packers were clearly better at WR, miles ahead at RB, and had a solid lean on OL as well, 20/21 vs Jets today.

I know is messes with a narrative many want to be really really true, but our offense, particular in 2020 and 2021 was really really good. And that shouldn't be surprising given our W-L%, offensive statistics, MVPS's given. Rodgers is the best QB I've even seen, but even he doesn't win MVP's without awesome talent. Likewise we don't get that without amazing QB play. That is not a knock on Rodgers saying a team that won 27 games in 2 years, had the MVP twice, and had a top offense by nearly every metric. If anything, it is clearly showing his dominance.
I came back to delete my post because I'am tired of defending a first ballot HOF QB that people here blame for every loss.

and it takes more then just Devonte Adams and a bunch of #4 tier receivers too win PO games, specially so if ya lose a RB or the defense or ST's suck.

that was Wilsons rookie season, he's bound to improve, and who can say how good with Rodgers, same with all these other players, I don't like comparing players for the simple reason they don't play the same year to year, what good is it to say Bahktiari is better if he can't stay on the field.

I should have tagged Skeptics post but I'am tired of being accused of abuse.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

So if the 2020/21 offenses were not talented, how does one explain the drop off in production in 2022?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 May 2023 09:14
So if the 2020/21 offenses were not talented, how does one explain the drop off in production in 2022?
the loss of Tae and MVS, and ineptness of the WR group, the musical chair situation with OL, the lack of cohesion on the defense, just to name a few things

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
02 May 2023 09:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
the loss of Tae and MVS, and ineptness of the WR group, the musical chair situation with OL, the lack of cohesion on the defense, just to name a few things
So the offense was pretty talented in 2020/21 and the loss of the talent to moving on and injuries led to the drop in OFFENSIVE production?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 May 2023 09:36
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
So the offense was pretty talented in 2020/21 and the loss of the talent to moving on and injuries led to the drop in OFFENSIVE production?
pretty talented being the key phrase, and Rodgers was playing some of his best ball, more talent at receiver and we may have (another key phrase) won back to back Lombardi's.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
02 May 2023 09:47
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

pretty talented being the key phrase, and Rodgers was playing some of his best ball, more talent at receiver and we may have (another key phrase) won back to back Lombardi's.
That more talent would have lead to more success was not and is not the discussion.

Do you agree, the offense in 2020/21 was a pretty talented group?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 May 2023 09:49
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

That more talent would have lead to more success was not and is not the discussion.

except for skill position players, sure, but I do not consider 1 great receiver and a bunch of jags to be a great receiver group, neither would Lafleur, neither would most other coaches, again Rodgers did more with less to work with then any other player considered to be MVP, thats why he won that title.

so funny, people here complain that Rodgers didn't do more to win the big games, yet defend the middling group of receivers he's had to play with since 2015, mind boggling.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
02 May 2023 10:08
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

except for skill position players, sure, but I do not consider 1 great receiver and a bunch of jags to be a great receiver group, neither would Lafleur, neither would most other coaches, again Rodgers did more with less to work with then any other player considered to be MVP, thats why he won that title.

so funny, people here complain that Rodgers didn't do more to win the big games, yet defend the middling group of receivers he's had to play with since 2015, mind boggling.
So you are saying the Packers offense was not very talented in 2020/21? Why would those leaving and injuries have affected the drop in production in 2022 then? What then explains that drop?

FYI, I haven't mentioned Rodgers nor have a defended anyone.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Let's try to steer this back to expectations for the Jets in '24 and how that impacts the draft for us. Which is extremely relevant for this thread.
And less just solely about our 20/21 rosters. Perhaps we could split the draft thread into two this year, actual prospect discussion and one for possible draft picks.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 May 2023 10:24
Yoop wrote:
02 May 2023 10:08
Pckfn23 wrote:

So you are saying the Packers offense was not very talented in 2020/21? Why would those leaving and injuries have affected the drop in production in 2022 then? What then explains that drop?

FYI, I haven't mentioned Rodgers nor have a defended anyone.
NO, I did not say that, that is what you are insinuating or trying to get me to say, and it doesn't matter what words you use, your attempt is to give the team more credit then the QB, obviously you consider me dumb enough to fall into your trap.

we've had a good running attack, good OL, great QB, and a middling and inconsistent defense horrid special teams, and other then Adams a bunch of #4 type WR's up till last season, when all but the RB's and ST's was about the same or better and everything else got worse.
and the fault for that crap was not the QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
02 May 2023 10:41
Let's try to steer this back to expectations for the Jets in '24 and how that impacts the draft for us. Which is extremely relevant for this thread.
And less just solely about our 20/21 rosters. Perhaps we could split the draft thread into two this year, actual prospect discussion and one for possible draft picks.
again players don't play the same year after year, and I do expect Lazard to be about the same though, he's a big possession receivers that struggles to separate so it's doubtful he sees more targeted throws, he could even decline some because the Jets do have Wilson headed into year two and may bring in more help or improvements from others already on the roster.

I'am pulling for the Jets to do well simply because it amounts to better draft value.