Rank the Roster 2023: #12

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 26 May 2023 13:19

Eric Stokes
4%
AJ Dillon
27%
Darnell Savage
2%
Josh Myers
2%
John Runyan
No votes
Quay Walker
24%
Devonte Wyatt
4%
Keisean Nixon
24%
Romeo Doubs
No votes
Lukas Van Ness
No votes
Luke Musgrave
No votes
Jayden Reed
No votes
Tucker Craft
No votes
Jonathan Owens
No votes
Yosh Nijman
No votes
Zach Tom
4%
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
No votes
Samori Toure
7%

Total votes: 45

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2023: #12

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2023 Edition

1. Jaire Alexander (43%)[+2]
2. Aaron Jones (26%)[+6]
3. David Bakhtiari (34%)[+1]
4. Kenny Clark (50%)[-2]
5. Rashan Gary (57%)[+1]
6. Elgton Jenkins (54%)[-1]
7. DeVondre Campbell (29%)[--]
8. Christian Watson (32%)[+14]
9. Jordan Love (32%)[+21]
10. Preston Smith (32%)[+2]
11. Rasul Douglas (29%)[+2]
12. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2022 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Gosh these polls fly by as I sit here with Dillon as my guy, now we're almost to the teens. Starting to feel pretty good about the roster; our C situation has been fairly static for the last decade as far as play quality, noone is really even considering Myers at this point; the leaner years Linsley peaked at #11 and #12. Myers isn't Linsley in his prime yet, but he's at the same place in the OL pecking order as Linsely.

I still want to see Dillon, Quay, Doubs, and Nixon go before Myers. Maybe even Stokes.

In Stokes case, I know people are freaked out about his injury, but Listfranc in particular is known to be stupid slow to heal. But I thought recovery rates were good, just slow.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'll go Dillon and Nixon, but I'm going Wyatt next. I think he's going to be a starter and a good one. Hi flashes were immaculate. It's just about assignments and consistency for him. Perfect scenario for a big year 2 jump.

I think sometimes it's easy to forget what an absolute freak that guy is

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Nixon and Quay.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 May 2023 14:01
I think he's going to be a starter and a good one. Hi flashes were immaculate. It's just about assignments and consistency for him. Perfect scenario for a big year 2 jump.
I went with Quay, but your statement literally fits word for word with my evaluation and expectation of both guys.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I'm thinking Dillon and Quay
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Dillon and Nixon again for me, Quay, Doubs, then Wyatt, DT's usually don't bloom till year 3 but Wyatt is special

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I went with Nixon. Starting nickel CB as things stand and with Christian Watson, Aaron Jones, and Aaron Rodgers Nixon was the best way for us to gain yardage a season ago.

A travesty to see Quay with this many votes here IMO. Still a few players I would put over him like Runyan and Dillon.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sticking with the 2 Georgia 2022 first rounders.

Quay and Wyatt

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 May 2023 18:12
A travesty to see Quay with this many votes here IMO. Still a few players I would put over him like Runyan and Dillon.
these are pretty good reasons why people are voting for Quay, Quay is a PB ILB, Runyan is a player we hope becomes 2nd string lol

Walker recorded 121 tackles (75 solo), 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and seven pass deflections over 17 appearances during the 2022 season.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Walker and Nixon. I suspect that Nixon will be used somewhere besides as a returner.

Walker is a starter. Dillon is not, he is a backup/rotational and will get 1/4 the snaps if Jones does not get hurt. I fail to understand how anyone can vote for a backup over a full time starter at any other position.

On deck will be the remaining healthy Oline starters with Tom first (Yosh is a backup). Then other starters like TJ Slayton and Doubs. Either Musgrave or Craft will start but I don't know which. Reed will get a lot of snaps but he is not a guaranteed starter either. Either LVN or Kingsley will start, but again I don't know which. So I have 10+ picks before I start voting for a backup RB or a character guy like Wyatt that is likely to get himself suspended, sooner or later.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Quay was very up-and-down for us as a rookie.

My cautiously optimistic expectation of his upward trajectory is not some dramatic "jump" that brings about sudden consistency but rather, getting the peaks to get a little longer and higher and the valleys shorter and a little less low.

But I think Year 2 is going to be another season of him learning on the job. I would put him in the 15-20 range.

And if we are being honest with ourselves, McDuffie looked better at it than Walker did, yet I don't see any push to get McDuffie ranked.

by the way... it's *Kraft.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Who are the next two best players on the Packers?

I don't get it, this is self explanatory, I don't get why people are filling positional holes over voting for a established player, Dillon shares game snaps almost evenly with Jones and his over all production of run and pass is at a 1000 yrds for the last couple years, why would anyone rank a guy like Runyan before him, or toms,

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
26 May 2023 08:57
Quay was very up-and-down for us as a rookie.

My cautiously optimistic expectation of his upward trajectory is not some dramatic "jump" that brings about sudden consistency but rather, getting the peaks to get a little longer and higher and the valleys shorter and a little less low.

But I think Year 2 is going to be another season of him learning on the job. I would put him in the 15-20 range.

And if we are being honest with ourselves, McDuffie looked better at it than Walker did, yet I don't see any push to get McDuffie ranked.

:oops:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 May 2023 09:07
Labrev wrote:
26 May 2023 08:57

:oops:
Hey, at least you didn't put it in the poll! :P
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I went with Nixon. Starting nickel CB as things stand and with Christian Watson, Aaron Jones, and Aaron Rodgers Nixon was the best way for us to gain yardage a season ago.

For a portion of the season, yes, Nixon was a big-time return weapon. I get a little one-year wonder vibe there. The Packers also went out of their way to play absolutely anyone else on defense over Nixon a season ago, so I also don't buy that he is fully entrenched as our Nickel CB.

Nixon is the guy I am surprised is getting this much love early on. I think I have guys like Dillon, Quay, Wyatt, Runyan, and Doubs ahead of Nixon, yet, and possibly even a few others.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Someone finally joined me on the Wyatt train.

Guys gunna get a lot of snaps. He’s already older so he should be physically ready.

Sure a lot based on projection and hope. Great for us if he ends the year around here or even higher. We are going to be a lot better team if he has a bigger impact than Runyan or Dillon.

Same with Walker and Van Ness. I’ll be on team Van Ness after the Georgia guys go.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
26 May 2023 09:28
lupedafiasco wrote:

For a portion of the season, yes, Nixon was a big-time return weapon. I get a little one-year wonder vibe there. The Packers also went out of their way to play absolutely anyone else on defense over Nixon a season ago, so I also don't buy that he is fully entrenched as our Nickel CB.

Nixon is the guy I am surprised is getting this much love early on. I think I have guys like Dillon, Quay, Wyatt, Runyan, and Doubs ahead of Nixon, yet, and possibly even a few others.
I'm in the same boat. In general, unless you're Devin Hester, return guys don't have multiple years of success. Desmond Howard is a prime example. '96 Season was GOAT and then just never really recaptured it. And yeah, just because Nixon had great returns doesn't suddenly turn him into a monster DB.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I would normally have the same concern, but Nixon did what he did in just 6 games or so. If he gets a full season, he has 11 more chances to do the same or better. I like his chances, considering.

Not to mention Rich MF Bisaccia running the ST unit. 8-) :aok:
—Magneto

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Nixon has just over half the year as a KR and he winds up as an 1st team All-Pro with over 1,000 yds in returns. While I expect some teams won't try him a lot will kick to him. He's going to be in the mix on D. It wouldn't surprise me if they ran him out on O for a play or two just to eat a defender. Having the O start at the 40 or better is going to be a premium for Love.