Rich Eisen Show: Greg Cosell on MLF Offense and Quarterback

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Rich Eisen Show: Greg Cosell on MLF Offense and Quarterback

Post by go pak go »

At first I was going to put this in the MLF Offens thread, but he talks about things other than MLF as well such as the Packers draft approach, Rodgers and Love.

Here is the snipped down version. Very interesting that an NFL Films Senior Producer notices the exact same things many of us have been saying on this board for years. Now mind you, he probably sees more film than anyone else who is not a coach in this country.

If you want, please also watch the whole video. I think it goes for like 14 minutes on us and the 49ers and how we compare before he gets to the Eagles. (again. Think MLF Offense thread). He talks about our draft. How Aiyuk was our best fit if we went WR and why the 9ers are so successful.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
29 Apr 2020 19:27
At first I was going to put this in the MLF Offens thread, but he talks about things other than MLF as well such as the Packers draft approach, Rodgers and Love.

Here is the snipped down version. Very interesting that an NFL Films Senior Producer notices the exact same things many of us have been saying on this board for years. Now mind you, he probably sees more film than anyone else who is not a coach in this country.

If you want, please also watch the whole video. I think it goes for like 14 minutes on us and the 49ers and how we compare before he gets to the Eagles. (again. Think MLF Offense thread). He talks about our draft. How Aiyuk was our best fit if we went WR and why the 9ers are so successful.

Interesting talk here but with AR's contract he isn't going anywhere for a couple of years. Also - Aijuk could have been a good fit but he was taken #25, one pick before Love. Perhaps they wanted this WR but once he was gone off the board they went to plan B? :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

SF and Shanahan wanted Auiyk, and since Shanny knows Matty, probably thought we would want him as much or more, so after rubbing Matty's face into the NFCC game mud, he slapped the living hell out of him again and stole Auiyk right out from under his nose, yep, seems obvious to me how that went down :rotf:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m gonna ponder a different take for a while. That is, maybe Love actually shows old man Rodgers something in that timing game and Rodgers uses that to take his game to the next level. We win the SB. And Rodgers stays 2 years after that.

If Rodgers really wants to get what HE wants, then he needs to make sure that we win the stinking Super Bowl. And how Aaron cupcake Rodgers gets that is by learning the timing system that his HC wants.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2020 10:16
SF and Shanahan wanted Auiyk, and since Shanny knows Matty, probably thought we would want him as much or more, so after rubbing Matty's face into the NFCC game mud, he slapped the living hell out of him again and stole Auiyk right out from under his nose, yep, seems obvious to me how that went down :rotf:
Let's hope it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to us.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
30 Apr 2020 10:51
Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2020 10:16
Let's hope it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to us.
sure, and while where hoping, possibly Auiyk and the rest of the niner team will catch the clap the day before we play them again :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
30 Apr 2020 10:37
I’m gonna ponder a different take for a while. That is, maybe Love actually shows old man Rodgers something in that timing game and Rodgers uses that to take his game to the next level. We win the SB. And Rodgers stays 2 years after that.

If Rodgers really wants to get what HE wants, then he needs to make sure that we win the stinking Super Bowl. And how Aaron cupcake Rodgers gets that is by learning the timing system that his HC wants.
wow, your really out there with the birdies on this one, I doubt there is anything that Love could ever show Rodgers, about football anyway, now it's Aaron, the cupcake Rodgers, as though what, he's some kind of wimp? best QB this team ever had and now he's a wimp.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Love made plenty of bad decisions at Utah State last season as he tried to make up for a poor supporting cast. He constantly tried to force completions into coverage. LaFleur’s preferred scheme is based heavily on play-action and boot concepts, so that should simplify Love’s reads while amplifying his ability to move and use his arm to make big-time throws.

Far less talented quarterbacks have thrived in this system. So if Love is given time to learn the plays and figure out what throws he can and cannot make — all while serving as the scout team quarterback against his No. 1 defense this year — he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl quarterback for years to come.

That makes his draft selection worth the risk. And there indeed is risk, especially in the short-term. Rodgers has the right to be furious, since he wasn’t given enough weapons last season and likely won’t have enough again this year. Green Bay once again passed on taking a receiver high in the most WR-rich draft in a decade, and the lack of premium resources the organization has poured into the position over time is infuriating. I’ll always believe Rodgers could have won more than one Super Bowl in his career if he had more weapons to throw to, and it would be hard to blame him if he feels the same way.

I agree, we spent so much to fix the defense we let the receiver room decline, instead asking Rodger to just get what he could from very raw players year after year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodg ... 41721.html

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Look, I mean, talking about what he sees on film is fine and interesting. Many of us here have been saying this for a couple years ourselves--that despite Rodgers' talent, he leaves throws on the field--especially in-rhythm throws.

But he's at the same time participating in the kind of wild speculation for what it means and on what timeline it means that.

The unbridled, unassailable truth is that it means nothing for 2 years, at minimum.

So all this talk is just filling time in a VERY slow sports news cycle. I'm glad people like Burleson and Gottlieb are starting to realize there's an audience for the backlash to the backlash, as well. And MAYBE being ultra-alarmist about an issue that has no real consequences for 2 years is a little bit of overkill.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2020 11:37
Love made plenty of bad decisions at Utah State last season as he tried to make up for a poor supporting cast. He constantly tried to force completions into coverage. LaFleur’s preferred scheme is based heavily on play-action and boot concepts, so that should simplify Love’s reads while amplifying his ability to move and use his arm to make big-time throws.

Far less talented quarterbacks have thrived in this system. So if Love is given time to learn the plays and figure out what throws he can and cannot make — all while serving as the scout team quarterback against his No. 1 defense this year — he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl quarterback for years to come.

That makes his draft selection worth the risk. And there indeed is risk, especially in the short-term. Rodgers has the right to be furious, since he wasn’t given enough weapons last season and likely won’t have enough again this year. Green Bay once again passed on taking a receiver high in the most WR-rich draft in a decade, and the lack of premium resources the organization has poured into the position over time is infuriating. I’ll always believe Rodgers could have won more than one Super Bowl in his career if he had more weapons to throw to, and it would be hard to blame him if he feels the same way.

I agree, we spent so much to fix the defense we let the receiver room decline, instead asking Rodger to just get what he could from very raw players year after year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodg ... 41721.html
I partly blame MM for not firing Capers sooner. TT felt those awful Ds needed 1st rounders every year to plug he holes. Had we replaced Capers sooner, maybe we could have had a more balanced use of draft capital and maybe Rodgers, and MM, would have had another ring.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

British wrote:
30 Apr 2020 12:54
I partly blame MM for not firing Capers sooner. TT felt those awful Ds needed 1st rounders every year to plug he holes. Had we replaced Capers sooner, maybe we could have had a more balanced use of draft capital and maybe Rodgers, and MM, would have had another ring.
omg, why oh why would you open this door?
:surrender:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2020 13:02
British wrote:
30 Apr 2020 12:54
omg, why oh why would you open this door?
:surrender:
If we have to go through this again with the receiver thing being in every post too... :suicide:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Might be one of my favorite Tom Grossi videos.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2020 11:02
Scott4Pack wrote:

wow, your really out there with the birdies on this one, I doubt there is anything that Love could ever show Rodgers, about football anyway, now it's Aaron, the cupcake Rodgers, as though what, he's some kind of wimp? best QB this team ever had and now he's a wimp.
Are they BIG birdies or little birdies! ;-)

Yoop, if Aaron "cupcake" Rodgers thinks like you are suggesting, that there's nothing that a rook can show him, then I'd say that we most definitely need to get rid of the cupcake as soon as we can tolerate the pain. Even if he is GOAT, he needs to always maintain an attitude of being willing to learn.In competitive sports and in most of life, there really isn't any room for complacency, especially from somebody who strives for excellence.

Don't take my comment personal. I actually appreciate what you wrote.

Even Superman had to learn how to deal with Kryptonite. And our cupcake is not Superman. He might've been in 2011. But he isn't now.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
30 Apr 2020 17:51
Might be one of my favorite Tom Grossi videos.

Grossi is dead on. Good vid!

In his own way, he makes the point that WHO CARES about what Favre is saying about this issue? And, Favre could've used a LOT more judgement. Instead, he fueled the flames of controversy when there isn't a controversy to begin with.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 May 2020 08:08
Yoop wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Yoop, if Aaron "cupcake" Rodgers thinks like you are suggesting, that there's nothing that a rook can show him, then I'd say that we most definitely need to get rid of the cupcake as soon as we can tolerate the pain. Even if he is GOAT, he needs to always maintain an attitude of being willing to learn.In competitive sports and in most of life, there really isn't any room for complacency, especially from somebody who strives for excellence.

Even Superman had to learn how to deal with Kryptonite. And our cupcake is not Superman. He might've been in 2011. But he isn't now.
Love will be a clip board holder till Rodgers leaves, and what could Love possibly teach Rodgers about football, or life for that matter, sure simple convo about any number of subjects Rodgers could learn from anyone, but thats not the point, here, you make it sound as though Love actually knows some pertaining to being a QB that Rodgers wouldn't know, you do realize that Rodgers watches just about as much film as many of the coaches he's had.

why you would jump to thinking Rodgers isn't willing to learn, when he said he enjoyed the new stuff last year, lots of off handed translations are going on now, truth mixed with speculation, is still mostly someones opinion of what someone else said, Favre's comments reflect glossed over resentments he has with the Packers, only Rodgers knows for sure if he's going to finish his career elsewhere.

I don't doubt that AR is upset that the Packers chose to draft his potential replacement now, just as Favre was upset when we took Rodgers, who would expect them not to be, only natural, right now we only know enough to raise questions, the answers will come later, I'll wait :mrgreen:

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

It does seem that that smug douche shanahan likes to rub LaFleurs face in the dirt! Maybe they're not as close as LaFleur thinks they are? I hope all the whiners moves !push them back a notch..that would be hilarious

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
01 May 2020 09:54
Scott4Pack wrote:
01 May 2020 08:08
Yoop wrote:

Love will be a clip board holder till Rodgers leaves, and what could Love possibly teach Rodgers about football, or life for that matter, sure simple convo about any number of subjects Rodgers could learn from anyone, but thats not the point, here, you make it sound as though Love actually knows some pertaining to being a QB that Rodgers wouldn't know, you do realize that Rodgers watches just about as much film as many of the coaches he's had.

why you would jump to thinking Rodgers isn't willing to learn, when he said he enjoyed the new stuff last year, lots of off handed translations are going on now, truth mixed with speculation, is still mostly someones opinion of what someone else said, Favre's comments reflect glossed over resentments he has with the Packers, only Rodgers knows for sure if he's going to finish his career elsewhere.

I don't doubt that AR is upset that the Packers chose to draft his potential replacement now, just as Favre was upset when we took Rodgers, who would expect them not to be, only natural, right now we only know enough to raise questions, the answers will come later, I'll wait :mrgreen:
Yup. That’s exactly my point. He does have something to show Rodgers. I don’t know what it is. But there will be something. It might only be something that he acts out what MLF wants him to do.

And as for Rodgers, if he ever steps on the field thinking, “There’s no way this kid could teach me anything” that’s exactly the one thing he shouldn’t think. That’s because he either sees the rookie as immature or himself as not needing to learn. This is even human nature.

That stuff is all that I’m saying. I didn’t jump to thinking that Rodgers isn’t willing to learn. I made a rhetorical statement. That’s all.