Do we have a bad, good, or great roster in 2023?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Do we have a bad, good, or great roster in 2023?

Post by Scott4Pack »

I wanted to do an amateur, non-expert review of the roster for the 2023 Packers to see how much I feel like we’re either truly a “rebuilding” team or something with some very real talent. So, please excuse the length of this post.

Guys who can carry their squad or create game-changing plays. Difference makers.
1. Nixon. I get excited every time this guy touches the ball. He is a genuine threat like nothing the Packers have had in a long time. And now, he could potentially play some significant snaps as the slot CB too! It’s a contract year for him, being on a one-year deal. I really think another year on our still improving STs and his knack for making plays on the D will turn him into a bona fide star, or pretty close to it.
2. Jones. I have been one of the guys who pointed out the number of times that Aaron Jones has fumbled at the wrong time. But the fact is that he simply has ways to be faster than the D, find the weak spots, and scratch out the extra yards once he is hit. And he’s turned into a team leader now too. He will be the heart of our offense this year. And he has the talent to back that up.
3. Watson. We will soon find out if Watson is learning his route running well enough. He needs that to compliment his speed. I think he will be a steady part of our offense either way. But there’s no limit to what he should be able to do. Defenses will have to account for him every time he’s on the field. But he’s more than a Corey Bradford. He can legitimately score every time he gets the ball.
4. Love. To be clear, he has a lot to prove - like everything. But I think his composure and MLF’s ability to wean him from backup to starter is going to be tremendous. Yeah, it’s still all about potential. But by November, I think we will be confident that he is a starting caliber QB. Maybe sooner. I think he will be able to produce at least a modest amount of offense. The question is whether he will fall prey to defenders who create turnovers or not.
5. Alexander. He hasn’t been making a lot of turnovers. But his skills are diverse and very dependable. If he can also snag a few INTs and/or do an occasional blitz, I think he will still ascend as a player. No doubt, he’s one of the best cover guys already.
6. Gary. Health will be the big question for him this year. But he’s already proven that he gets a LOT of pressure on opposing QBs and he’s pretty good versus the run. We want him to return quickly and get back to 100% because he is truly a difference maker.
7. Van Ness. Yes, potential. He hasn’t stepped onto a NFL field with pads yet. And he’ll likely be given spoonfuls to begin. But if he can translate his abilities into real production, it won’t take long to make him one of those guys that OLines must also account for on every play.
8. Musgrave. The combination of size, speed, and savvy that this guy will show is going to be exceptional. If he merely catches 30 passes this year as a rookie, that’ll be enough to make him a guy that we can depend on more as the season progresses.

Steady, positive contributors.
1. Doubs. A lot of people are singing very high praises for Doubs, including MLF. If they haven’t over-stated what he can do in his second year, he could clearly become what Gregg Jennings used to be for us, a guy who effectively works the middle of the field, moving the chains with regularity, and occasionally gets open deep for a TD. In short, dependable and effective. A great compliment for Watson (and vice versa).
2. Carlson. Maybe being a rookie kicker is the hardest position of all. But they are saying he shows an explosive leg. If he can perform well on FGs and truly make touchbacks, that’ll lengthen the field for the opposing offenses. We just can’t say enough about how important that is. Again, until he shows it in games, it is all potential at this point. But there are realistic high hopes.
3. Bahktiari. This guy is All Pro for a reason. Now, he just needs to stay healthy. If he does, we can’t say enough about how his opposing defenders will NOT have their names mentioned much on game day.
4. Campbell. Seemed like he digressed just a bit last year from his impressive Packer debut. But what he has proven is that he can cover a very wide range. He is a dependable tackler. And he just seems to know where to be at the right time.
5. Clark. He is a true star at his position. He might well play better than he did last year, when he was limited by injuries. And if one other DLineman steps up more than Dean Lowry ever did (I’m thinking it’s a very real possibility this year), Clark will be able to dominate. His greatest contribution might be pressure on the QB from the center of the LOS. But maybe he starts to play more snaps at End as well.
6. Deguara. He isn’t fast or agile. He’s ordinary in so many ways. But I think he will get more opportunities this year than ever. MLF will design his offense to utilize all of the TEs more than last year. Too many people compare him to Richard Rogers. But I think he is more than that; truly a Swiss Army knife kind of guy for his position.
7. Dillon. I like Dillon a lot. He’s so strong and has lots of talent. But I think his main thing is that he fits the scheme of our offense so well. And that’ll become a bigger deal as the season progresses again. With a new QB, perhaps Dillon gets more snaps than ever. And we’ll see if Quadzilla can continue to wear down defenses.
8. Douglas. Granted, I think that Rasul gave up more big plays last year than should be. But that might’ve been coaching as much as his propensity to gamble for big plays. Even so, he is a ball hawk. And he will make a few game changing plays along the way. Meanwhile, he is still a good (not great) cover guy.
9. Jenkins. If Elgton can get his regular LG snaps, in contrast to last year, I think he reverts to form and plays fantastic ball. Nuf sed about that.
10. Smith. I’ve always appreciated Preston. He isn’t great at this point. But he is still an effective pass rusher. And he is superb at holding the edge against the run.

High potential.
1. Walker. Quay is fast. But it seemed clear that there was a lot on his plate as a rookie. I think this year, his 2nd, he will play faster. And we’re gonna like what we see from him.
2. Reed. Yeah, another rookie. And he might not even start in the slot in September, due to Toure. But early reports indicate that he is a great match for our slot position and can help on the outside too. Just a guy who is very savvy and should pick up the speed and design of the game quickly.
3. Slaton. A lot of man in Slaton and a lot of talent. Does he take a step up this year? I hope so. That’ll help Clark a great deal and it’ll help the DLine rotation tremendously. It’s time that we had two all stars on our DLine and I think that Slaton can do that. (If Wyatt gets more snaps and also performs very well, that’s fine with me and I’d be thrilled.)

I didn’t put many OLinemen here, but I think that Tom also helps our OLine tremendously. His diversity will fill gaps if/when there are injuries. Otherwise, we have young guys who look able to step up. Same in other positions.

I really think two things are true about this team.
1. This roster has a LOT of natural ability. It also has more speed than in the past.
2. This roster has a LOT to prove. It might look like a rebuilding team in September and October. But I really think that by mid season, this is going to be a playoff-looking team, even through growing pains.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

IMO the Packers have a young roster. They could be good, they could be bad. They will not be great this season.

More important is how well they mature during the season. And how good will they be in 2024/25. They should be preparing for that season and not worry too much about this season. Remember, there are likely to be 2 first round draft next spring. Safety is still a problem to be addressed. Gary will not be 100% this season.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

I think with this roster and schedule we've got a ten win team. I hope we are looking at a ten year QB and two four years windows. I think we are on the verge of window #1. If we hit on next years picks we get the shot to go all the way.

You look at guys like Engabare. He was number 1 in PPFs rush win rate for rookies.

Top 5 in pass rush win rate among rookies (per PFF):

1. Kingsley Enagbare, Packers, 16.1
2. Kayvon Thibodeaux, Giants, 13.1
3. George Karlaftis, Chiefs, 12.9
4. Arnold Ebiketie, Falcons, 12.6
5. Aidan Hutchinson, Lions, 11.2

You need guys to step in and step up. I think it is a solid team up and down the roster. Next year with the cap cleared a top FA and a couple of top picks we'll be ready to roll. :lombardi:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We have a good roster if they play to what we know they can play to.

But we also have a roster who has fallen short of expectations and/or inconsistencies in the past (especially on defense).

That being said, with our schedule to start the season, I don't think realistic hope for a division title is out of the question at all.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

The most fun part about this season is that we have no clue! The only way I'd be disappointed is if the entire team plays below expectations.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this roster is loaded with young talent, the only thing that held the defense back was lack of pass rush, and a stubborn DC,, on offense adjustments to OL and a young receiving core, we should compete for the division and a PO birth.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

This has got to be one of the more talented rosters I’ve seen in quite some time. Doesn’t mean good, but the length, size, speed, athleticism, youth, just such a high ceiling in so many places.

And with having another first next year, and likely some ability to be players in FA next year, we absolutely could put something together special here.

If the D plays even half of what they should be capable of and Love is good, we should enter a very real window in ‘24 on. Two huge if’s, but should be fun.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Acrobat wrote:
19 Jun 2023 10:21
The most fun part about this season is that we have no clue! The only way I'd be disappointed is if the entire team plays below expectations.
Hahaha. Well, you have to know what the expectations are if you are going to know whether they played below the expectations or not.
;-)

Anyhow, anytime you have a young team, they need to learn how to win. Many coaches would say that every team every year needs to relearn how to win. We’ll see how long that takes for this squad. I’m hopeful my mid season.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Jun 2023 15:38
Acrobat wrote:
19 Jun 2023 10:21
Hahaha. Well, you have to know what the expectations are if you are going to know whether they played below the expectations or not.
;-)

Anyhow, anytime you have a young team, they need to learn how to win. Many coaches would say that every team every year needs to relearn how to win. We’ll see how long that takes for this squad. I’m hopeful my mid season.
I think the only things that would really frustrate me this year are:

1. If Jordan Love is just obviously bad and doesn't have a future (like the Brett Hundley year)

2. If our Defense stinks. Then I would actually call for MLF's head for mismanaging his coaching staff.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's a good roster.

It would take a lot for me to say a great roster (1996 comes to mind)

And it would take a lot to say it's a bad roster.

So while I do feel we have a good roster, it's also just by far the most likely, available answer to my standards

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This roster comes down to coaching.

“Good enough” pieces and talent in many areas

No elite qb to bail the coaches out if they aren’t in top form.

Def a good enough roster to win a lot of games with a softer schedule and playing in the NFCN.

Def not a Super Bowl roster, but a playoff roster if used correctly.

All eyes on Lafleur imo
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Offense is a question mark. QB, WR, TE all are populated with unproven talent. There are 2-3 starting OL spots that are not totally solid either, although I do think we have someone on the roster that can be the answer at those spots, too. I am highly optimistic, but it's a question mark.

But yes, on-paper, our roster on defense is good, and the Vikings win last season shows you what they can be when they play like the sum of their parts (or not even that, given their best player (Gary) was out). Coaching has been the issue there.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this roster has more experience, more health then last year minus QB, who with a short snap count during live game action has looked pretty darn good.

I can't believe some of the comments being made , this fo sure is a SB contending roster, and Love is coming into a better situation then Rodgers did back in 08, back then Sanders 43 defense had aged out, thats why he was fired after that season

the only thing holding up progress for this defense is the coaching

on offense Love has Watson and Doubs who proved last year they can handle and prosper at this level, and Reed and Wicks will do the same this year, the TE's can also contribute if used as receivers, the OL will also be better baring injury's.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Jun 2023 11:08
this roster has more experience, more health then last year minus QB, who with a short snap count during live game action has looked pretty darn good.

I can't believe some of the comments being made , this fo sure is a SB contending roster, and Love is coming into a better situation then Rodgers did back in 08, back then Sanders 43 defense had aged out, thats why he was fired after that season

on offense Love has Watson and Doubs who proved last year they can handle and prosper at this level, and Reed and Wicks will do the same this year, the TE's can also contribute if used as receivers, the OL will also be better baring injury's.
Love is the wild card. If he sucks, we suck. It’s simple.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Jun 2023 11:16
Yoop wrote:
20 Jun 2023 11:08

Love is the wild card. If he sucks, we suck. It’s simple.
really no reason for Love to suck, and he doesn't have to be prime AR for us to win it all, see I look at everything as the wild card.

here I'am again the biggest Rodgers defender, and also one of the ardent Love supporters too, go figure :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Jun 2023 09:33
It's a good roster.

So while I do feel we have a good roster, it's also just by far the most likely, available answer to my standards
Agreed. It's a good roster but I am not putting it in the 96 or the 14, 20, 21 roster tier yet which I consider the championship level rosters in my lifetime.

I kind of actually liken this team right now to spring 2007 but if Rodgers were the QB rather than Favre. A lot of potential and talent but the league is sleeping on it and we as Packers fans don't really know if it will be realized or not.

2007 was one of my favorite years as a Packers fan - if not actual favorite.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Jun 2023 12:54
YoHoChecko wrote:
It's a good roster.

Agreed. It's a good roster but I am not putting it in the 96 or the 14, 20, 21 roster tier yet which I consider the championship level rosters in my lifetime.

I kind of actually liken this team right now to spring 2007 but if Rodgers were the QB rather than Favre. A lot of potential and talent but the league is sleeping on it and we as Packers fans don't really know if it will be realized or not.

why you left out the SB winning season is strange to me, possibly because the offense hadn't found it's nitch yet, but still finished top 10 in the league

The defense ranked fifth in yards allowed and finished second in points allowed (240), sacks (47), and interceptions (24), while also limiting quarterbacks to a 67.2 passer rating, first in the league

that was one of my fav seasons because we had to scrape and scrap for every win and when it came to the big game we where battle tested, and we did it losing 7 starters, Teddy T's finest hour :idn:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
It's a good roster.

Rodgers had those five very good receivers. Oh, that was a special time, for sure. I would’ve loved seeing a Dorsey Levens type of guy on that team too. Can’t get enough of those too.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
It's a good roster.

That was such a fun year, except for the last game. That's why that Giants game will always go down as one of the darkest moments as a Packers fan, because it was such an enjoyable season, the week before in the snow felt like a celebration, and then whoomph!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
20 Jun 2023 16:32
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
It's a good roster.

Rodgers had those five very good receivers. Oh, that was a special time, for sure. I would’ve loved seeing a Dorsey Levens type of guy on that team too. Can’t get enough of those too.
nice read Sunday Scott, lots to take in :aok:

again something to ponder, 5 very good receivers, according to 07 stats the 2 listed starters had 1950 yrds or there about, TE Donald Lee had 575 yrds, James Jones I think was a rookie and popped for almost 700 yrds
IMO thats what a receiver group should always look like, 2 WR's that bounce the K mark every season, and a couple more that gather in another 1500 yrds.

we may not reach these goals of mine this season, but it's surely could happen next year.