Emanuel Wilson

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Emanuel Wilson

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

If Wilson makes the team, I'd like to think the Packers would have the automatic common sense instilled in their brains to issue him a different jersey # (Wilson is currently wearing Jimmy Taylor's sacred number 31........which bothers a lot of the old-timers). Also he may just have a little Jimmy Taylor in him (see video below).

https://www.packers.com/video/emanuel-w ... s-patriots

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 13:00
If Wilson makes the team, I'd like to think the Packers would have the automatic common sense instilled in their brains to issue him a different jersey # (Wilson is currently wearing Jimmy Taylor's sacred number 31........which bothers a lot of the old-timers). Also he may just have a little Jimmy Taylor in him (see video below).

You are correct. The end of that run is exactly how Taylor ran. I am sure Jimmy was proud to see his number on a RB after a run like that.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:31........which bothers a lot of the old-timers)
Meaning just you...?

Because nobody seemed to mind when Gerry Ellis and a number of other players wore the number. Just sayin'...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 15:07
Meaning just you...?

Because nobody seemed to mind when Gerry Ellis and a number of other players wore the number. Just sayin'...
Never knew it bothered him the entire time Amos was on the team. Or Davon House. Or Al Harris...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Silly complaint, 31 is not a retired number.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

By my count 14 players wore #31 after Jim Taylor.

https://www.packerstats.com/playersByNu ... d=1&nid=31

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Here's another beef:
The Cowboys finally won the Super Bowl in 1971 after acquiring Adderley, Caffey, Gregg, Ditka and Alworth.

Reminiscent of the Wolf team that grabbed Reggie, Dotson, Jones, Robinson, Risen, Howard, Jackson and Wilkerson.
Brilliance!
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 20 Aug 2023 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Aug 2023 15:10
APB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 15:07
Meaning just you...?

Never knew it bothered him the entire time Amos was on the team. Or Davon House. Or Al Harris...
Heck Yes, but not just me. Same logic applies to Hornung's #5. If Rodgers #12 gets retired ahead of the Golden Boy, I'll be livid as well.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
20 Aug 2023 17:21
By my count 14 players wore #31 after Jim Taylor.

https://www.packerstats.com/playersByNu ... d=1&nid=31
By my count that's 14 more than necessary.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If Ringo is upset, then I too…am upset
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 17:39

Heck Yes, but not just me. Same logic applies to Hornung's #5. If Rodgers #12 gets retired ahead of the Golden Boy, I'll be livid as well.
I have some baaaad news for you.

But while we're talking about Wilson...

Paul Bretl said the other day that if the Packers keep a 3rd RB it will be Patrick Taylor again, as he has everything you need from a backup--STs, pass pro, scheme knowledge and familiarity.

23 posted a tweet about the ST unit starts on the core 4 STs and Taylor led the way.

Personally, I think Taylor is a JAG (useful JAG, but a JAG) and there is zero reason to keep him over Wilson (or Goodson) in a year of youth like this one. I would MUCH rather keep Wilson, who can be any and everything Taylor is as a reserve based on talent, than Taylor.

Am I just not appreciating the nuance or importance of a RB3 to pass protect even when RBs 1 and 2 have that skill covered?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2023 19:51
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 17:39

I have some baaaad news for you.

But while we're talking about Wilson...

Paul Bretl said the other day that if the Packers keep a 3rd RB it will be Patrick Taylor again, as he has everything you need from a backup--STs, pass pro, scheme knowledge and familiarity.

23 posted a tweet about the ST unit starts on the core 4 STs and Taylor led the way.

Personally, I think Taylor is a JAG (useful JAG, but a JAG) and there is zero reason to keep him over Wilson (or Goodson) in a year of youth like this one. I would MUCH rather keep Wilson, who can be any and everything Taylor is as a reserve based on talent, than Taylor.

Am I just not appreciating the nuance or importance of a RB3 to pass protect even when RBs 1 and 2 have that skill covered?
And what if Dillon or Jones get hurt? Back in the day we had Tom Moore and Elijah Pitts to fill in if needed.
In '67 our RB corp consisted of Ben Wilson, Elijah Pitts, Chuck Mercein, Travis Williams and Donny Anderson. Grabowski couldn't play. So where's our competent back up running backs. 1 may not be enough.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

It'll be just like last year when they kept sure & steady Taylor over the raw but talented Goodson
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Aug 2023 18:24
If Ringo is upset, then I too…am upset
Thanks. Got ONE vote of confidence.
On this board we've got an unknown range of generations. Me, Yoop, Pugger and Bogey are Baby Boomers for sure. I have no idea what else we've got here (Gen X, Y, Z or Alpha). Some have little concept of Lombardi era history. Some do. This retired number thing has gotten out of hand starting with Canadeo, and seemingly ending with the omissions of Forrest Gregg and Willie Wood.
And there's still no valid excuse for keeping Jack Vainisi's name off the inner sanctum facade. Bob Harlan is still dead wrong on that one.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 20 Aug 2023 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
20 Aug 2023 20:27
It'll be just like last year when they kept sure & steady Taylor over the raw but talented Goodson
That way of thinking is short sighted and lacks innovation. By innovation I'm talking about having a guy like Desmond Howard or Travis Williams taking a roster spot that could be a game changer.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Every year the Packers has a RB that is awesome in camp and preseason and then gets cut. Every single year.

I love Wilson. I think he is different and special but I would be more surprised at this point if he makes the 53.

And as far as 31 goes.... that is the most Ringo post to ever Ringo. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2023 22:00
Every year the Packers has a RB that is awesome in camp and preseason and then gets cut. Every single year.

I love Wilson. I think he is different and special but I would be more surprised at this point if he makes the 53.
I see that MLF said today that his blocking, STs, and conditioning ( :shock: ) are still a work in progress/in need of improvement. That sounded to me like the standard "don't be surprised when we cut him next week"

We did only 2 RBs on the original 53 last year which I avidly argued wouldn't happen, but I guess with RBs being so devalued and therefore likely to be retained on the PS through waivers, there's not a lot of difference between having Taylor AND Wilson (and Goodson?) on the PS rather than any of them on the active roster.

I'd guess all three get cut.

But if they keep a 3rd and it's Taylor over Wilson, I'll be annoyed. RB3 doesn't play nearly enough to value his pass protection ahead of his upside--especially with Dillon and Jone's contact situations unknown after the year.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Aug 2023 14:58
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

You are correct. The end of that run is exactly how Taylor ran. I am sure Jimmy was proud to see his number on a RB after a run like that.
:aok:
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:

As a fellow Boomer, I have to disagree. There is no need to keep retiring numbers. This is especially true for a team with the history of the Packers. There is a finite amount of numbers that are usable.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Aug 2023 04:24
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

As a fellow Boomer, I have to disagree. There is no need to keep retiring numbers. This is especially true for a team with the history of the Packers. There is a finite amount of numbers that are usable.
That's it. Case is now closed. No more retired numbers.......including 75, 24 and freakin effin 12.