Stages of growth; 2023 young Packers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Stages of growth; 2023 young Packers

Post by Scott4Pack »

Now that week 1 is behind us, I wanted to track the signs of growth for this youthful team. We need these guys to play beyond their years in 2023. And I hope that means that we’ll see something regarding improvement of these young guys on a regular basis. Here are my signs from week 1.

Musgrave. He’s doing baby steps in running up to speed so far. But he has already established himself as a legit threat downfield. That’s pretty good for a rookie TE! As a willing blocker, he was also passable or good enough. Going forward, opposition Safeties will always need to account for him. We haven’t had a TE who could claim that since Finley.

Love. I don’t know how he could’ve done much better for the first “official” start as QB1. He had clunky moments, for sure. But he made money plays several times to move the chains and score TDs. We can’t assume that every starting QB knows how to produce TDs. But Love is raising the bar of expectations already. Next, he needs to show that he can do it consistently and against good defenses.

Reed. Yeah, he looks raw. But he already shows that he can provide a spark as a slot WR or as punt returner. If he sorts out some details of his game, like how to contend for catches in traffic, he will become a special player, I think.

Wyatt. He needed to step up in 2023. Week 1 shows that he did that and then some. He broke through the OLine numerous times. He might’ve had more impact for our defense than any other player.

Savage. Yeah, he’s one of the “old” guys by now. And he has underperformed the past two years. Frankly, many kinda had “meh…” thoughts about him going into 2023. But he might’ve had his best game as a Packer. Is he turning things around?

Carlson. After a spotty pre-season, the rookie converted 100% of the six kicks that he had. His kickoffs were strategic, not the out of the end zone kind. But thumbs up for him. Rookie seasons are very hard on kickers. But Carlson is having a good start.

Defense. With a couple of non-sacks of Fields to the side, I thought this defense tackled better than last year and gained more speedy pursuit to the ball than I’ve seen in a long time.

——-

On the anti-growth side of things, I’ll add these.

Walker. A pick-six not to be forgotten, Quay needs to show more physicality.

Dillon. Speaking of physicality, he promised that he would run over more people this year. But I think he was scripted into too many east-west plays to have the opportunity to do that. Packers need to script him more between the tackles and block well enough for him to generate momentum with his 250 pounds. He needs to do better and the scheme needs to use him better.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Sep 2023 10:49
We need these guys to play beyond their years in 2023.
I don't necessarily subscribe to this, actually.

I just need these young players to play within themselves, develop their skills as individuals and as part of a team, and work toward a future of competing for a championship. If, in their progression this year, they find themselves competing for the playoffs or even a championship, bonus!

This year's focus, though?

Just go out and refine your skills, develop some team chemistry, and have some pressure-free fun and let the seasonal outcome fall where it will.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
I didn't see examples of this being a reason to include him in "non-growth," or even not to include him in growth.

He'll be out for a concussion for a week most likely; not a good formula for a guy showing "more physicality," haha

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Sep 2023 11:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
I didn't see examples of this being a reason to include him in "non-growth," or even not to include him in growth.

He'll be out for a concussion for a week most likely; not a good formula for a guy showing "more physicality," haha
I think 2023 is a “prove it” year for Quay. Coming out of last season, especially with the 2 disquals, it seemed like the expectations would go up for him. I think part of that is that he would become more than a AJ Hawk type of ILB. He needs to cut through traffic and get hits and tackles closer to the LOS. Again, one game isn’t going to prove either way. But when I watch him, this physicality is something that I’m wanting and our defense needs.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Sep 2023 13:59
YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Sep 2023 11:21
Scott4Pack wrote:

I think 2023 is a “prove it” year for Quay. Coming out of last season, especially with the 2 disquals, it seemed like the expectations would go up for him. I think part of that is that he would become more than a AJ Hawk type of ILB. He needs to cut through traffic and get hits and tackles closer to the LOS. Again, one game isn’t going to prove either way. But when I watch him, this physicality is something that I’m wanting and our defense needs.
It is his second season and in no way is it a prove it year. Having said that he had the highest D grade at PFF for us. He's got speed and covers well and if the DL is the real deal like they seem, Quay is going to make a lot more plays. Seems to have his head on straight this year. So far so good.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I really like this thread. Wish I had the time to analyze each young player to the depth that they deserve.

Where do we start? The rookies or the 2nd year and higher guys?

Gary and Anders seem to be the superstars so far.

All of the guys have potential. Waiting for Nixon to break one soon!

The offensive line seems to be the weakest link.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Oct 2023 18:34
I really like this thread. Wish I had the time to analyze each young player to the depth that they deserve.
Why not just start with deep analyzing one player?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
20 Oct 2023 21:28
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
How about we start with Musgrave?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Oct 2023 21:58
go pak go wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Go for it!
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2023 09:28
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Oct 2023 21:58
go pak go wrote:

Go for it!

Luke Musgrave. 18 receptions through 5 games. Averaging around 8 yards per catch. Longest reception so far is 37 yards.

In 34 games at Oregon State caught 47 passes, scoring 2 touchdowns. Drafted in the 2nd round.........42nd overall pick. Ran a 4.6 at the combine

Wears #88 for the Packers.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Musgrave's ancillary usage metrics all scream that he will be a weekly TE1 at some point this season. In the full games he has played, he has a 72.7% route run rate, a 17.6% Target share, and 1.56 yards per route run (per Fantasy Points Data). Among 34 qualifying tight ends this season, those metrics rank 11th, 10th, and 10th. Musgrave has three red zone looks and three deep targets. Denver has been a dream matchup for tight ends, allowing the most receiving yards, the second-highest yards per reception, and the most fantasy points.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

He has been the best from this draft so far.

Moves more fluidly than I expected.

He wears 88.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
21 Oct 2023 18:34

He wears 88.
Cripes. Three sentences in one post. That IS a deep dive for you. :lol:
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2023 22:13
bud fox wrote:
21 Oct 2023 18:34

He wears 88.
Cripes. Three sentences in one post. That IS a deep dive for you. :lol:
I am not sure if he or Reed are the best of the draft so far. I am satisfied with both.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Ok. Someone pick another player please.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Musgrave needs to stop going dead on contact. This off-season he needs to develop his body and get stronger. The Packers are just dragging him across formation and putting him in position to catch and run but he goes down so easily. It was the same in college.

His blocking is better than expected but still nowhere near adequate IMO.

Love should be way more accurate than he is in his 4th year. He’s had so much time to clean up his mechanics that I think he is what he is. His down field ball either hangs or is so far off he doesn’t give receivers a chance. We saw two ducks that luckily drew PI against the Saints but now we are seeing those turn into the picks they should be. He looks like one of the worst QBs in the league right now. It comes as a surprise that a college QB who throws 17 INTs in a 13 game season throws INTs at a high rate in the pros. Awful player.

Reed has some drop issues early on but he looks like he is going to be a good slot player. He’s got playmaking ability and a way to get open down the field. He’s really refined for a rookie.

Wyatt looks really good as a pass rusher and absolutely atrocious playing the run. He’s too wild. He needs to settle down a bit and try playing the run. He’s left his LBs out to dry quite a few times this season.

Savage is and always will be a bad player because he lacks physicality. I was calling it in his sophomore year when everyone was claiming he was “breaking out.” I watched his dove at the ground and give up a TD to Cook against the Vikings and then I started paying more attention. He doesn’t like to hit and he isn’t physical enough at the catch point either and that’s why you see him in some truly embarrassing Moss’d moments.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Oct 2023 10:22
Brooks

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Oct 2023 14:25
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Brooks
Great. So now start working on it.

Where's Johnny by the way. It's WEEK 8 now.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Oct 2023 13:08
Musgrave needs to stop going dead on contact. This off-season he needs to develop his body and get stronger. The Packers are just dragging him across formation and putting him in position to catch and run but he goes down so easily. It was the same in college.

His blocking is better than expected but still nowhere near adequate IMO.

Love should be way more accurate than he is in his 4th year. He’s had so much time to clean up his mechanics that I think he is what he is. His down field ball either hangs or is so far off he doesn’t give receivers a chance. We saw two ducks that luckily drew PI against the Saints but now we are seeing those turn into the picks they should be. He looks like one of the worst QBs in the league right now. It comes as a surprise that a college QB who throws 17 INTs in a 13 game season throws INTs at a high rate in the pros. Awful player.

Reed has some drop issues early on but he looks like he is going to be a good slot player. He’s got playmaking ability and a way to get open down the field. He’s really refined for a rookie.

Wyatt looks really good as a pass rusher and absolutely atrocious playing the run. He’s too wild. He needs to settle down a bit and try playing the run. He’s left his LBs out to dry quite a few times this season.

Savage is and always will be a bad player because he lacks physicality. I was calling it in his sophomore year when everyone was claiming he was “breaking out.” I watched his dove at the ground and give up a TD to Cook against the Vikings and then I started paying more attention. He doesn’t like to hit and he isn’t physical enough at the catch point either and that’s why you see him in some truly embarrassing Moss’d moments.
again to harsh, not every player is a instant success story, and some players have not been a good fit in what we ask of them, imo Savage has the mentality of a SS minus the physicality to do that heavy lifting that we ask of our SS's to do, last half of year two he was one of the best ball hawks in the league, what happened ?:idn:

we do to much 20 front to expect a 3 tech to be a great run stopper, he's to light to 2 gap, but as a single gap penetrator he's often out of position to make a play on the RB, to me that is mostly a scheme issue?????

between Love and the receivers, and this mash unit OL, it's hard to eval anyone, most of our receivers barely have a 50% catch right, several even less, sure blame some of it on Love, to me more belongs on the WR/OL groups,

some here liked Laporta more, and with hindsight I think they where right, I think I saw him ranked 3rd of all TE's so far, I liked KIncaid, but his stats are about the same as Musgrave, could be that will change as he had a great outing last week.

to many mistakes, and it only takes one to stall a drive, we excel with stalled drives, we can't keep our offense on the field, to many injuries imo is the biggest blame for that.

thanks for your opinions, even though I differ with some. :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Oct 2023 07:04
TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Oct 2023 14:25
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Brooks
Great. So now start working on it.

Where's Johnny by the way. It's WEEK 8 now.
It's northern lights time in Salmar land, he's busy :aok: